Order of the Furries
Providing CC to young furries everywhere. And also annoying Blizz. Help by spamming all forums above Clan of the Clouds. Good day.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »
Sextuple Covalent Mo2 Bond

*laughs*

Hey, it's like... obvious. So... BCBW! :D

Not surprised about that Kelvin bit. :) He was my mentor for a while. :P Until I grew wings and developed my own style. 03 We actually reviewed something together once. :3 I tore it up more than he did. XP

The student surpasses the master! I learned from Kelvin's reviews how to write a proper abuse report too, really. His reviews are pretty formal sometimes. You two have taught me a lot.

And that's sensible. :P

:D

7/25/2011 #121
Bitter Sea Light

Yes, my darling dragon-boy, you have the best of both worlds. :3

...I almost want to say "BCBW" here, but~ :3

ALSO. This made me think of the following photo:

http://memearchive.net/memerial.net/page/1664.jpg

XP

The student surpasses the master! I learned from Kelvin's reviews how to write a proper abuse report too, really. His reviews are pretty formal sometimes. You two have taught me a lot.

I think we can't be compared. :P He addresses the stories on a more complex level while I address them by the feel. He's more like a pro and I'm your average person who knows something about stuff. :P I'll probably never reach his level. XP

7/25/2011 #122

http://memearchive.net/memerial.net/page/1664.jpg

I laughed. XD

I'll probably never reach his level. XPNot with that attitude you won't! There's always more to learn... especially when Kelvin's your proctor. :3

7/25/2011 #123
Abandoned.See new ZefronsAngel

No, I'm not giving the link. It's not my story, so I don't have a right to give the link out to everyone that asks. I train in classical ballet, and my teacher gets pretty harsh and critical, but when you're doing something good, she makes sure you know it. And if the proper, precise world of ballet is less negative than fanfic, then that means that people on FF need to not be so critical. It's fanfiction, after all. Not a competition for the Newberry award.

7/25/2011 #124

No, I'm not giving the link. It's not my story, so I don't have a right to give the link out to everyone that asks.

Don't care. You showed the review, so... :3

I train in classical ballet, and my teacher gets pretty harsh and critical, but when you're doing something good, she makes sure you know it.

I will not sugar-coat so the review turns out something like "Well you did this wrong... but that's okay, don't fix it! I mean, you did this in such a great way, so don't bother!" That review would end up being a waste of space and cancer to this site's servers.

And if the proper, precise world of ballet is less negative than fanfic, then that means that people on FF need to not be so critical.

You should make a forum that's anti-Order based. Make a statement against us and try to rally your anti-critical case.

It's fanfiction, after all. Not a competition for the Newberry award.

Yes it is fan fiction. Congratulations. Facebook is just a social network, but they still kick people who aren't who they say they are.

7/25/2011 #125
Bitter Sea Light

No, I'm not giving the link. It's not my story, so I don't have a right to give the link out to everyone that asks.

Very well. Since you're a stranger to me thus I don't know what is good/bad for you, I don't know anything about said story...I offer this as a common ground. I'm linking you to a story I reviewed not too long ago. What are the nice things you found in here?

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6273929/1/

I train in classical ballet, and my teacher gets pretty harsh and critical, but when you're doing something good, she makes sure you know it. And if the proper, precise world of ballet is less negative than fanfic, then that means that people on FF need to not be so critical.

*chuckles* Darling, you will find the highest sort of criticism in everywhere you look. :P The sooner you get used to it the better~

It's fanfiction, after all. Not a competition for the Newberry award.

Yup, and if they don't care what their reviewers are saying...what's the point of posting a story? :P

7/25/2011 #126

I'm not saying you should write your reviews like that. To me, a kind review structure should be like this:

Things you liked, things you didn't like (be kind), a kind conclusion

If the criticism is well-balanced with things you liked, even if it's just one thing, it makes reviews seem less threatening and to be honest, more people will listen if you add in those few words of praise than if it's all negative comments. If you're being negative, it'll just make people mad and they won't listen to your review. And you misunderstood the ballet thing. My teacher doesnotsugarcoat. What I meant is that she'll criticize you all she wants, but when you're finally able to do a step that has been giving you problems, she'll make sure you know you achieved your goal and tell you that you did good. That praise cancels out the harshness of the criticism so you don't feel so threatened by the harshness.

EDIT: Yeah, that review was mean. You described the writing as boring, dumb, and pointless. You offered no encouragement whatsoever.

7/25/2011 . Edited 7/25/2011 #127

a kind review structure should be like this:

One problem here. I don't review to be kind.

Things you liked Things you didn't like (be kind) A kind conclusion

How I review: Introduction (brief), things I found issues with/didn't like (with examples), brief closing, signature. I leave praise on approximately two percent of my reviews. Show's the quality of FFN stories.

If you're being negative, it'll just make people mad and they won't listen to your review.

Several people like my negativity in the reviews I submit and ask for more. Those that don't continue to act butthurt.

and to be honest, more people will listen if you add in those few words of praise than if it's all negative comments.

Nope. Plus, I'm not ruining my image and sugar-coating anyways. I'm not giving praise to authors whose fics I dislike for my critical reasons. Criticism should be what authors want to see in the first place. If you can't take some deeper-end criticism and learn, you're not an author by my standards.

7/25/2011 . Edited 7/25/2011 #128

Well, fanfic is just something I do for fun. I don't write stories outside of it unless it's a school project. If this wasn't clear already, I'm training in ballet, so a writing career isn't exactly where I'm headed. For me, I get easily discouraged. I actually deleted one story because too many people were flaming it and I didn't feel like dealing with all the flames. What if you were dancing for fun and I started screaming at you to keep your back straight and point your toes? I'm sure you wouldn't be happy at all.

7/25/2011 #129
Bitter Sea Light

Things you liked Things you didn't like (be kind) A kind conclusion

...I'm seeing a lot of kind. :P

If the criticism is well-balanced with things you liked, even if it's just one thing, it makes reviews seem less threatening and to be honest, more people will listen if you add in those few words of praise than if it's all negative comments. If you're being negative, it'll just make people mad and they won't listen to your review.

I see you talking, but I don't see you listening. :P The story I linked you to was a prime example of a story that may have some looks, but doesn't have anything in it. It's a fake-cake, so to say. And if you've spent a whole lot of time on a fake-cake...wouldn't you just want to say a few words to the cook? :P

And about not listening... There have been several cases where a writer has had a fit after receiving the review. The author then went on a rampage and a few months later...lo-and-behold! The author sends an apology and says that they had been childish before. :P

My teacher doesnotsugarcoat. What I meant is that she'll criticize you all she wants, but when you're finally able to do a step that has been giving you problems, she'll make sure you know you achieved your goal and tell you that you did good. That praise cancels out the harshness of the criticism so you don't feel so threatened by the harshness.

And that's how I do things as well. If you get praised my me, you have deserved it. But if you don't...I'll make damn sure you know what you've done wrong. I'm a honest person in every aspect of my life and if some can't take it... Well, that's too bad, isn't it? ;)

7/25/2011 #130

Yeah, but sometimes authors just like to write fanfics for fun. If we were all submitting our work to a publishing company, yes, we would expect criticism, but for fanfiction? We just want to have fun making up cute, fluffy Troyella stories. That's another thing: I've had someone complain about all the fluff in one of my stories. It's not supposed to be dramatic or have a specific plot, it's just supposed to be full of cuteness:) I write it because I love cute Troyella scenes, and if anyone has a problem with it, then they can just click out of it.

7/25/2011 . Edited 7/25/2011 #131

if anyone has a problem with it, then they can just click out of it.

If you have a problem with the criticism we give, you can delete your stories and restrict viewing of them to your family/friends through email or printing, however you see fit. Alternatively, you could get over it. But that's a long shot.

7/25/2011 #132

I typically either ignore complaints about too much fluff, the chapter being too short, etc. or else explain kindly that it's my story and that's the way I'm writing it. And just a suggestion: don't read my fics.

7/25/2011 #133
Bitter Sea Light

Yeah, but sometimes authors just like to write fanfics for fun.

Guess what? I still don't care and they won't get any special treatment from me no matter what. :P They put it up here, they were asking for reviews and they have no right to whine when they got a well-rounded critique. Truth doesn't have to be pretty, so~

;)

7/25/2011 #134

it's my story and that's the way I'm writing it.

See also: butthurt.

And just a suggestion: don't read my fics.

That makes me want to read your fics and leave you an Order-style critique. :P

Guess what? I still don't care and they won't get any special treatment from me no matter what. :P They put it up here, they were asking for reviews and they have no right to whine when they got a well-rounded critique. Truth doesn't have to be pretty, so~

Yeah, what Mariah said. :D

7/25/2011 . Edited 7/25/2011 #135
Bitter Sea Light

I typically either ignore complaints about too much fluff, the chapter being too short, etc. or else explain kindly that it's my story and that's the way I'm writing it.

And it's difficult to ignore a review that explains what's wrong with your story? For a ballet dancer, you sure are touchy~ :P

And just a suggestion: don't read my fics.

Oh, awesome! You can manage the list of authors I shouldn't read! :D

7/25/2011 #136
decidedlyindecisive

Okay, so.

/drops in

You see, if you put your work out on the Internet of all places, people are going to read it. Thus, there will come reviews; and with those reviews, there will, most likely, be both praise and criticism. A writer is not a writer if they crave only praise, even if they simply write for the enjoyment of it. You should always be willing to accept comments on your writing that differ from any positive ones, as having an open mind generally leads to better quality of writing and, perhaps, a better reputation among critic alliances.

Because, as one would imagine, they generally appreciate it if authors don't complain about having their errors handed to them and being advised to fix them. You can't expect much else if FFn itself tells you that well-rounded critique is the best reward an author can give another.

We make mistakes. Others point them out. This is how it works in life, so what's the problem with the same happening in the world of fanfiction?

I'm going to be blunt and say you're going to have to deal with critique. Not everyone will shower you with mindless praise. Not everyone will give you compliments. Not everyone will pat you on the head like you're a good puppy. You're going to be criticized, it happens to everyone. Get over it.

7/25/2011 #137
Bitter Sea Light

Scether, I don't know who you are, but...ILU. :D

7/25/2011 #138
decidedlyindecisive

Haha, it's Lumi. Change of penname and avatar 's all.

7/25/2011 #139
Bitter Sea Light

*pounce* LUMI! ^____^

Then you are rightfully loved~ ;D

7/25/2011 #140

To be honest, I don't care about how well I write and I only write for my enjoyment. There are quite a few people that happen to love reading fluff, so lots of people happen to read my stories. My stories aren't there because I want criticism. They're only there because I want to share the fluff with those that love it. With ballet, I expect criticism because I'm training in it and care about being able to get things perfect. It's because of ballet that I don't have hours to write a chapter so that it's perfect. I write it because I'm having fun making up cute Troyella situations and I like to share them with the many FF users that like the way I write fluff. I did recently try writing dirtier fics, but that's another story. My main point is, I hate that you formed an FF police force that "arrests" people for "bad" writing.

7/25/2011 #141
decidedlyindecisive

-pounced; hugs- Haven't spoken to you in a while, Maria. ^^

Hah, nice to know.

7/25/2011 #142
decidedlyindecisive

My point is that you're going to get some form of critique whether you ask for it not. Do y'think we're going to politely knock on your door and ask if you'd like a review before we go on and write one? The majority of us won't, and I'll be damned if more than a few people have ever made a request before going through with concrit. As I stated before, it'll come and it'll go. There's no point in making an enormous deal over having your errors pointed out, because frankly, everyone makes them. We're simply here to point them out and help you along.

Not a police force. We're basically the helpful citizens of this site.

7/25/2011 . Edited 7/25/2011 #143

There are quite a few people that happen to love reading fluff,

Myself included.

My stories aren't there because I want criticism. They're only there because I want to share the fluff with those that love it.

Criticism is still there whether you want it or not. It's still going to be posted eventually and you can't destroy that. There're several other options for you if you wanted to share fluff with those who love it, such as deviantART, LiveJournal or several other writing sites that don't have a reviewing feature. You're going to see criticism here whether you like it or not, pretty much.

It's because of ballet that I don't have hours to write a chapter so that it's perfect.

There's no excuse not to perform basic functions like spell checking and proofreading. By your grammar in your posts, I don't think that's a problem for you... but for others, it really is.

I did recently try writing dirtier fics, but that's another story.

MA content and explicit romance goes against FFN User Submission Guidelines.

My main point is, I hate that you formed an FF police force that "arrests" people for "bad" writing.

We're hardly the first and we won't be the last. We're the most liberal. We don't even put reporting onto our main agenda except for people who volunteer for it. We review and criticize. That's the equivalent of arresting, processing... but not convicting or inditing. It's like saying "Yeah, we know you were drinking when you're sixteen... do it again and you'll be indited, kay?" And if they do it again, the same drill until their stories appear in the report queue.

7/25/2011 #144

I'm not saying ALL criticism is bad. The kind that's okay is pointing out typos and giving gentle suggestions. Leaving 1000 word long reviews that are calling people's writing dumb and boring is what I'm saying isn't right. I'm not saying you need to ask before giving criticism, I'm just saying that there's nicer ways to put things.

EDIT: So you're going to report me for writing M-rated fics? The M-rated option is there for a REASON! I think someone's being ridiculous...

7/25/2011 . Edited 7/25/2011 #145
decidedlyindecisive

Generally there's something usefull behind a one thousand word review, unless said reviewer happens to be trolling. I highly doubt anyone would devote a review so long to simply calling someone's writing 'dumb' and 'boring'. There's something called advice hidden between the lines there.

7/25/2011 #146
decidedlyindecisive

So you're going to report me for writing M-rated fics? The M-rated option is there for a REASON! I think someone's being ridiculous...

No. As he stated, explicit content is MA, not M, a rating this site doesn't offer. Anything falling under such a category is report-worthy.

/apologies for the double posts, Jimmy; hope they aren't a problem.

7/25/2011 #147

The kind that's okay is pointing out typos and giving gentle suggestions.

Double standards.

Leaving 1000 word long reviews that are calling people's writing dumb and boring is what I'm saying isn't right.

My reviews (the long form ones) are sometimes 1800 words. And people who receive these reviews have thanked me every time because I have a failsafe in my reviewing system.

I'm just saying that there's nicer ways to put things.

I'm not changing my reviewing style, because several people enjoy my critiques. I'm not changing the way this group is run because it works and that's how I like it. :P

Harsh critique is accepted by many and astonishes many, to be honest.

7/25/2011 #148

Well, that's just too bad. Do you know how many millions of M-rated stories are on this site? You can't possibly report them all and clear the whole site of M-rated things, and to be honest, FF has no form of moderation, so it's not like someone's going to delete my M-rated stories.

7/25/2011 #149
decidedlyindecisive

I'm perfectly aware of that. Personally, I don't bother with the M rated fanfictions on this site.

7/25/2011 #150
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Sextuple Covalent Mo2 Bond Ten ways to spoil dinner, Conqueror of the North Wind, Aspiring Mythmaker
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member