Order of the Furries
Providing CC to young furries everywhere. And also annoying Blizz. Help by spamming all forums above Clan of the Clouds. Good day.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
Ever Heard of a Dictionary

Have any type of medical emergency? Questions? Curiosity? Ask away!

Whether it is about animals, or humans, we can probably answer!

Doctor Mandy is now in the building~

2/20/2011 . Edited 2/20/2011 #1

Are there ways to tell if your corn snake is sick?

Mine hasn't eaten for awhile. I can't tell if she's just being stingy or what.

And yes, I sent her to get ckecked. I'm just really anxious.

3/5/2011 #2

I think Jimmy's better off answering this question. I only know about humans. ^_^

But here's something that might be helpful:

3/5/2011 . Edited 3/5/2011 #3
Sextuple Covalent Mo2 Bond

Vet Jimmy is in the building too, yo~

Usually, that's the most telling sign that a snake is ill is not eating/lack of appetite. However, reptiles and snakes are less susceptible to multiple diseases, being that they are cold-blooded.

The snake may also be shedding. Check the eye color of the snake. If it's blue or red, your snake is shedding and may have little appetite for the shedding period.

For most diseases, however, (the non-terminal ones), the snake will get over them rather quickly. They have one of the most advanced immune systems of any lizard or reptile, with the exception of crocodilians.

3/5/2011 #4

Well Jim, last I checked, her eyes were not cloudy. (Being albino, they are naturally red)

I keep her cage nice and hot, and make sure her cage and water is nice.

Hopefully the news tomorrow will be good.

Vet Jimmy know anything about obese reptiles? By that, can they get obese? My sis got herself a dragon, and he's getting wide.

3/5/2011 #5

Made sure that her heat lamp is on in the early morning when she wakes up, and there is plenty of space for her to get away from that lamp, too. Heat exertion can really harm a reptile.

It's... physically possible, yes. Bearded dragon? I don't know as much about those specifically as other reptiles. Just cut down the food. Any animal/reptile/guinea pig/whatever can be considered obese.

3/5/2011 #6

It's a thirty gallon. I make sure the heat's on one side, so she can travel to the other to keep cool. I usually turn the light or heater on around 6am.

It's a bearded dragon. I know nothing about them. But yeah, he's kinda big. She insists that he isn't.

3/5/2011 #7

What's the weight? Do you have a picture?

3/5/2011 #8

He's about three or four months, and quite heavy for his age.

I can't supply a picture rigth now, but he is rather round. When you lay him flat on the ground, he has a mini pancake body.

3/5/2011 #9

I'd personally judge him as overweight at the least. She should cut down on the meals for him. Can risk multiple obesity and weight-related diseases that are not fun in the least.

3/5/2011 #10

Yeah. Luckily she was out for the day, so he only got one serving of crickets and lettuce.

Hey, Jim, on another note; what do you think about that cosequin? I'm considering it for mah dog.

I wanna know if it's a good buy.

3/5/2011 #11

Cosequin? Never heard of it. Link?

Tell her mah vet recommendations, yo. If it's that horribly fat, it will eventually become obese.

3/5/2011 #12

I suppose this one will work. I googles it and gets a bunch of offers...

3/5/2011 #13

I'd recommend that if your dog is large and susceptible to hip dysplasia, which is a bone disorder resulting from abnormal formation in the hips that is very painful. This may reinforce things and assist the animal further.

3/5/2011 #14

She's a old chihuahua with weak joints and bad knee.

Hip dysplasia one reason I stray away from the bigger dogs. That, and cancer.

3/5/2011 #15

Then I would recommend it. Do you think the dog has arthritis?

3/5/2011 #16

She may be developing it.

Aside from being old (she doesn't run as much as she used to), she has "rickety" way of walking that's becoming prominent. She doesn't jump on the couch as much, usually just gives one of us "the look" in order to be picked up.

I'll look into purchasing some.

3/5/2011 #17

Do that, and check at your vet office about more advanced treatment. How old is she?

Because I'm no veterinarian, I'm only on my way to a vet tech certification.

3/5/2011 #18

Well over eight. I wanna say nine.

She's relatively healthy, just a lil overweight since peoples keep feeding her (you tell them not to give her a cookie, and they give her a cookie). We take her on long walks to keep her active (she's put in a doggy pack when she's tired). She gets her attention, and her shots.

A vet tech is a good job. I took a few classes on Animal Health back in school. Never had the strength to bear with the "dying" issue. It's great that you have such a passion for them.

3/5/2011 #19

Nine can be young for such a small dog. These dogs can easily live to fifteen.

Some human food now and then can't hurt, just don't overdo on it.

She sounds like she was raised relatively well though.

You did? Did you enjoy them? :D I can't bear with the death either. It's not fun, and I know I am not the person to do euthanasia because I personally don't believe in it as a method of easing suffering.

Maybe we should poke the chat for the rest of this? :3

3/5/2011 #20

To the chat!

3/5/2011 #21

If anyone has any surgical questions, feel free to ask me. My husband is neurologist, and I myself have a background in surgery.

3/11/2011 #22

Oh, just remembered~

Is it common for eye surgeries to go downhill? Because I was once thinking of having my vision corrected when I'm older, and I heard that sometimes your vision just gets worse because the surgeon can mess up or sommat, so yeah.

3/11/2011 #23

It depends on the risk of the eye surgery. I believe you may be referring to cataract surgery, which is the most common type. Regardless of age cataract surgery increases your risk retinal detachment. Problems can occur after cataract surgery, like any majour surgery.

Around age 40 is when those with perfect vision as adults, their eyesight starts to go. This is when people most commonly start to get reading glasses. It of course depends on your individual case. The goal of cataract surgery is reduce your dependence on glasses and/or contact lenses, but some patients may benefit from reading glasses or distance glasses when they desire perfect near or distance vision.

From my understanding, that if some in their 20s or 30s gets cataract surgery, their eyesight will improve. However, perhaps around 45-50 they will start needing to use reading glasses, as the human body starts to stop working as they age.

I am no eye expert. I have never performed cataract surgery, but this is just a very brief, vague and general overview of the risks. If you are going to pursue this, please consult your own doctors who are more informed with your medical background.

~ Gwen

3/12/2011 #24

I figured I'd ask this particular question here, since it does affect me health.

I've been weaning myself off meat (so far pork, fish, and heavy amounts of beef), as well as fast food restaurants and other greasy foods, and have noticed a change in my diet. But not in the obvious way. I tend to get hungry faster and more frequent, but it doesn't take much for me to get full. I find that a whole sandwich will fill me up, and if I try to eat some chips or fruit, my stomach will start to hurt and I won't want to eat anything else. Also, I get sometimes get a nauseous/gross feeling when I smell certain meat by products (not just the ones I've removed either) and other foods that smell similar.

Is this normal, or am I taking my change to fast/slow? I want to keep my weight up and make sure I get the nutrients I need, but my metabolism is just being really weird.

3/27/2011 #25

I'm no doctor or Mandy, but I've cut all pig and cow meat out of my life. I cut it out cold. I never had any major changes in my metabolism that I can remember, but that was freshman year. I do try and eat plenty chicken and turkey though and my parents are good about substituting in ground turkey instead of ground beef. Maybe it is too much at one time or you are getting sick? I'm not all to well on the subject, but I do know that if you plan on going full out vegetarian that you need to read up on what vegetables you need to eat to get all the nutrients that you need to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

3/27/2011 #26

I'm not sick. It may be because I used to eat so much red meat and now I'm missing the protein... I do try to eat a few eggs during the week (when not eating small amounts of chicken). I know since I'm not eating heavy, greay foods that my stomach may have shrunk a bit, but me getting hungry all the time just to fill up on a small snack does bother me.

Sadly I lack support from the parents. My dad enjoys his pork and beef. I usually eat at work or on my own...I think I eat family dinners twice a week on average.

Cold turkey?That sounds pretty hard. Glad it worked for you though. :)

3/27/2011 #27

It sounds like your metabolism is speeding up- ( the getting hungrier faster.) Also, if you're not eating much greasy foods then the grease covered chips and whatnot would be gross feeling. I don't drink pop very often and when I do it feels very weird. If you're cutting out meat you need to make sure you are still getting protein somewhere. It sounds like you're still eating chicken? If you do cut that out you'll need to eat some protein food like beans, nuts, tofu, protein bars, etc. Protein is actuall in pretty much everything we eat, but in smaller amounts, you'll have to decide how much your body really needs. Protein will stop having you get hungry so fast. You need to get all your nutrients so you need to eat a lot of vegetables. Iron is important and it is in dark leafy greens, kidney beans and egg yolk (ew). I find I'm getting enough iron from my food, but some people need iron supplements and I did at the beginning. You can take a mult vitamin that would have your b12 and other vitamins you need. Women's One a Day is good. Or you can just take an iron supplement. You may not need one, though. Get your blood work done after you have cut out everything for a while. I feel gross when I smell or even see meat, so that's pretty normal. It's weird how quickly it starts to gross you out after you stop eating it - no one ever believes vegetarians DON'T want to eat meat. It's pretty normal. I don't think you're moving too fast. I cut it all out overnight and nothing bad happened to me. It may be that you're cutting stuff out but not adding anything in? I don't know. My suggestion for the nausea related to meat is cut it all out! :P but that may just be me. Wait! fruit makes you feel gross? What kind of fruit? Fruit is important. Maybe you're allergic to one kind of fruit??? Also, a diet that is really healthy and sounds like it might work for you? Is eating a small meal every two hours. It helps speed up you metabolism. Or just eat whenever you're hungry. If you're only eating healthy foods then it shouldn't be a problem.

4/2/2011 #28

Cutting out fish cuts off a lot of the vitamins. Have you tried taking Omega 3 fatty acids? Make up for the cutting back of fish. :)

Cutting off from the other types of meat is good, actually. Unless the meat is organic, it can always be harmful because of the hormonal injections given through factory farming. Those hormones in the meat makes a person's metabolism slow down and gain weight faster.

It is best that small meals are eaten 5-6 times a day, so I don't see anything wrong with getting hungry more frequently, as long as you don't have to eat much to satisfy the hunger.

Immediately cutting yourself off is unhealthy, because it gives your body absolutely no time to recover, nor get used to it. Our bodies need time to process the change, and therefore, bring slow changes to your diet; but since you've already started, it wouldn't be wise to back to the meats and unhealthy foods. As for the nausea feeling, it could be your initial reaction of adjusting to the new diet, food poisoning, your food tolerance to that particular products might be low or sensitive, or pregnancy; just laying the options. As for the fruits, it could be you're eating more than your body needs. When you're not eating as much fast and greasy food as your body is common to, your body starts taking the nutrients provided by the healthy food and starts to slowly build the metabolism up; so when you do go back to eating, your body might not agree with you immediately.

4/3/2011 #29
Aspiring Mythmaker

I've got an ingrown toenail. What should I do about it?

4/3/2011 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: Sextuple Covalent Mo2 Bond Ten ways to spoil dinner, Conqueror of the North Wind, Aspiring Mythmaker
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member