Order of the Furries
Providing CC to young furries everywhere. And also annoying Blizz. Help by spamming all forums above Clan of the Clouds. Good day.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
Ever Heard of a Dictionary

Which is better?

2/17/2011 #1

Harry Potter is better, but there are some things in Twilight that I absolutely adore. The idea of "forbidden" is tempting, and the sly touches Edward gives Bella because he can't fully be with her is nearly...heart racing. ^^;

As for Harry Potter, I get into that book enough to actually wonder if there another world that Rowling knows of that we are unaware of.

2/17/2011 . Edited 2/17/2011 #2
bleachers

I prefer Harry Potter.

It's just...epic. OhlookatRachelflailforwords.

I mean, Harry Potter is the one book I've escaped into. It was my childhood, man.

Harry Potter is...love, for lack of a better word. It's just one of those great novels.

...if she'd stop fucking with it. D:

2/17/2011 #3

It's just...epic. OhlookatRachelflailforwords.

*Giggles* Harry Potter hands down. It got Wine at loss for words.

...if she'd stop fucking with it. D:

...Whut?

2/17/2011 #4
bleachers

*Giggles* Harry Potter hands down. It got Wine at loss for words.

I am rather epic, aren't I?

...Whut?

She keeps adding stuff to it that isn't it the book. Dumbledore wasn't gay. :(

She only did it to have the extra romance. OH, GRINDEWALD HURT HIM SO MUCH. [/spelling]

2/17/2011 . Edited 2/17/2011 #5

I am rather epic, aren't I?

*Pats* Sure. ;D

She keeps adding stuff to it that isn't it the book. Dumbledore wasn't gay. :(

I don't think so; I think they were in love, in the friends manner. I mean, it could lean each way, but I just don't see it that way.

She only did it to have the extra romance. OH, GRINDEWALD HURT HIM SO MUCH. [/spelling]

*Snickers*

2/17/2011 #6
wach

What. Is. This.

Sparkling vampires versus fecking citizen-killing wizards?

Lol. Wut?

2/17/2011 #7

*Stares*

You hate/dislike both~?

2/17/2011 #8
wach

HUSH. I used to love Twilight, but after realizing all of the faults of that book, I joined Team Hellsing. Fr srs. The Twilight series features bestality, necrophilia, pedophilia, homicide, suicide, and all ofthose lovely bits. o_o

So. :p

2/17/2011 #9

*Giggles* Not to mention stalking~

Don't worry, I still like(love) some bits about Twilight. -_-;;;;;;

2/17/2011 #10
wach

I think that it might have been a nice idea at first. But then Smeyer screwed it up. Honest? Bella's like the skinnier, younger, sue-ier version of Smeyer. And the entire concept came from a wet dream of Smeyer's. So.

But I wouldn't say that I hate that series. Just a bit of disregard, 's all.

2/17/2011 #11
gallaghergrl

Harry Potter is a Legacy ~ w o r d

2/17/2011 #12
gallaghergrl

It's a childhood, a way of life, another world. Harry Potter is a world wide phenomenon. There is nothing else in our life time that has moved to many people or brought they together under the common bond of great magic. HP ♥ . When people think of the decade of 2000-2010 I pray they think Harry Potter, and never once Twilight.* I will forever were my red and gold scarf prodly, remember little quotes from the stories, and be inlove with all the good boys & men of the series. The books and movies alike are undenaibly godly.

Twilight, is good in the fact it got million of girls to read something other than fashion magazines, which is always a plus. But it will never compare to the greatness, the glory, the ehjfghgvbhjvbdhnscdbjvs of Harry Potter, in my eyes. ♥

*I am biased on the fact I feel the plot it captiavting, but the writing poor. And the squealing fangirls annoy me.

2/17/2011 #13
Chaos Productions

I joined Team Hellsing. Fr srs.

YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAH~!!!!

I've never read Twilight - not after the base of reception it received. And yes, I refer to both good and bad reception... I heard even Stephen King ranted at the book, saying "She can't write". Then there are the fangirls - of which my sister is a rabid one. That put me off the book permanently.

So I also joined Team Hellsing. Booyah! Alucard is bad enough to own both Voldemort and the Volturi/New-whatevers/werewolves of Twilight with little to no trouble. He even killed the ancient god Set - fr srs....

Harry Potter is something I dub realistic. Harry's tossed into a prophecy, and the sweet thing is that he's ridiculously underpowered when it happens. Seriously, Bella Swan is supposedly 'ordinary', yet has the two most sexually appealing men in the story running rampant for her affections. Add to that the depression she falls into later on... Yeah, A Sue at her best. Harry was never that way - his own godfather died in front of his eyes after he had little to no family for easily 13+ years. You don't see him - who's younger than Bella - going all depro about it.

Yeah... H.P is what I consider to be on a worthy level next to The Elder Scrolls: A fantastic, awe-inspiring world filled with bright characters and wonderful plot twists. Twilight? Don't even get me started...

2/18/2011 #14
wach

So I also joined Team Hellsing. Booyah! Alucard is bad enough to own both Voldemort and the Volturi/New-whatevers/werewolves of Twilight with little to no trouble. He even killed the ancient god Set - fr srs....

YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAH~!!!!

YESSSSSSSS!!! *high-fives*

2/18/2011 #15
Persephone999

I prefered HP. It was less predictable- there was something to be lost in the series and you weren't sure who would survive. In Twilight, Bella is the author's darling- she has to win every situation, everything must revolve around her, she must be the best ever.

2/21/2011 #16
Brinkmess

You know, I always hated Bella and her strange ability to get everything she wants.

Which is why I love Harry Potter.

He gets NOTHING.

2/25/2011 #17
Persephone999

Stephanie Meyer breaks her own rules to make Bella happy, too. JK Rowling is consistent.

2/25/2011 #18
Brinkmess

Stephanie Meyer breaks her own rules to make Bella happy, too.How in the hell did Bella get to Italy? Did she have a passport on her? Why didn't Charlie bring out the belt when she went back?!

2/25/2011 #19
Persephone999

Why did Charlie decide to unground her after reading the article about serial killers? Even he wants her dead!

2/26/2011 #20
TheZeitgeist

Not to offend anyone, but I'm not a fan. I mean... I'm REALLY not a fan. I mean, I want to KILL J.K. Rowling and Stephenie Meyer.... is that bad?

-First of all, I think that Rowling has little originality. The Dementor thing was totally ripped off of Tolkien, and the whole 'rejected boy finds friends' thing... AND the whole Dursley family thing- while not cliche, that was just bad writing. I think that she was just writing something on a piece of paper, (She was poor), and she just HAPPENED to write about a somewhat abusive family and a pennyless kid. Ring any bells? Then, she was like- if only I had MAGIC. So she gives the boy a magical education, and then you get the series as you know it.

-Back to the family. How can ANYONE be so STUPID? I mean, magic? That's !@#$%#$ awesome! Even if they were prejudiced... what the hell? And prejudiced against WHAT?

-Back to Harry. Firstly, one reason I don't like him is because Rowling is a woman. She doesn't know how a boy, or a man, would think like. She has no !@#$%$# clue! None at all! Some characters were well-written, but also... a bit shallow. Not enough development. Like Fred and George. A thing that 'converted' me away from the series is that Rowling made him such a bloody wimp. And the education he received isn't believable. At all.

In the first year, he tried to (yes, tried- he failed miserably) save the Philosopher's Stone. I thought 'Well, alright. A nice way to bring us into the series.' Add a rampaging troll and a bastard teacher to the mix as well.

In the second year, what do we get? Another dungeon with another villain. Both times, it's Voldemort. I thought 'The climax was somewhat repetitive, and the build up was too long. ...that elf was frickin anti-productive, since he tried to prevent Harry from being killed by (It had the potential for it) trying to kill him. ....the fuck? But, Maybe the third book will be alright!'

-Sigh. In the THIRD book, we get a !@#$ load of cliches.... The Rowling equivalent of the "I am your father" from Star Wars. Ron's rat isn't a rat, it's a !@#$%$# pedophile. A friend's in trouble with the authority(Hagrid). And... time travel. What. The. Hell? Time travel? Time Turners? If they had THOSE, then couldn't Dumbledore prevent the deaths of Lilly and Potter(Within two days)? Couldn't he do SO many other things? And why give it to HARRY, of all people? He'll screw shit up, and he would have, if he didn't have Hermione with him! This creates so many plotholes, it's not even funny....

Anywho, I have places to be, but I'll address the rest of the series and that... thing of Meyer's later today. Or tomorrow.

Stay fresh,

JF

3/9/2011 #21
Ataokoloinona

You know what? They both aren't that great. Hooooooh snap. XD

(Thread domination is nigh.)

4/8/2011 #22
Persephone999

Harry Potter teaches us: Racism is wrong.

Twilight teaches us: Right, girls, you aren't worth anything without a boy, you should just stay at home and have babies, you need to be pretty to be of any worth, and if a boy abuses you then it's romantic.

4/9/2011 #23
within a sepulchre

I, personally, love both. I remember when I was around ten years old, my brothers would always try to convince me to read Harry Potter, and I just didn't want to. I would read two pages, declare that it reached a high level of suckityness, and then storm out of the room.

Gosh, I was an idiot. xD

I think that JK is absolutely brilliant; it's just one of the best tales out there. But I actually like Stephenie's style better. I've heard some say she writes like a fifth grader, and I just don't see it. I really don't. I get such an attachment to those books, that I've never gotten from any other, besides VC Andrew's measly collection. This is incredibly embarrassing, but I've read the series two times and bawled after I finished it. -facepalm- No lie. I go into a deep depression for days, choking on words like I want someone that loves me so much as Edward loves Bella/ Jacob's so hot. The list goes endlessly on.

But when it comes to the quality of imagination, I think JK comes out victorious. I'm sad that they're over, but then there's Pottermore coming out soon, so there's comfort as well.

Anyway. Sorry for boring you all. :P

-Livvy.

7/2/2011 #24
chronicxxinsanity

As for Harry Potter, I get into that book enough to actually wonder if there another world that Rowling knows of that we are unaware of.

...we can only hope.... :D

I'm all for Harry Potter. It's something I grew up with and have adored from day one. Twilight has had a few okay moments, some even reached the level of 'good', but nothing about it was spectacular, in my opinion. (Not to mention I absolutely hate Stewart from the moment I watched Catch That Kid. She just ruins the movie for me. (Books are okay, though.))

7/27/2011 #25
Peach Wookiee

Read both, liked both, but I like the Potter-verse much better.

I started reading the Potter-verse in college, and it captured me. The first book reminded me of Roald Dahl's work. The universe is deliciously complex and takes you all over. And about Albus Dumbledore's sexuality... what does it really matter? If that's how Ms. Rowling sees him, that's fine. It doesn't affect my view of what an awesome character he was. He was a good teacher and headmaster, and a good but flawed human being.

8/4/2011 #26
chronicxxinsanity

And about Albus Dumbledore's sexuality... what does it really matter? If that's how Ms. Rowling sees him, that's fine. It doesn't affect my view of what an awesome character he was. He was a good teacher and headmaster, and a good but flawed human being.

:D Agreed.

8/4/2011 #27
gallaghergrl

Roald Dahl's

Saw that and might have squealed. You're are a Dahl fan, oui? We are going to be the best of friends. It's been ages since I've met someone else who understands my love for all this books but most specfically when illustrated by Blake.

8/4/2011 #28
Peach Wookiee

I am a bit of a fan, Rory. It's been a couple of years since I last picked up a title, but I remember Dahl's work with fondness. My fifth grade teacher, a wonderful woman, had the class read Danny, the Champion of the World. It's been many years since I've read that book.

ETA: It's the common themes of child neglect and a boy's coming of age that perhaps tie the two in for me. And Dudley is like the spoiled plump character in Dahl's works; however, he enjoys a metamorphosis as the story goes on. Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia are a bit more like the aunts in James and the Giant Peach, though Petunia seems to have pangs of conscience.

8/4/2011 . Edited 8/4/2011 #29
queerasheckie

^Says it all

/bump!

9/4/2011 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: Sextuple Covalent Mo2 Bond Ten ways to spoil dinner, Conqueror of the North Wind, Aspiring Mythmaker
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member