The Mechanics of In Flight
One of my reviewers mentioned the idea of starting a forum for those who want to debate various points of my story without clogging up the review section too much. I decided to go ahead and give it a try.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Soup Fish

Post directly to gabe here. While other threads are for discussion and such only messages that you want to post to gabe should go here. It should be questions or ideas only, avoid prolonged conversation with other posters.

11/10/2011 #1
Third Fang

k... I guess I'll start things off I guess. Since GB shut off his PM I guess I'll just do it here. I was wondering if I could bounce some ideas for my fic From Fake Dreams off of you and see if they sound all right in terms of continuity, fluency and overall usability. I have some major events that I know I'm using, but some of the in between stuff I'm still on the fence on.

11/10/2011 #2
gabriel blessing

To Third Fang:

I've actually been following Fake Dreams for a while. Positively loving it by the way. Not sure how much good I'll do as a proof or a beta or anything, but I don't mind playing a sounding board either. Just keep up the good work! It'd be a shame to see a pure F/sn gem like Fake Dreams end up abandoned or anything.

11/10/2011 #3

if this is sorta GB q&a, i'm somewhat curious to know what he thinks about the emiya clan.

...and also curious if he had any comments about my "scrapped" story (shameless review soliciting, away!)

11/10/2011 #4

Just finished re-reading chapter 7;

I think the biggest interest that's on my mind with IF is Shirou's relationship with his mom, Takami. GB, do you have any scenes planned for Takami and Shirou in the next couple of chapters? And where do you think you would like to take their relationship in IF?

Great to see you back, and keep up the good work! =D

11/10/2011 #5
Soup Fish

The Ashikabi of the south has a Sekerie that can create mist that obscures vision right?

Well in the anime she combines this with Akitsus power to create a freezing mist. Now though Akitsu is on Shirou's side so she cant exactly use that. As this was kind of the south trump car (Aside from Mutsu and Akitsu herself) I was thinking that it needed replacment. So how about this? The South has all those new Sekerei so what if one was a poison Sekerie and she could combine it with the mist to make poisoned fog that would be just as bad as freezing fog and quite a tactical challenge for Shirou. Plus poison is a fairly common power and I don't think it has been used yet. Also it could explane how the south got so many Sekerei in the first place. In this universe he got the poison Sekerie early on instead of Akitsu and she would poison unwinged ones and then the south would follow them until they collapsed from weakness and then wing them. I think this theory makes sense, works out well and would create a very nice problem for the protagonists.

11/10/2011 #6

@Grimgor Ironhide

Good idea, but Shirou has Avalon, and I think his Magic Resistance is very high, so it wouldn't pose a huge problem to him...probably.

11/11/2011 #7
gabriel blessing

To throwaway:

I'm gonna be honest, I stopped following the Emiya Clan a long time ago. It makes me laugh to see how far its evolved, and I'm glad that everyone is enjoying it so much, but I just can't keep track with it! Emiya Clan has long since evolved into its own little story, which might have been inspired at the beginning by In Flight, but now is its own proud little circle, so I wish all the participants god speed and hope they have fun with it!

And as for your Scrapped Omake, I did follow that one, and I thought it was particularly well done. Honestly, I think you should lift it from the threads and publish it as a stand alone story on its own. It doesn't even have to be put in the crossover section. With the vague ending about who found her, it could be read as a Sekirei only story as well.

11/11/2011 #8
gabriel blessing

To MokoFooja:

Shirou's relation with Takami is a little hard to work in to In Flight naturally. In Sekirei, Takami only shows up on occasion in order to act as either a plot device or a foil to Minaka's mad ramblings. I do want to work Takami in more, and during the final arc she should have a pretty large role, but until then it just looks like she's more of an off screen presence. I do have a half formed idea of having Shirou spend a day out with Takami and Yukari together at some point later on, probably after a few more mini-arcs. I suppose it won't be much of a spoiler to admit that the third stage is going to be starting soon, and so there's going to be a lot of combat scenes coming up. Having a slice of life moment where two related Ashikabi try to deal with their mother whose an administer of the Plan try to have a normal day out could be amusing.

11/11/2011 #9
gabriel blessing

To Grimgor:

Combination attacks are also brought up in the manga, when Tsukiumi and Homura combine their attacks to make a steam dragon. There is a potential scene out there where I might experiment with some combos, but I'm it'll depend on whether I can really make it plot relevant or if it would just be a curiosity for later on.

As for a poison user, I had never thought of that, but it does have potential. If I need to bring in some new Sekirei for later, the idea definitely is going to stick with me.

11/11/2011 #10
Third Fang

Question: I've been guessing on this for a while now, but are there any ashikabi in IF other than Shirou that are magi, or at least have active circuits and can use them? Considering that whats his name of the east and south both have a huge number of sekirei, it would make sense...

oh and as for your response earlier regarding ffd, I guess what we could do is set up a beta connection in docx, only instead of me sending you chapters we could use it as a sort of makeshift pm. does that sound good?

11/11/2011 #11

GB, I'd like your opinion of a fanfic idea of mine that I've been working on for a few weeks…

The basic premise would be that Shirou summons a Female Lancer, which makes it so that all the other Servants could/would be mixed around quite a bit. I'm not sure who the Female Lancer would be, though I have the idea of her being "Olype de Gouges" (aka Marie Gouze), one of the main women during the French Revolution.

Of course, in this idea, I also would have Heracles switched out for Illya summoning Lancelot.

The problem I'm having, though, is deciding what to do about the other 5, or 6, Servants. Saber and Archer being the main ones I'm debating on…

Like the idea at all? Any thoughts or advice?

11/11/2011 . Edited 11/11/2011 #12
Shioran Toushin

higa have the Ashij¿kibis in either blackmail or payroll and mikogami forcibly wings them.

11/11/2011 #13

Question: Will Saber and Rin get a bigger role? So far they are only background characters, but I believe it will be necessary to bring them in. Can you tell us, even vaguely, when will they appear? Soon? Not so soon?

11/11/2011 #14

Hey GB, is there anyway we can get some parts from Akitsu's point of view? She is just such an intriguing character, and I think I speak for all when I say that it would be AMAZINGLY interesting to find out how her thought proccess works.

Also, I calculated how much damage the avarage traced flying sword does.

seen here:

11/11/2011 . Edited 11/12/2011 #15

Also, doesn't GoB fire weapons at supersonic speeds(800+mph)?

Shirou would need to almost match that in order for his swords not to have been pushed backed towards himself in the UBW route.

Unless outside Shirou's RM Gilgamesh was only d*ck1ng around and he only fired supersonic swords when inside UBW.

11/11/2011 . Edited 11/11/2011 #16

Also, doesn't GoB fire weapons at supersonic speeds(800+mph)?

Shirou would need to almost match that in order for his swords not to have been pushed backed towards himself in the UBW route.

Unless outside Shirou's RM Gilgamesh was only d*ck1ng around and he only fired supersonic swords when inside UBW

Dont talk about it here. In fact I am making a new thread with it. For GB and those interested. I asked around and aparently the terminal ballistics of the thing is such that it could easily go through concrete walls and kill the dude in the other side...if the blade in question doesn't have a big cross-guard

.Here we go:

11/11/2011 . Edited 11/12/2011 #17
Soup Fish

What are you planing of doing with Mutsu in this fic?

He is the only one of the original five who is male, and it seems like he has the most open of interpretation character out of all of them. This does not say much for the quality of the manga but I find him to be the most fascinating out of all of the original five. We don't really know why he's going along with Mikogami especially since he seems like a loner. I think I would be correct in saying that he was the first Sekerie that the south winged based only on a hunch. In any case any comment on what you have planed for him? Even casting aside all other reasons he is noteworthy due to being one of the few male sekerie, not to mention a powerful one.

11/11/2011 #18
gabriel blessing

Third Fang: As for the other Ashikabi having active circuits, I'm not planning on elaborating on them. I'm sure statistically speaking one or two of them might be psychics, but since they don't have any real relevance to Shirou or the story, I'm not going to elaborate on them.

As for setting up a PM through beta docs, I've never even done that kind of thing before. I usually keep my PM off mainly because I'm something of a misanthrope, but if you want to set me up as a beta for FFD, I don't think I'd mind. The only time I ever beta'd was back in the 90's and that ended up being a bit of a mess all around. I'm not usually good for grammar or things like that, and I'm equally useless at giving advice for story progression. Trying to tell an author that a certain part should be changed always feels like I'm trying to ghost write, and I know I always ignore other people when they try to convince me to make changes to the plot. Admittedly, I'm usually already have my plot firmly in mind so changing it would be pointless whereas some others actually appreciate having ideas to help shape their stories.

11/12/2011 #19
gabriel blessing

At Lycodrake:

Just replacing Shirou's summon with someone else is a pretty common idea. The important part is to have how the change would affect the rest of the Grail War. F/sn stories are more than just who summons who, its how that affects the fights.

That being said, having a french lancer sounds like a fairly original new summons. If you go through with it, maybe consider having Rin summon Arturia as Saber, and then have fun with Rin and Saber dealing with the fact that Shirou is Saber's sheathe. Maybe have Saber with mistaken preconceptions about Shirou, seeing as Shirou is an Emiya and the last Emiya she had worked with didn't turn out too well for her.

11/12/2011 #20
gabriel blessing

At solopy567:

Actually, Saber and Rin should be getting some screen time relatively soon. Well, sooner then they did at the beginning. They are going to show up, and I'll refrain from saying exactly when, but the truth is In Flight is actually approaching end game pretty soon. I'll say that there are five more conflicts/arcs before the story ends, and that Rin and Saber are one of those arcs, though I won't say which one precisely.

That help clear things up for you?

11/12/2011 #21
gabriel blessing

At Grimgor Ironhide:

Mutsu is an interesting character. I always got the impression from the original manga that he is something of a misogynist. When talking to Homura he mentions disparaging things about the other four Sekirei that he worked with in the Disciplinary club and then wished Homura good luck in dealing with the ones at Izumo house. I always thought that he ended up either constantly annoyed or more than a little wary of women in general after dealing with people like Matsu, Kazehana, Karasuba, and Miya (all scary for their own reasons), which is why he ended up choosing to wing a man. It was my impression that Mutsu regards his winging more as a bodyguard role than as a mated role, seeing his distaste when Mikogami actually offers to give him a Norito combined with his dedication to protecting his Ashikabi as well.

As for Mutsu in In Flight, its planned for him and Mikogami to get some screentime, however it probably won't be much. Shirou's primary conflict is with Higa of the East, after all, so Higa is going to end up getting more press.

That being said, Mikogami and Mutsu won't be completely forgotten. They'll get some mention later on, actually probably in the next two chapters, same as Sanada. I don't want to give out any more specifics, seeing as they could count as spoilers.

That answer some questions?

11/12/2011 #22
gabriel blessing

TO Mithril-blade

Glad to hear Akitsu getting some recognition, and I'm happy I managed to make her an interesting and sympathetic character. I've been planning to release a series of in canon omake on the tff thread, with one for Kuu and Uzume already planned out fully. Just waiting till certain parts in the story before I release them. I could probably end up putting one out for Akitsu at some point as well.

That being said, try reading throwaway's Scrapped Omake. I thought it was fantastic story and a fine representation of what Akitsu's life and thoughts would be like.

11/12/2011 #23

GB, glad to see you are doing fine. I have 2 questions then I'll get out of the way so your plotbunnies don't desice to assault me for interupting.

First, will you collect your In Flight Omakes and post them as a separate story after you finish In Flight? It would be easier than trying to dig though the First Omake thread, which is approaching capacity and will need to have a second thread opened for it.

Second, will there ever be Omakes and oneshots for HoS? I ask due to being curious as to how Shirou would handle the events glossed over between taking out Sheffield and his death, as well as how the others in the F/SN Universe reacted to his vanishings, even though he had driven them away.

Thanks for your time.

11/12/2011 #24

GB are you going to give us any exposition on what Karasuba does to Higa? Not really something urgent, I know, but I'm just curious. It would definitely be fun to read about.

11/12/2011 #25

Thanks for the answer GB. It did clear up a lot for things for me.

11/12/2011 #26
Soup Fish

Hmm, it seems like Mikogami would carry more weight with the plot considering how many Sekrei you gave him, I suppose that Higa has more as well indirectly under his control however?

11/12/2011 #27
Since God is here, I might as well ask for His word. 1- How many people know Shirou is Minato? Minaka called him Shirou, so it seems like Takami kept some details out of MBI's records, but Karasuba calls him Minato. Did she tell Natsuo about Shirou/Minato, or does she only ever call him Minato to his face just to irritate him? 2- Unless I missed it after reading the story for the sixth time, Shirou never tells any of his Sekirei that he loves them. Is that intentional on your part?
11/12/2011 #28
Third Fang

Soo yeah. Just set up the connection to you on my end. Just waiting for you to do so on yours. You have to go to the docx part of your file, go to connections, and establish one with me using my user name. It's really easy.

11/12/2011 #29

I think Takami would be pretty darn curious at how Shirou managed to wing Akitsu, don't you? She gonna show up and ask soon?

11/12/2011 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: gabriel blessing Obiki Doragon, Mu-Sensei
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member