Order of the Furries
Providing CC to young furries everywhere. And also annoying Blizz. Help by spamming all forums above Clan of the Clouds. Good day.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Sextuple Covalent Mo2 Bond

[working title]

You've got questions, we've got MANswers!

Have a question? Whether it be about writing, the forum, reviews, or anything, ask away! Questions are not deleted, in case others could use them, too!

There will be a table of contents made for the first few/most practical questions.

Have fun~

3/1/2011 . Edited 3/1/2011 #1
Ever Heard of a Dictionary

Can we rent out men from this forum~?

3/1/2011 #2
Data Seeker

Hi

This isn't a prying question, its relates to ideas for possible stories I want to do. Anyone familiar with phobia towards clowns?

The reason I ask is I think Evil clowns are interesting villains, depending how their done and I think a hero who dislikes clowns and fights a clownish villain is interesting. I had an idea in my head, I realized that my villain wasn't a real clown. It would be like calling an ape a monkey.

Since I don't have a phobia of clowns, I can't understand the depth of the fear and dislike those that have a phobia of clowns go through. So the question, to those that have this phobia or understand it better, would people like jesters, mimes, jokers, or someone wears colorful make-up be considered clowns or not to those that dislike clowns?

God bless.

Data Seeker

3/1/2011 #3
Ataokoloinona

Why is the title of this thread so gender biased? I ask for all overly sensitive women... I mean human beings. :P

3/1/2011 #4
Lessthanthree-Carissa

Anyone familiar with phobia towards clowns?

Coulrophobia is the technical term for it. Its a relatively new term.

Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulrophobia

It's a psychological fear. I don't have it myself. I have the fear of falling. There is no real term for that and people seem to think I have a fear of heights. No, I have a fear of falling. I could be up really high and caged in and be perfectly fine. However, I panic if someone rocks a canoe over open water that isn't shallow or while I ice skate.

I think it really depends on the person on whether or not they'd be afraid of jesters, mimes, jokers and the like. If you want to know more, actually just go ask GodofFlame101. He's working on a Psychology major and should possibly know more than I do now Data Seeker. I wish you luck.

3/2/2011 #5
Persephone999

Does anyone know where potentially upsetting subjects/ moral dilemmnas would go on the rating system? I don't know if a story I plan to write should be T or M.

3/3/2011 #6
Brinkmess

What's the subject?

3/3/2011 #7

Anyone familiar with phobia towards clowns?

I'm not personally associated with coulrophobia, but I have worked with a woman with my mentor, a psychiatrist, to help her at least get at peace with the fear of clowns. She couldn't accept that she had the fear. As far as she's concerned, she couldn't look at any clown pictures, toys, or anything regarding a clown. There was one time when a picture of a clown came onto a television, and the woman grabbed at anything near her and threw it at the television screen, in hopes of shattering it and taking away the picture of the clown. Now, she was sitting on a couch; but she didn't get off of the couch to get away from the clown, she grabbed at any object near and threw it at the television, all the while clutching a stuffed animal that she's had since she was little. What I can say from this is that if the coulrophobia has gotten a bit out of hand, it can lead to temporary--or permanent, but I haven't heard anyone suffering into that--shock paralyzing.

The fear of clown starts at an early age, but for a few that it gets carried into adulthood.

A young child's fear could be understood, right? I mean, for a child to see a grown adult in huge colorful clothes, a wig, and garish makeup could be understandably frightening. But for an adult, who's afraid of a clown (perhaps one named Mr. Giggles) is silly, right? Something to laugh about? It's truthfully scary and embarrassing. What if that person's friends wanted to go to a circus? To have to tell them they're afraid of clowns and then get laughed at. What about not being able to take their own kids, or relative's kids to a circus or get them balloons from a clown because of the fear? It's emotionally scarring.

Some of the fears start in childhood by books or movies of sadistic clowns. Or it could be because of John Wayne Gacy, the Killer Clown. Not all clowns are nice, eh?

Think about it; a clown has a permanent expression painted on his face, usually of happiness. Most people, myself included in this, hold their stances accordingly to the expression of the other person and their prediction of how they'll behave; that's hard to do with a clown. What would you do if you thought about a happy clown being violent? Some children have strong minds, enough to make the "balloons turning into an animal" into aggressive, "strangling the balloon" scenario; insert confusion and fear here. The child is basically thinking that the clown is happy due to the torture he's enjoying putting upon the poor balloon. A clown, perhaps, jumping into a birthday party can be scary, too.

Most humans make the connection of the sadistic clown image in media to the past clown traumas and the constant happy expression and bright colors; thus the psychological reasoning develops.

That's about as much as I know.

3/3/2011 . Edited 3/3/2011 #8
Persephone999

What's the subject?

The story starts with a young woman(it's set in the victorian period) who tries to abandon her baby after getting pregnant out of wedlock. I wasn't sure where this would fall on the rating scheme because there's no outright violence and only a passing reference to sex.

3/3/2011 #9

Rated T.

For ages 13 and up with minor suggestive adult themes, minor violence, or minor coarse language.

/taken from FFN's rating guide

3/3/2011 . Edited 3/3/2011 #10
Persephone999

Thank you. I wasn't sure if I ought to bump it up to M for sensitive subject matter.

3/3/2011 #11

I believe rated M would be for some descriptive violence, and adult themes expressed, not explicitly, but enough with no nudity. ^^ You're welcome.

3/3/2011 #12
Data Seeker

Hi

Thanks for the response about clowns Lessthantree-Carissa.I'll contact this person you suggested.

Also, thanks Ever Heard of a Dictionary for your information.It helps.Sorry about your friend though.I can't imagine the agony she must go through.

Madame Apathy, your idea sounds passable to me.As for the ratting system, that depends on who you talk to.I think your story should be ratted T for mature reference.It doesn't offend me since you won't have bad language and sexual content or anything like it.I just dislike it when people use the ratting system as an excuse to use material like that (though it sounds like you won't do anything of the such).

As for this article being biased because the word "Men" was used, I don't think they were intending to offend anyone.Also, according to the Webster's dictionary, one of the definitions of Men is the Human Race.My female family members have no qualms with this fact.As for me, doesn't bother me, but if it really bothers someone (say a female) I see no compelling reason to not be sensitive to their feelings.

God bless.

Data Seeker

3/3/2011 #13

Also, thanks Ever Heard of a Dictionary for your information.It helps.Sorry about your friend though.I can't imagine the agony she must go through.

Space after the periods.

I'm Mandy~

And I've learned to keep a distance between patients. She was no friend and I am not sorry for that; it would've hurt me more than her if we were to proceed past the patient-doctor level.

3/3/2011 #14
Data Seeker

Sorry Mandy. My mistake about the relationship between you and that other person. God bless.

Data Seeker

3/3/2011 #15
Brinkmess

So...here's an interesting question;

Is it ok to use lyrics from Lemon Demon songs? You can download their music for free on their home site.

3/5/2011 #16

Possibly. Some people might view it as differently, though. In cases like this, it's best to be as clear as possible. If their music is not available for purchase and is available free on the Internet no strings attached, I believe that is public domain and acceptable.

You might wait for a second opinion before going just by my word, though. :P

3/5/2011 #17

Is it ok to use lyrics from Lemon Demon songs? You can download their music for free on their home site.

I...am actually not sure about the lyrical use, or song fics. I have contacted the admins about it awhile back and am still hoping they'd respond to me and clear it up. :/

3/5/2011 #18

Song fics are allowed, but the lyrics must be available on public domain, or the user's own work.

3/5/2011 #19
Brinkmess

or the user's own work.So, I guess that means their music is in the clear. You can legally download it for free on their hom site, as well as their lyrics.

Wonder if I should ask them though?

3/5/2011 #20

The site admins? It might be a good idea. Also, like I said, it's best to be as clear as possible in rule situations on this site.

3/5/2011 #21
Brinkmess

Actually, I meant Neil, the guy what writes the songs.

3/5/2011 #22

He wouldn't have much to say about the rules of a fanfic site. Ask the site admins first, I suggest.

3/5/2011 #23
Brinkmess

Yeah, but when it comes down to it, it's best to ask the guy who put effort into writing those lyrics. Admins may say yes, but considering I'm actually a fan of his work, plus I could actually reach him, it would seem fair to get his opinion, no?

I will talk to the admins.

3/5/2011 #24

Yes, of course. However, concern is on the breaching of FFN rules. Breach of copyright laws is on his part.

3/5/2011 #25
Venere Veritas

How do you make hyperlinks again?

I used to know...and now I don't. And it's really bothering me.

In other news, I totally forgot the existence of the caps lock button until recently. *is having technical difficulties*

3/9/2011 . Edited 3/9/2011 #26
Aspiring Mythmaker

Hyperlinks using what system?

3/9/2011 #27
Venere Veritas

Windows.

3/9/2011 #28
Aspiring Mythmaker

In Word, it's usually "Insert" then "Hyperlink."

Then again, I don't think they've got that any more. I think it should be under text format, though.

3/9/2011 . Edited 3/9/2011 #29
Venere Veritas

Actually, Word still has it.

Thanks.

3/9/2011 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Sextuple Covalent Mo2 Bond Ten ways to spoil dinner, Conqueror of the North Wind, Aspiring Mythmaker
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member