39 Clues Monthly Prompt
Monthly challenges for writers eager to expand in their writing capabilities. And yes, this is a contest.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
Syberian Quest

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death!

Yes, a completely overly-dramatic title, but think about it. For some of us, it's summer and freedom, and for others, it's that time of year when the ball in chains comes back to haunt us. So, for this first prompt I've decided to go rather easy on everyone and choose a broader topic.

Freedom

Yes, this is June's prompt. You may write a story about any kind of freedom, whether it's freedom from self, a relationship, or your addiction to chocolate. Will they break free? That's up to you. But you have to at least imply somewhere in the story that they are a prisoner to something, whatever it is. And yes, the due date for your stories will beJune 29. You can post earlier, but no later please.

For all those who wish to join, just post underneath saying that you are planning to participate and will review the winner, whoever that may be. Then, once your story is completed, post again with the link to your story.

And again, all are welcome. :)

5/22/2011 . Edited 7/10/2011 #1
Another Artist

I think I'm going to participate in this prompt. I really, really hope I can. I've started the oneshot, but who knows if I'll finish it... I tend to leave works unfinished. We'll see :)

6/1/2011 #2
The Cahill-Demigod Witch

Addiction to chocolate? It's my stress-relieving food. :)

Hmm... Freedom, huh? I suppose I can think of something. June 29's a Wednesday, 16 days after school starts, so I have enough time. :D

I'll think about it again and see if something pops into my head. ;)

~Sam

6/1/2011 #3
Kaye Nightshade

Hmm... I'm not so sure about this. :/ It's June 2 today and there's only four more days till school starts. -_-"

But I'll try! ^^ Freedom. Nice. :)

6/2/2011 #4
Jamie's Dream

I'm thinking of joining.

I'm not really sure if I will, but I'll try my hardest.

So...yeah.

Just thought I'd say that. :D

6/2/2011 #5
The Cahill-Demigod Witch

I'm sorry to ask, but what do you mean by "freedom from self"? Nyah... I don't really understand.

6/2/2011 #6
Another Artist

Sy, do you mind if I post the drabble in "The Riches of the Poor" instead of making it a separate story? EDIT: And, how many words does a drabble have to be again?

6/2/2011 . Edited 6/2/2011 #7
Syberian Quest

Glad all the people are joining! :) You have a full month, so I'm sure you'll be able to come up with something. And Sam, I saw you posted a story for this. Mind putting the link here?

Amy: Ah, I feel your predicament. You don't want random drabbles making your profile all messy, but I sort of put up a rule for someone else who asked about it already. I told them they could write drabbles, but they would have to create a separate drabble for it and create at least three by the end of the month on that topic. I'm really sorry about that, but I think it would make it pretty difficult to vote on later because you already have so much that doesn't relate to the prompt... If it's a problem, I'm sure we can find a solution. I might make a few changes to the rules if others are okay with it, but I'm probably going to have to stick to my previous word for right now.

6/2/2011 #8
Another Artist

Ah, really? I tried looking, but I couldn't find it. -.-" Yeah, I don't want a lot of stories xD I see, three drabbles... Well, then do you mind if all three drabbles are put together into one story? Because that might help. Or maybe I'll just do an oneshot like I planned... it's just that I had a drabble that worked for the topic, but I think I'd much rather do an oneshot now xD Thanks though! :)

6/2/2011 #9
Syberian Quest

Well, I meant three drabbles in one story. Like a new drabble. But if you're okay with the one-shot, then that makes it easier. :)

6/2/2011 #10
Another Artist

I knew what you meant. :) I just don't know if I want to write three drabbles on the same thing. I finished my oneshot, but it's short of a thousand words, which disappoints me, but I don't want to drag it out. Was there a word restriction for oneshots?

6/2/2011 #11
Syberian Quest

Okay, that's good. I was afraid I was being a bit too cryptic there. ;)

No word restriction on one-shots. I mean, if it's only about a hundred or so, that's a bit short, but if it's under a thousand, that's absolutely fine. :)

6/2/2011 #12
Another Artist

Okey-dokey. Thank you :) I shall post it now! :D

6/2/2011 #13
The Cahill-Demigod Witch

Syberia, I'm so so sorry, but I'll have to take my entry down and write again. *sad sigh* So I won't be posting the link yet; and besides, I wasn't thinking right because I was also thinking about what flavor of ice cream to get for the ice cream challenge between me and my mom. And I was thinking about a plan for a badminton game with my friend (who just got back from the province yesterday).... Ah, enough about my thoughts.

Nyaah... and my computer time was cut down for "special reasons."

Probably it'll be a one-shot this time. Kaye reminded me of the rules (I tend to be forgetful, and when I forget, I forget the importantthings. (One of my weaknesses.)

Hope you understand.

~Sam

6/3/2011 #14
PromptDreamer-PSAscience

Hello, Syberia! Yeah, I think I'll participate in this challenge, and if I actually do, I'll promise to review the winner's story. :)

~PSAscience/IsabelKabra.Lucian (and did I mention Vesper?)

6/3/2011 #15
The Cahill-Demigod Witch

Wait... Syberia, what do you mean by "freedom from self"?

6/3/2011 #16
Syberian Quest

PSA: Great. :)

And when I say "freedom from self," it could just be overcoming some buried obstacle (such as a fault, past mistake, psychological battle). Hope that helps. :)

6/3/2011 #17
limping llama

Hey Syberia! Wait... I'm gonna think of a different name for you later. Syberia seems too formal to me.

I think I'll post a one-shot, maybe. I'm not going to win, obviously, (Ahhh! Amy!) but I'll try.

Freedom... hmmm... That chocolate obsession gave me an idea...

-BR (NSP)

6/3/2011 #18
The Cahill-Demigod Witch

Alright, thanks, Sy! That sure did help!

*Wait, by the way, did you know that "Sy" is a Chinese surname? O_O

6/3/2011 #19
Syberian Quest

Nope, but now I do. :)

For some reason, it always reminds me of E.T. Absolutely no idea why, though. It just sounds like an alien name to me. :/

6/4/2011 #20
The Cahill-Demigod Witch

Really, I just noticed. Well, you say it as "Si"... I'm just not sure about the Chinese word that they use. I think it's a common surname, but the most common here in Manila is Chua/Co/Tan.

Okay, I re-posted my entry, and here's the link. (Just remove the spaces...)

h t t p : / / w w w . f a n f i c t i o n . n e t / s / 7 0 4 6 8 3 5 / 1 / F i n a l l y _ F r e e

I'm not yet done with the second drabble... I might post it today or tomorrow afternoon, because I need to start sleeping early. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I'll be in sixth grade now!!!! O_O

6/5/2011 #21
The Cahill-Demigod Witch

Wait, I'm doing drabbles. So that means I need to post at least three drabbles, right? My first drabble has 501 words. What if I post another drabble with the same number of words? It'll be a thousand words already.

Is there a word limit for drabbles?

Ah, sorry for the many questions, but I just want to clarify. :)

6/5/2011 #22
SilverArrow12

Hey Syberia. I think I might do this one.

6/22/2011 #23
blu1112

My entry.

6/22/2011 #24
Syberian Quest

Thank you all for your entries and the links. :) It makes it much easier for me.

Sam - It can be however long you like.

6/22/2011 #25
The Cahill-Demigod Witch

Oh, okay. Thanks, Syberia! :))

6/25/2011 #26
Cascading Rainbows

Playing with Fire

My sucky entry. -.-

6/26/2011 #27
Syberian Quest

Voting is now up. :)

7/1/2011 #28
Another Artist

JOYCE! I still need to review yours -.-" I haven't been on, sorry.

Sy, I was wondering, when does voting end then?

7/5/2011 #29
Syberian Quest

Lez see...

I'm going to go with this Sunday. If I don't have enough by then, I'll extend it. :)

7/5/2011 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: Syberian Quest
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member