Awards for Fanfiction
A forum for fanfic awards for Emergency!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
waikiki23

Hi all! I thought it would be a great idea for us to work on awards for the best stories of the year. Over on the Hogan's Heroes section, they have a Papa Bear Awards every year. The readers get to nominate their favorite stories, then they go into the voting round. I thought, how could would that be for over here on the Emergency! section. What if we had Paramedic Awards, or Hose Jockey Awards. Something like that. How does that sound to you all?

3/9/2011 #1
Neemps

Sounds good to me. What would be the date boundaries for the awards? Jan 1 to Dec 31? Or something different? Would categories be the same as the ones use by FF for posting stories, or do you want different or additional categories? How would the voting take place? Who would be eligible to vote? Gee, once I start thinking about it, there are a lot of things to set up first. Who will tally-up the votes?

4/3/2011 #2
waikiki23

Yes, the boundaries would be Jan 1 to Dec 31. The categories would be like Drama, Comedy, Crossover, Based on Challanges, Best Overall Story for the year, something like that. We can add some if we need too.

Anyone can vote, those who write stories and those who read them. We would have 2 rounds, the nominating round then the voting round. I would be one to count votes and would need some help to make sure I didn't miscount.

It would be nice if I could have everything together by the end of the year. :)

5/30/2011 #3
waikiki23
The Firefighter Award, The Hose Jockey Award, The Paramedic Award Okay, so the awards have a working title. If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know. Any way, I know it didn't work out for last year, however, I think I can have some of it worked out before the end of the year. Here we go. Below would be the working categories (these would be pinned down before the end of the year) Comedy (Short 5000 words or less) Comedy (Long over 5000 words) (Humor and Parody) Drama (Short 10,000 words or less) Drama (Long over 10,000 words) (Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort, Suspense, Tragedy) Romance (All word lengths) General (All word lengths) (Family, Friendship, General) Supernatural/Slash/Crossovers (Spiritual, Sci-Fi, Supernatural) Best Story Based on a Challenge or Episode Best Teasers and Quotes Best Portrayal of a Canon Character Best Portrayal of a Extra Best Portrayal of an Original Character Best Overall Story of 2011-2012 Seems like a lot? Well, it can be overwhelming at first. However, it really isn't that bad. It looks like we might have to work with two years, 2011 and 2012. Which isn't a bad thing, because it would give all of us a chance to get nominated. Also, the story would have to be completed within the time period. So if started your story on June 5, 2012 and completed it on January 3, 2013, the story would not be eligible. All stories would have to be marked as complete before being included in the list of eligible stories. You would be able to nominate a max of two stories in each catergory, including the Teasers. However, the quotes you would be allowed to nominate a max of three. You cannot nominate your own work; however, in the voting round you can vote for your own story, if you believe it is worthy over another story. I know I would need help, compiling all the eligible stories, counting votes, designing awards. If anyone is interested in helping, please PM me. I will be able to give you the e-mail address and password for where nominations and votes will be sent to. If anyone has suggestions or questions, please feel free to e-mail me or post here on the forum. I hope this works for us all because it is a real honor to have your work recognized.
4/29/2012 #4
ShakespeareCop

Hi there,

Forgive me for butting in, as I'm not a contributor to the site as far as a writer, I'm just a plain old reviewer, but I have some concerns over whether awards in this fandom on this site is really a good idea. I'm not sure if you're aware of it, but there's a lot of dissension on the site among both writers and readers over various issues with different stories, and so I fear that if there is competition for stories/authors to be nominated for awards, it will cause even more hard feelings on the site, rather than bringing writers and readers together. And surely you also know that certain authors on here will literally dominate every single category and their fanbase will do whatever they can to make sure those writers win the awards, so I suspect there would be a highly unfair sweep of all categories by one or two writers and the others that really do deserve awards for their hard work won't get it, simply because they don't have a high number of stories posted or a very large fanbase that can vote several times for their works. And it would be pretty hard to set a single standard for all the writers on here, because what one person may think is fine work, another may think is utter trash, so it's going to be hard to apply an even and fair standard to all submissions that are nominated without smacking of favoritisim towards certain kinds of stories or writers.

Example: since something like 95% of the stories on here are about John Gage, you can bet that every single category will be filled with John Gage nominations, shutting out the other stories that are about the other characters like Captain Stanley or Mike Stoker or Dixie McCall. So what about those authors who worked hard to create a wonderful story about Mike or Chet, are you going to make sure they're fairly nominated and put into the running against the plethora of Johnny fics that will dominate? And what about the one writer who has well over 70 stories posted here in just the last year alone...her works will fit every single category you've listed, so how are you going to keep that kind of domination from occurring in the contest? Because I can guarantee you that if one writer sweeps every single category, you are going to have other writers and fans up in arms and this could possibly cause even more author departures from the site and even more in-fighting among the folks out here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage you from going through with this, as I'm sure this kind of contest has done well in other fandoms and sites, but I question if this is really a good idea for this particular site and realm, given the tension and stormy atmosphere already on here. Maybe it's just wiser to support our favorite writers and stories by continuing to review for them and encouraging them that way, because I suspect what is basically a popularity contest on here will wind up either being a complete failure or a total disaster, with lots of hurt feelings and anger and jealousy on the site. And no kind of recognition like that is golden when it is incurred under such circumstances, so I definitely hope you take what I've said into serious consideration before you decide if such a contest is a good idea on here, as it may be just adding more fuel to an already heated conflagration.

Kent

4/30/2012 #5
Forum Moderators: waikiki23
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member