Welcome to Collinwood
Are you a Dark shadows fan? Do you miss the ghosts and vampires and wherewolves? Then come on in and let's talk about the show that continues to haunt us long after its conclusion. Anything Dark shadows related will be discussed.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
JMackenzie
How did you become interested in Dark Shadows? What made you continue watching it? My mom was actually the one who got me started on the show. We were trying to find something on TV to watch and came upon Dark Shadows. She told me she used to watch it when she was younger, so I thought I'd give it a try. I began watching in the middle in the 1795 era when Barnabas hadn't yet become a vampire. Barnabas instantly fascinated me, and the entire atmosphere of the show with its gothic feel. I had to keep watching to see what would happen to Barnabas. After that, the story continued to keep me interested and the rest is history.
1/29/2006 #1
tsutsuji
I didn't start watching it until 1969. The local theater group did the play "The Innocents," which is based on "The Turn of the Screw," and I loved it. A friend told me about this TV show that was a lot like the play, where two children were talking to a ghost by an old telephone, so I watched it and got hooked. I actually remember a bit of the first episode I ever saw - the one where Ned Stuart comes to Collinwood. When Caroline answers the door, she looks shocked and says "You! Why have you come back!?" I didn't know at the time that he was the same actor who played a guy in an earlier storyline - which happened all the time, as I found out later! I was never much into vampires, still not crazy about them, (Spike being the single exception!), but I always loved ghosts, and of course, David Selby was gorgeous. But I really got hooked on the magic and time-travel aspects of the story, and that's what kept me and my friends coming back for more.
11/18/2006 #2
Angelique Bouchard
My uncle gave us a bunch of Dark Shadows tapes and DVD's. Before then, I'd been terrified of the show. The show is how my little sisters cat got his name. Every time someone said Barnabas Collins, he'd look at the screen.
5/18/2007 #3
Splendora
I can tell you the whole story I was in third grade. It was a cold day, unusually cold for summer down here where we're suffering 110 degrees and begging for it to get down to 100 (I am not kidding!). Anyway, the show came on the scifi channel. I'm a lot younger than all of you, so you may not believe me, but it did happen. It was in 2003 I think and they had old episodes on the scifi channel and my mom was just flipping the channels and my sister saw it and wanted to watch it, so I said, " Why not, there's nothing better to do" and I watched it and afterwards my mom told me about it and I wanted to watch it. If you ask me I'll tell you why I lost three years of my life because of it.
10/3/2007 #4
Scarlett Burns
Odd as it sounds, I actually got hooked by watching another show. While DS was airing on the Sci-Fi Channel, I was a big fan of "Forever Knight", which ran right after DS episodes in the morning. Since my schedule didn't allow me to watch FK while it aired, I recorded it w/ my VCR timer which was set 5 minutes before FK started. So, I always had the last 5 minutes of DS recorded before my daily FK fix. After seeing some crazy cliffhangers I finally HAD to tune in and see what the show was about. LOL. It happened to be the 1795 storyline. Not long after I watched the show, my timer was permanently recording BOTH shows. It didn't take long for me to get hooked on Dark Shadows! ;) ~Scarlett
11/4/2007 #5
TheLovelyMe

I'm not really a momentous fan of the show, I'm more of a casual viewer. I wasn't born yet when the show originally aired, but I've watched re-runs of it and I haven't written any fanfiction for it yet, but who knows? Maybe someday I will!

2/27/2010 #6
Lady Barbossa329

My mom told me about it more then once from when I was 18 until now. I always wanted to watch it, but never knew if the episodes where on DVD or not, so I never went to look for them. Then I got bored on my local library website and typed in Dark Shadows. The results came up and it said there was about 23 things about the show. I clicked on it and noticed that there were episodes on DVD. I got so excited, I ordered the first DVD collection (episodes 210-250) and began watching it. I first loved Barnabas and now I'm hooked to the show. I am currently going to order the first 209 episodes so I can watch them as well.

Also, I am hoping to draw fan art and write fanfics about the show soon.

5/13/2010 #7
JMackenzie

Now that is interesting, that another show actually brought you into Dark Shadows. I think that's really neat!

5/17/2010 #8
JMackenzie

Wow, you are certainly lucky your library had such wonderful gems! I'm glad you are liking the show so far.

5/17/2010 #9
Bookworm06

I'm from England, and I first heard of Dark Shadows when I was 14 yrs old. My grandfather bought me a Dan Ross novel, Barnabas, Quentin, and Dr Jeykll's Son. I was fascinated. I liked how it kept me guessing if Barnabas was really a vampire until around chapter 8. Rememeber I'd never read one of these books before, so when I realised that there were more, (I'd started off with #27 in the series) I made it a mission to see if I could find the rest. I'm not a bookworm for nothing :)

It took me 10 years to collect them all, and I finally got to see the series through cable when I was 21. It was only when I watched the show, and started writing my own fan fic that I realised just how awful those Dan Ross novels are....I can just about read them, but i wont throw them out, as they got me into Dark Shadows to begin with.

12/13/2010 #10
Bookworm06

I'm from England, and I first heard of Dark Shadows when I was 14 yrs old. My grandfather bought me a Dan Ross novel, Barnabas, Quentin, and Dr Jeykll's Son. I was fascinated. I liked how it kept me guessing if Barnabas was really a vampire until around chapter 8. Rememeber I'd never read one of these books before, so when I realised that there were more, (I'd started off with #27 in the series) I made it a mission to see if I could find the rest. I'm not a bookworm for nothing :)

It took me 10 years to collect them all, and I finally got to see the series through cable when I was 21. It was only when I watched the show, and started writing my own fan fic that I realised just how awful those Dan Ross novels are....I can just about read them, but i wont throw them out, as they got me into Dark Shadows to begin with.

12/13/2010 #11
JMackenzie

Welcome to the forum, Bookworm. It is very interesting you got introduced to DS through books. Great story! I hope to see you posting here often.

12/15/2010 #12
phantom-phan-28

I have a book called "Gothic Charm School" and Dark Shadows is mentioned briefly in the Gothic Cliche chapter (the "Goths don't think they're vampires" section) and it got me intrigued. Then I found the series at my library (completely by accident), and have watched it ever since.

6/17/2011 #13
robertp6165

I started watching it when I was a kid in the 1960s. I saw the entire run of the series when it was first broadcast, both the b & w and color episodes, and then watch it again whenever I see it aired in syndication. I used to have the old Dark Shadows game put out by Milton Bradley which had some very cool Barnabas teeth. LOL I think Barnabas Collins is one of the coolest vampires ever. Jonathan Frid just LOOKED like a vampire. The vampires in movies these days are too pretty. Vampires are supposed to be scary.

6/18/2011 #14
Jonouchi Katsuya

I started watching Dark Shadows when I was 9 years old; the original not the revival. My father watched it when he was little and at the time it was playing on the sci-fi channel every morning. My favorite characters were Angelique, Quentin, and Chris. I also really liked Peter Bradferd and Dirk. I think I am liking Professor Stokes and Willie more lately.

I am rewatching it on DVD right now because I introduced it to my boyfriend who, at first, didn't like it, but once they went to the past with Vicky Winters, He really started to adore Barnabus and that got him hooked. He calls Barnabus "charming".

10/18/2011 . Edited 10/18/2011 #15
JMackenzie

Thank you for sharing your story with us, Jonouchi Katsuya. I never tire of rewatching the series.

10/18/2011 #16
Jonouchi Katsuya

Me neither. Right now Nicolas just showed up. :D He is just so slimy.

10/21/2011 #17
BoredNow620

I started watching about 18 years ago. Back in its infancy, the SciFi (SYFY, syfie?) channel was populated with Incredible Hulk reruns, V reruns, Battlestar Galactica reruns, and in the very early morning, Dark Shadows. I started watching because it was just so bizarre, and I've been pretty much hooked ever since. It can be corny as hell and painfully overacted at times, but it was way ahead of its time and modern supernatural shows still either blatantly rip it off (Supernatural), or draw from it heavily. Love the show, and look forward to the 2012 movie (just in time for armageddon)

12/12/2011 #18
WeBe

I'm one of those kids that ran home from school in the late 60s to watch it on tv in the afternoon. In the summer the neighborhood would be teeming with kids playing outside and then at 4pm the streets would clear. Half hour later, doors would bang open and kids would pour out and start playing again. It was a bit spooky how quiet everything got at 4.

5/28/2012 #19
mad margaret

I got kicked out of Girl Scouts for missing meetings because they interfered with my watching Dark Shadows. I don't miss the Girl Scouts. Forty years later, tho, I'm writing Willie Loomis fanfiction. Spooky.

11/27/2012 #20
JMackenzie

Well, Dark Shadows is much more inportant than Girl Scouts. Smile

Welcome to the group and thank you so much for adding your story.

11/27/2012 #21
Feriku

Every now and then, my mom would mention this old soap opera with vampires and werewolves and stuff called Dark Shadows that my grandmother used to watch, and one time she got Quentin's Theme on her iPod and played it for my grandmother. I always thought the show sounded cool, so last Mother's Day, I picked up Dark Shadows Collection 1 for my mom, to see if we liked it. It started right around when Barnabas is freed from his coffin, and we just watched a couple of episodes every night.

Once we finished all of the episodes on Collection 1, we split the cost of the complete collection. Now I'm obsessed! :D

Hated the new movie, though. Dx

12/10/2012 #22
JMackenzie

Thanks for sharing your story with us. I'm glad I'm not the only one who hated to new movie. Blech!

12/11/2012 #23
Feriku

Yeah... I was such a big Johnny Depp fan, too; I was delighted at the idea of him playing Barnabas... T_T But he didn't scare me, didn't charm me, didn't really do anything except make me vaguely dislike him. XD

But I have hundreds and hundreds of episodes of the show yet to watch. _

12/11/2012 #24
JMackenzie

I must admit, I wasn't a fan of the new movie, even before it came out. But having watched it, I'm definitely not a fan of it.

You're so lucky to have lots of episodes ahead of you. Sadly, I have watched all the eps over and over. But I still enjoy watching them!

12/11/2012 #25
Feriku

When I went to see the movie, I'd seen maybe 2 or 3 episodes of the show, so the only major change I noticed was Willie not opening the coffin. The more I watched of the show, the more reason I had to dislike the movie. I should just let it go, but every now and then something new pops into my mind and I start ranting all over again. xDDD

:D The only downside is the constant danger of spoilers. Once seen, a spoiler cannot be forgotten...

12/11/2012 #26
JMackenzie

This is true, which is why it is good to steer clear of any web sites or such that can unintentionally spoil the plot for you. Smile

12/12/2012 #27
Feriku

I'm trying very hard to avoid spoilers from here on out. XDDD

12/12/2012 #28
TailsLovesCosmo

Johnny Depp seemed to not really understand who Barnabas Collins was. Don't look forward to what he's going to do to Tonto and the Lone Ranger.

3/15/2013 #29
Daryl Wor

So, my first introduction to Dark Shadows began in the early 1990's when my friend's mother purchased a VHS copy of an anniversary montage. Of course, my friend and I in our teens were almost completely confused. There was a very lengthy interval in which Barnabas was getting ready to bite someone. (And as Jonathan Frid expressed later, "By the time he finally got to a neck the police would have been called and taken this character away." No kidding, eh?)

In all this weirdness I asked, "Who IS this guy?" And my friend's mother laughed, "The local WIENER!" After that I went back to my own bizarre and tragic life, that included plenty of laughter but likely, more abuse than is healthy for anyone.

Meanwhile there was an ENORMOUS amount of peer pressure to like and to read the Harry Potter series. I did my best, even to getting the U.K. versions and struggling to get through the first two. By the time I got to the third I was hooked. Kept getting the new versions through Amazon.co.uk and enjoying them... FINALLY. Then I got through the fifth volume and was almost disgusted at what I saw.

After I finished it, I wanted to throw the book out the window and I distinctly remember voicing, "Damn it! If I wanted a spooky soap opera, I'd be watching DARK SHADOWS!" A light bulb went on, what with this new Netflix thing and I thought, "Yes! Perhaps I will!" (So yes, J.K. Rowling has a place to thank in all of this.) I contacted my boyfriend/fiance now husband and asked if we could start doing that. He said yes, and so my saga began.

1/29/2014 #30
Forum Moderators: JMackenzie
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member