The Mechanics of In Flight
One of my reviewers mentioned the idea of starting a forum for those who want to debate various points of my story without clogging up the review section too much. I decided to go ahead and give it a try.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
kittybear

Random General Chat.

This thread may contain spoiler.

If you want to talk/ask about something total unrelated(maybe related) to In Flight, post it here.

5/29/2011 . Edited by Mu-Sensei, 1/11/2015 #1
Rabe Addler

Why would all the Sol systems Types be wasting their time orbiting Earth pre death of Gaia ?

Funny thought: can you make Portal style(speedy thing goes in speedy comes out) portals with magecraft?

5/29/2011 #2
gwonbush

@Rabe

Don't ask me, that's what I've gotten from what little I know of Notes. And the Type that we know prior to Notes, ORT, is just wasting time in South America not doing anything on its own besides owning the 5th DAA.

5/29/2011 #3
Calpeto9

Let's say most of Humanity secures passage on a spaceship. Then they try to blow up the planets.

If you include that in the Nasuverse, All Legends Are True, then:

Chronos, the god of the Universe/time would be pi$$ed that we killed his wife.

The Sun would be pi$$ed we killed it's companions.

The Christian GOD would be pi$$ed we killed something.

Aliens with their own alien concepts of magic and/or technology and/or something we cannot understand will notice us.

The other Sols and Galaxies would notice us.

The Universe would notice us.

5/29/2011 . Edited 5/29/2011 #4
Rabe Addler

@Shinkir0

Except all legends aren't true. Female king Aurthur.

Once again I am reminded of how poorly people view the wonder that is their own minds. IF it exists, then a human mind should be able to understand it.

5/29/2011 . Edited 5/29/2011 #5
Calpeto9

All Legends Are True is an umbrella term, so there will be exceptions.

Like if I asked someone the various attributes of a metal, they would automatically reply that it is a solid.

5/29/2011 . Edited 5/29/2011 #6
Rabe Addler

And they'd be just as wrong, metal isn't a just a solid

5/29/2011 . Edited 5/29/2011 #7
Calpeto9

I don't fully understand your referance in the second sentence, but if you were talking about my point wherin we cannot fully understand an alien concept, then my rebuttal is that aliens might have brains that are both biologically different than our own and they would also have millenias of evolving in different environments so they can be different in ALL ways from Humanity.

5/29/2011 #8
gwonbush

To put it more exactly: in the Nasuverse All Legends are True. Except where they are wrong. They happened, but it wasn't necessarily exactly as described.

5/29/2011 #9
Rabe Addler

Different is not incomprehensible

5/29/2011 #10
Calpeto9

The point about the ALAT that I'm pointing out is that it is not an ABSOLUTE but the majority will be true IN THE NASUVERSE.

5/29/2011 #11
Rabe Addler

@gwonbush

In Nasu verse all legends we could base that on happen inside Gaia RM we have no way of knowing if it is the same in the for want of a better term the Universe's RM

5/29/2011 #12
Calpeto9

You say that now, when we haven't yet encountered an alien species from millions of light years away.

And how would we even be able to comprehend an alien's mindset if we cannot comprehend our fellow humans.

I mean on this forum alone I see scores of RAEG against each other precisely because we cannot get our point of views across to each other and we mostly have the same biology and relatively(or not so relatively) similar minds.

5/30/2011 . Edited 5/30/2011 #13
Rabe Addler

We can comprehend each other just fine we just don't agree on who is most correct.

The Big lie of most fiction would have you believe is understanding equals harmony, my friend all understanding brings is stronger feelings they can be good just as easily bad.

5/30/2011 #14
Maimakterion

There are plenty of things that we cannot understand. things the human brain's archetecture literally is not equipped to understand. so aliens evolved under different concepts could be incomprehensible.

On the other hand we are quite able to use those phenomena that are simply incompattible with our brains by understanding their effects and causes peripherally so to say we could not functionally operate along side such races is also not quite true.

5/30/2011 #15
Calpeto9

If we cannot agree who is most right that means our mindset is not fluid.

Tell me isn't it easier to stretch a rubber band to wrap around a tree? What do you think would happen if you tried to wrap your arm bone around a tree?

That'll be what happens if we try to "Comprehend" an alien concept. It's simply not possible unless your artificially alter your biology and then you wouldn't be human anymore so you won't qualify as a human that understood an alien.

EDIT: Oh yes, I never said we wouldn't be able live alongside with the aliens.

5/30/2011 . Edited 5/30/2011 #16
Maimakterion

maybe its just my brain addapting to thinking in different concepts to you guys, but being unable to understand them doesnt mean we wont be able to understand them

5/30/2011 #17
Calpeto9

I meant that for instance if a person who was blind, deaf, dumb, had no sense of smell, AND also no sense of touch, if you tried to explain the entire concept of Shakespeare, then they won't understand it. But we could somewhat sympathize with that person by thinking about hunger needs and other biological needs that most humans have.

5/30/2011 . Edited 5/30/2011 #18
Maimakterion

exactly

5/30/2011 #19
Rabe Addler

I admit we might never be able to see them as they see themselves, to do so would require us becoming them and thus invalidate the attempt.

OTOH I see no valid reason we could not form a understanding of them by the simple merits that our meeting would require us both to exist and interact under the same underlying frame work.

A common existential ground so to speak

5/30/2011 . Edited 5/30/2011 #20
Calpeto9

(Quote)Once again I am reminded of how poorly people view the wonder that is their own minds. IF it exists, then a human mind should be able to understand it.(Quote)

Your saying that a human mind could understand everything that exists, even alien concepts.

5/30/2011 #21
Rabe Addler

1) if not directly then we will build tools(reason) to help understand things

2)If it exists then it can't really be said to be alien can it?

5/30/2011 . Edited 5/30/2011 #22
Calpeto9

Anything that is not yourself is alien. People just likes to generalize and put humanity and everything else is alien. Hell, we even say that humans from other countries are aliens.

5/30/2011 #23
Calpeto9

It has been 10,000 years and we still haven't understood the Universe yet have we?

5/30/2011 #24
Rabe Addler

We say a lot of things to justify action taken to ensure our own survival some of them are even true.

5/30/2011 #25
Rabe Addler

9,800 of those 10,000 years were wasted on figuring out how to feed ourselves, the last 200+ years have been nothing if not informative

5/30/2011 . Edited 5/30/2011 #26
Calpeto9

(Quote)10,000 years of which 9,800 we're wasted just figuring out how to feed and cloth most of us(Quote)

Those still counts as the years. I mean how long do you think it would take humanity to understand the universe from now. 150 Years? That is not realistic. I'd say give it at least tens of millions of years and we might understand everything, but by then we wouldn't exist. And even if we understood the universe, who's to say that there isn't more than just the universe. the universe might itself just be a single cell or organism to a much larger being.

I don't think that I'm on the same page here. I'm stopping my ameratuerish attempts at philosophy before an argument erupts.

5/30/2011 . Edited 5/30/2011 #27
Rabe Addler

@Shinkir0

Ah Philosophy, Reason's dead beat English major passed out on the couch cousin.

You're making the right call here, associating with such a reprobate is sure to come to no good.

Also you might want look up a few logical fallacies check under "arguments from ignorance" see what you think?

5/30/2011 . Edited 5/30/2011 #28
NanayaMode

Silly humans. Thinking that they can fit infinite understanding in their finite brains.

5/30/2011 #29
Rabe Addler

Infinite understanding in a single human mind?

No, that is simply arrogance;also a potential misapplication of the concept of infinity

Enough understanding to utilize what came before and push into the unknown, hells yes.

5/30/2011 . Edited 5/30/2011 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: gabriel blessing Obiki Doragon, Mu-Sensei
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member