The Hallow Hill Lodge
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
ShearViscosity

Welcome fellow Hollow Kingdom lovers to the Hallow Hill Lodge! JayLah and I started it as a way to increase activity on the forums. Some of the different things we hope to do include writing challenges, ficship competitions, plot adoptions, discussions, etc... But first we need input about what people are interested in doing. If you're interested in any of the above, respond to this thread or start a new one. If you have other ideas of things to do, let us know too. Even if you're not much of a writer, you can still contribute. So here's to a successful forum!

7/9/2011 . Edited 7/11/2011 #1
Snowberryxoxo

I'm so glad that this forum was made and I think it would be a great place to do writing challenges, discussions, etc. and if some need help with their writing skills, then it could be a place where you could ask for advices too :D

7/9/2011 #2
cherryheart108

This is a really good idea, trying to write FanFics of this trilogy I get lost on ideas so this could help generate them!!!!!

7/9/2011 #3
Saphira.Flametongue

I'd love participating to this forum! I've always wanted to write a fanfic on the trilogy, but somehow, my ideas always get intercepted before they come into my conscious mind D: This is a really great idea! (:

7/9/2011 #4
speederina

This sounds great! I'll be happy to contribute and help others with ideas and writing skills.

7/9/2011 #5
ShearViscosity

I'm so happy that it's not even a day, and there's already four responses. From what it sounds like, a Plot Discussion/Help thread would be useful for writers who want to write stories, but aren't sure where to start. That way experienced writers could help them generate plot ideas, and perhaps even join up with them as Betas.

Another thing that people seem to be interested in are the writing challenges. It would help people who want to start writing HK fics since they'll most likely be one-shots instead of long stories, along with providing some guidelines or things to include in the story.

Contain with the ideas of what you want to see or express interest in the above. That way JayLah and I can follow through on them. So far this forum is off to a very promising start!

7/10/2011 #6
MadewithPurpose

Oh this is an answer to prayers! All of the things your talking about sound like lots of fun. It would be really helpful to have a section for those who want to talk about their fanfics for Hollow Kingdom and having contests and such would boost everyone's writing skills. MadewithPurpose is on board! : }

7/11/2011 #7
JayLah

I didn't expect so much of a response so quickly. Thanks for the interest everybody. Feel free to keep the ideas and the opinions coming :)

So, with the fic writing challenges, do you guys think they should be put up once or twice a month? Also, what do you guys think of having a fic request thread where anyone can request a fic about a couple or character they really want to see a story about?

7/11/2011 #8
deleteplease123

In my opinion, the frequency will completely depend on what kind of competitions you have in mind. Drabbles? One shots? Best characterization?

As far as the fic request thread, you could always just start one and see how much traffic it gets.

7/11/2011 . Edited 7/12/2011 #9
BalletGirl98

This is an amazing idea! These kind of forums keep me motivated and updating. Thanks for starting this!

7/12/2011 #10
ShearViscosity

Usually for the writing contests I've seen, the submissions are just one-shots or drabbles. I'm afraid that if we do them twice a month people might not have enough time to write their submission, or could get tired of doing them so often. What about about a month? The challenge is issued on the first, and submissions are due by the last day of the month. After that the next challenge is submitted, and people could vote in a poll for the winner of the last month's challenge. Then the poll will close after a couple weeks, and the winner will be announced.

Of course before we can do any of that, we need to start getting ideas for challenges. Any ideas?

I think the plot thread is a good idea. People could go there to submit plots or ideas that they want to see but don't have time to write, and people looking for plots or ideas could pick them up. Perhaps another thread then, for people specifically looking for help on their plot.

Seems like we have some good ideas so far. Glad to see all the interest!

7/12/2011 #11
BalletGirl98

You could do one-shots with only original characters and pairings, seeing as how there are hardly any stories with them.

7/12/2011 #12
Saphira.Flametongue

Yeap that seems fine xD For the first one, I agree that perhaps they should be about original characters? Though I love the trilogy, I always believe that the characters have so much more depth and personality that she could have brought out... And that just irks me xD

7/13/2011 #13
deleteplease123

Most of the challenges I've seen are focused around a theme. Random words slash phrases would be easy enough to come up with. :)

7/13/2011 #14
deleteplease123

Most of the challenges I've seen are focused around a theme. Random words slash phrases would be easy enough to come up with. :)

7/13/2011 #15
ShearViscosity

It sounds like all are in agreement that for challenges, all submissions must have canon characters only. Perhaps for the first one, we'll go with realityfail's idea of random words/phrases. Anybody have suggestions, or will I just have to pick random words in the dictionary?

7/13/2011 #16
JayLah

I'm not sure if all the challenges should just be canon characters only. Maybe just some? And how would the random word challenges work?

7/13/2011 #17
ShearViscosity

For random word challenges, several words that are unrelated are given. It's then up to the writer to write a story that somehow uses all of the words in a way that makes sense.

Does anybody else have opinions on only having canon characters in challenges? It doesn't make that much of a difference to me, but if anybody has strong opinions about it, we should get it settled now before the challenges start.

7/13/2011 #18
deleteplease123

Personally I love doing OCs in this series. Maybe designate some contests as canon only, but then let the authors chose for the others? A compromise of sorts.

7/13/2011 #19
BalletGirl98

You could choose random words, then have the author write a short story that kindof goes with it? I have seen a bunch of contests like that before. And you could do contests around the holidays that have to do with them...

7/13/2011 #20
iguana-of-eyre

I think that it would be very limiting to use only canon characters in challenges. There's only so much you can do with the characters we all know and love! Allowing people to branch out and invent new characters, even in a short challenge, could be beneficial to writers who are just starting out.

Canon challenges would be fine too, but I don't think all challenges should be exclusively canon.

Wow. That sounded really cliche...

7/16/2011 #21
EarlyMorningWishes

I think using only canon characters can be limiting to creativity, or it could be a good challenge for writing skills. It all depends on how each author views it. Either way would be fine to me personally, but like a few people have already said, some challenges can be canon only and some can be open to anything. That way everyone gets to try it the way they like it.

I would also like to say that prehaps other specifics of the challenge should be established beforehand, like ratings or catagory. I personally like the random words idea, and if no one minds, I would like to submit the words agoraphobia, technophobia, and amateur for consideration.

To save a trip to the dictionary, agoraphobia means the fear of being in crowds, public places, or open areas; technophobia is the fear of advanced technology; and amateur is what we all are...not professionals :)

7/18/2011 #22
ShearViscosity

The August Writing Challenge has officially been opened. If interested check out the link: http://forum.fanfiction.net/topic/94137/45933788/1/

Thanks to everybody who gave suggestions and ideas for it. Hopefully many of you will participate in it. I'm certainly going to give it a try.

7/19/2011 #23
deleteplease123

Just curious... will there be a separate thread for challenge suggestions?

Also, would it be a good idea to start a community that includes all the challenge pieces? Instead of having to dig through old threads to find a story... Or maybe thats just redundant. *shrugs*

7/19/2011 #24
speederina

I definitely like the idea of a separate thread. That would make the actual challenge thread a lot less chaotic.

Starting a different community for the challenge stuff would just make things more confusing. Wouldn't it be better to keep everything in one community?

But as an alternative, because I see your point, is there some way to make a folder within a community?

7/19/2011 #25
Saphira.Flametongue

Hrm... I'm not too sure where to post this but...

For the Challenge - must it be a one-shot? Haha, I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to write about so I need to start planing early .__.

7/21/2011 #26
ShearViscosity

A separate thread for challenge suggestions is a good idea. The same goes for the idea of a community just for challenge fics. That way readers can go back and read through different fics to see how challenges are done, and it would be easier to check the community for all the fics when it's time to vote.

As for fics being one-shots, it doesn't matter as long as the fic is finished when submitting it. One-shots might be easier to write for a challenge than planning out an entire story, but if multiple chapters is what works for you, go for it. Just make sure it's finished, so readers can judge the story fairly to others, and are able to make sure that it fulfilled the requirements for the challenge.

For future reference, if there are questions about the challenges, post it under the current month's thread.

7/21/2011 #27
speederina

I just had an idea. How about a new forum for people wanting to team up with someone else, either to develop a plot together, or writing, or editing help. People could post what they were looking for in a partner, like a help wanted ad. How does that sound?

8/10/2011 #28
Winter's She-Wolf

If you all are still taking suggestions, how about a thread on common mistakes writers make when they're trying to recreate the Hollow Kingdom world in their fan fics. I don't know about anyone else, but I get completely turned off of a story if there are too many errors that go against the rules of this universe. So a thread might help writers avoid those common pitfalls that can completely ruin a story.

8/15/2011 #29
speederina

Sounds interesting. I believe the idea is that people should create whatever forums they feel are necessary. So you can create it yourself or I suppose I could. How about Common Canon Errors for the name?

8/16/2011 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: JayLah ShearViscosity
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member