A Little is a Lot' Challenge
For my drabble prompt challenge in which rookie writers may become better, little by little, in a fairly simple way.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
Another Artist

Requirements:

1. You must be a rookie, newbie, or a simply not that well-known writer of this archive. For clarification, check out the story version.

2. You must be able to take criticism, for this is the only way you will benefit from the challenge and actually become a better writer.

Rules:

1. You may only post one drabble a week. Exceptions are the first prompt and if you clarify with me why you have to post early/late if you are to miss it because of an event. This will force you to reread and revise your drabble. A beta is allowed and recommended. [As of late, a lot of people have been busy. Therefore, if you miss it, it will be fine as long as ALL eight drabbles are out by the last deadline.]

2. You must post the date the drabble is posted in the chapter, just to make sure that each drabble was posted on a certain date.

3. You must use correct grammar and spelling. After all, this is the point of this challenge.

4. You must include the prompt in the story and bold it when it is in the story. The prompt will be a sentence that cannot be used in the last or first line of the drabble.

5. You must organize all the drabbles into one "story". For an example, take "The Riches of the Poor" by myself. This is to keep your stories all in one area and make it easier for everyone. It's also much less messy this way.

6. You must have a minimum of four-hundred (400) words and a maximum of seven-hundred-fifty (750) words each drabble. Do not go under or over the limit.

---------

Miscellaneous/FAQ:

1. Will there be places (for example, first place, second place)?

- Not really. There will only be a first place and one honorable mention. Though the prize is mostly gaining writing knowledge... but I suppose by placing, it means you gained the most, eh?

Also, there will be categories:

"Best Throughout" - This pretty much means that I don't know why you chose to do this challenge rather than to simply challenge yourself to write more, I suppose. It means every drabble was well-written with a good plot and everything. Brava for you :)

"Best Improvement"-This means you weren't great in the beginning, which is why this challenge was made for you. But over time, not only did your grammar/spelling get better, but so did your plots and overall writing. :)

I have also decided to give 'mini awards' to five drabbles that I thought were my favorites.

2. Does the prompt have to be included in the story or can it just be the idea of the story?

- It has to be in the story as one of the sentences; therefore, the idea should have something to do with it, but it doesn't have to be the main idea either.

5/17/2011 . Edited 7/11/2011 #1
Cecelia S. Bradley

Hi! I'm Cecily Bradley. I bet you don't know me, Amy, but that's okay.

Do I qualify? I have one multi-chapter story with one chapter, one drabble, and four oneshots. The greatest number of reviews I have ever received for a story is four, I think. If so, I might be interested.

Thanks,

Cecily

5/18/2011 #2
Another Artist

Hi. I kind of know you, because I recognize your penname as one of the author's who put me on their "Favorite Author" list. Oh, and thank you for that. :)

You do qualify. [Confetti!] Feel free to check out the Prompts topic later tomorrow to find out what the first prompt is.

Thank you :)

5/18/2011 #3
Kaye Nightshade

Hi, Amy!

Can I still qualify in your contest? :/ I have seven multi-chapters (some of them I didn't bother to update -.-") and eight one-shots. The highest review I got was fifty (for a seven chapter story).

Do I still qualify? :/ I am going to delete lots of stories, though. And it will soon become... eight or nine.

Can I still join? ^^

5/18/2011 #4
Cecelia S. Bradley

Hi, Amy! Sorry for my impatience, but when will the first prompt come out?

Cecily

5/19/2011 #5
Another Artist

Cecilia - Sorry! I had tennis practice. It's posted now :)

Kaye - Um... well, you have a lot of multi-chaptered stories. It's four now, I see. Because one of them is just a drabble collection, it doesn't count. I'm not sure though, but... two of them also only have two chapters, so I'm going to let it slide.

So you may join. :)

5/19/2011 #6
Kaye Nightshade

Amy; I CAN JOIN!!! YEY!!! AWESHUM!!! (Sorry, for the outburst xp)

So... let me get this straight. We post the first drabble on or before May 26th, right? (Just to get things straight...)

Oh, and does the drabble have to have a connection with the prompt? :/ (That was a dumb question...)

5/19/2011 . Edited 5/19/2011 #7
President Snow

Hiya, Amy. :)

To be honest, I'm a bit confused... ^^'' Does the prompt have to be included in the story, or just something that the story is based on, or written about? O_o

5/20/2011 #8
Another Artist

Snow - The prompt has to be written into the story, so the plot should have something to do with it.

5/23/2011 #9
Another Artist

Kaye - Yes, this Thursday. The prompt has to be included inside the story.

5/23/2011 #10
Kaye Nightshade

Hmm, I'm done with my drabble, Amy. ^^ So, do I post it today? :/Or... I have to wait for this Thursday? [Yes, I'm being repetitive, sorry! D:]

5/23/2011 #11
limping llama

May I join? I believe you said that I can. I am simply making sure.

I shall write it anyway.

-BR (NSP)

5/24/2011 #12
Another Artist

Kaye - You may post it before Thursday. Thursday is the latest it can be posted.

Ballet Reader - You may join.

5/24/2011 #13
angels fly with starry wings

Because of my multiple accounts, am I still able to join the contest on this account? It's been ever so long since I've done something for the 39 Clues - I'm falling behind. I haven't even read the new books yet! :O

~Ari

5/24/2011 #14
Another Artist
You can join. Remember that the deadline to get in is this Thursday though :)
5/24/2011 #15
Sanity Optional

I've got a drabble ready for the contest, but I still don't know if I'm qualified. I have 13 stories in total; one for Neopets, and twelve for the 39 Clues. I have three multi-chapters (In the Mind of a Fangirl, Pancakes? and Fall Down to Me [Neopets]), Untitled is haikus, so I don't think that qualifies. Sayonara currently only has a prologue, so I'm not sure if it counts. And I have 8 one-shots.

Hope you respond! :)

- Sanity Optional

5/25/2011 #16
Another Artist

Stories for other archives don't count. Well, you have a couple of stories, but they don't have more than ten reviews average so I'm going to allow you to enter. Hope you can post your story by today. :)

5/25/2011 #17
Another Artist

Everyone -- The next prompt will either come out this weekend or Monday at the latest. After that, the prompts will always be posted the same weekday (for example, if I post it Monday, the prompts will always come out on a Monday). Please keep this in mind, seeing as how summer is approaching and people may be traveling and you may want to see if you can write the drabble. If you cannot, please PM me or post something telling me that you cannot and a brief reason as to why not.

5/25/2011 #18
SilverArrow12

Amy, can I join? When is the Thursday deadline by? I live in the Pacific timezone, so would it be different?

5/25/2011 #19
Another Artist

To Everyone -- I've decided to extend the deadline until the Sunday. The next prompt will be on Monday.

SilverArrow12 - Yes, you may still join.

5/26/2011 #20
President Snow

I've posted mine! Thanks for moving the deadline, Amy. :) Oh, and, in my drabble, I've included the line in a sentence, like: 'Sharpies and sticky-notes made up their last memories, and she was...' Is that okay? :S

5/28/2011 . Edited 5/28/2011 #21
Cecelia S. Bradley

Amy, I just found out that we'll be going on a long-ish summer trip, so I will have limited Internet and Word access. Obviously, I won't be able to do your challenge. Darn! Thought you should know.

Cecily

5/29/2011 #22
Another Artist

Snow - Okay, thank you.

Cecelia - That's fine. I understand how busy people are during summer trips (that was my life two summers in a row, and probably this one). Have fun. :)

5/30/2011 #23
Another Artist

The latest prompt has been posted. For contestants, your drabble must be posted the following Monday, no sooner or later.

5/30/2011 #24
foreverlarks

...I'm not really sure if I'm going to be joining (since I already missed the deadline), but it'd be fine if I use the prompts, right??? Just for fun??

I know I asked this question on Formspring already, but I really just wanted to make sure. -.-

Anyways...good luck with the challenge, everyone! :D

~Jamie's Dream.

P.S. Amy-o, if you're reading this, are your beta services still available??? 8D

5/31/2011 #25
Misfitable

Amy- I just remembered. I'm goin to a camp called Camp Nakanawa for the whole month of July. There's no internet service there, so it would be impossible for me to continue the challenge. Can I still do the prompts for the month of June?

And when I get back, can I still use the other prompts even if the contest would be over to you know, improve my writing skills and all that?

6/1/2011 #26
Another Artist

Jamie - You can still keep using the prompt, but I'd suggesting meeting the deadlines so the challenge can better help you. :)

Ah, I think they are :) School's almost out, so probably.

Misfitable - That's fine. I'm glad you're still willing to participate. :) You may continue until you leave (you should finish more than half the prompts by then, I think) and finish when you return. Thank you for informing me ahead of time.

6/1/2011 #27

I don't know if this will be a problem, I just thought I'd let you know, I will be at church camp July 12-17th (my birthday is two days after!! :D), with no internet provider at all, so the drabble might be a little late? I honestly don't know if this will be a problem, just thought I'd drop you a line, so... yeah... How's the weather? o.o

~Ari

6/3/2011 #28
Another Artist

That's fine, but can I ask what days of the week those are? And the weather is great today :)

6/3/2011 #29

Tuesday through Sunday! And awesome, about the weather. It's really hot over here. Like, sweltering. I'm such a computer geek that anything over 70 degrees is way too hot for me! xD

6/3/2011 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: Another Artist
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member