Shouldn't Be Legal
What are your White Collar fanfiction peeves? What makes you gnash your teeth and hit the backspace button? Chances are others feel the same way! Vent your frustrations here!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Rainey13

So, why is it that some authors seem to think it's a badge of honor to NOT have something read by a beta? Many of them even acknowledge that they know there are lots of mistakes in the story.

I was just *trying* to read another story where the author note loudly proclaims that there was no beta. As with so many like this, there's a kernel of a good tale - but it's so horribly executed in terms of grammar, spelling, and continuity that it's really hard to even get through.

I'll admit here that I rarely have a beta for my one-shots. Unless the person I generally go to happens to be online when I finish something, I usually just read it over myself a few times. But any multi-chapter work, I want someone else to look at it and make sure I didn't make great leaps of logic somewhere that are going to confuse readers. (Because honestly, I know what I *meant* to say - shouldn't everyone else?????)

Besides, having a beta means there's someone else I can nag when typos STILL manage to slip by :-)

If nothing else, at least use spell check! Even free word processing programs like Open Office will check your spelling. (Heck, I popped this into Word to do a quick check before posting, and I'm actually pretty good at spelling.) But a beta can help you catch things that spell check won't - it's Neal, not Neil or Neill; Sara, not Sarah; Kramer, not Crammer... (And yes, I did just see a story with "Crammer" in it on another site.)

Don't get me wrong - I understand that this is fan fiction. I'm not expecting a polished, professional manuscript. I don't scream and rant every time I see a typo. (Unless it's in one of my own stories and I missed it...) But if you know what a beta is, and that you struggle with writing - then use one! We can all learn and improve. And that will make the experience better for everyone.

OK, that's my rant for today :-)

3/14/2012 #1
LithiumReaper
I feel the exact same way you do! Being an English teacher in less than two months, whenever I read a fic, I keep correcting spelling errors in my mind. It peeves me that a fic can have so many errors and still be published. I have this stupid rule that once I see more than 10 errors, I don't even bother reading the fic further. It's silly, but heaven only knows that it is impossible to read the story when there are more errors that actual plot. Use a beta dammit!
10/29/2012 #2
LithiumReaper
I feel the exact same way you do! Being an English teacher in less than two months, whenever I read a fic, I keep correcting spelling errors in my mind. It peeves me that a fic can have so many errors and still be published. I have this stupid rule that once I see more than 10 errors, I don't even bother reading the fic further. It's silly, but heaven only knows that it is impossible to read the story when there are more errors that actual plot. Use a beta dammit!
10/29/2012 #3
Forum Moderators: cleared account 02
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member