The Brotherhood of the Pen Headquarters
All Brotherhood members and interested writers are welcome. If you wish to join, please leave a application. If you wish to get some help for your writing, feel free ask for a member to help you in the non member chat or go to the relevant topics. Have fun!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »
P3MF Alpha 3-Richter

@Olly Was the advice helpful?

10/23/2011 #31
Tips for romance stories, anybody?
11/2/2011 #32

Huh, I'm not that great with it, but excuses are no good... :P

Go slow. 'Love at first sight' is not a very realistic term. If someone saw their high school crush walking down the street they wouldn't grab their arm and start flirting (overly). Also, keep it real and original. Someone who's been loyally married for a long time isn't going to dump their wife/husband for a pretty young girl/guy they saw that caught their eye. And lastly, describe emotions. Emotions are very important for romance; anyone knows that :) Describe what each person in the relationship feels, over big things like marriage and kissing, and little things like touching and looking at each other.

Hope this helped :)

11/2/2011 #33
P3MF Alpha 3-Richter

What are some tips for getting back into a story you've not written for in a while?

12/29/2011 #34

Try writing something, another thing first, like a oneshot, in the theme of the fic. That'll get you into the mood again, and then try reading over previous chapters. Those are two main ideas.

12/29/2011 . Edited 12/29/2011 #35

Hey. I know it's been a while.

I got a question: What exactly is a songfic?

Is it making up the lyrics of your own original song? Is it like having some characters sing an existing song? Is it a regular story with the existing song being used in the background to set the mood? I mean what? Come on. Someone help me out please?

1/14/2012 #36
Commentaholic - Alpha 02

Songfics are actually not permitted by the rules of the site...

Though that hasn't stopped countless people from creating many songfics, myself included.

A Songfic is a story based around the lyrics of a song. Example from my own experience: A robot-themed fic based off of Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto.

1/14/2012 #37

Sometimes lines from the song itself are included in the fic; this is what usually defines a songfic.

1/14/2012 #38
Commentaholic - Alpha 02

Indeed. And that is often what makes the songfic illegal as defined by the site's terms of usage.

1/14/2012 #39

Okay, I think I get it. A songfic is a story where the events described in the lyrics happen in the story, is that right?

So for another example, suppose someone did a songfic based on "If We Hold On Together" by Diana Ross, the story would be about maybe some friends going on a quest to fulfill their dreams, and some stuff about them trying to work together, sticking together even in the darkest, toughest hours, not giving up and loosing their way, and some stuff like that?

Or how about a songfic for "Viva La Vida" by Coldplay, where it's about a King who use to be Top of the World, his Kingdom in great shape, everyone loving him, and then suddenly, he lost everything, something bad happened, maybe some kind of apocalypse, plague or war that wiped out his entire kingdom, leaving only him. Or maybe all that's already happened and now he's reflecting on it.

Am I still not getting it? If my examples still don't fit, can I have another example?

1/14/2012 #40
Commentaholic - Alpha 02

Haven't heard those songs before. I can't comment on your choices.

1/14/2012 #41

Yeah, it's kinda like that, but it doesn't have to be exactly like the lyrics. The story might just be linked with the song through theme, or general mood. For example, a fic about fortitude and determination might be 'It's My Life' by Bon Jovi.

1/14/2012 #42

I know that song (I love Bon Jovi :)) but could you be more specific about a fic based on it than just 'about fortitude and determination?

1/14/2012 #43

Nice :) For example, it could be a story about Ash fighting a very important Championship battle, and as filler in-between scenes lines from the song could be written.

1/14/2012 #44

Okay. So, if the characters actually sing the songs, as in like a musical, is it still considered a songfic?

1/14/2012 #45

1/14/2012 #46

How about this: A bunch of, say, Naruto characters are gathered around a campfire in the middle of the wilderness, resting from a big mission they're on, talking about their dreams and hopes for the future, getting to know each other better, and then they decide to have a little fun and sing "If We Hold on Together" by Diana Ross (I know it may sound a little weird or crack-ish, but I was just thinking of this while reading a story). Would that be considered a songfic?

1/14/2012 #47

It would. And that sounds like a nice little fic~

1/14/2012 #48
Commentaholic - Alpha 02

Well... this is the 'hates anachronistic things' part of me coming out....

The music in the Narutoverse is NOTHING like that, so it wouldn't be fitting at all, despite the message of the song.

1/14/2012 #49

Okay. I think I understand now. Thanks Olih :-). Thanks to you too, Comment! :)

1/14/2012 #50

I don't actually know Naruto :P I've heard of it, but that's about it, other than reading the first manga a while ago. And you're welcome, Villain ^_^

1/14/2012 #51

@Comment - Well, I can see how it may seem kind of unfitting towards the franchise, it's just a thought that came to me.

1/14/2012 #52

So I've been curious about this for a while. Does reading a fic written in present tense put anyone off?

I personally don't mind much and I actually kinda like present tense feels a bit more exciting (because it's PRESENT) to me and I've read a few wonderful fic written in present tense. Also all my formal essays tend to be in present tense so I've gotten into the habit of using it. But past tense is what a majority of fiction is written in so most people are supposedly more comfortable with that.

A lot of my works (in the initial drafts) have been lapsing into present tense on a lot of occasions. But I feel bad for using it because I know some friends who are like "lol present tense...ick" and it's not too much of a big deal to turn wording back to past tense.

So when is it worth it to use present tense? Would you be put off by stuff written in present tense?

3/21/2012 #53
Commentaholic - Alpha 02

I wouldn't be put off by writing in present tense as long as it is in the proper conveyance method. Usually diaries or recollections in the first person. Third person is acceptable as long as it is written by an observer. Writing in present tense is unusual, but not unheard of. I've got a book on writing and I'll type in an entry on the subject once I get home.

3/21/2012 #54

Present tense is fine. It may take a bit for some people to get used to it, since most fics (that I have seen, at least) are in past, but it's okay.

3/21/2012 #55

...I suggest you post them on Deviant Art too... No one finds it strange there since they have pretty much seen it all there.

3/21/2012 #56

Huh, I never post anything on DA. It just doesn't seem to be a great place for archiving stories.

Also I have RL friends who know me there and I feel uncomfortable with my RL friends seeing any of my writing

3/21/2012 #57

Well it isn't all that good unless you have a subscription. Get one and it becomes very good.

RL Friends are the best viewers you can get. Because you know they are going to be honest with you.

3/21/2012 #58

Well, none of them really share my fandoms I write for anyways. It's just embarrassing because quite a few of my longer plots involve angst and dark things...and others have some boyxboy which can be slightly awkward for some of my friends too. I'd rather just not have to deal with discussing that, I have an irrational fear over awkward talks like that @^@;;

How does a subscription make it better?

3/21/2012 #59

It doesn't make it that much better. All you get to do that really matters, in my opinion, is make pretty journals and ask for critiques :S

My 'real life' friends don't actually care what I post :P They just don't read it.

3/21/2012 #60
« Prev Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Storylover Vodhr- Dux Ducis Arty Thrip - Alpha 04, Commentaholic - Alpha 02, P3MF Alpha 3-Richter, holospartoi258 - Alpha 01
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member