Last Apprentice Movie
The Last Apprentice is being adapted into a movie. Who would you like to see cast as Tom, Alice, the Spook and other characters? What ideas do you have about the film? All posts are welcome!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 Next »
WolfletteMoon

The question is, do you have any idea what sorceror's stones are?

I haven't read the Percy Jackson books, but I didn't particularly like to film. The eragon film was a complete and total catastrophy. I wouldn't recomend it to anybody.

6/16/2011 #61
lost-in-elysium

BEN BARNES CAST IN THE SEVENTH SON

It looked like Sam dropped out of the film. Ben Barnes is now playing Thomas J. Ward (he was Prince Caspian in The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian.) What happened?

When I first saw this, I thought it was a joke but I looked it up and it's all true. Check these links out:

h t t p://www. narniaweb. com /2011 /06 /ben-barnes-cast-in-the-seventh-son/

h t t p ://www. imdb. com/ title /tt1121096 /

He's a British actor, but he's nearly thirty years old so that's kind of a problem for me. He's a good actor, but I'm afraid people will only see the movie because of him since he's considered eye candy. Please post your thoughts about this! I'm shocked.

6/29/2011 . Edited 8/26/2012 #62
lost-in-elysium

I.am.not.a.vampire, are you asking me?

I know the Sorcerer's Stone in Harry Potter sense unless you're referring to something else.

I haven't watched Eragon but my sister read the book. I saw some of it and I could tell it was pretty bad. She said that the author was trying too hard to make the story good but it ended up being bad. Now that you mention it, I'll stay away from it but I never intended to read it anyway.

6/29/2011 #63
WolfletteMoon

Over here, 'sorceror's stones' means something entirely different... It's a little bit dirty.

They books alright, just for rule of cool sake, so long as you maintain a willing suspension of disblelief, and don't try to analyse it. The film was rubbish.

Ben Barnes? Seriously. *headdeskheaddeskheaddeak* I don't think he's too great an actor (or particularly god looking, either) and he's way, way TOO OLD!

6/30/2011 #64
lost-in-elysium

Oh... I see. I'm not going to bother asking.

My sister read the books and she thought they were bad, so she didn't bother to continue with the series. The film wasn't that good, either. All the books I read about dragons are bad.

I know. I couldn't believe it myself, but it's true. I don't know what these people are doing. He's okay, I guess and a decent actor. But I just wish someone else had the role. And he's so old! They must have bumped the ages up to teenagers or young adults.

7/1/2011 #65
StoriesForMuggles

Ben Barnes!!!!!! What?!?!

He's an alright actor, done a few British low budget stuff too that was good. well if it has to be someone older then im kind of glad he's semi-famous already because i would have preferred an older famous-ish person or a young unheard of actor. i reckon they'll put his character at 16, because its like 'coming of age' kind of thing, and it will allow people to be able to ship Alice and Tom without feeling guilty if that makes sense after seeing the film

Ben Barnes isn't bratty or anything so as long as the screenplay is good he'll do it justice

7/1/2011 #66
lost-in-elysium

Yep. I reacted the same way. It's surprising, but true.

I agree with you. I saw him in the Narnia films and Dorian Gray, but that's about it. I'm not sure if he could actually pull of as a sixteen-year-old, but we just have to wait and see. I also would have preferred a young child actor to be Tom, but that's not going to happen.

I hope he can pull this off. I know that he'll be able to do this.

7/1/2011 #67
WolfletteMoon

I suppose I'll just be grateful that they actually have at least one British actor in it, since all the other ones were American. I swear, if they try to immitate English accents, I'll have a field day.

7/1/2011 #68
lost-in-elysium

I know! It came right out of the blue. I went to The Seventh Son IMDb page and his name was up there. I first thought it was a joke since anyone can just post anyone up there but when I looked it up, it was confirmed!

He's a pretty decent actor. The only problem I have is with his facial expressions. Sometimes he's just passive when he's acting, not really conveying the emotions through his face but rather more with his voice. It would be more effective if he did both but he's okay, better than other people.

I agree. I like that fact that he's not insanely famous but he's recognizable. They've definitely raised the ages if they're casting people so old. It is coming of age, but it's annoying they never cast people who are closer to the character's age in nearly all book-to-movie adaptions.

Yeah. And he's a good singer as well.

7/6/2011 #69
lost-in-elysium

I bet it will be pretty funny like you said. But some actors do good jobs with changing their accents. (i.e. Sam Worthington (Jake Sully) in Avatar. You know he's Australian but his fake American accent was believable. He said that speaking the Na'vi language was easier than his American accent.) I wish they would cast British people in the British film, but as long as the leading roles are British then I'm fine with that (especially Tom and Alice). I've never heard of the actress whose playing Alice. So she's American? She's not very well known then if I've never heard of her.

7/6/2011 #70
WolfletteMoon

When I looked her up I'm pretty sure it said she's American, but I may have to check again.

The worst thing with fake English accents is that they always do either a posh London accent or a Cockney accent. Even when the character is not from London. If the American actors in this do London accents, it'll be a disaster. For one thing, it's all set in Lancashire, which is North-West. And Alice has a really thick accent, too, so it worries me. The best thing, really, would be for foreign actors not to fake the accent, since an American accent would (usually) be more believable than a bad fake one.

You know, I didn't know he was Australian. I would have liked him much better with the Ausie accent - sexiest accent ever.

7/7/2011 #71
lost-in-elysium

I looked at her biography on IMDb (it isn't much) but it said she was 'named as one of European films Shooting Stars by European Film Promotion.' I looked her up and it said she was a Swedish actress. And some of the stuff she's been in are in a different language, probably Swedish. No wonder I don't know her. I don't know what Swedish accents sound like but it should sound be close to the accent described in the book, I'm hoping. I could tell by her last name that made me assume that she wasn't American.

What's a Cockney accent? I've never seen any movies in which an American actor/actress faked an English accent except Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. His accent was pretty good but you could kind of tell a little that it was fake. Exceptional though.

Yep! By the way, have you seen Clash of the Titans? He keeps his Australian accent in that one.

I see you've changed your screen name. It has a nice ring to it. :)

7/11/2011 . Edited 8/26/2012 #72
WolfletteMoon

Swedish accents sound nothing like North-west English accents. If she tries to fake an English accent, it'll be terrible. If she keeps the swedish accent, they could play that quite well.

The one where they always go 'alroit gov'nor'.

Yes, I've seen it :)

It's my fictionpress penname.

7/12/2011 #73
lost-in-elysium

I think it would best if she just kept her accent (if she has one; I don't know) but if she's Swedish, more than likely.

Interesting dialect. Thanks for explaining. :)

Speaking of accents I found this funny video of the Harry Potter stars trying out American accents (I don't know if you've seen it already but I apologize if you already did).

h t t p:// www .huffingtonpost .com /2011 /07 /12/ harry- potter- stars- american- accent _n _ 895591 .html

I saw Clash of the Titans in 3D and the effects were terrible. It was a waste of money. But the effects were much better than the original.

7/12/2011 . Edited 7/12/2011 #74
WolfletteMoon

Oh, that's not the real dialect. It's what American script writers think they say :) Kind of like how they think all Texans say 'howdy partna' and all Australians say 'crikey'. Silly, really.

I've not seen it, but I bet it'll be goog :) Thanks for the link.

I only watched it in 2D, and I thought it was alright, though not nearly as good as older film like Jason and the Auganoughts. Good for the rule of cool.

7/13/2011 #75
lost-in-elysium

Lol! I never really heard anyone talk like that in real life. It's kind of stereotypical, especially about Texans saying, "howdy partna".

Okay. Enjoy! It's really funny. And you're welcome. :)

Don't waste your money on 3D. It's not worth it. I've heard of that movie but never saw it. I know it has something to do with Greek mythology though.

7/17/2011 #76
lost-in-elysium

The Seventh Son will be released on February 15, 2013.

h t t p:// www .imdb. com/ title /tt1121096 /news

7/17/2011 . Edited 7/21/2011 #77
WolfletteMoon

They're very good films. If you ever see them on TV, watch them. They're old, so the special effects aren't very good, but the films themselves are brilliant.

7/18/2011 #78
lost-in-elysium

I'll keep that in mind. Maybe they'll show it on tv, I don't know; they never show anything good on tv anymore. They show the same things all the time and it's so annoying. There are hundreds of movies and they always show the same fifty movies or so.

7/21/2011 #79
lost-in-elysium

This isn't really news but I just wanted to wish Ben Barnes a happy birthday! He's turning thirty today. (August 20th)

8/20/2011 . Edited 8/22/2011 #80
StoriesForMuggles

well i wish him happy birthday, but doesn't this just reinforce the fact that he should not be playing Tom. thirty? i ask you, what are these casting agents thinking?

8/20/2011 #81
lost-in-elysium

I suppose it does. I can't believe they cast a thirty year old man as a teenager, but I think they made Tom a young man now. There is no way that Ben could pass off as a thirteen year old boy! I think the casting directors are thinking that if they cast an attractive male lead, then girls would flock to the theaters to get some eye candy. I bet Ben has a lot of female fans, so it would help the movie a lot.

I think they cast older people so they could do more with the romance, even though it is virtually nonexistent in the first book. Romance is in every movie nowadays.

8/22/2011 #82
StoriesForMuggles

yeah like i said before i understand why, i'm just annoyed they haven't been more bold about it and taken a risk with a younger actor. ugh oh well. i'm not complaining if we get some good Alice/Tom romance... ;)

8/23/2011 #83
lost-in-elysium

I wish they did cast younger actors but nothing can be done. I know sometimes actors are older than they're characters in most cases but this age gap is just ridiculous. And I agree, I wouldn't mind some romance as long as it doesn't get in the way of the plot too much.

8/23/2011 #84
DubstepPhoenix
It's a large age gap, but (brace yourself for this) an interview with the cast at a San Diego convention recently made it all too painfully clear through the actors that they've agreed to actually change the character ages in the book in order to make the story more oriented around Tom and Alice's romance. If they turn this into a b*** Twilight-esque film then I'll make the film myself properly in 10 years. Only decent thing about this is Jeff Bridges - the man is a fantastic actor. Also, Alicia Vikander is fit, and matches most artistic impressions of Alice Deane well.
12/27/2011 #85
lost-in-elysium

I figured that they raised the ages only so they can do more with the romance and I'm disappointed. This book and the overall series is not romantic at all! It defeats the whole purpose of the story by them doing this. I understand that child actors are harder to work with because they have school and they can only work certain hours but did the actors have to be so old? I don't want this movie to be anything like Twilight; if it's going to get a whole lot of attention, it should be because people are fans of the books.

That's funny! I would never cast people so old. Ben's a decent actor but I don't see much of the others. I'm still willing to see the movie when it comes out though. It could be better than we expect.

12/28/2011 #86
DubstepPhoenix
Absolutely, I won't be missing the film! As long as they keep the romance as a background plotline and focus more on the actual narrative Delaney wrote for us, they could definitely pull it off. It's in the careful hands of some real professionals in the film business, I've still faith yet.
1/1/2012 #87
lost-in-elysium

I agree. As long as the romance doesn't dominate the plot completely and is kept as a simple subplot, I'm fine with it. I think this movie has a lot of potential if they do it right.

I was on IMDb and they said that they're filming in Vancouver and China. I wonder why they can't film the movie where the books are set.

1/2/2012 #88
DubstepPhoenix
An excellent point. Surely the environment that Joseph Delaney draw total influence from and tried to capture for our benefit should be the only place you'd ever think of filming in. There's a unique atmosphere to every different place around the world, though, and for now we're just going to have to trust that the Hollywood experts behind the wheel of this project found something special in Vancouver or China that the real Lancashire was unable to provide. My guess would be that perhaps Lancashire is not quite as cinematically stunning or visually appealing as the producers may have hoped, causing a relocation for filming. If I'm honest, though, I'd much prefer it to be done with all the gritty, archaic scenery that Joseph Delaney first took his ideas from.
1/3/2012 #89
StoriesForMuggles

i've a feeling the reason that its filmed there is not only because it's more cinematic, its because it could feel like a twlight-esque film.. sounds aweful i know, but i feel like that's where they're going with it. i really hope not though, all those panaramic views will ruin the sense of small villages in England at the time, and i feel its going to more modern too, like possibly not set back as far as we'd like it to be.. dear lord i hope i'm wrong D':

1/4/2012 #90
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 Next »
Forum Moderators: lost-in-elysium
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member