Grappling with Fiction
A forum to discuss all that we love and hate about wrestling...and also to discuss the many aspects of writing wrestling fanfiction.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »

This thread is to discuss the aspects of writing wrestling based fanfics. What kinds of stories can be done with wrestling? Are stories better when the wrestling is treated as 'real' in the story or as strictly performance. Where should the line be drawn when incorporating 'real life' facts about wrestlers into stories? Etc.

2/22/2011 #1
This is where I should've posted my question, and I'll probably do that later, after things have gotten settled. :)
2/22/2011 #2

So to everyone who's written wrestling stories...what do you like to do? Write the wrestling as actual competition or play it all as performance.

Do you like to do mostly outside the ring drama or tie in the wins and losses of matches into the plot?

Are there any favorite wrestlers you have that you DON'T like to write about? Any wrestlers that aren't your favorites in real life but that you LOVE to use in fiction?

2/24/2011 #3

When I write in wrestling it's usually done as though it's all one big performance but that's because I like the idea that the feuds are all for show and all of the wrestlers are just great friends behind the scenes. It's part of the fluff and happy endings cloud that dominates my brain.

Outside the ring drama is my favorite play field but I have done at least one in-ring piece that I quite liked.

I have a LOT of favorite wrestlers that I don't like to write about. Like Mickie and Tara, any of the male wrestlers, I just don't think I could get their personalities well enough to do them justice. The ones that aren't my favorites that I like to use in fiction typically get used to wail on, which really isn't fair to them but is really cathartic.

2/25/2011 #4

So who are some wrestlers you'd like to see paired up in romance fics?

I like Chris Jericho with a lot of the different ladies, in fact I can't decide right now whether to try a Jericho/Victoria, Jericho/Jillian or Jericho/Gail story.

Melina and John Morrison are a great real life couple. Though I liked it better when he used the name Johnny Nitro. I like them with other people in fic though as well, not just together.

JBL also strikes me as a fun guy to use for a romantic lead.

Molly Holly is a great one to use for sweet and sappy romances.

Usual suspects like Trish and the Rock are always good. Mickie is great to romance other ladies. :)

I've recenty grown fond of the idea of a romance between Tara and the new TNA girl Rosita.

2/28/2011 . Edited 3/1/2011 #5

If you're letting us vote on what Jericho romance you try than I pick Gail.

I would love to see JBL in a romance story, he'd be a blast. And Molly is always a good choice.

Personally, I'm a fan of writing the femslash couples (which I blame you entirely for, Lody, my gratitude knows no bounds for you introducing me to wrestling). LayCool is my favorite pairing, but I'm also fond of Mickie/Tara, Beth/Rosa (that stalker angle could be milked for so much fun), Winter/anyone in TNA just for lols, Melina/Gail (mostly friendship though), Natalya/anyone really (recently Beth, either or both parts of LayCool, Taylor Wilde, and Melina), Hamada/Taylor (their tag-team dynamic would have been interesting to explore) and a whole host of others I can't think of right now.

2/28/2011 #6

A lot of it depends on what you want to do. A lot of what I do are in-ring storylines and me going "What would I do if I were in charge?" (I can't do any worse than Stephanie McMahon and her band of infinite monkeys known as the WWE Creative Team). I have tried my hand at other types (and will continue to do so), but in-ring seems to be where my niche is. Someday I'll get around to finishing or just plain doing some of the "outside the arena" fics I've had in mind.

I'm not really that much of a romantic, but if you're going to do one with Chris Jericho, of the women you listed, my vote goes to Victoria. I also must say that I've never been a fan of the cliche "wrestler's sister falls in love with wrestler's worst enemy" stories. John Cena and Randy Orton seem to be used an awful lot in those.

3/2/2011 #7

Yes, the amount of 'Mary-Sue' characters in wrestling fic is mind boggling. It's like 9 out of every 10 story summaries on the fic list read:

*Caitlyn is the newest WWE Diva, and little sister of (X). But she can't stop her feelings for her brother's arch-enemy (Y).*

I like good original characters...but there are already so many good female characters to use in wrestling that these 'little sisters' seem like overkill.

3/3/2011 . Edited 3/3/2011 #8

It's not that their "Mary Sues" (I wouldn't know if they are, I haven't read any of them. The summary alone turns me off.), it's that that seems to be a basic plot used WAY too often. It's almost like someone threw that out as a fic challenge and everyone is trying to write one. Well, everyone except me.

For some reason, I've never been able to get into a fic that features very prominent outside characters. Don't ask me why, I just can't.

3/3/2011 #9

BTW jcott...feel free to promote your fics in the *Cut some fic promos!* thread.

3/3/2011 #10

In my regular chats with my friend, SilverTurtle, I am constantly entertained by her (quite understandable) infatuation with the Rock. And I try to use this to coax new fic out of her...because a story with the Rock and LayCool would be too fun. :)

But this made me wonder if it might be fun for everyone to throw in a wild idea about using the Rock in a fic. The more outlandish the better. Here are a couple from me to start off.

- Backstage at Wresltemania 27...Rock is being pursued by Mae Young. He ducks into the nearest unlocked door which turns out to be the dressing rooms of...(fill in the blank).

- Layla (or another character...but I'm going with Layla here) has dreams of being a movie star and has written a script with a huge role for herself. She begins hounding the Rock to try and get him interested in it.

4/5/2011 . Edited 4/5/2011 #11

Well, thanks for outing my monster crush on Rock. Lol. It's not my fault I'm completely enchanted by him, I've always been fond of outlandish over-the-top characters (it's why I adore LayCool).

Let's see, Rock fic about he wants to do a documentary of the wrestling world behind the scenes and has a camera crew follow him around while he's backstage chatting up the other wrestlers, hearing storyline ideas, pitching ideas, going on road shows, attending conventions, and doing some ring work. I think it'd be interesting to see interviews of other wrestlers, past and present. Actually, that's less a fic idea and more something I'd just really like to happen in real life.

Ha, crossover crackfic, have the Rock somehow transported into the world of the Scorpion King and suddenly he's got to face off against his supernatural doppleganger.

4/5/2011 #12

I can't see a Rocky/Lay-Cool pairing. Michelle and Layla think they're better than everyone else and let's face it: they are NOT in the Rock's league.

Here's a thought: Lay-Cool are being their usual stuck-up selves to one of the other divas (could be anyone, but in light of their WrestleMania skit, we'll say Eve Torres) when Rocky steps in and verbally rips Lay-Cool to shreds as only he can.

4/5/2011 #13

@ SilverTurtle - Rock should be able to take the Scorpion King...after all...Brendan Fraser beat the Scorpion King.

(Rock steps in to protest. "That was a special effect...for a movie!")

It makes me think that Layla's movie idea should be for her to be the Scorpion Queen. And Michelle gets jealous (not understanding that Layla doesn't have any romantic designs on the Rock...she just wants to be a movie star). Oh, and Alicia Fox and Melina hear the idea and the both decide they want to be the Scorpion Queen instead. Too fun.

@ jcott - oh come on. LayCool is way better than Eve. They should totally pal around with the Rock. They can bond over the Florida connection (Rock went to school there...Chelle is from there...and Layla was a cheerleader for the Miami Heat) and bond over being super arrogant. :)

But let me repeat again...Layla for Scorpion Queen. :)

4/5/2011 #14

Has anyone ever had a story idea that popped into your head, it's an idea you don't really want to pursue for whatever reason, but it just won't go away?

5/1/2011 #15

Obviously, it's a sign that you must write this story.

5/2/2011 #16

I hope no one minds if I jump in here and bring up a new subject, but I'm new to Wrestling fanfiction and could use some help from experiences fans such as yourselves in regards to scratching an itch I currently have.

I really, really want to read a good, Full Cast WWE wrestling fic. I've found a lot of great WWE fanfictions out there, but they're always about one or two characters, and the rest of the WWE is lucky to be used as background, if that. I just really want to read a fic that fully engrosses the WWE Universe for it's variety, ya know what I mean? Anyone have any recommendations for me? Links are Love!

Oh, and though it's nowhere near necessary, Rey Mysterio is currently my favorite Wrestler in a big way, so if the story has a lot of scenes involving him, double rainbow brownie points for you! Thanks in advance :)

5/24/2011 #17

Sorry nobody responded to you yet, lovova. It's been too quiet here in general.

It's hard to write a story with a huge cast and have it turn out well. I can't think of any WWE fics that have fit the bill.

If you want just WWE ladies (plus others) you could read my fic. But that's not going to help out with the various WWE guys in fic.

5/31/2011 #18

The mary sue thing is annoying however I have to admit that I am guilty of mary sueing. but in all fairness the only character I mary sue'd is pretty original I only added a few of my quirks for an...idk I wanna say odd human feel...(I'm very odd)( but my characcter is only a tad odd...mostly 'mad like a fox' though) Yeah and I understand where your coming from when you say that there are already good charcters in wrestling already and I agree if ever I write in an OC I try to make the outsider a catalyst or someone who stirs the pot and brings out different dynamics from charcters that are already within the genre

8/2/2011 #19
Claire O'Mack

ok i have no idea what a mary sue is, but as for ensemble cast fics i do write them. both Legacy and Penance are multy character fics and if you wanted to check those out you might find it worth it. also i would say that 'a ring of their own' is pretty emsemble cast as well, plus it is a dam good read so try that oen as well.

8/2/2011 #20

While I have to agree 'a ring of their own' is a great story, I will also explain. To mary sue is basically when you write in an OC and then give that character your personality, essentially writing yourself into the world. However in most cases the character will anot only be you, but will also be enhanced in some sort of way ( is very nice, is very talented, has some sort of powers or abilites that no others possess, is related to someone important etc).

8/2/2011 #21

In addition to the above definition of 'Mary Sue' many Sues also somehow become the main character of the story and end up being the big dang heroes and often become the love interests of whatever character the author likes best from whatever fandom they're writing in (for instance a Mary Sue in the Harry Potter verse would end up saving Harry, defeating the Dark Lord, and end up married to Harry or Draco or Ron).

8/2/2011 #22

yep ti's pretty annoying and predictable...hmmm that's a bit hypocritical of me...well at least my OC are just normal no heroes, just normal, if anything outcasted.

8/3/2011 #23

My OCs tend to be supporting characters or villains to be killed off or gotten rid of. If I'm going to make an OC into a main character I'm just going to write a book instead of fanfiction.

8/3/2011 #24

While that's a sound way to go about handling OC's. I know I could never do it I always have trouble killing anyone off.

8/3/2011 #25
Claire O'Mack

well that cleard that one up thanks guys. and i have never written an o/c, but i do write a lot of AU sinarios or, i just do the old putting normal people in extoridary situations, so i guess i do change their personalities somewhat to fit the story. does that count? oh and i kill people off on a regular basis. i think it gives my stories a real sense of danger. sometimes when you know everyone will be ok and it will always have a happy ending the story can lose its edge. i say kill them off, the bring them back for revenge!

8/3/2011 #26

Writing AUs is not the same as writing OCs unless you're completely disregarding the core of the characters you're writing for. Changing them so they're unrecognizable as the character means you're basically writing an OC and might as well be writing original fiction. Switching up one or two personality traits or giving someone a different job is par for the course in AU.

Killing characters off can definitely add something to a story. Especially if the character is one readers are emotionally invested in.

8/3/2011 #27

Yes, I think it's important to point out that there's nothing wrong with writing OCs. Not all OCs are Mary-Sues.

AUs are fun too...though some people abuse them to the point of insanity.

Killing characters can be great fun. If you hate certain's fun to get rid of them..but if you love certain characters, then it can be REALLY amazing to put them through the wringer. One of my fave authors likes to say "We always hurt the ones we love the most".

Try this as a writing challenge sometime...take your absolute most favorite character in the whole world...and write a story where they have to die. How do you handle it? Do you examine all their emotions as they see their fate coming for them? Do you have them go out in the biggest blaze of glory imaginable? There are plenty of ways to approach it.

8/3/2011 #28

@lodylodylody Wow that sounds actually pretty cool think I"ll try that one out. It might help me get over my killing people off problem.

8/4/2011 #29
Claire O'Mack

i think i have run out of people to kill off, but i love getting rid of people i don't like, they are like pawns to me in the long run. i think when i am killing off a main character their death his to be a massive part of the story, i always make their death mean something, either to advance the plot, or to drive the other characters on. i also suggest giving them a few close calls to lure your readers into thinking you would never do it. can't ever put a price on the shock factor.

8/4/2011 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: Lodylodylody SilverTurtle
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member