Tips, Tricks, and Do's and Don'ts
Every writer may need help from time to time, whether its trying to conquer writer's block or creating realistic OCs. This Forum will have some tips, tricks, and some of the Do's and Don'ts centered around writing fanfiction.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
grelber37

I have a simple question. How can a person be more prolific on fanfiction.net? I write new chapters somewhat quickly. Then, I edit them for a long time before posting. A long period occurs between chapters becoming available to readers. What general advice does the fanfiction community have for picking up one's publication pace? How do many of you manage to produce chapters so quickly? Thanks for your replies.

5/19/2015 #1
JojiMC

1) Write short chapters. It can't take long to write a chapter if there's not much material in the first place.

2) Curtail your editing time. Most writers don't spend much time editing before posting, and some don't edit at all. And if you don't want to skim over editing...

3) Then write multiple chapters before posting one.

4) Or, get a beta-reader with a keen eye for mistakes and a quick editing time.

5) Free up as much time as possible. People who don't prepare several chapters before posting or keep them short will dedicate hours and hours every day to writing. One example of this method is myself.

Judging by what you've said about your writing process, I would recommend Option #3, but the choice is yours.

5/20/2015 . Edited 5/20/2015 #2
Aminta.defender

I'm probably not the best person with advice, as I don't update as frequently as I should, but here is my advice:

1) Make a schedule. Tell yourself you want to update on a certain date. For example, my goal is to update my story every Sunday and my other one on every Wednesday. Of course life gets into the way and then I don't update.

2) Stick to the schedule. Every time you deviate from your chosen schedule, the more likely you are to do so again. If your chapter is already done, wait for the appropriate date.

3) Get a Beta. Perhaps you are awesome at editing and love it, but a Beta Reader will catch mistakes faster and more effectively than you can.

I know there are some people who update every day, but it isn't possible for some of us. While you may be tempted to write shorter chapters to update more frequently, readers tend to prefer chapters with some meat in it. The long wait is worth it, if the story and chapter length is good enough.

5/20/2015 . Edited 5/20/2015 #3
Aminta.defender

Sorry for the double post

5/20/2015 . Edited 5/20/2015 #4
PimpedOutGreenEars

Based on what you've described I think your first priority should definitely be finding a reliable beta reader. There are many beta readers who are able to edit both quickly and effectively. By letting them do the editing (although, having been a beta several times, I recommend at least doing a quick read over for your beta before sending it to them) you'll save the time you spend editing and you'll be able to devote it to writing new chapters.

Although it's good to keep in mind that some space between chapters is good. For example, a story that updates everyday is great in some aspects, but it doesn't always give your readers time to digest. And if you're looking to get critiques for the chapter you wrote some space in between makes it more likely that people will review. A lot of people will only review the newest chapter you have posted, so leaving some time between updates for readers to comment is a good thing.

Also, never skimp on editing to post chapters quickly. Quality is an important thing and you don't want to sacrifice that for speed. People will wait for something they think is good.

And some other tips:

1. Write something everyday. Even if you aren't feeling inspired write a few sentences. With any luck you'll find that if you have a half hour every day writing a couple hundred words is no big deal.

2. If you keep editing your own stuff maybe try different editing methods to find something faster/more effective. I like reading out loud in an accent.

3. If it's a new project working a couple of chapters ahead is a great idea. If you get stuck on a certain chapter it gives you some wiggle room to keep updates consistent.

5/26/2015 . Edited 5/26/2015 #5
grelber37

Thank you PimpedOutGreenEars, Amita.defender, and JojiMC for your replies. They provide a variety of useful advice. I hope to start a new story soon once the muse visits.

6/1/2015 #6
Forum Moderators: sam temple PimpedOutGreenEars, TealMoose
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member