Tips, Tricks, and Do's and Don'ts
Every writer may need help from time to time, whether its trying to conquer writer's block or creating realistic OCs. This Forum will have some tips, tricks, and some of the Do's and Don'ts centered around writing fanfiction.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
sam temple

Use the word 'said' too much, here's a list of other words to get you started:

In Alphabetical Order

Accepted, Accused, Acknowledged, Admitted, Advertised, Affirm, Agonized, Agreed, Alleged, Announced, Answered, Appealed, Apply for, Arranged, Articulated, Asked, Asserted, Asseverate, Assumed, Assured, Attract, Aver, Avow

Barked, Bawl, Bawled, Beamed, Beckoned, Begged, Bellowed, Beseeched, Blubbered, Blurted, Bossed, Breathed, Broadcast

Cajole, Called, Carped, Cautioned, Censured, Chimed in, Choked, Chortled, Chuckled, Circulate, Claim, Comforted, Conceded, Concurred, Condemned, Confer, Confessed, Confided, Confirm, Consoled, Contend, Continued, Crave, Cried out, Criticized, Crooned, Crowed

Declared, Defend, Demanded, Denote, Dictated, Disclosed, Disposed, Disseminate, Distribute, Divulged, Drawled

Emitted, Empathized, Encourage, Encouraged, Entreated, Exact, Exclaimed, Explained, Exposed

Faltered, Finished, Fumed

Gawped, Get out, Giggled, Given, Glowered, Grieved, Grinned, Groan, Groaned, Growled, Grumbled

Handed on, Held, Hesitated, Hinted, Hissed, Hollered, Howled

Impart, Implied, Implored, Importune, Inclined, Indicate, Informed, Inquired, Insisted, Interjected, Invited

Jabbered, Joked, Justified

Keened

Lamented, Laughed, Leered, Lilted

Maintained, Make known, Make public, Marked, Mewled, Mimicked, Moaned, Mocked, Mourned, Murmured, Mused

Necessitated, Needed, Noted

Observed, Offered, Ordered

Passed on, Pleaded, Postulated, Preached, Premised, Presented, Presupposed, Proclaimed, Prodded, Professed, Proffered, Promised, Promulgated, Proposed, Protested, Provoked, Publicized, Published, Puled, Put forth, Put out

Quaked, Queried, Quipped, Quivered, Quizzed

Raged, Ranted, Reckoned that, Rejoiced, Rejoined, Released, Remarked, Remonstrated, Repeated, Replied, Reprimanded, Requested, Required, Requisition, Retorted, Revealed, Roared

Said, Sang, Scoffed, Scolded, Seethed, Sent on, Settled, Shared, Shed tears, Shouted, Shrieked, Shrugged, Shuddered, Snarled, Snivelled, Sobbed, Solicited, Sought, Specified, Spluttered, Spread, Stammered, Stated, Stressed, Suggested, Supposed, Swore

Taunted, Teased, Testified, Thundered, Ticked off, Told, Told off, Tore a strip off, Touted, Transferred, Transmitted, Trembled, Trumpeted

Understood, Undertook, Upbraided, Uttered

Verified, Vociferated, Voiced, Vouched for, Vouchsafe

Wailed, Wanted, Weep, Went on. Wept, Wheedle, Whimpered, Whined, Whispered

Yawped, Yelled, Yelped,Yowled

5/26/2011 #1
PimpedOutGreenEars

Oh my. I never realised there were this many alternitives for the word said. I may never use said again lol.

5/27/2011 #2
Scarlet 8D
You forgot a few :]

Apologized, Argued, appointed, applauded, aquatinted

Bickered

concluded, countered

Decided, defied, disagreed,

I have to add more later, I have to go

5/27/2011 #3
keshafever

"Wow. That is a lot of substitutes!" BTR and SG Rocks declared.

xD haha! Get the joke? HAHA! Thank you though. It has helped greatly.

1/15/2012 #4
AaylaKitofNiflheim

This is definitely an informative list. However, if I may be so bold, sometimes these words can be over-used. 'Said' is a perfectly honorable, neutral word and will work fine in many situations. Don't over-clutter your writing with these words. Use them, yes. But when you just need to get it across that a character is saying something, and don't want to carefully pick out which word to use, 'said' will work just fine.

1/12/2013 #5
PimpedOutGreenEars

@AaylaKit: I agree with you. There's a place for alternative words, but there's a reason said is used so often.

Also, you reminded me of a point. It's good to mix up your langauge. However, there's more to writing than speech tags. If your langauge is very plain and you try to throw out more complex speech tags to buff it up it just looks strange. What I mean is your writing should flow. It shouldn't look like you wrote it and then went through it with a thesaurus to sound smarter. Variation is good, just make sure it fits.

1/16/2013 #6
Laurenthefabulous
Remember that although these are wonderful and useful words, they only work correctly if used effectively. For example you do not pair "i love you!" with "she questioned."
2/11/2013 #7
blacknight7890

First word in S is Said...LOL

4/18/2013 #8
Anna10327

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! I'VE ALWAYS HAD TROUBLE WITH THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11/4/2013 #9
Forty-Doors-To-Nowhere

Thank you so much! This has helped me because sometimes I struggle to use other words than said. You have helped me alot!

4/1/2014 #10
KuraiHaru17

Wow. this is a huge number of words. And I thought my vocabulary was good.

Thanks a lot these words are really gonna be good help

4/4/2014 #11
Peach-The-Pikachu

You forgot Piped but thank you for writing all these

6/27/2014 #12
Convenient Alias

While it's great to have a list of alternatives for said, be careful not to overuse them, especially the weirder ones (vociferated, asseverated, etc). Sometimes just said can be the most effective-it's simple and doesn't distract the reader from the story.

8/25/2014 #13
inspibrain101

Hey, hey! Don't forget the adverbs!

I like using words like

"softly, quietly, sweetly, angrily, sharply, mysteriously, humbly, quickly, slowly" with the word "said" to convey tone in the dialogue.

8/28/2014 #14
Praelio

You also forgot "Vowed", unless I didn't catch it in there.

Ex.) "I will protect you- no matter the cost." He vowed.

9/4/2014 #15
Cthulhoid the Memer

Said is so cool you guys, you don't even know. Readers don't actually read the word said anymore, since they're so accustomed to it, they just sort of skim over and keep right on reading. This is pretty much true for "asked" as well. Anyway, when you use something other than said, the reader is caught off guard and actually stops to analyze the word you put in its place. This means it is good to make a point, but overuse of these alternatives will ruin the flow to your dialogue. These alternatives to said are known as said bookisms and are bad for the same reason that adverbs can be bad, they tell where your dialogue could show, they can even get a bit purple prosey. In fact, if you find that you're having to put "x-said" or "y-said" at the end of every line, its less that you're overusing said and more that the rest of the writing is too weak to convey the scene without constantly relying on the crutch of dialogue tags. Dialogue should not need a dialogue tag at the end of each line. At the same time, dialogue tags are a useful tool, balance balance balance.

2/17/2015 #16
Forum Moderators: sam temple PimpedOutGreenEars, TealMoose
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member