Order of the Furries
Providing CC to young furries everywhere. And also annoying Blizz. Help by spamming all forums above Clan of the Clouds. Good day.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »
swinging from saturn

House is too good for me! Too awesome. ;_;

6/4/2011 #91
Aspiring Mythmaker

Uh-huh...

Too the chat thread! *ziplines*

6/4/2011 #92
Stolloss

Reviews aren't showing up. This better not be the beginning of another two-week bugfest.

6/17/2011 #93
Aspiring Mythmaker

How long has it been?

6/17/2011 #94
Stolloss

I'm not sure, but I know that only a few reviews from today showed up in the pokemon section, and there are a number of stories posted today that received reviews that haven't yet come into existence. It only started today, though, so I'm hoping it's just a service down on FFN's end or something else as easy to fix.

6/17/2011 #95
Aspiring Mythmaker

Today, I stand to deliver the message, to you and your forebearers, for all of time, I fucking hate my hard drive! The adapter I've been using to get files from it is slow and power-intensive, and I can't justify trying back for 300 gigabytes of MASH and tying it down for that long, particularly when it refuses to transfer properly!

So yeah. As soon as I'm sure there's nothing to be done, I'm gonna take a sledgehammer to it.

6/27/2011 #96
A Tengu Reporter

I really hate mid-term projects. Stress, stress, and more stress! D':

7/5/2011 #97
Aspiring Mythmaker

Fuck this storm! STOP KNOCKING THE POWER OUT, DAMMIT!

7/12/2011 #98
Abandoned.See new ZefronsAngel

I think it's mean and stupid that you set up a club that reviews only to nit-pick. I think you should join FF for writing your stories, not criticizing everyone else's work. To be honest, the stories you write aren't that great, so why complain about other people's stories? If you're reading because you really want to read the story and you find something to give advice on, that's okay, but if you're just reading to critizice, then that's just stupid. I've gotten weird reviews, but I don't think I've gotten a review from anyone here, but people I talk to on FF have and I looked at their reviews and found them rather harsh. As I always say whenever someone nit-picks about my story, (i.e. "There's too much Troyella fluff...") "Well, I want to write my story this way and if you don't like it, you can click on the x in the corner." I've had nice people help me out with my writing, but I never listen to people that nit-pick. You're not being important or cool, you're being mean. Most the people on here aren't looking for a career in writing, they're just looking to have fun. You don't need to nit-pick, and you should only read if the story really attracts you.

7/25/2011 . Edited 7/25/2011 #99
Persephone999

We don't review only to nit-pick. We review in the hopes that it will help someone to improve their writing. I'd be happy to show you some reviews I've written to let you judge for yourself.

The only thing that does really irritate me is people who threaten to delete their stories or hold back chapters if they don't get enough reviews. Write because you enjoy it, not for mindless praise.

7/25/2011 #100
Aspiring Mythmaker

We don't review only to nit-pick. We review in the hopes that it will help someone to improve their writing. I'd be happy to show you some reviews I've written to let you judge for yourself.

The only thing that does really irritate me is people who threaten to delete their stories or hold back chapters if they don't get enough reviews. Write because you enjoy it, not for mindless praise.

Amen.

The Order doesn't criticize to be "mean," it criticizes so authors can recognize where they've made errors, or areas where improvment would make the story better. Many of our reviews are balanced; we praise what was done well, and criticize what was not, but we won't restrict ourselves to praise to satisfy the whims of the individuals who seek only praise.

As far as

"Well, I want to write my story this way and if you don't like it, you can click on the x in the corner."

goes, who says we don't enjoy the stories we criticize? I for one find some of the stories I review to be quite excellent, and I only seek to make them better by pointing out what they have done wrong. For some of these stories, the criticism is important, because some of the problems we point out in a story could cause the author's story to be deleted by the people who run the site. I wouldn't think anyone would have a problem with us pointing that out.

7/25/2011 #101

Yeah, but someone that was, judging by their profile/fics/favs, obviously not a fan of High School Musical, went in the HSM section just to nit-pick.

7/25/2011 #102
Aspiring Mythmaker

How were they nitpicking, if you don't mind me asking? I am of the opinion that all criticism should be given equal weight, provided it is valid, and not unreasonable.

7/25/2011 #103
Sextuple Covalent Mo2 Bond
I didn't know someone had to be a fan of something to leave a critical review in that fandom, or that they had to show they were a fan of something to review from that archive.
7/25/2011 #104

All they said were that songfics were banned. I know FF doesn't like you to use them, but who asked for the police? I understand that they want to point out that you're not supposed to have lyrics in chapters/stories, but they didn't say ANYTHING positive and the review was just like, "If your story is not strong enough to stand on its own, take it down and edit it." I've come across "stories" where people were just asking if anyone knew what a story was called. I would leave a review saying something like, "I think the story you're looking for it (title). However, you're not supposed to post things like this as stories, so just keep that in mind for next time okay? Hope you find the story you were looking for!"

7/25/2011 #105
Bitter Sea Light

I didn't know someone had to be a fan of something to leave a critical review in that fandom, or that they had to show they were a fan of something to review from that archive.

The more you knooooow~

:D

7/25/2011 #106
Bitter Sea Light

/butting in

All they said were that songfics were banned. I know FF doesn't like you to use them, but who asked for the police? I understand that they want to point out that you're not supposed to have lyrics in chapters/stories,

They aren't allowed because it's copyright infringement.

but they didn't say ANYTHING positive and the review was just like, "If your story is not strong enough to stand on its own, take it down and edit it."

Oh, honey, you should see some of my reviews. :P And while I'm at it...it's really difficult to say something positive about a story if there isn't anything. :P

I've come across "stories" where people were just asking if anyone knew what a story was called.

Yup. Reportable (and quite pointless, too). Not a fanfic hence it doesn't belong on FFN.

I would leave a review saying something like, "I think the story you're looking for it (title). However, you're not supposed to post things like this as stories, so just keep that in mind for next time okay? Hope you find the story you were looking for!"

*pats* Don't worry, when you get more experienced in the world of FFN, you'll lose that virgin innocence of yours. :3

7/25/2011 #107
Aspiring Mythmaker

All they said were that songfics were banned. I know FF doesn't like you to use them, but who asked for the police? I understand that they want to point out that you're not supposed to have lyrics in chapters/stories, but they didn't say ANYTHING positive and the review was just like, "If your story is not strong enough to stand on its own, take it down and edit it." I've come across "stories" where people were just asking if anyone knew what a story was called. I would leave a review saying something like, "I think the story you're looking for it (title). However, you're not supposed to post things like this as stories, so just keep that in mind for next time okay? Hope you find the story you were looking for!"

That comes under the heading of necessary, as a story can be removed, and in fact, the author banned from the site (in the case of multiple violations), if their story is reported. As far as those other "stories" you refer to, we inform them of this as well. We don't discriminate by fandom, we treat each equally. If that person feels slighted, they are more than happy to request a full and proper review (we have a thread for that, though it is each persons prerogative whether to answer that request)...after their story is edited, and in no danger of being deleted and making the reviewer's efforts a waste.

7/25/2011 . Edited 7/25/2011 #108

Knowledge is power, Mariah~ :D

but they didn't say ANYTHING positive and the review was just like, "If your story is not strong enough to stand on its own, take it down and edit it."

Order members aren't required to say anything positive. What's the review you're speaking of? Can I see a link, please?~

I would leave a review saying something like, "I think the story you're looking for it (title). However, you're not supposed to post things like this as stories, so just keep that in mind for next time okay? Hope you find the story you were looking for!"

I used to review that way, until nobody took me seriously and my inbox was full of pretentious spam. Now, at least I get my point across effectively while getting an inbox full of spam.

but who asked for the police?

We're probably the most liberal of all the major critic groups when it comes to reporting. Authors get a few warnings before being put in our report queue, and even then, not all stories are put in the report queue. ~8/week for members, but we can't stop people from directly reporting.

7/25/2011 #109

*pats* Don't worry, when you get more experienced in the world of FFN, you'll lose that virgin innocence of yours. :3

Are you saying I should be rude? I'm NOT new to FF. I've been here for almost two years and I have some dirty Troyella stories, so obviously I'm not as innocent as you think. And I'm NOT flaming people, so don't even try to talk me into your club. And "virgin innocence?" I find that to be a slightly offensive phrase. It sounds like you're trying to tell me to sleep with a bunch of guys. I know that's not what you mean in this case, but still, it proves thatyou'velostyourinnocence long ago with your language.

Anyway, I find it odd that someone would go look in the HSM fandom even though they have no interest in the fics. To me, it just sounded like they felt like finding something wrong with a story and ran out of fics in their fandom. By the way, the story was really good, so they could've said lots of nice things about it:)

Here's the review. It sounds like the person writing it wanted to sound so imporant by the way they put: "Member of the Order of Concritters." This was so not concrit.

Song fics are against the rules of the site due to copyright infringements and other such laws. If you believe your story is strong enough to stand on its own, then just take out the song lyrics. However, if you feel it isn't strong enough, then I suggest taking down the story and revamping it to make it strong enough to stand on it's own without song lyrics. Having song lyrics in a story is a reportable offense, so I'm hoping you are willing to comply with the rules the admins have set before us. Feel free to PM me with any questions. Lessthanthree, Carissa Member of ~Order of the Concritters~

7/25/2011 . Edited 7/25/2011 #110
Bitter Sea Light

Are you saying I should be rude?

Nope, I'm saying that one day you'll get tired of being nice when all you get is nonsense in return. :P

I'm NOT new to FF. I've been here for almost two years and I have some dirty Troyella stories, so obviously I'm not as innocent as you think.

Firstly, not a thing to brag with, and secondly...not what I was talking about. :P

And I'm NOT flaming people,

Awesome, neither am I. :3

so don't even try to talk me into your club.

Pfft, lose the ego, kid. ;)

And "virgin innocence?" I find that to be a slightly offensive phrase. It sounds like you're trying to tell me to sleep with a bunch of guys. I know that's not what you mean in this case, but still,

More power to you~ :P

it proves thatyou'velostyourinnocence long ago with your language.

It's as if you can see right through me! :D

Anyway, I find it odd that someone would go look in the HSM fandom even though they have no interest in the fics. To me, it just sounded like they felt like finding something wrong with a story and ran out of fics in their fandom.

Well...my fandom is Twilight. You can never run out of shit!fics in there, so...point shot down. :P However, since I've seen all the HSM movies and at some point found them pretty decent, who are you to tell me that I shouldn't read the fandom's fanfics? :P

By the way, the story was really good, so they could've said lots of nice things about it:)

I'm actually interested in seeing this story now. :P If you don't want to put it up on the forum, PM me the link and I can see if there are any nice things to say about it. Not as a review and only to you, if that's how you prefer it. :P

7/25/2011 #111

and I have some dirty Troyella stories

Thanks for the alert.

I'm NOT flaming people

I'm not either.

so don't even try to talk me into your club.

Mariah isn't in the Order of the Concritters. But we don't want you as a member anyways, so. :3

I find that to be a slightly offensive phrase.

If you're offended, you're doing it wrong.

and ran out of fics in their fandom.

Not gonna happen. We also do not specifically target rule-violators in the first place.

By the way, the story was really good, so they could've said lots of nice things about it:)

Could have, but didn't. I don't do this thing called "praise" except in a few cases. About 2% of all of my reviews. Several people are the same way, too. A well-rounded critique is the most rewarding gift one author can give to another.

7/25/2011 #112
Bitter Sea Light

Here's the review. It sounds like the person writing it wanted to sound so imporant by the way they put: "Member of the Order of Concritters."

I believe this is what they have to do. :P

This was so not concrit.

And yes, it was. :P

Mariah isn't in the Order of the Concritters.

Yes, I'm from a more ebul and 'bitch, please!' kind of group. ;D

7/25/2011 #113

Song fics are against the rules of the site due to copyright infringements and other such laws. If you believe your story is strong enough to stand on its own, then just take out the song lyrics. However, if you feel it isn't strong enough, then I suggest taking down the story and revamping it to make it strong enough to stand on it's own without song lyrics. Having song lyrics in a story is a reportable offense, so I'm hoping you are willing to comply with the rules the admins have set before us. Feel free to PM me with any questions. Lessthanthree, Carissa Member of ~Order of the Concritters~

Carissa is one of our senior members. That review's approved, fine and dandy. She let the author know of the potential for others to report the story. The review was constructive criticism by our standards... and hell, even by Mariah's standards. Yes, they are required to sign with ~Order of the Concritters~ on all official Order reviews. Carissa tends to sign on most of her reviews, though.

Yes, I'm from a more ebul and 'bitch, please!' kind of group. ;D

But I'm in that ebul group too. D:

7/25/2011 . Edited 7/25/2011 #114
Bitter Sea Light

even by Mariah's standards.

...You make it sound like I'm some sort of a super expert. XP

But yeah, it was a concrit as it didn't directly offend the writer. Or did you see a 'Omg, you are a terrible waste of space. Why don't you do everyone a favour and stop vomiting out those things you call words into your MS Word document?' anywhere in there? :P

7/25/2011 #115
Bitter Sea Light

But I'm in that ebul group too. D:

Yes, my darling dragon-boy, you have the best of both worlds. :3

7/25/2011 #116

...You make it sound like I'm some sort of a super expert. XP

To me, you practically are. I learned a lot from reading over a few of your reviews.

Or did you see a 'Omg, you are a terrible waste of space. Why don't you do everyone a favour and stop vomiting out those things you call words into your MS Word document?' anywhere in there? :PWell... if you rearrange those letters... :3

7/25/2011 #117
Bitter Sea Light

To me, you practically are. I learned a lot from reading over a few of your reviews.

Really? I didn't know that. :P

Well... if you rearrange those letters... :3

If you rearrange those letters, you can make it into anything. :P And "don't" can turn into a "do", too. :P That notice was perfectly civil and showed the author what her alternatives/outcomes are. There was a bit that was walking a fine line, but didn't cross it.

7/25/2011 #118

Yes, my darling dragon-boy, you have the best of both worlds. :3

...I almost want to say "BCBW" here, but~ :3

Really? I didn't know that. :P

Yeah. You and Kelvin both, really.

That notice was perfectly civil and showed the author what her alternatives/outcomes are. There was a bit that was walking a fine line, but didn't cross it.Which is all we ask. 03

7/25/2011 #119
Bitter Sea Light

...I almost want to say "BCBW" here, but~ :3

*laughs*

Yeah. You and Kelvin both, really.

Not surprised about that Kelvin bit. :) He was my mentor for a while. :P Until I grew wings and developed my own style. 03 We actually reviewed something together once. :3 I tore it up more than he did. XP

Which is all we ask. 03

And that's sensible. :P

7/25/2011 #120
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Sextuple Covalent Mo2 Bond Ten ways to spoil dinner, Conqueror of the North Wind, Aspiring Mythmaker
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member