Order of the Furries
Providing CC to young furries everywhere. And also annoying Blizz. Help by spamming all forums above Clan of the Clouds. Good day.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Sextuple Covalent Mo2 Bond

Because we all need it at some point, yeah?

Ask your academic!questions here. If anyone's knowledgeable about the subject, it might help you say... finish your summer assignments because you have three days left.

8/4/2011 #1

So anyways...

I can't seem to find the oxidation rules in my Chem summer work chapters. Is anyone familiar with them?

8/4/2011 #2
Aspiring Mythmaker

Oxidation number rules? Well, a few:

Hydrogen is +1

Oxygen is -2

Alkalais are +1

Alkalai Earth are +2

Halides are -1, with exceptions.

Neutral compounds and free elements are 0.

Help?

8/4/2011 #3

So it's just the ion charge or what?

For example, the oxidation states we need to memorize are:

Cr 2, 3, 6

Ag 1

Fe 2, 3

Au 1, 3

Co 2, 3

Hg 1, 2

Ni 2, 3

Pb 2, 4

Cu 1, 2

Sn 2, 4

Zn 2

Those are all metals in the d levels, so. D:

Is there specific rules for those sorta things?

8/4/2011 #4
Aspiring Mythmaker

So it's just the ion charge or what?

Not exactly. I don't believe there are rules, per se, pertaining to transitionmetal oxidation states (though I could be wrong), so you'd have to either derive it or memorize.

8/4/2011 #5

Not exactly. I don't believe there are rules, per se, pertaining to transitionmetal oxidation states (though I could be wrong), so you'd have to either derive it or memorize.

Shit.

Uhh... would Google have those oxidation numbers, the correct ones? I've seen probably three different oxidation numbers for Cr 2.

8/4/2011 #6
Aspiring Mythmaker

Uhh... would Google have those oxidation numbers, the correct ones? I've seen probably three different oxidation numbers for Cr 2.

Probably. You'll want to find a good source, though. Failing that, I've got my textbook around here somewhere, though I'd have to go digging...

8/4/2011 #7

Does this seem to be right to you?

I have no clue what the hell it means.

8/4/2011 #8
Aspiring Mythmaker

At a glance, yes. It's from a .edu address, so it's probably good, and most of what I read checks out.

8/4/2011 #9

Ah clusterfuck. I'm lost, a bit...

8/4/2011 #10
Aspiring Mythmaker

It takes a bit to get the hang of it. I still don't quite get it...

8/4/2011 #11

Do you have an example at all? I can't figure it. I thought it was just a stern number you had to remember.

I mean... the actual wording is "Memorize oxidation states of the following monatomic ions." Ugh...

The article only made it moar confusing. Well... I think. *fail*

8/4/2011 . Edited 8/4/2011 #12
Aspiring Mythmaker

Oh. Then yes, just memorize. There isn't a general rule for transition metals, so far as I'm aware.

8/4/2011 #13

Oh. Then yes, just memorize. There isn't a general rule for transition metals, so far as I'm aware.

I mean... I don't know if it is a firm number or not, or if they're going to ask me questions like this one from the article:

"Determine the oxidation state of cobalt (Co) in CoBr2."

8/4/2011 . Edited 8/4/2011 #14
Aspiring Mythmaker

Oh. Well, in that case, Bromide is a halide, so it's -1. Since it's a stable compound, the oxidation state of the entire compound (CoBr2) is 0, which means Cobalt must balance it out.

Hence, X + 2(-1) = 0.

8/4/2011 #15

So the oxidation of Cobalt is +2 there?

This sucks...

8/4/2011 #16
Aspiring Mythmaker

Yep. That's it.

8/4/2011 #17

Thanks Myth. :D

I have some days so I'll study through those rules and see if I can manage 3/4 on the test of them.

I also have a few multiple choice questions (not many, at most... 5?) that I might shove here later if I can't find them after reading through the appropriate chapters again. Okay? :3

Danke. :3

8/4/2011 . Edited 8/4/2011 #18
Aspiring Mythmaker

No prob.

Good luck~

8/4/2011 #19

So... multiple choice in chapter 2 that I can't seem to find. Surprisingly, chapter 1 was the longest chapter... and I got all of it down.

Of the three types of radioactivity characterized by Rutherford, which is/are electrically charged? (Some answers eliminated).

A) Beta B) Alpha and Beta C) Alpha, Beta and Gamma.

Gamma has no charge, right? I know Beta radiation is charged because it's 0/-1 e.

Which of the following basic forces is so small that it has no chemical significance?

A) Weak nuclear force B) Strong nuclear force C) Electromagnetism D) Gravity E) Coulomb's law.

My guess is E... it can't be B. I mean... 'strong' in the title? :P

One more, and I feel really stupid for this.

Which pair of elements is most apt to form a molecular compound with each other?

A) Al O B) Mg I C) S F D) K Li E) Ba Br

My guess is C, because of Fluorine's electronegativity being 4.0...

Sorry for dumping this shit, I just seriously have no clue and the book is made of fail. Once we start taking notes on Monday I'll probably totally understand it. *nod*

8/4/2011 #20
Aspiring Mythmaker

Gamma has no charge, right? I know Beta radiation is charged because it's 0/-1 e.

Correct. Gamma rays have no charge.

Which of the following basic forces is so small that it has no chemical significance?

Coulomb's Law isn't a force, I don't believe. The answer's actually Gravity.

Which pair of elements is most apt to form a molecular compound with each other?

...I have no idea...Your guess sounds good, but I can't say one way or another.

8/4/2011 #21
chronicxxinsanity

Sorry if this is off topic from what you guys were talking about. This is kind of opinion-based, but it's academic, so this seemed like the right place.

I took several college classes last quarter, and I had one teacher (Economics) who absolutely hated when people used power point to point out the main parts of what we're trying to get across, and two others (American Government and Geography) who wanted us to.

What's your opinion on this? Does it add to or take away from a presentation when we have the main points up on the board? I ask this mainly because of the other few teachers who didn't seem to care one way or another. I usually like to, however, I want to hear other people's opinions on this.

Yay or nay on using power points in a presentation?

8/5/2011 #22

PowerPoint is a great presentation tool that Microsoft's made a bundle on. Yea on this one.

In Florida, it's required that seventh or eighth graders take a class called "Business Computing" or whatever. It teaches the basic functions of PowerPoint along with all Microsoft Office pieces of software. It's also very typing-heavy, so they teach the kids how to type properly. (I took it, but I still type my own way quick enough, so screw that). :3

It adds to a presentation, for sure. We had to use PowerPoint for IBET and ICET presentations (freshman Integrated Bio English and Tech and sophomore Integrated Chem English and Tech) at the end of the year. These were long-ass presentations and some kids had over 50 slides to go through for their projects. Newspapers were there and called it the academic happening of the year, and apparently, some people were astonished the 14 year old kids could even use PowerPoint properly.

It's only a good tool when you copy down main points and don't read directly from the slides. Who wants you to read them a book?

More expansion possible, if needed.

8/5/2011 #23

Okay... this is the last bundle of AP Chem bullshit to clog up this thread, pawmise!

Updated-- less questions now. :D

Update 2-- Haha disregard this post, all AP Chem summer assignments have been completed. :D

Chapter 2: Atoms, Molecules and Ions

Complete.

Chapter 3: Stoichiometry

Complete.

Chapter 4: Aqueous Solutions and Solution Stoichiometry

Complete.

I still don't quite understand spectator ions just yet... but meh. Test tomorrow, so. ^^;

Can't hurt to learn afterwards though~

Anyways... that's all from me. Thanks for being helpful. I owe you Myth. ^^;;;;;;;

8/5/2011 . Edited 8/7/2011 #24
Forum Moderators: Sextuple Covalent Mo2 Bond Ten ways to spoil dinner, Conqueror of the North Wind, Aspiring Mythmaker
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member