Grappling with Fiction
A forum to discuss all that we love and hate about wrestling...and also to discuss the many aspects of writing wrestling fanfiction.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 2
BubblyShell22

Ah, that would explain it then.

2/20/2012 #31
jcott3

I've been pondering my convention season for this year. I'm definitely going to Legends Of The Ring in June. They just recently announced that the night before, they will be doing a YouShoot Live taping - with Vince Russo! I have a feeling he's going to get roasted on a spit big time! The Philadelphia WizardWorld Convention is also that weekend, and their guest list includes CM Punk (**, Melina and Gail Kim.

I'm giving serious thought to attending the Extreme Reunion at the end of April. It's an ECW reunion with a meet & greet in the morning and matches in the evening.

I'm still up in the air about going to the NWA LegendsFest in Charlotte. My friend and I went in 2009 and 2010 and we had a blast both times. However, he may not be able to make it this year and part of me doesn't want to go alone. If it's a good lineup, I'll see.

3/3/2012 #32
BubblyShell22

Sounds awesome, JCott. If you do go, make sure to tell us how it goes.

3/8/2012 #33
jcott3

I wound up not going to Extreme Reunion and from everything I've heard about it, it was probably for the best that I didn't.

Last night was "Support Your Local Indy Fed" night as I went to see Pro Wrestling Syndicate's show. They had a stacked lineup that included: Bret Hart (guest GM for the night), Jay Lethal, Jerry Lynn, Jillian, Maria Kanellis, Marty Jannetty, Matt Hardy (looking very good, I have to say), Ox Baker, Demolition, Teddy Hart, Rocky Johnson, Becky Bayless (Cookie from TNA), Virgil and Colt Cabana.

Match of the night for me was Matt Hardy vs. Colt Cabana vs. Teddy Hart. For those of you who don't know, Teddy Hart is Bret's nephew (his real name is Ted Annis and his mom is Bret's sister, Georgia). He's a very talented performer in the ring, but his attitude in the locker room has made him a lot of enemies in the wrestling business. He's been kicked out of ROH, AAA, TNA and WWE developmental (twice!) because he just can't seem to get along with anyone.

The older guys who wrestled did not look too good in the ring. Ax and Smash have both lost a few steps (Ax is over 60 and Smash is in his 50's), and both wore T-Shirts in the ring. They didn't wear the leather bondage gear or the hockey masks they had back in the day, and Smash doesn't look right with his head shaved. Marty Jannetty wasn't any better. He's 52 years old, his hair is gray, he's pudged out enough that he wore a loose-fitting top in the ring and he just didn't move very well in the ring. He faced Jerry Lynn in the ring. Jerry's only a little younger, but he moved a lot better in the ring than Marty did.

Overall, a good show.

5/5/2012 #34
BubblyShell22

Cool. Sounds awesome. I miss Matt so much though. Glad to see he's doing well though. I've been worried about him.

5/23/2012 #35
jcott3

Had a very long day Saturday. First stop was the Legends Of The Ring convention. Some of the people I got to see include:

Lance Storm - he's shaved his head. He says it makes things easier.

The Dream Team - Interesting contrast as Greg Valentine looked miserable there and wasn't very talkative (but as a friend of mine pointed out, when has one EVER seen him smile?), but Brutus Beefcake was smiling the whole time, very friendly and open and looked great.

The Blue World Order (Blue Meanie, Stevie Richards and Nova/Simon Dean) - they were hawking their new Tim Tebow-themed T-shirts.

Bob Backlund - I've seen him at other conventions, but he is just so much fun to watch as he's always in "MR. BACKLUND!" mode.

Miss Kitty (cringe) - She was there in her "slave" outfit from when she was Chyna's valet. I hate to say it, but she had "cottage cheese" on her upper thighs. They did an interview with her over the PA. She was very gracious, but the guy interviewing her kept fawning over her like Jerry Lawler used to. I wanted to slug him.

Vince Russo - say what you want about his writing, but he was really nice to chat with.

Alas, my schedule did not allow me to stick around to chat with Matt Hardy, Charles Wright (Papa Shango, the Godfather, Kama Mustafa) or Maryse, as I had to shoot down the highway and over the Ben Franklin Bridge for Part 2: the Philadelphia Wizard World Comic Con. The wrestling people I got to chat with were:

Ted DiBiase - The Million Dollar Man held court and talked about how WWE making Raw a 3 hour show is a bad idea, because they currently have enough trouble filling a 2 hour show and their writers aren't writing for wrestling, they're writing "TV". I just wish I had been able to hear him better (too much background noise).

CM Punk - Due to the long line of people they were trying to keep moving, I didn't get to chat much with him.

Lita - she's let the red grow out of her hair, so it's now brown. I asked her if she's ever thought about going back to WWE and she said she wouldn't mind doing WrestleMania or some other one-shot appearance, but she burned out the last year she was there from being in the main event every night.

Gail Kim - our whole conversation was about her recent wedding. She had an outdoor ceremony, with perfect weather. Her wedding song was Two Is Better Than One by Girls Like Boys (song fic, anyone?). Her husband behaved himself during the cake cutting, but she didn't and they cancelled the bouquet toss because they wanted to keep the party moving. She partied down on the dance floor, he socialized more with the guests (probably subscribes to the 'real men don't dance' philosophy).

There were also some non-wrestling people I got to see like Bruce Campbell (you may know him as Ash from the Evil Dead movies, Autolycus from Hercules/Xena and Sam from Burn Notice), but I won't bore you with them.

A long day, but well-spent.

6/6/2012 #36
BubblyShell22

Wow. Sounds like you had fun, JCott. That would've been a blast.

7/27/2012 #37
IgNighted

The best wrestling I've ever seen has to be New Japan Pro Wrestling. Yes, there isn't much money in it, but whoever you see, it's wrestling of the highest quality. My personal favourites are Hirooki Goto, Hiroyoshi Tenzan and Lance Archer. Really quality and the G1 Climax series has to be one of the best wrestling contests I've ever seen.

In my opinion, the IWGP World Heavyweight title is far more valuable than any title right now.

8/20/2012 #38
jcott3

First, the bad news. I wasn't sure where to put this, so I'll put it here. Ric Flair's son, Reid, was found dead in a hotel room earlier today. He was only 24 years old and was slated to make some indy appearances with Ric this weekend (understandably, Ric has cancelled). He'd been training in New Japan and many were hoping he'd eventually wind up in WWE. I remember him appearing on Nitro a few times when he was a kid, shooting takedowns on Eric Bischoff and later, Vince Russo. I had really hoped he would get a better shot than his brother, David, did. David wasn't ready for the big time and was brought up to WCW because they wanted "Ric Flair's son". His little group with Crowbar and Daffney would have been better off in ECW. My thoughts are with you, Naitch.

On a brighter note, only a week until WrestleMania. Being semi-local, I've been busy getting my weekend ready. Friday I'm going to the TNA show on Long Island (I was torn between that and the ROH show in NYC). Saturday afternoon, I'm going to WrestleCon and that night, I'm going to Fan Axxess as I've never really been interested in the WWE HOF inductions.

3/29/2013 #39
BubblyShell22

Yeah, I heard about Reid, and I'm saddened by this. It's so hard to believe he's gone. I remember him in WCW and thought he was promising as a wrestler. Too bad he'll never get to follow in Dad's footsteps.

Ooh, I hope you had fun, JCott. Wish I could've been there.

4/9/2013 #40
Echokid14

Has anyone else heard of the Family Wrestling Entertainment (FWE) Circuit before? I just recently started hearing about them and I check out the roster it's pretty solid. I'll post back with most of the roster, but I was just wondering if this circuit or wrestling source might have the potential to make WWE, and TNA get their acts together by proving to be a real competitor?

9/27/2013 #41
jcott3

I've heard the name, but I've never seen the product so I can't comment. Let us know how it is.

9/28/2013 #42
BubblyShell22

Hmm, never heard of that circuit, but it sounds pretty interesting. Once you find out more, please give us details on the roster and other things.

12/9/2013 #43
Rirureddo

I have quite a few memories of WCW myself. Mostly ones that include Goldberg, the nWo, and the cruiserweight division.

7/31/2015 #44
Lodylodylody

So it's been very quiet in the forums for a while...let's see if things can get rolling again.

So ROH is still building. Hopefully they will continue and could gain more mainstream success.

Lucha Underground has done some interesting stuff...but their survival is questionable. Not making a profit...and the business relationship of their backers is one where the plug can be pulled on them at anytime.

GFW...uhm...where to begin. Sounds good on paper. Certainly has notable talent. But they have yet to have a TV deal. I expect them to be trying hard for a while to get established...but if they don't have some big initial success...they could go away.

Paragon Pro wrestling. Not getting a lot of buzz...and don't know if they will.

8/1/2015 . Edited 8/1/2015 #45
Rirureddo

I've heard many great things about ROH over the years. Never had the time to watch any of it yet though, but I hope to watch some of it in the future. I have seen Lucha Underground and it is very interesting and has entertained me a lot from the little I've seen. I look forward to watching more of it.

8/1/2015 #46
jcott3

I used to go see ROH all the time, either in Philly or when they ran the roller hockey arena in Elizabeth, NJ. From what they're saying, Destination America (the network that runs TNA & ROH) wants to get rid of all wrestling programming by the end of the year. If that happens, where do they go?

8/1/2015 #47
Rirureddo

Hmm, I don't know. Wrestling isn't as big as it was back in the day as far as TV channels wanting to pick them up.

8/1/2015 #48
Lodylodylody

If Destination America drops all wrestling, ROH will be fine as they still have their Sinclair group TV stations.

TNA is done though. Do you know that currently they are only taping new matches not for the purposes of a weekly wrestling program (because they soon won't have one) but to be the backdrop for a reality series that Dixie Carter is shopping around about HERSELF. The "captivating story" of a woman running a business in the male-domianated wrestling industry.

Only problem with that is she is not running a business. Even poorly run businesses are competent compared to TNA. This is why talent is deserting her in droves.

(And...consequently...why GFW will have a huge roster to work with if they can get themselves a TV deal...90% or more of the people leaving Dixie are running to Jarrett).

8/1/2015 #49
Lodylodylody

Oh I forgot to mention earlier that New Japan pro wrestling is now sending their programming...with English language commentary...to America on AXS tv.

Now that only reaches about 40 million homes...less than Destination America even...but New Japan in English has become a bona fide hit. So hopefully that will start to influence the other American companies...showing that there is a market for old-school pro wrestling instead of sports entertainment.

8/1/2015 #50
Rirureddo

That sounds entertaining. I'd love to see what New Japan Pro Wrestling brings to the table.

8/1/2015 #51
BubblyShell22

Yeah, I really liked Lucha Underground as they were very entertaining. I hope they stick around, but I probably won't be watching them due to other shows conflicting with it.

1/3/2016 #52
« Prev Page 1 2
Forum Moderators: Lodylodylody SilverTurtle
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member