League of Extraordinary Fanfiction Writers
Hello, my fellow Suite Life writers! Welcome to a place where we can collectively discuss one of our favorite shows on Disney!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »
the-lovely-anomaly

I draw and sketch as well. Nothing wrong with that. Usually I don't do it for stories, though, but on my own personal time. I also like to cut out pictures from magazines and use them for inspiration. Whatever helps! :)

A technique I like for story-writing is envisioning the story playing out like a movie. I find that helps in constructing scenes.

3/2/2011 . Edited 3/2/2011 #31
tiger002

Due to my lack of artistic talent, that's not something I do much of to write, but I really like picturing the scenes like a TV show or movie. A lot of times I'll do that just before writing so I know what I want to happen and that gives me inspiration to write.

3/2/2011 #32
Elianna22

For me, movies and TV shows are great research materials. If I'm writing about a place I haven't physically been to, or a specific mood I want to capture, I'll often watch scenes from movies and TV shows for assistance.

Having not drawn for years now, I'm starting to think it might be a "use it or lose it" kind of talent. Incidentally I failed art in junior kindergarten for drawing/painting lines and dots instead of little houses with shining suns in the corner of the page.

3/2/2011 #33
the-lovely-anomaly

I use them as research materials too. Especially when it comes to places. I often picture a scene from a movie or TV show to help me describe a place, which I find to be a very helpful method.

In my experience it is. I've noticed that whenever I go a long time without drawing, I have difficulty starting up again. You definitely have to keep at it. I never failed an art class, but I remember getting in trouble a few times for drawing "inappropriate" things. :P

3/2/2011 #34
S.K. Millz

Nah, drawing's like riding a bike. I hardly ever draw anymore (used to every day when I was a kid), but I've still got skillz. See: http://thelocalrich.deviantart.com/#/d3akwsv

3/2/2011 #35
Elianna22

@S.K.: Nice gallery! Lots of variety there. I love the sunset photos and oh how I relate to the scenes of winter!

@TLA: "inappropriate" things? That just begs for more detail... :P

3/2/2011 #36
the-lovely-anomaly

I've always had to work on it, but that may just be me. I also have this thing where I try to outdo myself; whenever I draw a particularly decent picture, I try to make the next one better. That's not bad, per se, but it can add a lot of pressure.

How 'bout I post some of my drawings on DA? Wanna see 'em? :)

3/2/2011 #37
Elianna22

Yeah, post 'em on DA! Now I am curious :)

Once you've made a masterpiece, there is a temptation to want to make the next one better. Same with stories, no? :) As a child I drew constantly, what I guess would be classified as graphic novels with characters talking in bubbles while doing stuff, but it's been so many years now that I don't even have the itch to draw, although there may come a day when I pick up drawing tools again. A few years ago I took a drawing & painting class, but I just got bored with painting dull objects in the classroom like ladders and jars. Wrong fit, I guess.

3/2/2011 . Edited 3/2/2011 #38
the-lovely-anomaly

@Ellie: I once got in trouble for trying to recreate the famous nude drawing of Rose from Titanic, and I got fussed at for sketching George W. Bush as "Two Face" (from Batman); and somehow, in the 2nd grade, I managed to earn myself a seat out in the hallway for drawing a picture with storm clouds and lightning instead of sunshine and blue skies.

There were others, but those are the only ones I can think of right now. ;)

Btw, since S.K. gave his deviantART account, I feel I should give mine. I do a lot of poetry writing. Feel free to take a look and tell me what you think. :)

http://velocity07.deviantart.com/

3/2/2011 #39
Elianna22

The Rose example makes me roll my eyes, as does the storm clouds one. As for Two-Faced George Bush, yeah, I could see that generating some fussing :P Especially in the South.

I'll check out your DA works. No DA account here, though.

3/2/2011 #40
Elianna22

Immediate response: I love "Seeing Red." I love sunset images in general, and I *love* writing about them. Gotta have a sunset in every story! :)

3/2/2011 #41
the-lovely-anomaly

Somehow I knew you would mention that one. :P It was totally a coincidence that I happened to have my camera when I came across that. Oh, I agree: nothing beats a beautiful sunset! ;)

Not to embarrass S.K. (if he sees this post), but when you visited his gallery did you happen to see the picture of him playing pool and chewing on a straw? Good-looking feller, ain't he?

3/2/2011 #42
Elianna22

OK, now you know me too well! :) There's just something about a sunset—the colours they produce, how they blend together through layers and streaks and swirls. So poetic and natural. Sigh.

I wondered if that was him... agreed :)

3/2/2011 #43
the-lovely-anomaly

Well, in all fairness it does kind of stand out against everything else. :) I have a thing for sunsets too--how they can look so unique from each other, so elegant. They were made for poetry. Of that I'm convinced.

I personally requested that he post a picture of himself, and he was kind enough to do it. I just love that straw. And the glasses are adorable. :P

3/2/2011 #44
S.K. Millz
Lawl. I've been humanized. :P
3/2/2011 #45
Elianna22

Girls make passes at guys who wear glasses :D

3/2/2011 #46
S.K. Millz
I have this thing for chicks with hats. CWH. :P
3/2/2011 #47
Elianna22

I look amazing in hats. Not trying to brag, but they really do look good on me. Just a hat person :P

This is not a genetic trait, as my mom can never find a hat that suits her.

3/2/2011 . Edited 3/2/2011 #48
the-lovely-anomaly

I love hats too. They have this fascinating ability to complete a person's "look." I own several--even some old-timey hats. :P

3/2/2011 #49
Elianna22

Same here, even a few old-fashioned styles :) But I'll bet I have 100% more winter hats than a Southerner.... seriously, sometimes I think funky winter hats are really the only plus to winter.

3/2/2011 . Edited 3/2/2011 #50
S.K. Millz
Mmm... two more CWHs. :P Actually, it doesn't even have to be a hat, per se. I dig all sorts of headwear. Bandanas, headbands, even a little flower or something. Anything to accentuate the hair. A little kinky, I know. :P
3/2/2011 #51
Elianna22

Hair is sexy :)

3/2/2011 #52
the-lovely-anomaly

I have a 1930's-style hat that I absolutely love, and a 1940's "mobster" hat that I think is cool. :) You probably do, but it does get cold here in the South. It ain't all sunshine. :P

3/2/2011 . Edited 3/2/2011 #53
Elianna22

Most of my fun hats have wide brims. That style works best, plus is great for sun-protection, and I have a few cloche hats, mostly woolly winter styles.

Winter has been particularly cold in the South this year, hasn't it? We Northerners do sympathize!

3/2/2011 #54
the-lovely-anomaly

I have some of those too. Fun indeed. :) Sun-protection is a plus. And what's a Southerner without a cowboy hat? :P

I can't compare between the South and the North, but I can say it hasn't been the best this year. Although, last year was even worse. I can't even count how many car wrecks I saw thanks to snow and ice. Absolutely brutal!

But poor S.K. Judging by the pictures in his gallery, he never has it easy.

3/2/2011 . Edited 3/2/2011 #55
Elianna22

The sun gets pretty fierce here in the summer; I never go outside without a wide-brimmed hat. It's an essential. One my current stories takes place in Texas, so I've been wearing a straw cowboy hat for inspiration while I write.

If you're not used to snow and ice, I can imagine it's much worse to deal with. Cars don't have snow tires and cities don't have snowplows and salting & sanding machines on standby when a storm hits.

Agreed: S.K.'s winter photos inspire much sympathy!

3/2/2011 #56
S.K. Millz

Michigan winters are hardcore, especially right on Lake Michigan where I currently live. Summers can get really hot too.

3/2/2011 #57
the-lovely-anomaly

I rarely go out without a hat in the summertime either. Too much sun for my liking. I hate the cold, but I'd prefer it any day over being too hot. :) I've never actually been to Texas, but I can see how a cowboy hat could generate inspiration.

I'd consider myself used to it (I have to deal with it every year), but it's still a royal pain. We have salt trucks and snowplows, but they save the road I live on for last (figures!). There have been times when I could barely make it out of my driveway, but when I reached the main town it was smooth-sailing.

Yeah, my jaw literally dropped when I saw some of those pics.

Btw Ellie, have you looked at my poetry on DA? If so, what's your verdict? :P

3/2/2011 . Edited 3/2/2011 #58
Elianna22

All of that sounds familiar! Way too familiar... Toronto is pretty quick with salting and plowing, and all the Starbuckses being within walking distance takes the edge off. I've been to the lovely Texan city of San Antonio and it is worth a visit. The Riverwalk area is touristy but very scenic and a boat ride on the canal is just the thing for a relaxing afternoon.

I've been reading your poems on DA and while I generally find poems difficult to comment on, I do like them, especially the very short ones. It is a talent to be able to say something meaningful with few words.

3/2/2011 #59
tiger002

Here in Ohio we get a mix of weather, hot summers, cold/snowing winters, and the occasional hurricane. We're used to it though, so it's not too bad.

As for hats, I normally don't like them, but since I have to wear one for work, I've gotten used to it. Although, I like the hat that was part of my costume for a play I was in a few months ago.

And yes...poor SK.

3/2/2011 #60
« Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »
Forum Moderators: the-lovely-anomaly
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member