Tips, Tricks, and Do's and Don'ts
Every writer may need help from time to time, whether its trying to conquer writer's block or creating realistic OCs. This Forum will have some tips, tricks, and some of the Do's and Don'ts centered around writing fanfiction.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
VallorgChristensen

I don't know where to post this, I've posted it here instead.

So, pertaining to my question, do you have written chapters sitting on your hard drive prior to uploading your first chapter? How to hook up readers on your first chapter and beyond?

Tips when it comes to writing, do you post the first chapter with an upbeat or straight down funny storyline? In my case, I don't have a good humour in me, my story comes off with a little bit of serious vibe. I tried once but I think it wasn't funny to the readers lol! I find fics out there in my fandom (frozen), who write funny fics and have gained an amount of follows/faves/reviews by just posting their first chapter. On the other hand, myself, have written the first chapter, and have a few followers/favs/no review. Although I'm not discourage to just stop there because of it. Maybe, because I have badly written fics in the past thats why they based my reputation just that? Idk? Lol! Currently, I'm stucked but ideas will come eventually. Unfortunately, that would be a long wait. My first chapter was written like a breeze, I know I'll just have to wait. How do you hook up your readers for every chapter? I seem to write long fillers than move on. I know this is pretty long, but if you manage to read this till the very end, I thank you!

6/15/2015 . Edited 6/15/2015 #1
Fangirlfromhogwarts
To answer your first question, you do not need to have all chapters written before you post anything. Some people do and this makes it easier to make revisions and keep updates frequent. I personally do not do this, and write each chapter as I go. This works fine, but you should have your whole storyline planned out ahead of time. It doesn't matter how funny the first chapter is. It should just be the same mood as the rest of the story. While humor helps the story it does all need to be funny. Generally if you just be yourself while writing the quality of your stories will be better and don't feel like you need to force yourself to write anything that does not fit your natural style. While it can help get reviews, it is not the only factor. Also the number of views, follows, and reviews you get really depends on the size of the fandom. It may be best if you expand to more than one fandom, if you want more followers. I also looked at your bio and noticed most of your stories are rated M. By default, ff.net only shows K-T unless you specifically search for it. To get reviews you should specifically as for them. I hope my advice helped. I use these tips while I'm writing.
7/14/2015 #2
Kaizen Kitty
How do you hook up your readers for every chapter?

Cliff hangers are a dirty trick to use -- at the end of each chapter, include a question so that your readers will be interested in reading the answer in the next chapter. These questions don't have to be dramatic. A simple upsetting of the status quo will do fine. As long as you can get your readers to ask "what happens next?", you're good.

I seem to write long fillers than move on.

This might be the reason why you have fewer readers. Filler scenes kill excitement and generally bore readers. Try to cut back on them. Don't write anything you wouldn't like to read yourself.

In my case, I don't have a good humour in me, my story comes off with a little bit of serious vibe. I tried once but I think it wasn't funny to the readers lol! I find fics out there in my fandom (frozen), who write funny fics and have gained an amount of follows/faves/reviews by just posting their first chapter.

While humor generally is a good thing, it has its place. Some fics don't need humor -- it depends upon the genre. Stories in genres like Tragedy, Hurt Comfort, Angst, Horror and the like, can actually function pretty good without humor. All I want to say is, that seriousness has its merits, and it's how you put that seriousness to use that counts.

Popularity is another thing altogether. Fandoms are different, and have different trends and patterns. Some fandoms favor serious fics over humorous ones, others don't. Some writers don't get any favs just because they write unpopular topics, even if their prose is undeniably brilliant.

do you have written chapters sitting on your hard drive prior to uploading your first chapter?

I haven't done this in the past (and in consequence have published many unfinished stories with varying degrees of success), but am trying to do so now. It's generally better to have at least a couple of chapters written ahead of the chapter you upload, because first excitement wears off fast.

8/27/2015 #3
Forum Moderators: sam temple PimpedOutGreenEars, TealMoose
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member