Caesar's Palace
Multi-fandom prompts, games, and chat — but not so much blackjack. Archived.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
degaussers

Basically, fandom primers are summaries of the basics of a fandom, like the characters of the book/actors of the film/members of the band, the popular ships and why they're popular, the important quotes, the inside jokes, the best/most rec'd episodes or books or songs, your own recs, pictures if you want to link them in. It's like a little introduction to the fandom.

And seeing as everyone here has their own fandoms that they like to talk about, often the rest of us don't understand what they're saying. So this primer thread is really for reference (and they're really fun to write omg)

Please lay out your primers fairly neatly to make them easy to understand, and title them with (Your Name)'s Primer for (Fandom Name)

Masterlist:

TV Shows/Video Web Series

Anime/Manga

Books

Movies

Comics/Webcomics

Radio

Music

• Holy Trinity of Indie/Alternative Music (page 1, post 15)
  • The Decemberists (page 1, post 23)

Musical Plays

Video Games

9/1/2013 . Edited by octocelot, 7/13/2019 #1
degaussers

Paige's Primer for Firefly

Firefly was a TV show on FOX written by Joss Whedon. It got cancelled without ever having a full season, which is pretty much crime. There was a final movie named Serenity that the fandom pretend never happened, because it broke everyone's hearts.

Firefly is set in the future, when humanity have left Earth (referred to as 'Earth that Was') to colonise space. After planets were terraformed (made able to support life) there was a war between the Alliance, who wanted to unify all the planets under a central government system, and the Independence, who wanted freedom. The Independence lost and the Alliance have total power.

The central character is Captain Malcolm Reynolds, or Mal, who was a Sergeant on the side of the Independence during the war. After they lose, he buys his own ship. She's a model of ship called a Firefly, which is where the show name comes from, and he names her Serenity. The ship represents freedom in a really beautiful way through the show.

The other crew of Serenity are Zoe, who fought alongside Mal during the war and is his second-in-command on the ship, and she's this tough, beautiful total badass and she doesn't let the war destroy her like Mal does, she's really amazing. She's married to Wash, who's the pilot and a complete dork, he's really loveable and always makes dumb jokes and loves Zoe so much, it's gorgeous. Kaylee is the mechanic and she's this bright, smart darling who is always so happy and brilliant about everyone, and is my favourite fictional character ever? And Jayne, who's tough and an idiot and makes horrible mistakes and doesn't care too much about other people, but he has these moments where he's a hero and he's one of the best written characters on the whole show, oh my God.

There's passengers that they take on, who are pretty much crew, who are Inara (you should watch this show because it has space prostitutes!) who is wonderful and says so many beautiful, philosophical things, and doesn't let Mal walk all over her and oh my god, well written female characters. There's a preacher called Shepherd Book and I love him, oh my God. Two of the passengers, Simon and River Tam, are on the run from the Alliance, and that is sort of a lot of the story? Everyone is really wonderful.

So they're on this ship, and they take whatever they can to get money, legal or illegal (We're not thieves! But we are thieves.) and that's often smuggling, and they're always on the run from the Alliance and these cannibals called Reavers from planets where the terraforming went wrong, and lots of others like bounty hunters out for River, and they don't know entirely why and - it's so fab. Oh my God.

As far as shipping, the canon ships are Wash/Zoe, who are married and gorgeous, and Kaylee/Simon, and she has a crush on him so hard. It's adorable and he ruins it so many times. Mal/Inara is canon in the most frustrating way, oh my God. Mal/Inara is going to ruin me.

Plus it has some of the best lines in any show ever, the quotes are so perfect. I think I cry every day because; When you can't run, you crawl. And when you can't crawl, when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you. There's this quote, too; I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

There's an hour-and-a-half long first episode, then thirteen forty-minute episodes, then the movie. The movie broke my heart. You should watch them?

9/1/2013 . Edited 9/2/2013 #2
truces

Ella's Primer for Gone.

(Or, c'mon, y'all thought I wasn't going to do this?)

The Gone Series is a six-book series written by Michael Grant. The main characters are Sam Temple, son of single mother Connie Temple, Astrid 'Astrid the Genius' Ellison, a fourteen-year-old Catholic girl who is known for her intellect. Also, there's Edilio Escobar, a Honduran immigrant, Quinn Gaither, Sam's surfer friend, and Lana Lazar, 'the Healer'. The 'villains' (although the beautiful thing about the series is that the two main villains get so developed) are Caine Soren, a boy who wants nothing but power, Diana Ladris, an incredibly intelligent, sarcastic badass, and Drake Merwin, a psychopath. It's set in a fictional town in Southern California, Perdido Beach, which is located by a nuclear power plant.

One day, everyone over the age of fourteen disappears. Poof. Gone. The kids are left to fend for themselves, and some start developing strange powers. With no police, no fire department, and no parents, things start breaking down. Kids start to hurt each other. Food runs out. And with these strange supernatural powers, fights suddenly become far more deadly. Baically, it's a story of the kids having to survive on their own. (THE COVER LOOKS LIKE A ROMANCE NOVEL. DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THE COVER.)

Fandomy Things.

First, is Michael Grant. He's a sassy little mofo, which you certainly wouldn't expect from his appearance considering that he's a bald old man who lives in Southern California.

Some of his quotes form his Twitter include:

"I am pleased and proud to announce that BZRK: Apocalypse will have the highest death toll of any book I've written (aside from ANIMORPHS.)"

(Oh yeah, he's married to the lady who wrote Animorphs. BZRK is another series of his, which is not as good as Gone.)

"'m deciding whether or not to obliterate all of humanity. It's not called BZRK for nothing. But seriously: I may need counseling."

"Finishing BZRK: Apocalypse. So. Very. Dark. Even I'm thinking, "What the hell is the matter with you, Michael?""

"Hey how come @VeronicaRoth gets her own planes?"

So, yeah. He's pretty funny.

Second, 'You are now free to leave the FAYZ.'

The FAYZ is what the kids call the area enclosed in the impenetrable that surrounds the area. (It stands for Fallout Alley Youth Zone, was coined by someone saying 'It's just a phase.' And yes, Gone came out before Under the Dome.)

This was written in the author's not at the end of Light, the final book, and sort of brought the fandom to its knees. If you say this to me, I'll explode. :)

Third, the ships. Oh, the beautiful ships.

• Sastrid - SamxAstrid, starts typical but gets so deep and developed.
  • Caina - CainexDiana, ridiculously painful and I cry a lot.
  • Bridekka - an unrequited!ship. Dekka is in love with Brianna, who doesn't share the same feelings. It's unclear whether Brianna is straight or bi, Dekka is a lesbian.
  • Computer Breeze - BriannaxJack, whose nickname is Computer Jack due to his technological skills. He has a huge crush on Brianna, and they become something of an item, but Brianna admits that she was mainly with him because she was 'bored'.
  • Peptella - the ultimate canon!crack!ship. PepsixNutella. After Sam and Dekka find a cache of Pepsi and Nutella in the desert, they're overjoyed, as they've been eating a diet of bland fish, artichokes, and any rodents that could be caught. IT'S BEAUTIFUL AND IT IS MY OTP. :DDD

I might add more at some point, idk. I think I covered the basics, but I didn't get into the characters and they're really the highlight of the book. No one is exactly good or exactly evil and there are so many powerful moments and ugh GO READ IT PLEASE

9/1/2013 #3
Oxenstierna D. Yuki-Rin

Yuki-Rin's Primer for Her Favorite Anime, One Piece, Part One:

One Piece is a Japanese anime/manga by Eichiiro Oda. It has been around since the late 1990's, and it is Japan's most popular anime and manga. The story is set in a fictional world of endless seas and millions of islands and continents, with scores of pirate crews sailing the oceans. To sum up the prologue:

"Wealth, fame, power. Gold Roger, the King of the Pirates, obtained this and everything else the world had to offer, and his dying words drove countless souls to the sea. "You want my treasure? You can have it! I left everything I gathered together in one place. Now you just have to find it!" These words lured men to the Grand Line, in pursuit of dreams greater than they'd ever dare to imagine. This is the time known as the Great Pirate Era."

Twenty years later, Monkey D. Luffy, a seventeen-year old boy, is about to make his own pirate crew, the Straw Hat Pirates, and sail to the Grand Line. Luffy ate the Gomu Gomu no mi (or, Gum Gum Fruit in the English dub), a Devil Fruit that gives him the power to stretch like rubber. Along the way, he meets the following people who become his crew members:

Roronoa Zoro - A bounty hunter who aspires to be the World's Greatest Swordsman. Due to his green hair, he is often called a "Marimo" ("Moss Head" in the dub). He is the swordsman of the crew, and he has a very horrible sense of direction.

Nami - A thief and navigator who wants to make a map of the entire world. She loves money to a point where she even gives her own crew members debts if they did stupid things.

Usopp - A sniper who wants to get stronger. Usopp has a long nose, and he likes to tell lies a lot. His dad, Yasopp, is a sniper, which is why Usopp wants to become a great sharpshooter.

Sanji - The chef of the crew who dreams of finding the All Blue, a sea where all of the fish of the world are located. Sanji is best known for two things - His swirly eyebrows and his love for women. He mainly fights with his legs, because he is a chef and can't use his arms.

Tony Tony Chopper - The doctor of the crew, who is also a reindeer (You know, that cute reindeer with the pink hat you've probably seen on the internet). He ate the Hito Hito no mi (or, Human Human Fruit), allowing him to talk and function like a human. He wants to find a cure for all of the world's diseases.

Nico Robin - The navigator of the crew. Originally, she was a villain who worked with Baroque Works, but she changed sides after Luffy took down her boss, Crocodile. Robin ate the Hana Hana no mi (Flower Flower Fruit), which allows her to sprout limbs from any surface. On the run since she was eight years old, Robin hopes to find the Rio Poneglyphs, tomes of history which are illegal in the One Piece world.

Franky - The shipright of the crew. Due to an accident when he was younger, Franky is a cyborg with huge arms and a penchant for only wearing Hawaiian shirts with Speedos. He likes cola and "super" things. Hailing from Water Seven, a haven for shipbuilders, Franky hopes to find the Adam Wood, the strongest wood in the world.

Brook - The musician of the crew. The interesting thing about Brook is that he died fifty years before the story began. He came back to life as a skeleton with an afro, as his soul ate the Yomi Yomi no mi (Life Life Fruit), a fruit that allows a deceased person a second life. As he had an old crew before he join the Straw Hats, Brook hopes to find the last surviving member of his crew.

This concludes part one of my primer. Part two will cover fandom stuff.

9/1/2013 #4
oh. i'm on fire

Yew's Primer for Doctor Who;

"fuck you, i have a tardis."

or, alternately, as of the eleventh doctor, "rawr me scary time lord!"

9/1/2013 . Edited 11/29/2013 #5
Oxenstierna D. Yuki-Rin

Yuki-Rin's Primer for Her Favorite Anime, One Piece, Part Two:

Welcome back to my primer for my favorite anime, One Piece. In this installment, we will be covering the fandom side of One Piece.

- 4Kids' dub sucks. If you want to watch One Piece in English, watch Funimation's dub.

- Sanji does not eat lollipops, he smokes cigarettes. (See 4Kids dub)

- Pandaman appears in every scene in the manga.

- It is a truth universally acknowledged that nobody dies outside of flashbacks. ALL of Marineford falls under this umbrella.

- Yes, I know, our fandom is very underrated on Tumblr. I'm trying my hardest to make it not-so-underrated.

- The DysFUNctional Pirates - If you want a crack fic for One Piece, this is the fic you are looking for.

- Vivi and Jinbei are honorary members of the Straw Hats. Kinemon and Momonosuke? Maybe.

- The 4Kids' theme song for the show is awful.

- One Piece has twelve - would be thirteen, but Mugiwara Chase is only a half-hour and doesn't count - movies. The best one is Strong World or Film Z

- Lastly, Chopper is one of the most adorable things on the planet.

And, that is your two-part primer on One Piece. I would go into much more detail, but One Piece has many, intricate details and they do have spoilers. I hope you decide to read/watch One Piece, as it is a very wonderful anime and manga.

9/1/2013 #6
bye123456789

Irma's Primer for the Lizzie Bennet Diaries [LBD]

introduction - what is it?

The Lizzie Bennet Diaries is a modern day adaptation of Pride and Prejudice told in video blog form. All 100 episodes are found on YouTube. All you have to do is search up "Lizzie Bennet." Most episodes are 3-4 minutes long, although I think there was one that was 8? It's amazing, feelsy, shippy, and directed by Hank Green and Bernie Su. The cast and characters are so beautiful and wonderful. The series will make you laugh, cry, and JOIN THE FANDOM.

LBD also won an Emmy for "Best Interactive" because it is interactive. All of the characters have their own twitters, Tumblrs, Pinterest... Jane even has a LookBook! It's like these characters are *real.* Excuse me, they ARE real.

Erm, let's see, LBD is not for very small children. I'd say it's rated T, which isn't that bad, but just don't watch it while your five-year-old sister's in the room or something, yeah?

i. characters

• Lizzie Bennet - is a poor 24-year-old undergrad student and the star of the show! She's sarcastic, witty, and intelligent. She's making a video blog and the series is, for the most part, narrated by her. In the beginning, Lizzie is kind of prejudiced and judgmental, but she grows over the series and becomes a better person.
  • Jane Bennet - is Lizzie's older sister and the sweetest dear in the world. She greets everyone with "oh hi, it's so good to see you" and makes tea. She also works in fashion and is a fashion blogger.
  • Lydia Bennet - is Lizzie's younger sister. She's energetic and 'gets around' (and in the earlier bits of the series Lizzie and Lydia definitely do not get along - Lizzie slut-shames Lydia, Lydia calls Lizzie a nerd and has a list of reasons "why Lizzie Bennet is perpetually single -- it's a major part of the series that these two develop and get to love each other). She's also comic gold, but there are moments with Lydia that will make. you. cry.
  • Charlotte Lu - is Lizzie's best friend and the tech side of the vlog series. She takes advantage of opportunities and is more realistic than Lizzie. There's a part of the vlog when this causes a rift in their friendship, but they work through it because character development!
  • William Darcy - DARCY!! He doesn't appear in the series until like episode 51 and, yeah. He's shy, proud (only in the beginning of the series, though - he, too, develops. Yeah there's a lot of character development in LBD. Part of the reason it's so ah-ma-zing), socially awkward, possibly a hipster, and Lizzie's love interest. Need I say more?
  • Bing Lee - is Charles Bingley, basically. He's super sweet and as nice as Jane (when the two of them are together in a room, it makes Lizzie want to "poke her eye out with a spork" because "they're so pleasant"). But he's also insecure about Jane's love and heavily dependent on the approval of his friends and family. Again, character development helps him to stand on his own two feet and become his own person.
  • Gigi Darcy - is Darcy's younger sister and our resident shipper! She tries to play matchmaker for Lizzie and Darcy, and she's also very sweet and artistic and strong.
  • Fitz Williams - is Darcy's friend. He's funny and THE WORST WINGMAN (but he makes up for it eventually). He and Gigi conspire and ship together. Fitz is funny, but he also knows when to be loyal and really cares for Darcy.
  • Ricky Collins - is annoying, or adorable, depending on how you see him.
  • George Wickham - DON'T TRUST HIM. That's all you need to know.
  • Caroline Lee - You shouldn't trust her either. But she's better than George - she's only human and afraid of losing those she loves. Amazing as a character.

ii. ships

major canon ships

• Dizzie - Lizzie/Darcy - this is the queen of all LBD ships. They make each other better people, they make each other happy, and after a bunch of angst and cute moments and quotablequotes they get together at the end of the series, and they really deserve each other at that point.
  • Jing - Jane/Bing - term coined by Lydia. They look like Prince Eric and Ariel together, really, seriously, they're adorable. And they're so *pleasant.*

fanon/unrequited/brotp/minor ships - basically, everything else

• Lydia/Wickham - I, in no shape or form, ship this because it is unhealthy and George Wickham is a jerk than ruins the lives of all people!! //calms down// But yeah it exists.
  • Caroline/Darcy - Unrequited ship. There's evidence that Caroline likes Darcy romantically, but obviously, Darcy has Lizzie. You can't help but to feel sorry for Caroline even when she's being witchy because she really cares.
  • Fiji - Fitz/Gigi - More of a brOTP ship than anything else, since Fitz is gay and has a boyfriend named Brandon. But apparently it's important enough that it has its own ship name? The name comes from a Pemberley Digital episode in which Fitz tells Gigi that he's vacationing in Fiji, and fans were like Fiji = Figi = Fitz plus Gigi.
  • Fitz/Brandon - minor. We never get to see Brandon's face, even. But it deserves a mention.
  • Lydia/Gigi - I only brOTP this, but some people ship them romantically. I guess it makes sense. They've both been hurt, and it's nice to know that they can move on together.
  • Charlotte/Ricky Collins - I don't ship this at all, but some people do. They're canon in original P&P but Charlotte deserves *way* better!

iii. spinoffs

In addition to the main 100-episode LBD series, there are a variety of spinoffs, including:

• Lizzie Bennet Q&A's - self explanatory. Lizzie answers questions from real fans. 10 episodes.
  • TheLydiaBennet! - 29 episodes. Lydia vlogs.
  • PemberleyDigital - originally a 6 episode sequence featuring Gigi and Domino.
  • Welcome to Sanditon - I think there's 30 episodes. It features Gigi, Domino, a new town, and a whole new cast of characters. The most notable spinoff.
  • Maria of the Lu - I think it's 7 or 8 episodes? Features Maria Lu, Charlotte's younger sister, and Charlotte herself.

conclusion - go watch the show now

There's a lot of stuff I haven't been able to cover (like the cast ) because I felt like this was getting too long. Gah, just watch it.

Basically, to recap the important characters are - Lizzie, Jane, Lydia, Charlotte, Darcy and Bing. And the main ships are Dizzie and Jing.

Thanks for reading!

9/2/2013 . Edited 9/5/2013 #7
Oxenstierna D. Yuki-Rin

Yuki-Rin's Primer for Welcome to Night Vale

Welcome to Night Vale is a twice-monthly podcast done in the format of a small-town radio show. You can subscribe to the series for free on iTunes, or look it up on Youtube. The show is what I have stated earlier - Done in the format of a small-town radio show, radio DJ Cecil Palmer delivers the news of the small, desert town of Night Vale. From Hiram McDaniels the five-headed dragon to the Glow Cloud, Night Vale is a pretty strange place.

Characters:

Cecil Palmer - The host of the radio show, he reports on the local news, weather, sports, traffic, and other goings-on in his weird town. While he does love the perfect, magnificent scientist Carlos, he hates Steve Carlsburg with a passion.

Carlos - A scientist who came to Night Vale to study how weird the town is. He's, according to Cecil, really beautiful and has nice hair. He does hook up with Cecil at around episode 27.

Koshkeh - A floating cat found in the radio station bathroom. He is also the radio station's pet.

Old Woman Josie by the Car Lot - An old lady named Josie who talks to angels and hangs out near a car lot.

Hiram McDaniels - A five-headed dragon who is running for mayor.

John Peters - You know, the farmer. A farmer who lives right outside of Night Vale.

Mayor Pamela Winchell - The mayor of Night Vale, and a total BAMF in my book.

Steve Carlsburg - Cecil's worst enemy.

Dana - An intern at the radio station Cecil works at.

Kevin - The radio DJ in the neighboring town of Desert Bluffs, which is a much worse place than Night Vale.

Things You Need to Know About Night Vale:

- Wednesday has been cancelled due to a scheduling error.

- The World Government (not the one from One Piece) controls everything.

- Don't go near the dog park.

- Mayor Pamela Winchell does not sleep - She waits.

- Drink to forget.

And, that's my primer on Welcome to Night Vale. Shut the blinds, pretend to sleep, and drink to forget. Also, bow to the Glow Cloud.

9/2/2013 . Edited 11/9/2013 #8
Thargelion

Shady's primer for Divergent! ♥

Divergent is going to be a trilogy. Two book are out: Divergent and Insurgent, respectfully. The next one will be called Allegiant.

Basically, there's five factions (groups if the word faction confuses you). They are all in different parts of futuristic Chicago. They are all based on traits. Amity is peacefulness. Dauntless is bravery. Candor is honesty. Erudite is intelligence. Abnegation is selflessness. When you are sixteen, you choose what faction you belong in, based on your traits.

There's also another category- Divergent. If you have traits that would group you into several factions, then you are Divergent. Being Divergent is very dangerous.

The main character, Beatrice Prior, was born in Abnegation. When she gets tested to see what faction she belongs in, though, her results are Erudite, Dauntless, and Abnegation, making her Divergent.

That's all I'm telling you. :p

9/7/2013 #9
Oxenstierna D. Yuki-Rin

Yuki-Rin's Primer for Portlandia

Portlandia is a show on IFC starring Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein. The show is a sketch comedy about the city of Portland, Oregon, and about the many hipsters who live there. Even if you're not hipster indie/alternative like me, you'll find this show to be very hilarious. It has three seasons (all are available on Netflix), and the fourth season is coming out in January.

Characters:

Fred and Carrie: Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein. Yes, they do appear as themselves.

Tori and Candace: The owners of the Women and Women First Bookstore, which is a feminist bookstore. Between Candace trying to solve problems by dousing things in gasoline and setting them on fire to journaling classes at their store, Tori and Candace have some of the funniest sketches on the show.

Pete and Nance: A married, hipster couple. They usually get an episode or two a season dedicated to them. Also, whenever Pete gets flustered, he stutters and goes "and - and- and - and - and - and..." a lot.

Nina and Lance: The gender-swapped forms of Pete and Nance. They've gotten a couple of episodes about them in the past.

Dave and Kathy: Another, married, hipster couple. They also usually get an episode a season dedicated to them.

Spyke and Iris: A "cool" couple. Although Spyke is most famous for the "Over" sketch, he has been in a couple notable episodes, such as the one where he and Iris plan their "cool wedding" and the episode where he and Iris try and take MTV back from pre-teens.

Bryce and Lisa: What are they - Entrepreneurs? Crooked salesmen? Either way, they're my favorite characters, because they have the best skits of the show. They are the ones who star in the famous "Put a Bird on It" sketch.

The Mayor: The Mayor of Portland, and he's... A nutcase. One episode involved him being missing, only to end up in a reggae band and have his stint in said band play out like a scandal. Another episode featured him trying to boycott the summer Olympics from coming to Portland.

Famous Skits:

Women and Women First skits: The skits starring Tori and Candace working at their feminist bookstore. Shenanigans include Candace's son stopping by for a visit and Aubrey Plaza playing a college student needing books for a Womens' Studies class.

Put a Bird on It: My favorite sketch. It stars Bryce and Lisa, and it's all about them going to a store to decorate the items with fake birds.

Over: A hipster discovers that all the things he does are getting trendy, so he declares them to be "over". Ex. "Shell art is over!"

Dream of the '90's: A man from Los Angeles tells his roommate about a trip he took to Portland, where "the dream of the Nineties is alive in Portland, Portland, Portland". Has a sequel sketch called "Dream of the 1890's".

Whose Dog is This?: While having lunch at a restaurant, a couple discovers a dog tied to a post. While trying to find its owners, the couple tries to free the dog. They free the dog, but the owners come back for it about five seconds later.

We Can Pickle It: Another sketch starring Bryce and Lisa. This time, they pickle various items.

Cacao: A sketch starring Nina and Lance. They invent a safe word, "Cacao" (which is another word for chocolate, BTW), to use when things get dangerous.

That's all for my primer on Portlandia. Remember that the Dream of the Nineties is alive in Portland, Portland, Portland!

9/7/2013 . Edited 11/1/2013 #10
bye123456789

Irma's Primer for Harry Potter Nextgen

introduction - aka sales pitch

Are you one of those people who look at names like "Lorcan Scamander" and "Lucy Weasley" and go "who the eff is that?" Well then, do I have the primer for you!

The wonderful/crazy thing about nextgen is that there are (almost) no rules. Everything is very open. There is no almighty "canon." Many of the characters do not have set personalities, appearances, or even ages. It's all up to the fan and the headcanon.

characters - who the eff are these people?

Characters can be separated into two main categories - canon and 'psuedocanon' (not an official term, just one I made up). Canon characters are characters who appear in the epilogue of HP7, mentioned directly in the book. Psuedocanon characters are not mentioned in the book, but instead in interviews with Jo Rowling, mainly from a documentary called J.K. Rowling: A Year in the Life. Here's a brief overview of the characters, arranged by family.

canon kids

• Rose Weasley: daughter of Ron and Hermione Weasley.
  • Hugo Weasley: son of Ron and Hermione Weasley. Younger than Rose.

/

• Scorpius Malfoy: son of Draco and Astoria Malfoy. Rose's age. By the way, Astoria Malfoy (maiden name: Greengrass) is Draco's official canon wife and the sister of Daphne Greengrass, who was in Draco's year.

/

• Teddy Lupin: son of Remus and Nymphandora "Tonks" Lupin. The oldest of the nextgen kids.

/

• Victoire Weasley: daughter of Bill and Fleur Weasley.
  • Dominique Weasley: daughter of Bill and Fleur Weasley. Younger than Victoire. *actually psuedocanon
  • Louis Weasley: son of Bill and Fleur Weasley. Their youngest kid. *actually psuedocanon

/

• James Sirius Potter: son of Harry and Ginny Potter. Sometimes referred to as James II to distinguish from Harry's father.
  • Albus Severus Potter: son of Harry and Ginny Potter. Younger than James, Rose's age.
  • Lily Luna Potter: daughter of Harry and Ginny Potter. Their youngest kid. Sometimes referred to as Lily II to distinguish from Harry's mother.

psuedocanon kids

• Fred Weasley II: son of George and Angelina Weasley. Angelina Weasley (maiden name: Johnson) is George's official canon wife.
  • Roxanne Weasley: daughter of George and Angelina Weasley. Younger than Fred II.

/

• Molly Weasley II: daughter of Percy and Audrey Weasley. Audrey Weasley (maiden name unknown) is Percy's official canon wife.
  • Lucy Weasley: daughter of Percy and Audrey Weasley. Younger than Molly.

/

• Lysander and Lorcan Scamander: twin sons of Rolf and Luna Scamander. Rolf Scamander - grandson of Newt Scamander, the author of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them) - is Luna (maiden name: Lovegood)'s official canon husband.

pairings - anything goes.

Basically, the rule of thumb is "nothing is too crazy." Like already mentioned, this is the Harry Potter fandom and there are no rules. Cousincest? No biggie. Incest? Like shippers care. Age gap? That will not stop them. Anything goes.

10/17/2013 . Edited 10/17/2013 #11
Thargelion

Shady's Primer for Outsiders

The Outsiders is set in 1967 in a town called Tulsa, Oklahoma. Since it's the 60's, they've still got the whole greaser thing going on.

Basically, Tulsa is separated by the two groups, the Socials and the greasers. Let's start on the Socials.

The Socials are usually called the Socs. They are very rich and almost always have a good family situation. They show off their flashy cars and stuff a lot. They have beer blasts and they jump* the greasers.

The greasers are the poor kids. They have a lot of hair oil in their hair, which is how they got their name, naturally. Pretty much everyone on the greasers' side of Tulsa has a terrible family situation. They get jumped by the Socs a lot. They fight with the Socs.

There are few small gangs that are briefly mentioned.

The Brumly gang lives in a suburb of Tulsa called Brumly. They are generally uneducated and have weird vocabulary.

Tim Shepard's gang sticks around by the train tracks. They fight with weapons, and are often called Tim Shepard and Co. Tim Shepard is the leader of the gang.

Both gangs, if forced, would be on the greasers' side over the Socs.

The characters are pretty memorable. First the Curtis brothers...

First of all, there's the main character. His name is Ponyboy Curtis, and he's fourteen. He likes reading, movies, and sunsets. He fights only in self-defense and in rumbles**.

Then there's Ponyboy's older brother, Sodapop Curtis. He's sixteen, seventeen in a month (or something like that...) and he dropped out of school to get a job, and because he's 'dumb'. He works at a gas station and is really hot. He fights for fun.

There's Darrel Curtis, Ponyboy's oldest brother. He is usually called Darry. He is a roofing person, and works a lot. He is serious and very muscular. People call him Superman. He fights to 'show off his muscles'. He is in his early twenties.

Let's talk about the rest of the gang...

Two-Bit Mathews's real name is Kieth, but no one calls him that. He jokes around a lot and drinks a lot. He's a junior in high school at age eighteen, and goes to school only to mess around ...and get held back another year. He fights to fit in.

You don't know much about Steve. His name is Steve Randle. He has hair in 'complicated swirls'. He gets kicked out of his house a lot and is Sodapop's age. He fights for hatred, because he hates the Socs.

Johnnycake. I mean, Johnny Cade. He is sixteen, but he looks about fourteen. He's Ponyboy's best friend, and is very quiet. He gets beat a lot at home and runs away a lot. He looks up to Dallas a lot, which you can take whichever way you want. He fights in self-defense.

And now, my favorite- Dallas Winston. He's called "Dally" a lot. He is from New York City, and has seen a ton of bad shit happen. He spent 3 years in the wild side of NY, and was arrested for the first time at age ten. He is seventeen and he is the shit. Honestly. Despite popular belief, he has BLOND hair. He is a total hard-ass and tries not to show any emotions that are 'weak'. He fights because it's fun to fight and hurt people.

Then there's the five Socials that have names. Well, six...

Sherri Valance is usually always called Cherry, because of her red hair. She is supposed to be really good-looking. She has a fiery temper and a kinda-sorta-crush on Dallas Winston. Dating Bob Sheldon. She understands the greasers and watches sunsets.

Marcia is Sherri's friend. She is dark-haired and fairly pretty. She is dating Randy Adderson.

Randy Adderson is Marcia's boyfriend, and protective of her. According to Marcia and Cherry, he gets boozed up a lot. He can be an okay person.

Robert Sheldon is usually called Bob. He is a bully, and his parents give him a lot of freedom. He's Cherry's boyfriend and drinks as much as Randy.

Paul Holden is Darry's old friend. He and Darry were really close, but then Paul joined the Socs.

David is only mentioned once. In one line, actually. "Give the kid a bath, David!" And then he tries to drown Ponyboy. *clap. clap. clap.* Sounds like a pretty awesome guy. Not.

A bit of the slang in /The Ousiders/.

*Jumped: assaulted on the street.

**Rumble: a kind of gang fight.

Heater: a gun.

Bluff: a guy.

Weed: a cigarette.

Cancer stick: a cigarette, again.

I won't tell you the plot, but a bunch of amazing shit happens.

11/1/2013 . Edited 11/5/2013 #12
Oxenstierna D. Yuki-Rin

Yuki-Rin's Primer for Arrested Development:

Now the story of a wealthy family who lost everything, and the one son who had no choice but to keep them all together.

Arrested Development is a show about the wealthy Bluth family. During a yacht party, the head of the family, George Bluth, gets arrested for various charges, and his son, Michael, must take over the family business... And the family, since they move in to his house.

The Bluth Family:

- George Bluth: The patriarch of the family who gets arrested in the first episode. He is actually enjoying his time in prison and makes the most of it, from joining the prison softball team to converting to Judaism.

- Lucille Bluth: The matriarch of the family. Her favorite things are booze, getting drunk, more booze, and drinking with Lucille 2. Her son, Buster, lives with her in her expensive penthouse she still lives in despite the family finances going crazy.

- Michael Bluth: The protagonist of the show. His wife died sometime before the show started, and he and his son, George-Michael, were planning to move to Arizona to start a new life before George's arrest. It goes without saying that Michael is the only sane one in the family, and his family drags him into crazy situations every episode.

- George-Michael Bluth: Michael's thirteen-year old son. He's a very good an obedient boy, but, like all teens, he is awkward. He also has a crush on his cousin, Maeby.

- Buster Bluth: One of Michael's brothers. If there is a poster child for "man-child", Buster would fit the description. Despite being at least in his thirties or forties, he still lives with his mother and is still coddled. Buster also takes on a lot of "enrichment" activities and he is Lucille 2's girlfriend.

- Gob Bluth: Michael's other brother. He's a magician who performs ILLUSIONS, not TRICKS. He lives on the family yacht, and he has an on-again, off-again relationship with Marta, a Mexican soap opera actress.

- Lindsey Funke: Michael's sister and Tobias' wife. While she does support a lot of charitable causes (which usually end up as plot points to an episode), Lindsey is also rather vapid and shallow.

- Tobias Funke: Lindsey's husband. He is a psychiatrist who quit his practice to become an actor, but to no success. He is most famous for "blueing himself" in order to join the Blue Man Group.

- Maeby Funke: Lindsey and Tobias' daughter and George-Michael's cousin, Maeby is usually the one who starts (or resolves) at least one crazy scheme per episode. She also kind of enables George-Michael's crush on her.

Other relevant characters:

- Marta: Gob's on-again, off-again, soap opera actress girlfriend.

- Lucille Austero, A.K.A., Lucille 2: A millionaire who owns a successful Spanish-language television station. She is Lucille Bluth's frenemy/neighbor (hence her nickname "Lucille 2") and Buster's girlfriend.

- Carl Weathers: An actor Tobias is taking acting lessons from. He is obsessed with making stews.

- Annyong: Lucille's adopted son from Korea. Since the first word he said to the Bluths was "Annyong" (Which is Korean for "Hello"), everyone assumes that Annyong is his name.

- Mrs. Featherbottom: Actually, Mrs. Featherbottom is Tobias posing as a British woman.

Arrested Development ran for three seasons, but got cancelled. A few months ago, Netflix picked it up, and there's a fourth season. Some more seasons and a movie are being planned as I speak. Plus, this show is so hilarious. If you haven't watched it yet, watch it now.

11/1/2013 . Edited 11/4/2013 #13
angels entwined

Angel's Primer for Percy Jackson and the Olympians:

This isn't the whole thing, I'll be editing a lot.

PJO (often referred to as PJ, PJatO, HoO — the second series — and Percy Jackson) is a series by Rick Riordan. It's a world where Greek gods from the myths are real, and in the modern world, they have children with mortals. These children are called demigods (half-gods). The protagonist, Percy Jackson, is a son of Poseidon, but the sea god isn't supposed to have kids. (This plot sorta takes a backseat, though.)

In the beginning of the series, Percy, at age twelve, finds out he's a demigod. He's taken to Camp Half-Blood, a safe haven for demigods so they aren't attacked by monsters for the ichor (golden god blood) in their blood, because monsters/immortals smell it. And so it begins. . .

Books

• The Lightning Thief: the first book.
  • The Sea of Monsters: second book.
  • The Titan's Curse: third.
  • Battle of the Labyrinth: fourth.
  • The Last Olympian: fifth.
  • And there's the HoO books; getting to that later.

Characters

• Perseus "Percy" Jackson; twelve in the first, fifteen/sixteen in the fifth. He's sarcastic, very loyal, and terribly oblivious. Son of Poseidon, so he has some powers over water, but the ichor in his blood is stronger due to a powerful godly parent, so monsters smell it more.
  • Annabeth Chase; she's a daughter of Athena, intelligent, prideful, and blonde. (DEFYING THE STEREOTYPE.) Also Percy's love interest in later books, but first and foremost, his best friend.
  • Grover Underwood; a satyr (half-human, half-goat), he's kind, nervous, and cares a lot about nature. Also Percy's friend, having brought him to Camp Half-Blood, though he takes a backseat in later books (read: HoO).
  • Luke Castellan; he's a son of Hermes, and he's an antagonist, betraying the camp by joining up with (most of) the Olympians' (twelve major gods) evil parent, Kronos, who's resurrected by Luke. Luke's bitter that the gods never pay attention to demigods.
  • Rachel Elizabeth Dare; she's a mortal who can see through the Mist, appearing in Titan's Curse as a quick character and making an unexpected comeback in Battle of the Labyrinth. She's redheaded, artistic, and her parents are rich (but she's not as snotty as them).
  • Thalia Grace; she's a pine tree at first (more on it later), but in Sea of Monsters, at the end, she becomes her normal self. Rebellious, temperamental, and easily tempted by power, she's a daughter of Zeus.
  • Sally Jackson; Percy's mother; she's a kind woman who usually makes an appearance of some sort every book. She moves on from Poseidon and to Paul Blofis, who she marries.
  • Nico di Angelo; simply because the fandom loves him. He's a son of Hades, quiet, withdrawn, angsty, but whatever the fandom tells you, he's not emo. At least not much. Also has baddonkey Hades powers.
  • Clarisse La Rue; daughter of Ares, the war god, she's a bit of a bully at first. However, she grows to mature, and she's very tough, but it's shown that she isn't as mean as she seems.

Uh, those are the more major ones, I think. There's definitely more, but I haven't read PJO in a while.

Stuff to Know: Background

Character background first. Know:

• Annabeth's got family issues. Her father never wanted Athena to dump a baby on him. He gets a normal mortal wife, has normal mortal kids (Bobby and Matthew, I think, but they're barely mentioned), and pretends she doesn't exist. She runs away when she's seven, ends up at camp, but eventually resolves her issues with him.
  • So does Thalia; her mother became unstable when Zeus left, going to alcohol, and Thalia ran away. She soon met Luke, then Annabeth, and ends up at camp. However, when the monsters are chasing after them, she holds them back so her friends can leave. She would've died, but Zeus turned her into a pine tree so her tree!spirit could watch over camp and magically keep the monsters out — it's a monster boundary.
  • Luke's mother, May, tried to become the host of the Oracle (a spirit that inhabits women and "possesses" them on occasion to tell prophecies for the future), but it had a curse on it that meant it'd stay as its previous host's corpse. The attempt drove her insane, so she had fits where she could see her son's future with Kronos (and eventual death), scaring child!Luke. Angry his dad never tried to help him or May, he ran away, met Thalia/Annabeth, etc.
  • Grover was a bit of an exile among the satyrs because he was the satyr leading the T/A/L trio to camp (five years before the first book; satyrs age slowly) and failed, and Thalia died.
  • Rachel's parents are these rich snobs, but she doesn't really approve of that and does stuff like try to save endangered specimens and contribute to charities and such.
  • Nico is initially this super happy kid who likes Mythomagic (a video game with Greek gods), but his older sister, Bianca, dies in the third book. He gets angry because Percy promised to protect her, discovers Hades is his parent, runs away from camp, cue angst. He still remains angsty because he's such an oddball (Hades, hello?), though he forgives Percy.

Basically, demigods have lots and lots of parent issues. Or just issues in general. Okay? Okay.

Mythological details summed up in:

In WWII, so much damage was done by sons of the Big Three (Zeus, Poseidon, Hades) they agreed to have no more kids just because they were so powerful. This is why Percy and Thalia were originally supposed to die.

Gods are usually **s with really gray morals who have issues with pride and paying attention to their damn kids. They just really enjoy sleeping with mortals (with a few exceptions: for one, Dionysus hates demigods and is very loyal to his wife, Ariadne, so he has few kids; Artemis and Hestia have vowed to be virgins; et cetera). They're temperamental, easily offended, and self-centered.

Okay, screw this, I'm just going to move onto the fandom stuff and put an HoO primer into a separate post. It would take me a million years to summarize PJO.

Actual Fandom Stuff

Popular Abbreviations:

Aside from usual FF stuff, just worry about:

• TLT: The Lightning Thief.
  • SoM: Sea of Monsters.
  • TC: Titan's Curse.
  • BoTL: Battle of the Labyrinth.
  • TLO: The Last Olympian.
  • HoO: Heroes of Olympus.
  • TLH/SoN/MoA/HoH: HoO books.

Popular (Somewhat) Canon Ships:

• Percabeth — PercyAnnabeth. Basically the fandom OTP. Some fangirls are frankly rabid and there's so much bad Percabeth, but overall it's a nice ship. :3
  • Perachel — PercyRachel, bc of the love triangle in BoTL/TLO. If you're not a Percabeth'er, chances are you're a Perachel'er. Fewer in number and less rabid, but there's still some rabid people.
  • SallyPaul/SallyPoseidon — 'tis two very calm ships, and sometimes it's a triangle, but overall they're cool. :3
  • Tratie — they've only had one conversation in-canon and they're minor characters, but it's weirdly popular and that conversation was a crowning moment.
  • Silendorf/Charlena — CharlieSilena; they don't feature that majorly until TLO, but it's really cute!
  • Chrisse — ChrisClarisse. They're p much official by BoTL/TLO for some reason; there isn't much canonical explanation, tbh, but it is very much canon.
  • Lukabeth — LukeAnnabeth. It's more of a sibling or schoolgirl-crush thing on Annabeth's side, tbh, but no one ships it much because they're wrapped up in Percabeth.
  • Thuke — ThaliaLuke. It's not canon, but their brOTP is, and Thalia was really torn when she found out upon being revived from her tree state that Luke turned traitor. People like this ship.

Popular Non-Canon Ships

• Thalico — ThaliaNico. Just because Percy's paired already and children of the Big Three, I guess. They don't know each other well canonically and it makes no sense to me, but people like it a lot.
  • NicoOC — OH GOD. STEER CLEAR OF THIS SHIP. IT IS FULL OF RABID NICO FANGIRLS. STEER CLEAR. No, seriously, it's not that bad. Oh, wait, it is. I know plenty of reasonable Percabeth'ers, but I've yet to find a good NicoOC.
  • RachelNico — it's a beautiful pairing, but I'm biased. The pairing doesn't have a lot of fic, but a lot of that fic is very good, and it's not as remote as you'd think!
  • Pothena — PoseidonAthena, because Foe Yay. I don't even know, seriously.

Popular Ideas:

My freaking wifi crashed and erased everything. **.

Will rewrite later.

-_____________________________-

11/22/2013 . Edited 11/22/2013 #14
Oxenstierna D. Yuki-Rin

Yuki-Rin's Primer to the Big Three/Holy Trinity of Indie/Alternative Music

So, you came here looking for a primer on the Holy Trinity of Grace Helbig, Mamrie Hart, and Hannah Hart? I'm sorry, but you have the wrong primer. This is for the OTHER Holy Trinity of the internet - Arctic Monkeys, The Strokes, and Vampire Weekend. All three of them are the most famous indie/alternative bands, and people usually listen to all three artists.

The Strokes - Members consist of Julian Casablancas, Albert Hammond Jr., Nikolai Fraiture, Nick Valensi, and Fabrizio "Fab" Moretti. Famous songs include Last Nite, 80's Comedown Machine, and Someday. Currently, the band is on hiatus since Julian is on a solo tour and Albert just released a solo album, but they're getting back together next year. Also, lots of girls like Julian, because... Well, look him up on Google Image.

Arctic Monkeys - Members consist of Alex Turner, Nick O'Malley, Matt Helders, and Jaime Cook. Famous songs include Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair, Fake Tales of San Francisco, Do I Wanna Know?, and 505. Alex did the music for the movie Submarine (which you may or may not have seen), and he is also known for dancing badly and his quiffy hair. The band is also known for not performing Mardy Bum at shows (which they do. It's Balaclava they don't seem to perform live). Arctic Monkeys is on tour right now, and I believe they're in Europe right now.

Vampire Weekend - Members consist of Ezra Koenig, Rostam Batmanglij, Chris Baio, and Chris "CT" Tomson. Famous songs include Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa, Diane Young, Unbelievers, and Horchata. Before Vampire Weekend, the guys were attending Columbia University and they were in a rap group called L'Homme Run, and their best song was Pizza Party, which is about a pizza party. Ezra is on Twitter (and he has some very hilarious Tweets), Rostam is on Tumblr, and CT and Baio are on Vine. The band is on tour right now, and Baio is releasing a solo album very soon.

Sometimes, Two Door Cinema Club is included, making this the Big Four of Indie/Alternative/Hipster Music. Members consist of Alex Trimble, Sam Halliday, and Kevin Baird. Benji Tompson is also included, but he's only with the group in concerts, since the band uses a drum machine when they record songs. Famous songs include What You Know, Changing of the Seasons, Eat That Up it's Good For You, and I Can Talk. Alex Trimble is also the most adorable thing on the planet, and the band is known for being very nice and caring to their fans. Currently, Two Door Cinema Club is on tour.

11/22/2013 . Edited 1/3/2014 #15
unclearchie

Jenn's Primer for the Naomily Fandom in Three Words

What Skins Fire?

11/22/2013 #16
Oxenstierna D. Yuki-Rin

Yuki-Rin's Primer for Dangan Ronpa

Dangan Ronpa is a video game from Japan which was made into an anime. In it, fifteen talented students are invited to attend school at Hope's Peak Academy in Japan. But, when they get there, their principal, Monokuma, tells the students that they will be trapped in the school forever. However, there is only one way to get out - Pull off the perfect murder. After a student is murdered, the surviving classmates hold a trial to find a culprit. If the students pick the correct murderer, the murderer is executed. However, if they pick the wrong person, everyone but the murderer is executed and the murderer is allowed to "graduate".

The High School Students of Hope and Despair:

Makoto Naegi: The protagonist of Dangan Ronpa. He is the Super High School-Level Good Luck, as he was accepted to Hope's Peak on a scholarship only awarded to thirty people. He plays a huge role in the trials.

Sayaka Maizono: The Super High School-Level Pop Idol. She was Naegi's best friend in middle school before her singing career took off. Like other "kill or be killed" stories, Sayaka - the best friend of the protagonist - is the first to die.

Leon Kuwata: The Super High School-Level Baseball Player. Leon isn't really a fan of playing baseball, as he would rather become a rock star. He is the first one to be executed, as he is the one who killed Sayaka.

Chihiro Fujisaki: The Super High School-Level Computer Programmer, Chihiro is actually a boy dressed as (and pretending to be) a girl. She makes a computer program called "Alter Ego", which helps the students figure out the mysteries of Hope's Peak Academy and Monokuma.

Mondo Oowada: The Super High School-Level Biker. By far, he has the most tragic story out of the group of students - On the night of his induction to a biker gang, Mondo challenged his brother to a race. During the race, his brother got into an accident and died. That's all I'm going to say about his story since it has spoilers.

Kiyotaka Ishimaru: The Super High School-Level Hall Monitor. Ishimaru is Mondo's best friend, and what happens to Mondo in the series sends Ishimaru into a deep depression.

Celestia Ludenberg (A.K.A. Taeko Hagakure): The Super High School-Level Gambler, Celestia is always dressed as a goth-lolita queen due to her regal nature. However, it is all a lie to cover her real self up - The plain and ordinary Taeko Hagakure.

Hifumi Yamada: The Super High School-Level Doujinshi Artist. He's rather obese and serves as one of the comic relief characters.

Sakura Oogami: The Super High School-Level Fighter. Her muscular appearance gives her the appearance of a man wearing a Japanese girl's school uniform. Sakura is actually a mole Monokuma planted into the school. Overwhelmed with being the mole, Sakura eventually commits suicide.

Aoi Asahina: The Super High School-Level Swimmer. Sakura is her best friend, and she really loves donuts.

Byakuya Togami: The Super High School-Level Heir. Heir to the Togami Conglomerate, Togami is very snobby and stuck-up. He does get a bit better as the series progresses, though.

Touko Fukawa (A.K.A. Genocider Syo): The Super High School-Level Writer, Touko is very anxious and has a raging crush on Togami. In reality, she has Dissociative Identity Disorder and her split personality is Genocider Syo, an infamous serial killer who tends to target men. Genocider Syo's main weapon of choice is scissors.

Yasahiro Hagakure: The Super High School-Level Fortune Teller. He actually doesn't do much throughout the series and is more of a joke character.

Kyouko Kirigiri: The Super High School-Level Detective who plays a very huge role in the trials. She came to the school to look for her father, who was the original headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy before Monokuma took over, which is why Monokuma wants her dead.

Junko Enoshima: The Super High School-Level Model, Junko is very bratty and self-centered. Monokuma kills her in episode two for disobedience... Or did he?

The Other Characters:

Monokuma (Or Monobear): The headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy. He is a teddy bear who is half-hope, half-despair. One minute, he can act cute, and the next minute, he's encouraging the students to kill each other.

Mukuro Ikusaba: The Super High School-Level Soldier. Monokuma keeps her hidden as a sixteenth student up until the point where only six students are left. However, when Mukuro is released into Hope's Peak, she is already dead.

Dangan Ronpa has a sequel, Super Dangan Ronpa 2, that has an all new cast of students and shifts the setting from a boarding school to an island paradise. We're still waiting on the anime adaptation of Super Dangan Ronpa 2.

11/22/2013 #17
bye123456789

Irma's (Attempt at Making a) Primer for Doctor Who (part one)

background info

This primer will only be for New Who, not Classic Who. If you're unsure of the difference, Classic Who ran from 1963-1996. Then, in 2005, Russell T. Davies (RTD), Julie Gardner, and Mal Young picked it up. This started New Who, which has run from 2005-present.

The Doctor is an alien species called a Time Lord and travels around through time and space in his TARDIS (Time And Relative Dimension In Space), usually with a human companion. He has the ability to regenerate when he dies. Each regeneration has a new face and a slightly different personality. New Who picks up with the Doctor's Ninth regeneration* (called Ninth Doctor, Nine, etc.), which is played by Christopher Eccleston.

*The 50th special pulls some stuff which messes up a lot of ** but we'll ignore that for now because that's not until after series seven and you're not supposed to know this yet

series one

characters

Nine: The Ninth regeneration of the Doctor. He's the most broody (is that the right word?) of the New Who doctors. He's the most affected by his actions in the Time War* but he's also energetic and cheerful(ish) most of the time.

Rose Tyler: Nine's main companion. Brave, observant, and compassionate, if a bit humanly selfish at times, she was a 19-year-old ordinary shop girl before she left with the Doctor. She cares deeply for the Doctor.

Mickey Smith: Rose's boyfriend (ex-boyfriend by the end of this series). Originally a big wuss, although he develops as a character all throughout series one and becomes pretty awesome by the end.

Jackie Tyler: Rose's mother. Originally distrusting of the Doctor, Jackie warms up to him once she realizes that he doesn't mean to harm Rose. Although a bit overbearing, she really wants the best for her daughter.

Pete Tyler: Rose's father who died when she was very young.

Captain Jack Harkness: flirts with everyone. That is all.

Daleks: the Doctor's worst enemies. Most were destroyed at the end of the Time War, but some survived. These Daleks show up in all of the Doctor's regenerations.

ships

RoseDoctor: One of DW's biggest ships. Like OTP status big. dON'T SHIP IT IT ONLY CAUSES PAIN AND IT ONLY GETS WORSE AS THE SHOW PROGRESSES

JackEveryone: what it says on the tin.

personal favorite episodes

I love all the episodes but my top five from this season are: Rose, Empty Child/Doctor Dances (2 episodes, 1 story arc), Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways

!---------spoiler alert----------!

At the end of Parting of the Ways, Daleks are about to destroy the universe, and Nine sends Rose back in the TARDIS home, where she will be safe. However, with the help of Jackie and Mickey, Rose finds a way to get back. She absorbs the Time Vortex of the TARDIS, changing her into the Bad Wolf. She flies the TARDIS back to Nine, disintegrates all the Daleks, and scatters the words "Bad Wolf" all throughout time and space as a message. However, the Time Vortex is not meant to be absorbed and is destroying her. The Doctor transfers the Vortex into himself with a kiss ("I think you need a Doctor" asfdahfoiae OTP), to save Rose's life. The Doctor then regenerates.

season two

characters

Most of the characters from S1 reappear in S2. (Rose, Jackie, Mickey, Daleks, etc.)

Ten: played by David Tennant, Ten is outgoing, lively, and friendly. Still the Doctor though, more or less.

parallel!Pete Tyler: Pete Tyler from a parallel universe (colloquially called Pete's World). He is alive and successful.

Ricky and Jake: Ricky is the parallel version of Mickey. Jake is Ricky's friends. They're pretty baddonkey.

Sarah Jane Smith: is an old companion of the Doctor from Classic Who (traveled with Four, I think). She has an adventure with the Doctor after she finds his TARDIS but ultimately decides that her travels with the Doctor are over.

Cybermen: an enemy of the Doctor. They want to "upgrade" humanity by changing them into emotionless robots.

Torchwood: not really a character, but an organization devoted to learning about alien forces and combating them, with violence even.

Donna Noble: appears in one episode in the Christmas special at the end of S2.

ships

RoseDoctor: I TOLD YOU IT GETS WORSE I TOLD YOU. Still OTP status.

Again, love them all, but top five: School Reunion, Impossible Planet/Satan Pit (!!), Army of Ghosts/Doomsday (even though ;-; adfhoaiwe)

!---------spoiler alert----------!

DON'T **ING READ THIS DON'T BE LIKE **ING RAY AND HAZEL AND ANGEL THERE'S A **ING SPOILER ALERT I WARNED YOU

DON'T **ING READ ANYTHING BELOW THIS ALERT YOU SUCKERS DON'T IS THIS NOTICEABLE ENOUGH???

I DON'T CARE IF YOU NEVER PAY ATTENTION TO SPOILER ALERTS AND YOU IGNORED THE LAST ONE. IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU DO NOT READ ANYTHING BELOW THIS ALERT UNLESS YOU HAVE ALREADY FINISHED S2

At the end of the season finale, Doomsday, Cybermen from Pete's World are invading their world with the accidental help of Torchwood, even though travel between parallel universes is supposed to be impossible. (The whole of both universes will be ripped apart if you try to travel between them.) In addition, Torchwood has discovered this strange sphere thing which turns out to contain none other than Daleks. The Daleks and Cybermen declare war against each other, with Earth caught in between. The Doctor makes a device that will suck the Daleks and Cybermen into the void - which is the empty space between parallel universes - because anyone that has been traveling through parallel universes has remaining "void stuff" hovering around them.

Okay, this description is starting to get confusing but basically: the Doctor sends Rose back to Pete's World to keep her safe while he fights the Daleks and Cybermen, but Rose comes back and tells him, "I made my decision long ago, I'm never going to leave you. Now what can I do to help?" (Something like that anyway, //sobbing OTP OTP)

Anyway so Rose helps the Doctor but her lever slips and while she tries to fix it she's sucked into the void, but Pete comes back at the last minute and takes Rose into the parallel universe, Rose and the Doctor are separated to never see each other again because the whole of two universes will be destroyed. (//sobbing OTP OTP OTP)

The Doctor says goodbye to Rose through a small crack powered by a supernova. ("I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye.") Rose breaks down crying and tells the Doctor, "I love you." The Doctor says, "Rose Tyler..." but fades away before he finishes that statement. In the TARDIS, he cries.

And then Donna Noble randomly appears in his TARDIS and helps snap him out of his grief and stop him from doing something stupid like dying.

11/29/2013 . Edited 11/30/2013 #18
Oxenstierna D. Yuki-Rin

Yuki-Rin's Primer for Parks and Recreation

Parks and Recreation is a mockumentary-styled comedy on the NBC. Centering around the Parks and Recreation department of Pawnee, Indiana, it follows the story of Leslie Knope and her efforts to beautify the city of Pawnee.

The Members of the Pawnee, Indiana, Parks and Recreation Department:

Leslie Knope: Our main character, Leslie is always enthusiastic about her projects. If anybody doesn't like what Leslie does, she'll continue to pursue the project, no matter what. A role model for many fans of the show, Leslie also likes waffles.

Mark Brendanowicz: Another worker for the Parks and Recreation Department, Mark works as a city planner. He briefly dated Leslie before the show started, and he dated Ann in season two before she moved on to Chris. At the end of season two, Mark gets a new job with a local construction firm and he is never heard from again.

April Ludgate: A nineteen-year old who is interning with the Parks and Recreation department as she attends college, April is fairy apathetic and sarcastic. Ends up marrying Andy in season three. She's also a hipster, as her favorite bands are Neutral Milk Hotel and bands who play German death reggae and Halloween recordings from the Fifties.

Ron Swanson: Leslie's supervisor. Arguably the second-most famous character of the show, Ron is famous for his huge love of bacon, eggs, and meat, and his serious personality. Has two ex-wives - who are both named Tammy - and he hates both of them.

Tom Haverford: Another friend of Leslie's working at the Parks and Recreation department, Tom is trying to become an entertainment mogul - nightclubs, fragrances, a clothing line, and maybe even a hip-hop career. There are a lot of jokes surrounding Tom having an American name and being from North Carolina when he is of Indian descent. In reality, Tom had an Indian name, but changed it to a more American name in order to get ahead in politics. A womanizer, Tom was briefly married to Wendy Haverford via citizenship marriage, because she was originally from Canada and needed a green card.

Ann Perkins: Leslie's friend who is a nurse. When her boyfriend, Andy, falls into a pit near their home, it inspires Leslie to build a park where the pit is, sparking the events of the series. At the end of season one, Ann breaks up with Andy and begins dating Mark. However, at the end of season two, she ends up breaking up with Mark and ends up with Chris.

Andy Dwyer: Ann's lazy ex- boyfriend. He fell into a pit and broke his legs in the first episode, setting the events of the show in motion. He may be lazy and more concerned with his band and his video games, but he's really a softie. Dated Ann before she left him, and then dated and married April. Personally, he's my favorite character since Chris Pratt plays him.

Donna Meagle: A secretary working for the Parks Department, Donna comes from a very wealthy family - Her cousin is the R&B star Ginuwine. Donna is fiercely protective of her Mercedes Benz, and she is best friends with Tom.

Ben Wyatt and Chris Trager: Two state auditors who came to Pawnee from Indianapolis at the end of season two. While Ben is the serious, yet geeky, workaholic (his favorite show is Game of Thrones), Chris is the always-positive health nut.

Jean-Ralphio and Mona-Lisa Saperstein: The children of a wealthy doctor, Jean-Ralphio and Mona-Lisa are probably the most annoying characters in the show, annoying the cast frequently. Tom is their best friend.

Larry - I mean, Jerry Gergich: A middle-aged man working in the Parks Department. Nobody likes Jerry, and they tease him frequently. However, as he has a wife, three kids, and has had a steady job for thirty years, some may consider Jerry lucky.

Parks and Recreation is still going strong, as the cast recently went to London for a special episode. Need to catch up on the series or get into it? It's on both Netflix and Hulu.

12/5/2013 . Edited 3/14/2014 #19
bye123456789

Irma's (Attempt at Making a) Primer for Doctor Who (part two)

background info

Irma's back with more primery goodness! (or badness, depending on your perspective). So, part one is post #20, and explains series one and two of New Who. I strongly recommend you reading that before reading this.

This primer will be focused on series three and four of New Who.

TREAD AT YOUR OWN RISK THIS IS NOT SPOILER FREE

series three

characters - main

Ten: Ah, Ten. Good old Ten. Sassy Ten. Brilliant Ten. Depressed old Ten. Last of the Time Lords Ten. Ugly crier Ten. God. (I mean, no, he is not God, but God the interjection to express Ten feels. Unless you count that Deus Ex Machina moment.)

Martha Jones: Ten's main companion. Although baddonkey, awesome, intelligent, and a Harry Potter fan, Martha often feels insecure and second-best around the Doctor, mainly because of Rose's ghost.

Jack Harkness: Everyone's favorite pansexual flirt is back! And immortal. The man that can never die, thanks to Rose and Bad Wolf.

The Master/Harold Saxon: The main villain. The Master is a crazy Time Lord (Long story.) Worse than the Daleks, I may even venture to say.

ships

DoctorMartha: Unrequited and canon on Martha's side. But the Doctor's oblivious and does not treat Martha very well at all. Angst. ;-;

DoctorMaster: bc slash! ......

JackEveryone: Again.

Mm, what a toughie. I actually really like Smith and Jones, Human Nature/Family of Blood, Blink, and, um, maybe Last of the Time Lords? Plotwise I thought that was a bit /eh/ but Martha's epic.

!------------spoiler alert--------------!

At the end of S3, a lot of ** happens but basically: The Master takes over Earth and for a year, life sucks. But Martha Jones becomes the Woman Who Walked the Earth and helps save the world. The Doctor becomes Deus Ex Machina and defeats the Master but opts not to kill him because they are the only two Time Lords left, but then Lucy Saxon kills the Master. The Master chooses not to regenerate because "I win." David Tennant cries and it is ugly and heartbreaking.

Also it turns out because of pardoxy stuff that year the Master took over Earth never happened, and none of humanity remembers what happens except for Martha, her family, Jack Harkness, and the Doctor.

Martha decides she's tired of being a replacement goldfish for Rose, as she has feelings for the Doctor but he never looks at her twice. She says this awesome "me getting out" speech and then leaves.

Oh yeah, also: Jack Harkness is the Face of Boe.

(OKAY I definitely did not explain that well but I'm sleeepy give me a break.)

series four

characters

Ten: Same Ten. Slightly less angsty though. Mainly because Donna snaps him out of it every time.

Donna Noble: Remember her from the Christmas Special, Runaway Bride? She's back as a longterm companion.

River Song: Only shows up for one episode arc, but is notable because she reappears in season 6.

Davros: Creator of the Daleks.

ships

DoctorDonna: Best. brOTP. Ever. Especially after that heartbreaking romantic Rose and Martha **, brOTPs rule.

Again, how difficult! I would say... Planet of the Ood, Midnight, Turn Left, The Stolen Earth/Journey's End. Especially the last three!

!---------------------spoiler alert----------------!

HEY YOU, YOU WANNA BE PUNCHED IN THE FACE?

THEN READ THIS SPOILER, GUARANTEES ONE PUNCH IN THE FACE. Okay not one, SEVERAL.

LISTEN BUB I DON'T CARE IF YOU'RE LIKE, "I DON'T CARE ABOUT ANYTHING." I USED TO THINK LIKE THAT TOO AND LET ME TELL YOU, READING DOCTOR WHO SPOILERS IS ONE OF THE THINGS I REGRET MOST IN LIFE. REASON WHY IT'S CALLED A SPOILER. kay that's it carry on

Davros is destroying reality with all these Daleks! Because reality is taking a blow, Rose is able to travel between the weakened walls separating the parallel universes. And the Doctor and Rose meadow run to each other all joyously when... a Dalek gets into the way. The Doctor is about to regenerate but puts the extra energy in his severed hand. (Long story.) Soon after, the Doctor, Martha, Jack, Mickey, Sarah Jane, Jackie, and Rose are trapped by the Davros and the TARDIS is thrown to die. But Donna, who is in it, touches the hand with the regeneration energy and out pops... a copy of the Doctor! Metacrisis!Ten. But he's half human, since he absorbed Donna's DNA.

Anyway, they fly the TARDIS back to Davros, but Davros zaps Metacrisis!Ten and Donna useless... Or so he thought. It turns out the DNA absorption thingy worked two ways, and the firing snapped the synapses in Donna's brain together, and Donna is Doctor Donna, the Most Important Woman in all of Creation, and defeats everybody.

Thus, everyone is happy and left behind... ish? Ten leaves Metacrisis!Ten and Rose in the parallel universe, and bittersweet OTP ** happens. But the tears aren't over yet. Donna can't keep her Time Lord brain because otherwise she'll burn up, so Ten wipes her mind (against her consent which annoys me but ;-;) and thus.

IT ENDS WITH TEN IN THE RAIN ALL SAD

12/22/2013 . Edited 12/24/2013 #20
Oxenstierna D. Yuki-Rin

Yuki-Rin's Abridged Fandom Primer for Homestuck

So, let me tell you about Homestuck. Homestuck is a very popular webcomic written by Andrew Hussie. It's about four friends who get copies of Sburb, a world-building game and play it together. However, the world-building game becomes real, and a lot of complicated things happen, including Nic Cage jokes, intermissions-within-intermissions, and the appearance of twelve personifications of internet trolls. Since the plot of Homestuck is very complex and confusing, I am just going to leave it the summary at that and move onto the important characters:

- John Egbert: Our main character, the events on Homestuck begin on John's birthday. He's a major dork, and he is a huge fan of Nic Cage movies, especially Con Air. His dad likes baking and harlequin clowns.

- Rose Lalonde: The brains of the four-man band, Rose is responsible for much of the setup of Sburb. She's also on the goth side, likes to knit, and has an alcoholic mother. And, let's not get into her relationship with an alien troll.

- Dave Strider: The obligatory hipster of the group, Dave is obsessed with irony, rap battles, and being cool. His older brother fights with him a lot, and he carries around a puppet named Lil' Cal.

- Jade Harley: The scientist/gardener of the group, Jade is on the quirky side - She likes a kids' T.V. show called "Squiddles", she has fits of narcolepsy, and her grandpa is dead and taxidermized, which means that her dog, Becquerel, (or, Bec) takes care of her.

- The Trolls: Consisting of Aradia Megido, Tavros Nitram, Sollux Captor, Karkat Vantas, Nepeta Leijon, Kanaya Maryam, Terezi Pyrope, Vriska Serket, Equius Zahaak, Gamzee Makara, Eridan Ampora, and Feferi Peixes, they're a group of alien Trolls with grey skin, yellow eyes, and orange horns, and they are the best characters in the comic. At first, everybody thought the Trolls were evil, since they were harassing John, Rose, Dave, and Jade, but when they got their own story arc, it turns out that they're also the heroes. This isn't even getting into the Trolls' planet and species, how Vriska blinded Terezi, killed Aradia, and crippled Tavros, and how mentally unstable Gamzee is.

- Andrew Hussie: The creator of the webcomic, Andrew Hussie also appears as a character in the comic.

Fandom Jokes:

- Andrew Hussie is known for killing everybody several times over (don't ask).

- Andrew Hussie is also known for proposing to Vriska.

- Buckets (I am not going to explain this one).

Unfortunately, Homestuck is almost over. It's on hiatus, because Andrew Hussie is writing out the finale as we speak. However, after a successful Kickstarter campaign in which people paid to have their Homestuck OCs appear for one panel and then die and where Hussie, in the comic, stole the Kickstarter money to buy a wedding ring so he could propose to Vriska again, we're getting a video game in the future.

12/22/2013 #21
team effort

zoey's primer for puella magi madoka magica

BLATANT SPOILERS FOR THE SHOW

BLATANT SPOILERS

BLATANT SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

TURN BACK NOW IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED

TURN AWAY

LEAVE

RUN

SPOILERS

NO ONE?

OKAY

SPOILERS THOUGH

BIG SCARY MEAN SPOILERS

so puella magi madoka is an anime/manga/game series that initially started in 2010-11 in japan, then came over to the united states. the plot of puella magi madoka basically revolves around the classic anime trope of "magical girls", young girls in middle-high school who obtain magical abilities through the use of a particular item/charm and usually feature elaborate transformation sequences culminating in the girls adopting their outfits and accessing their magical abilities.

in puella magi, a being named kyubey (a cat-like creature with red eyes, tassels sticking from its ears with gold rings hovering around their centers, a red gem on its back, a fluffy white tail, and a perpetual cat's smile) grants young girls one wish in exchange for them becoming magical girls and fighting against witches, evil monsters who prey on human beings and can negatively affect their emotions by placing a witch's kiss on them, then leading them into their lairs and devouring them. to protect themselves from magical girls, witches build complex labyrinths filled with their familiars, who attack any intruders. these labyrinths are known as barriers, and magical girls can perceive them due to their abilities.

when a girl becomes a magical girl, she is given a soul gem. this item is what allows the girl to become a magical girl, and can usually be transformed into an accessory like a ring for easier storage and tracking. soul gems are what allow magical girls to use their powers. battling with a witch and using magic causes their soul gems to become corrupted. this is why, when witches are defeated, they leave behind grief seeds. grief seeds can be used to purify the darkness a soul gem obtains after battle, leaving it pure and clean again. however, the existence of grief seeds leads to some competition between magical girls, with some of them turning upon each other to obtain a grief seed and cleanse their gem. magic is not the only thing that can taint a soul gem, however; the magical girl's own emotional state can lead to corruption in the form of negative emotions, like despair, anger, helplessness, etc.

when a soul gem is fully corrupted, the magical girl to which it belonged to becomes a witch. these witches are then fought by new magical girls, leading to a never-ending cycle of battle between the magical girls and the witches.

MAIN CHARACTERS:

-kaname madoka: the lead protagonist. has pink hair, is very innocent-looking, and is rather short. her best friends are hitomi and sayaka miki, the latter of which later becomes a magical girl. kyubey has said that kaname madoka has the strongest potential as a magical girl that it has ever seen.

-homura akemi: a girl with waist-length black hair, an elegant, calm disposition, and a general apathy towards her surroundings. she initially appears in madoka's life in the series as a mysterious transfer student. her soul gem is purple and her weapon is a shield strapped to her left arm which allows her to manipulate time. she also can summon a variety of heavy artillery weapons, including machine guns, cannons, missile launchers, grenades, etc.

-mami tomoe: one of the first magical girls madoka and sayaka meet (apart from homura), and the first they witness using her powers in battle. mami is blonde, busty, and extremely cheerful but refined. her soul gem is yellow with a flower motif featured in her transformation, and her primary weapons are summoned rifles, ribbons, and a massive gun for her finishing move, Tiro Finale.

-sayaka miki: one of madoka's best friends. she has blue hair and is a very tomboyish and outgoing person. she becomes a magical girl to save madoka from a witch, and uses her wish to heal the paralyzed arm of the violinist boy she loves. her soul gem is blue and her weapon of choice is a pair of cutlasses.

-sakura kyoko: a veteran magical girl with red hair and a fondness for food; she's usually seen snacking on something. has a very cynical attitude about being a magical girl, and resorts to bullying tactics in order to take grief seeds from her fellow magical girls, though she later becomes more sympathetic and ultimately redeems herself. her primary weapon of choice is a spear which can break apart into chains, and which can extend for great distances. she can summon more than one spear and can also project crisscrossing red barriers to shield herself or others from attack.

-kyubey: a cat-like alien who offers young girls a single wish for them to become magical girls. rarely shows expression beyond its smile and communicates telepathically.

SPOILERS

SPOILERS ABOVE

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS ABOVE

SPOILERS

S P O I L E R S

YOU SHALL BE SPOILED IF YOU CONTINUE UPWARDS

1/14/2014 . Edited 1/14/2014 #22
Oxenstierna D. Yuki-Rin

Yuki-Rin's Fandom Primer for The Decemberists

A band so imaginative, that they get their own primer. Anyway, The Decemberists are a indie/folk band from Portland, Oregon. Members are Colin Meloy, Jenny Conlee, Chris Funk, Nate Query, John Moen. They formed around 2002, so they've been around for a while. The band was on hiatus because Colin Meloy had to do stuff for the Wildwood trilogy (which he wrote) and his solo tour, and Jenny Conlee, Chris Funk, and Nate Query were doing stuff for the other band they're in, Black Prairie. They're back off of hiatus, and they're going to start doing concerts and recording again. They're even going to guest star on an upcoming episode of Parks and Recreation.

Albums: The King is Dead, Castaways and Cutouts, Picaresque, The Crane Wife, and The Hazards of Love

Notable Songs: The Crane Wife pts. 1, 2, and 3, The Culling of the Fold, Rox in the Box, 16 Military Wives, The Mariner's Revenge Song, and Rise to Me

Fandom Jokes:

- Colin Meloy lying down on the ground during concerts

- Colin Meloy reading excerpts from books during concerts

- Anything having to do with The Hazards of Love and its characters

- Jenny Conlee's appearance on Portlandia where she played Sparkle Pony. Colin Meloy appeared in the same episode as a member of a hipster band trying to get a room at a hotel.

- The fact that there are many crimes committed in their songs, ranging from theft to murder. Somebody even counted how many crimes happen in the songs.

- Lastly, Colin Meloy being a total dork.

Also, these are the same guys who did the song One Engine on the Hunger Games soundtrack. So, if you ever need a reason to listen to the Decemberists, go find the soundtrack to The Hunger Games, listen to One Engine, and contemplate on how Colin Meloy made the perfect song to go with The Hunger Games.

1/14/2014 . Edited 3/9/2014 #23
octocelot

Zero's Primer for My Mental Choices Are Completely Interfering with My School Romantic Comedy (or Ore no Nōnai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Rabu Kome o Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru) abbreviated sometimes as Noucome or Nōkome)

Not spoiler free

A comedy anime. Almost to the point of parody.

Characters

Kanade Amakusa - he's suffering from this ailment called Absolute Choice. At random times, he will be confronted by some hallucinatory multiple choice questions, and he must choose one action to do, or he'll suffer an extreme migraine. Usually, the Absolute Choice drives him to do dumb things (like take off his shirt and pretend to be a warrior, and then make pig noises on a desk), and it really ruins his social life.

But then, he gets a phone call from God (a really trippy god that isn't much help at all), and is told that if he completes "missions," he can get rid of Absolute Choice. However, if he fails even one mission, he'll be stuck with Absolute Choice for the rest of his life.

Chocolat - at one point, Kanade chooses for a girl to fall from the sky. Chocolat is that girl. She was sent from God to help Kanade, but she isn't much help at all. She's somewhat dumb and is no help at all (all she does is eat everything. Kanade compares her to a dog, especially since her hair wags back and forth when she's happy), but this is revealed later when she hits her head. She gets back all of her former memories. This Chocolat is less like a dog and more serious. Kanade appreciates the helpfulness of this counterpart but feels really uncomfortable. She offers only a little help before she hits her head again and reverts back to her airhead state.

Furano Yukihira - she's a tsundere character. She likes Kanade, but she insults him daily ("maggot"). However, Kanade considers her his friend. She secretly loves cute things (very hushush), especially a character called White Pig, so when Kanade dresses up as White Pig and sorta goes on a date with her in costume, he sees a side to her that he hasn't seen before.

Oka Yuoji - the daughter of the president of some company and keeps advertising the products to the student body. Pretty smart, but strange.

Yuragi Hakoniwa - Kanade's childhood friend that calls everybody her older brother/older sister.

God - nicknamed "Flippant God" by Kanade, he doesn't really help Kanade very much and makes fun of him for having Absolute Choice.

Utage – She's a teacher that had Absolute Choice in the past but overcame it by completing the missions. She is the only person that Kanade can confide with about Absolute Choice. She's more help than Chocolat, but she can't tell him how she ended the curse or she gets headaches as well. She helps cover for Kanade when he does something embarrassing.

The Reject Five

• a group of kids that are branded the Reject Five. Even though they're physically pleasing, their personality throws people off. Consists of: Kanade, Furano, Oka, two other people i can't remember

The Popular Five

• the popular kids basically

there's one girl that is Student Counsel prsident and seems to know about the God World but uses her knowledge to taunt Kanade.

there's one girl that is shy aruond boys, which results in boys wanting to protect her, which results in kanade getting beat up a lot

there's one girl with huge breasts (that kanade learns are fake due to something from Absolute Choice) who argues with Yukihira a lot.

In the anime, it kind of becomes a many-girls-circling-kanade-which-one-will-he-choose between Yukihira, Yuoji, Chocolat.

if this primer makes the anime seem over-the-top, that's because it is very over-the-top.

7/20/2014 . Edited 7/20/2014 #24
Oxenstierna D. Yuki-Rin

Yuki-Rin's Fandom Primer to the Films of Wes Anderson

Wes Anderson is a talented film director known for his use of symmetry, classic rock, and vintage, almost dollhouse-like, aesthetics. A lot of hipsters like his films because of those things. Wes Anderson has been making films since the 1990's, and almost all of them have had some type of critical acclaim to them.

Actors That Always Appear in His Films: Luke and Owen Wilson, Bill Murrary, Anjelica Houston, and Jason Schwartzman. They have all made appearances in each one of his films.

The films:

- Bottle Rocket (1996) - Wes Anderson's first film, it tells the story of three men who go on a crime spree after one of their own is released from jail. The Days Inn hotel in Texas where the characters stayed at during the movie has gotten some notice from Wes Anderson fans.

- Rushmore (1998) - Wes Anderson's breakout film, it tells the story of Max Fisher, a brilliant boy attending Rushmore Academy, a prep school in Texas. Despite being in a prestitious school, Max chooses to focus on his extracurriculars over his classes. After meeting and falling in love with a kindergarten teacher who works at his school, Max is expelled from Rushmore Academy and plots revenge.

- The Royal Tenenbaums (2001) - When the father of a wealthy, talented family is dying, his three children must come together and set aside all differences - Margot is the talented playwright of the family (and adopted), Chas is an accountant with two, twin kids, and Richie is a sea captain who went to sea because of Margot. As they set aside all differences, the family comes together once again.

- The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou (2004) - After a shark attack kills his friend, oceanographer Steve Zissou assembles a crew of interns from a college in Alaska, his staff, his wife, and his (possible) son from Kentucky to document his voyage to find the shark that killed his friend. This movie is known for the best line in film history ever (in my opinion) - "Don't point that gun at him. He's an unpaid intern."

- The Darjeeling Limited (2007) - After the death of their father, three, estranged brothers go on a train trip through India in an attempt to re-connect with each other. This film also has a short prequel, Hotel Chevalier, which is on Youtube if you want to see it.

- Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009) - Wes Anderson's only animated piece so far, this movie follows a fox and a group of his friends as they raid the farms of three, evil farmers - Boggis, Bunce, and Bean. As far as I know, this is also the only Wes Anderson film so far that's family-friendly.

- Moonrise Kingdom (2012) - In 1965 in New England, Sam and Suzy, two twelve-year olds who are in love, run away to a deserted island together, prompting a massive search involving boy scouts, Suzy's family, and social services.

- The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) - Wes Anderson's most recent (and highly recommended) film, The Grand Budapest Hotel follows a hotel lobby boy, Zero, who works at the Grand Budapest Hotel in a fictional, European country in-between the World Wars. It quickly turns into a fast-paced, epic tale involving murder, art thieves, a jail break, and spies, culminating in a large shoot-out in the vast, hotel lobby.

As you can see, a new Wes Anderson film comes out every two years (three years if the movie is longer). Also, Wes Anderson had no hand in the Mel's Mini-Mini Mart commercial for Oreo cookies.

7/20/2014 #25
Gamemakers

Iris's guide to Star Wars

What it is:

Star Wars is a space epic set "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away." It tells the story of the fall of a man into evil and his redemption by his son. Though set in a sci-fi universe, Star Wars embodies archetypal hero's journey. It contains strong mythical elements and the original trilogy of films is often considered to be more philosophically than action-driven. Star Wars contains elements of adventure, romance, and spirituality.

There are six Star Wars movies, with five new films slated for release in the next ten years. The six existing films are divided into three trilogies: the original trilogy (A New Hope, The Emperor Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi) were released in the late seventies and early eighties, while the prequel trilogy (The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith) came out between 1999 and 2005. The general consensus seems to be that the original trilogies are better than the prequels, though some fans' opinions differ. If a viewer wishes to watch the stories in chronological order, they should be viewed I-VI, but they were released as IV, V, VI, I, II, III. In my opinion, the best way for first-time watchers to view this series is IV, V, I, II, III, VI. In December 2015, a new film, Episode VII: The Force Awakens, was released.

There are also a variety of TV shows, books, comics, and games that occur within the Star Wars universe. Collectively, these are known as the Expanded Universe. In general, the Expanded Universe is not seen as canon material, though it is largely accepted unless it conflicts with the films or another EU source. As of mid-2015, none of the Expanded Universe with the exception of a couple TV shows is considered canon, but mentions to it are still often found in Star Wars fic.

Spoilers ahead!

Basic Summary:

The prequel trilogy focuses on Anakin Skywalker, a boy with exceptional gifts born into slavery. At a young age, he wins his freedom and is trained to become a Jedi, a group of warrior monks that study and utilize a life energy called the Force. The Jedi require strict adherence to their rules, which include forming no attachments, but Anakin falls in love with and secretly marries Padme Amidala, an outspoken proponent for peace in the galaxy's ruling body. Behind the scenes, a ruthless politician and Sith Lord, an enemy of the Jedi that uses the Force for evil, has maneuvered the galaxy into civil war to gain power for himself. Preying on Anakin's desire to keep his wife safe, the Sith manipulates him into joining the dark side, murdering nearly all the Jedi and becoming Darth Vader.

The original trilogy occurs twenty years after the prequels. These movies follow Luke Skywalker, Anakin's son, on his journey from naive farmboy to Jedi Master. Luke is ripped from his average life when he happens upon a recording of a woman pleading for help on a robot he has purchased. With the help of his father's former master, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Luke travels across the galaxy to rescue the woman, learning to use the Force and destroying a super weapon capable of destroying entire planets on the way. After he loses his master to the machine man Darth Vader, Luke is shocked to realize that Vader is his father. He redeems Anakin, bringing his father back to the light side, and Anakin kills the Sith Lord, who is both the emperor and his former master.

The Players:

In each trilogy, there is a 'big three' of characters. In the prequels, they are Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Padme Amidala. In the Original Trilogy, Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia Organa, and Han Solo take this role. Judging by The Force Awakens only, it appears that Rey, Finn, and Poe Dameron are the big three in the sequels, though this may change in later films.

Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader - The central character of the six films. Born a slave on Tatooine, Anakin Skywalker wins his freedom at the age of nine and leaves his homeworld to become a Jedi Knight. However, he cannot let go of the hate and anger left over from his time as a slave, and when that is combined with his forbidden love for Padme Amidala, he doesn't make a very good Jedi. He is eventually seduced to the dark side of the Force by Palpatine, becoming Darth Vader. After a devastating defeat in lightsaber combat, he must wear a life-support suit. Vader serves Palpatine's Empire for years, killing his former master and keeping the galaxy under strict control. However, Anakin Skywalker is redeemed by his son, Luke, and dies a Jedi Knight.

Obi-Wan Kenobi - Anakin, and later Luke's, master. Obi-Wan is originally wary of young Anakin, but eventually they become friends as well as master and apprentice. He practically raises Anakin. When his apprentice turns to the dark side, Obi-Wan attempts to stop him. They fight, and Obi-Wan leaves Anakin for dead to save Anakin's pregnant wife. However, the woman dies, leaving Obi-Wan with two infants. He brings Luke with him to Tatooine and gives him to Anakin's family to raise, watching the young boy's progress and waiting for the day that Luke and his sister will bring back the Jedi. Years later, he becomes Luke's master and takes him offworld, but he is quickly killed by Vader. Even after his death, Ben (as he is known in the Original Trilogy) continues to mentor Luke in the form of a ghost.

Padme Amidala - Anakin's love interest, mainly. She's a queen, a senator, and all-around good person. Unfortunately, that's really all you need to know.

Luke Skywalker - The hero of the Original Trilogy. A Tatooine farmboy jarred out of his boring life when his adoptive parents are murdered by the Empire, Luke travels with Obi-Wan to the Death Star, a battle station powerful enough to destroy entire planets. There, he befriends a scoundrel, arrests a walking carpet, and rescues a princess. He becomes the hero of the rebellion against the Empire (henceforth the Rebellion) after he practically singlehandedly destroys the Death Star. He goes on to train as a Jedi, and eventually, he brings Darth Vader back from the dark side with the power of love (you think I'm kidding, but no).

Princess Leia Organa - A totally badass warrior princess. She's the same age as Luke, but was busy being a key member of the Rebel Alliance while Luke was playing with action figures. She's caught by Darth Vader, tortured, and watches her planet be blown up before Luke and Han rescue her. Eventually, she gets together with Han and continues to be a badass.

Han Solo - He wants to be a cool guy loner, but really he's a sweetheart smuggler with a heart of gold. Luke and Obi-Wan hire him to take them to rescue Leia on his ship, the Millennium Falcon, and from that moment forward he's sucked into their adventures. Good with a blaster or a snarky remark anytime, and basically the coolest guy in the universe. Also, young Harrison Ford made nice eye candy, but that's neither here nor there.

Rey - A Force-sensitive human woman who's lived all her life alone on a desert planet as a scavenger. She's wicked good with anything mechanical and though completely untrained, is very intuitively strong with the Force.

Finn - A stormtrooper who becomes a traitor to the First Order (what's left over of the Empire) after being told to fire on innocent villagers.

Poe - A Resistance (new Rebellion) pilot.

Kylo Ren - The (for now) big bad of the sequel trilogy. Han and Leia's son, he fell to the dark side and now works as a Vader-like figure in the First Order. He murders his father and is bested by Rey in a lightsaber duel, but he lives by chance alone.

The Ships:

Ship names aren't really a thing in this fandom, but if there are ones, I've listed them in parentheses afterwards.

Han/Leia - A princess and a guy like him? Yeah, they're canon, and they're definitely the most popular ship for the original trilogy and probably for the fandom.

Han/Luke (Skysolo) - This got pretty popular after the Episode VII came out.

Obi-Wan/Anakin - The competition for most popular ship in-fandom. They're master and apprentice (like teacher-student, parent-child, and siblings all rolled up in one) and it's strange.

Anakin/Padme (Anidala) - The canon ship from the prequel trilogy.

Finn/Poe (Stormpilot) - For reasons I don't quite understand, it's really, really popular right now.

Kylo Ren/General Hux (Kylux) - They're evil space Nazis, and one of them is a Weasley child. And it works. I'm not 100% why, though.

Finn/Rey - Episode VII definitely set up these two for the trilogy. Whether that happens or not isn't up to me.

7/22/2014 . Edited 8/22/2017 #26
bronc

Brooke's Fandom Primer to A Series of Unfortunate Events

What is this series with a long title?

Well, it's by Lemony Snicket, (this name will become an integral part of the story in the second half of the saga) someone who's incredibly twisted and has a very strange writing style. It's in the third person, and the first few pages always tell you that you will be saddened if you pick up this book.

There are thirteen books (yes.) with thirteen chapters each, about the tragic story of the Baudelaires. It's a children's book, it really is. I picked it up in second grade (the entire saga was a gift from my aunt) and I was unable to see past the sarcastic writing style and the laughable tragedies to understand that, no, this is not a children's book. It is so complex and twisted and cruel and - well, there are no words to describe what the final books will do to you.

It is recommended to read the series in the order they were released in . . .1-13. Of course, if you've read the Bad Beginning, any of the other first five books do not tie back to anything other than the first book, so you can jump around there if you wish, in no order whatsoever. . .but you will want to read 6-13 IN ORDER.

The book titles all have alliteration. It is merely a cute sidetracker of the cruelty of this all. (I can't get past that) Another sidetracker? These books are HILARIOUS. It's almost slapstick, but it's the subtle little things. Hilarious. But Lemony Snicket is still evil.

In order, the books are:

A Bad Beginning

The Reptile Room

The Wide Window

The Miserable Mill

The Austere Academy

The Ersatz Elevator

The Vile Village

The Hostile Hospital

The Carnivorous Carnival

The Slippery Slope

The Grim Grotto

The Penultimate Peril

The End

Who are the characters?

Well, there's Violet, the oldest Baudelaire. She is fourteen (she turns fifteen in The Grim Grotto), and she is the inventor. She loves to invent things and poke around with gadgets. She's smart and mature and she is an incredibly strong, well thought-out female character.

Klaus is next in line. He is twelve (thirteen in one of the final four books), and he is the researcher. He remembers things and takes notes. He is also called the dictionary at times. He keeps a notebook of everything he encounters.

Sunny is the youngest, at two (three in the Slippery Slope), and she is the biter. With sharp teeth, she bites everything. She has four teeth in canon, and they are like chisels. This seems useless but it gets them out of so many perils.

The main antagonist, Count Olaf, is a count. But also an actor in his own acting trope. He is the 'closest' relative of the Baudelaires and becomes their caretaker in the second chapter of the Bad Beginning after the plot twists ensue (if you want spoilers, they are all in their own post. . .all thirteen books). He is cruel and murderous and part of an organization called the VFD. He's old, but very fit - probably around fifty.

The VFD is an acronym (which is revealed in the Slippery Slope. . .I highly suggest reading that before the spoiler post. Actually, just read the whole series - it's so good) that haunts the Baudelaire children throughout much of the saga. Even in the final few books, it is almost unknown whether or not VFD is good. It is seen everywhere: the subtle little things. Like Bad Wolf in Doctor Who, it doesn't seem to have much significance. But it is everything; the backbone of the plot. It is an organization, and until the spoiler post, that is all I can say.

Is there a fandom?

It's a very loose fandom, indeed, but there are about a thousand ASOUE stories on FFn. The main pairings are:

Duncan/Violet - Introduced in Austere Academy, more of a friendship - romance is uncanon in this series.

Isadora/Klaus - Isadora is Duncan's triplet, and again - it's a friendship, but a very very cute one, indeed.

Now, this fandom is perhaps even darker than HP, for one pairing should not exist, but it does, and it is on this site.

The Olaf/Violet ship. For the sake of your innocence (even if you don't have much, there will be none left if you venture into the dark world of Violaf), do not actively seek this out.

So, I heard there's a movie. . .?

There is. Don't watch it. It's rubbish and everything's wrong and it's the first three books wrapped up into one and there's no more and it had me screaming by the end of it because everything was wrong and it was awful and it lost its charm and everyone looked goth. They got some things right and then they just started making up scotch tape patches to fill the plot holes.

You can watch it if you want, but it isn't a very good movie at all (especially for such a fantastic series).

I was going to put a spoiler at the bottom of this post, but it's about five in the morning and there's so much of it that it really does need its own post.

12/29/2014 #27
red for revolution

Red's Primer for Les Misérables and Les Miserables

(As in the first one is the musical and the second one's the book. They have different parts and different bits, but obviously pretty much the same storyline. The stage one was only changed so it would actually, you know, work on stage.)

The book is by Victor Hugo, and the musical is the longest running musical in London's West End (almost 30 years) and was written by Claude-Michel Schonberg and Alain Boublil.

So, what's the story?

Long and extremely complicated is the answer. Here goes.

Musical verse: Important - I just copied this from the musical website because my version was getting far too long and convoluted.

PROLOGUE: 1815, DIGNE After 19 years on the chain gang, Jean Valjean finds that the ticket-of-leave he must display condemns him to be an outcast. Only the Bishop of Digne treats him kindly and Valjean, embittered by years of hardship, repays him by stealing some silver. Valjean is caught and brought back by the police and is astonished when the Bishop lies to the police to save him. Valjean decides to start his life anew.

1823, MONTREUIL-SUR-MER Eight years have passed and Valjean, having broken his parole and changed his name to Monsieur Madeleine, has become a factory owner and Mayor. One of his workers, Fantine, has a secret illegitimate child. When the other women discover this, they demand her dismissal.

Desperate for money to pay for medicines for her daughter, Fantine sells her locket, her hair, and then joins the whores in selling herself. Utterly degraded, she gets into a fight with a prospective customer and is about to be taken to prison by Javert when 'The Mayor' arrives and demands she be taken to hospital instead.

The Mayor then rescues a man pinned beneath a cart. Javert is reminded of the abnormal strength of convict 24601 Jean Valjean, who, he says, has just been recaptured. Valjean, unable to see an innocent man go to prison, confesses that he is prisoner 24601.

At the hospital, Valjean promises the dying Fantine to find and look after her daughter Cosette. Javert arrives to arrest him, but Valjean escapes.

1823, MONTFERMEIL, Cosette has been lodged with the Thénardiers, who horribly abuse her while indulging their own daughter, Eponine. Valjean pays the Thénardiers to let him take her away to Paris.

1832, PARIS Nine years later, there is unrest in the city because of the likely demise of the popular leader General Lamarque, the only man left in the government who shows any feeling for the poor. A street-gang led by Thénardier and his wife sets upon Jean Valjean and Cosette. They are rescued by Javert, who does not recognise Valjean until he has gone.

The Thénardiers' daughter Eponine, who is secretly in love with the student Marius, reluctantly agrees to help him find Cosette, with whom he has fallen in love.

News of General Lamarque's death circulates in the city and a group of politically-minded students (Les Amis De L'ABC, led by the student Enjolras) stream out into the streets to whip up support for a revolution.

Cosette is consumed by thoughts of Marius, with whom she has fallen in love. Eponine brings Marius to Cosette and then prevents an attempt by her father's gang to rob Valjean's house. Valjean, convinced it was Javert lurking outside his house, tells Cosette they must prepare to flee the country.

ACT TWO

The students prepare to build the barricade. Marius, noticing that Eponine has joined the insurrection, sends her away with a letter to Cosette, which is intercepted by Valjean. Eponine decides to rejoin her love at the barricade.

The barricade is built and the revolutionaries defy an army warning to give up or die. Javert is exposed as a police spy by the little street urchin Gavroche. In trying to return to the barricade, Eponine is killed.

Valjean arrives at the barricade in search of Marius. He is given the chance to kill Javert but instead lets him go. The students settle down for a night on the barricade and, in the quiet of the night, Valjean prays to God to save Marius. The next day the rebels are all killed.

Valjean escapes into the sewers with the unconscious Marius. After meeting Thénardier, who is robbing the corpses of the rebels, he comes across Javert once more. He pleads for time to deliver the young man to hospital. Javert lets Valjean go and, his unbending principles of justice having been shattered by Valjean's own mercy, he kills himself.

Unaware of the identity of his rescuer, Marius recovers in Cosette's care. Valjean confesses the truth of his past to Marius and insists he must go away.

At Marius and Cosette's wedding, the Thénardiers try to blackmail Marius. Thénardier says Cosette's 'father' is a murderer and as proof produces a ring which he stole from the corpse the night the barricade fell. It is Marius's own ring and he realises it was Valjean who rescued him that night. He and Cosette go to Valjean where Cosette learns for the first time of her own history before the old man dies.

ii. ships.

These are the most common, I think. If I've missed anything, feel free to edit. There are also about a billion minor ships because there are about a billion minor characters.

• Valjean/Javert - quite common, I believe.
  • Valjean/Fantine
  • Cosette/Marius - the canon ship of all canon ships. In the musical, it's love at first sight, in the book, Marius stalks (for want of a better word) Cosette for about six months, loses her, and then uses Éponine to find out where she's gone.
  • Éponine/Marius
  • Éponine/Enjolras - is a pretty big one, though completely not canon. The street urchin and the bourgeois student revolutionary - though it doesn't really work in book!verse.
  • Any number of slashy pairings between Les Amis De L'ABC. There are too many to name them all, though one of the most popular is Enjolras/ Grantaire (or E/R) because Hugo says that the only thing Grantaire (a drunkard and cynic sort of latched on to Les Amis) believe in is Enjolras.

iii. trivia

• The book is affectionately known as The Brick, because in it's original French it is 1900 pages long. It also contains large sections of absolutely no relevance to the plot line such as the ones about The Battle of Waterloo and the history of the Parisian sewers.
  • The book has been made into a film over 50 times in 1897.

That's pretty much it, I suppose, for now.

12/30/2014 #28
red for revolution

Red's Primer for Miss Saigon

I'm afraid it's another musical that I've gotten myself madly obsessed with, by Boublil and Schonberg, the same as Les Mis. It originally opened in 1989, ran for 10 years, closed, and has just re-opened on the West End.

I. Synopsis - Stolen from Wikipedia and then tweaked because it's pretty long and convoluted.

Act 1

In April 1975 at "Dreamland," a Saigon bar and brothel, shortly before the end of the Vietnam War, it is Kim's first day as a bargirl. The seventeen-year-old peasant girl is hauled in by the Engineer, a French-Vietnamese hustler who owns the joint. Backstage, the girls ready themselves for the night's show, jeering at Kim's inexperience ("Overture/ Backstage Dreamland"). The U.S. Marines, aware that they will be leaving Vietnam soon, party with the Vietnamese prostitutes ("The Heat Is On"). Chris Scott, a sergeant disenchanted by the club scene, is encouraged by his friend John Thomas to go with a girl. The girls compete for the title of "Miss Saigon," and the winner is raffled to a Marine. Kim's guilelessness strikes Chris. Gigi Van Tranh wins the crown for the evening and begs the marine who won the raffle to take her back to America, annoying him. The showgirls reflect on their dreams of a better life ("Movie in My Mind"). John buys a room for Chris and the virgin Kim ("The Transaction"). Kim is reluctant and shy, but dances with Chris. Chris tries to pay her to leave the nightclub. When the Engineer interferes, thinking that Chris does not like Kim, Chris allows himself to be led to her room ("The Dance").

Chris, watching Kim sleep, asks God why he met her just as he was about to leave Vietnam ("Why, God, Why?"). When Kim wakes up, Chris tries to give her money, but she refuses, saying that it is her first time sleeping with a man ("This Money's Yours"). Touched to learn that Kim is an orphan, Chris offers her to come and live with him. The two fall in love ("Sun and Moon"). Chris tells John that he is taking leave to spend time with Kim. John warns him that the Viet Cong will soon take Saigon, but then reluctantly agrees to cover for Chris ("Asking For Leave"). Chris meets with the Engineer to trade for Kim, but the Engineer tries to include an America visa in the deal. Chris forces the Engineer at gunpoint to honour the original arrangement for Kim ("The Deal").

The bargirls hold a "wedding ceremony" for Chris and Kim ("The Wedding Ceremony"), with Gigi toasting Kim as the "real" Miss Saigon. Thuy, Kim's cousin, to whom she was betrothed at thirteen, arrives to take her home. He has since become an officer in the North Vietnamese Army and is disgusted to find her with a white man ("Thuy's Intervention"). The two men confront each other, drawing their guns. Kim tells Thuy that their arranged marriage is now nullified because her parents are dead, and she no longer harbours any feelings for him because of his betrayal. Thuy curses them all and storms out. Chris promises to take Kim with him when he leaves Vietnam. Chris and Kim dance to the same song as on their first night ("Last Night of The World").

Three years later in 1978, a street parade is taking place in Saigon (since renamed Ho Chi Minh City) to celebrate the third anniversary of the reunification of Vietnam and the defeat of the Americans ("Morning of The Dragon"). Thuy, a commissar in the new Communist government, has ordered his soldiers to look for the still-corrupt Engineer. Thuy orders the Engineer to find Kim and bring her to him. Kim is still in love with Chris and has been hiding in an impoverished area, steadfastly believing Chris will return to Vietnam and rescue her. Meanwhile, Chris is in bed with his new American wife, Ellen, when he wakes from a dream shouting Kim's name. Ellen and Kim both swear their devotion to Chris from opposite ends of the world ("I Still Believe").

A week later, Thuy's soldiers find the Engineer somewhere up north. For the Communist Party, he goes under the name of "Trahn Van Dinh" and has spent the past three years working in the rice fields. The Engineer takes Thuy to where Kim has been hiding ("Coo-Coo Princess"). Kim refuses Thuy's renewed offer of marriage, unaware that his men are waiting outside the door. Furious, Thuy calls them in and they begin tying up Kim and the Engineer, threatening to put them into a re-education camp. Kim introduces him to Tam, her three-year-old son from Chris. Thuy calls Kim a traitor and Tam an enemy, and tries to kill Tam with a knife, but Kim pulls out a gun and kills Thuy ("You Will Not Touch Him"). She flees with Tam and tells the Engineer what she has done ("If You Want to Die in Bed"). The Engineer refuses to help her until he learns that Tam's father is American ("Kim & Engineer") – thinking the boy is his chance to emigrate to the United States. He tells Kim that now he is the boy's uncle, and he will lead them to Bankok. The three set out on a ship with other refugees. ("I'd Give My Life for You").

Act 2

In Atlanta, Georgia, John now works for an aid organisation whose mission is to connect Bui-Doi (from Vietnamese trẻ bụi đời "street children," meaning children conceived during the war) with their American fathers ("Bui Doi"). John tells Chris that Kim is still alive, which Chris is relieved to hear after years of having nightmares of her dying. He also tells Chris about Tam and urges Chris to go to Bangkok with Ellen. Chris finally tells Ellen about Kim and Tam ("The Revelation"). In Bangkok, the Engineer is hawking a sleazy club where Kim works as a dancer ("What A Waste"). Chris, Ellen, and John arrive in search of Kim. John finds Kim dancing at the club, and tells her that Chris is also in Bangkok. He then tries to tell her that Chris is remarried, but Kim interrupts. She is thrilled about the news and tells Tam that his father has arrived, believing that they are to go to America with Chris. Seeing Kim happy, John cannot bring himself to break the news to her, but promises to bring Chris to her ("Too Much for One Heart").

The Engineer tells Kim to find Chris herself, because he doubts that Chris will come. Kim is haunted by the ghost of Thuy, who taunts Kim, claiming that Chris will betray her as he did the night Saigon fell. Kim suffers a horrible flashback to that night ("Kim's Nightmare").

In the nightmare/flashback, Kim remembers the Viet Cong approaching Saigon. As the city becomes increasingly chaotic, Chris is called to the embassy and leaves his gun with Kim, telling her to pack. When Chris enters the embassy, the gates close, as orders arrive from Washington for an immediate evacuation of the remaining Americans. The Ambassador orders that no more Vietnamese be allowed into the Embassy. Kim reaches the gates of the Embassy, one of a mob of terrified Vietnamese trying to enter. Chris calls to Kim and is about to go into the crowd to look for her, but John is eventually forced to punch Chris in the face to stop him from leaving. Chris is put into the last helicopter leaving Saigon as Kim watches from outside, still pledging her love to him.

Back in 1978 Bangkok, Kim joyfully dresses in her wedding clothes ("Sun and Moon [Reprise]") and leaves the Engineer to watch Tam while she is gone. She goes to Chris's hotel room, where she finds Ellen. Kim mistakenly thinks that Ellen is John's wife, but Ellen reveals that she is Chris's wife. Kim is heartbroken and refuses to believe Ellen. Ellen asks Kim if Chris is the father of Tam, and Kim confirms. Kim says that she does not want her son to continue living on the streets and pleads that they take Tam with them back to America, but Ellen refuses, saying that Tam needs his real mother, and Ellen wants her own children with Chris. Kim angrily demands that Chris tell her these things in person, and runs out of the room ("Room 317"). Ellen feels bad for Kim, but is determined to keep Chris ("Maybe"). Chris and John return, having failed to find Kim. Ellen tells them both that Kim arrived and that she had to tell Kim everything. Chris and John blame themselves, realising that they were gone too long. Ellen also tells them that Kim wants to see Chris at her place, and that she tried to give away her son to them. John realises that Kim wants Tam to be "an American boy." Ellen then issues an ultimatum to Chris: Kim or she. Chris reassures Ellen, and they pledge their love for each other. Chris will leave Tam and Kim in Bangkok but offer them monetary support from America. John warns that Kim will not find it acceptable to have Tam stay in Thailand ("The Confrontation"). Back at the club, Kim lies to the Engineer that they are still going to America ("Paper Dragons"). The Engineer imagines the extravagant new life that he will lead in America ("The American Dream"). Chris, John, and Ellen find the Engineer and he takes them to see Kim and Tam.

In her room, Kim tells Tam that he should be happy because he now has a father. She tells him that she cannot go with him but will be watching over him ("Little God of My Heart"). Chris, Ellen, John, and the Engineer arrive just outside her room. The Engineer comes in to take Tam outside to introduce Tam to his father. While this is happening, Kim steps behind a curtain and shoots herself. As she falls to the floor, everyone rushes into the room at the sound of the gunshot and find Kim mortally wounded. Chris picks up Kim and asks what she has done. She asks him to hold her once more and repeats something that he said to her on the first night they met: "How in one night have we come so far?" and dies in his arms ("Finale").

ii. Pairings

Chris/Kim

Chris/Ellen

That's pretty much it, really.

1/11/2015 #29
Thargelion

Shady's Primer for The Stormlight Archive

Actually, The Stormlight Archive if you leave out everything important. This is only supposed to cover details needed to know for a fic of mine concerning a few characters.

The Stormlight Archive is a high fantasy series. Very original and very good in my opinion. Also very complex.

Characters you need to know:

King Gavilar- friend of Torol Sadeas and Dalinar Kholin, is murdered in the prologue so it's not really a spoiler. Sadeas acts as a decoy to draw an assassin away from the king (and he fails) and Kholin is drunk during the whole ordeal, king

Dalinar Kholin- former friend of Torol Sadeas and King Gavilar, nobleman, used to have a bit of a drinking problem, has gotten over it by the time The Stormlight Archive takes place (in my fic he has gotten over it, but it's not set during The Stormlight Archive).

Torol Sadeas- the most hated character in the fandom for spoilery reasons and coincidentally my favorite character, drinks a lot*, good friends with Gavilar and Dalinar until Gavilar dies and he and Dalinar aren't exactly friendly anymore, nobleman

Odd fandom things you need to know

Highprinces- 'Highprince' is a title used in Stormlight Archive

Weird Swears- AKA 'Damnation', 'storming' (that one's pretty much used in place of 'fucking'), and 'Stormfather'

First Name, Last Name- After King Gavilar's death, Dalinar Kholin and Torol Sadeas aren't on friendly terms anymore, which is showed by their uses of last names over first names (it's not exactly stated in canon that they used to be on first-name terms, however)

* That One Asterisk Up There. Go Ahead, Look For It. I Will Bold it So As To Make This Easier.

In book canon, Sadeas's excessive drinking isn't presented as a problem, but in my canon, he has a drinking problem, which is gone for a while with the help of Gavilar. After Gavilar's death, he begins drinking again.

7/17/2015 . Edited 7/17/2015 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Caesar's Palace octocelot, turtledoves, Estoma, compartmental
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member