Dragon Age Writers' Corner
Many of the Dragon Age forums are roleplays, so I've set up this for authors who wish to chat about Dragon Age and writing, and writing about Dragon Age! Need feedback? Just want to chat? Swoop on in because in this case, swooping is good!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
deagh

Installment 3 of Silent Grove came out to day, and while I don't want to spoil for people who are waiting for the full edition, I am just dying to talk about it.

Based on what we've seen so far and Gaider's penchant for bittersweet endings, Ihave theories about how it's going to play out.

Generally, though, I'm very pleased with the artwork (especially of one of the characters that was shown in today's issue - he looks like I pictured) and the story so far.

Thoughts? Theories? Discuss!

3/21/2012 #1
EasternViolet

OMG... Just read it. Very cool. I don't want to spoil, so how are we to discuss?! I am hoping that this is not the DA way of clearing up the Alistair-Isabela-Varric stories so they are exempt from DA3. (and possibly the product of the dark ritual...)

"We brown our trousers" I could actually picture that whole scene in full animated glory. Loved it!

Oh and weirdness, In the fanfic that I am trying to finish, I renamed Elissa Cousland to Telari. It is purely coincidental. I think it is a prettier name than for a swamp! (Tellari in this case)

Can't wait for the next. But its a real pain in the hole getting it on my iphone :P

3/21/2012 #2
JayRain

It was a pain getting it on my PC, and reading it there as well, but omg, soooo good. Me, of course, swooned when Alistair mentioned Cailan. I'm such a fangirl. I like how it's open-ended and ambiguous about a lot of things, but still managing to tell a really great story. I'm definitely more pleased with this than I thought I would be!

3/21/2012 #3
deagh

I also swooned like a fangirl, and you know where.

I may have made a screenshot of that panel into the wallpaper on my phone.

Really looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

3/21/2012 #4
Vanilla Aplomb

I was skeptical of the comics when I first heard of them, but they're very impressive. I love that BioWare is purposefully vague, so that each fan could insert their headcanon and it would still make sense.

As I muchly prefer hardened!Alistair, this insight to his mentality is really neat. Alistair's opinion of King Maric is sort of... glossed over in Origin, I suppose. He does mention it a couple times, but it comes up infrequently and is given little attention. Alistair is made to be the heir of a legacy, but that legacy has more-or-less complicated his life and overshadowed his accomplishments. He was treated like a servant, made to live with the horses, and given to the Chantry at the first chance--all because he was the heir to the Theirin line. It used to be a curse, but now he's accepted and hailed as King Theirin. I never could picture Alistair as being satisfied with that lifestyle, so it's neat to see him address it.

Great comic is great. I want next week's volume now, plzkthx.

3/22/2012 #5
R2s Muse

Agree, I find the story very intriguing, especially that there is some league of powerful witches of the wild, or some such hilarious phrase the GreyWardens dot com review used. Plus, it seems this league has a dress code or something requiring tight, cha cha leather outfits and headdresses. LOL

I was also thinking that it was nice how vague they were leaving some things... like who Alistair is married to, if anyone. I also liked seeing captain!Isabela again, along with that crack about how different she is when she's ordering pirates about.

hmm... should we just add a spoiler flag and go to town on discussing...?

3/23/2012 . Edited 3/23/2012 #6
R2s Muse

D'oh, just noticed the spoiler warning in the title! OK --

SPOILERS!!

Bets on whether Maric is still alive?? Seems a shame to string us along if the answer is no... I'm imagining one of those Vader-Luke moments where they meet for just a moment, blah-blah I'm so proud of you... then he dies. Then his existence doesn't mess with Ferelden line of succession or any big canon story points.

3/23/2012 . Edited 3/23/2012 #7
Vanilla Aplomb

SPOILERS!

R2s Muse: I thought the old man was Maric. Now that I know he's not, I have a feeling that we won't discover his fate until the climax or around there.

I could see that sort of reunion. If Maric spent time in a prison and is now... wherever he is, maybe he doesn't want to go back to Ferelden. Or he can't. What will the reunion be like? "What happened to my son, Alistair? Why are you the king?" I hope they get that touchy-feely, "I never should've given you to Eamon. I should've kept you and damn what anyone said about Rowan—no one would've thought her any less because of my actions. You've made me so proud, despite what I've done to you."

I also hope that Alistair gets the opportunity to punch him and say, "You're a dick."

And I'm really hoping that Flemeth shows up. I know these are Antivan Witches, but... Flemeth. She's awesome. I love her.

3/23/2012 #8
R2s Muse

Ah, Vanilla Aplomb, you open the floodgate of all the questions we could get answered...! I agree, touchy feely would be awesome! LOL like, is Fiona my mom or that serving girl?? Why did David Gaider say you absolutely had died at sea...? Oh, wait, I guess that one breaks the fourth wall. ;)

3/23/2012 #9
deagh

Where does it say that he definitely said that Maric died at sea? The last comment I read from him about it was "sometimes people just die", which is not really definite. I can search later, but on my phone at the moment, so that's a bit problematic.

Anyway, I'm also hoping for some closure on the Fiona front.

My pet theory is that he'll already be dead though (I hope otherwise but I don't trust Gaider). However, he's had some time to father other children in the meantime. I think that there's going to be a little Theirin-let that Alistair is going to bring home and pass off as his own bastarad, thus circumventing the "Wardens have a hard time having children" thing while still keeping the Theirin line alive.

I'm *hoping* for them to have a chance to talk, but I'm not expecting it.

3/23/2012 #10
deagh

Where does it say that he definitely said that Maric died at sea? The last comment I read from him about it was "sometimes people just die", which is not really definite. I can search later, but on my phone at the moment, so that's a bit problematic.

Anyway, I'm also hoping for some closure on the Fiona front.

My pet theory is that he'll already be dead though (I hope otherwise but I don't trust Gaider). However, he's had some time to father other children in the meantime. I think that there's going to be a little Theirin-let that Alistair is going to bring home and pass off as his own bastarad, thus circumventing the "Wardens have a hard time having children" thing while still keeping the Theirin line alive.

I'm *hoping* for them to have a chance to talk, but I'm not expecting it.

3/23/2012 #11
R2s Muse

@deagh, ah, apologies for not having an actual citation on that one! I'm afraid I actually read that secondhand. And, of course, it appears it is no longer true. :)

OK, I guess it was this, from a BSN thread entitled "So how did Maric die?"

DG: "If you're truly curious, Maric was lost at sea. Nothing more glamorous than that. Sometimes people simply die."

So, not totally definitive...

3/23/2012 #12
deagh

Oh no worries - that post was the one I was thinking of - I was just wondering if there had been something updated.

And now I'm going to change gears and become a fangirl.

Looking at him when the guards take him away...he is looking FINE for a ~50 year old man. Look at all that hair! And it's still blond! I know that keeping one's hair doesn't pass down through the male line, but seeing that makes me happy for Alistair's chances of keeping his own hair. :lol:

3/23/2012 #13
R2s Muse

"Looking at him when the guards take him away...he is looking FINE for a ~50 year old man. Look at all that hair!"

LOL, agree! I was thinking the same thing. Something like, "okkaaaay, that's more what I was expecting, not dessicated prisoner man." Cailan and Alistair have to get that good genetic fitness somewhere. :)

3/24/2012 #14
Saber Wing

^Same here xD . My first thought when I saw Maric was:

".......damn it, he has to be in his mid-fifties there, but I'd still do him." That's one hott grandpa.

Needless to say, as a Theirin fangirl, this comic is making all of my dreams come true. I knew David Gaider was just jerking us around. I knew there had to be more to it than "lost at sea."

Am I the only one who thinks Maric might have been that dragon at the end of the chapter? I know High Dragons are usually supposed to be female, but why would it attack Varric and Isabela, but stop when it saw Alistair? I don't know how it would be possible to turn someone into a dragon, but I'm grasping at straws here ._.

3/26/2012 . Edited 3/26/2012 #15
EasternViolet

**SPOILERS**

Is anyone thinking that the dragon is perhaps Alistair's "child"? Or is that too obvious?

3/26/2012 #16
deagh

Well, given that he's probably only a decade or so older than I am in that picture, I'd DEFINITELY do him. I so totally didn't have any fantasies about "giving refuge to an escaped wrongfully imprisoned man."

Nope.

ahem

Anyway, shapeshifting requires being a mage, I'd think, so I'm not sure about that. Guess we'll eventually find out.

As to whether the dragon is the old god baby...not enough time has passed, I'd think. I would think it takes longer than 10 years for a dragon to get that big, but I could be wrong.

Plus if there is an old god baby Morrigan takes it through the Eluvian in Witch Hunt, at least in some scenarios.

3/26/2012 #17
Lord Amaranth

I've mostly been following the series through spoilers. (I can never follow comics, I get all confuzzled), but from what I've seen and read, isn't it possible Yavana is Morrigan's sister?

In DA:O, Morrigan and Zevran have party banter where Zevran says something about there being a Witch of the Wilds in Antiva, and Morrigan insulting him somehow, and then he says something about their possible relationship?

Plus Yevana, Flemeth and Morrigan all look alike.

I'm guessing a daughter that GTFO.

3/30/2012 #18
Vanilla Aplomb

Lord Amaranth: Huh. That's a really good idea. I actually thought Yevana was Morrigan until I looked at the image a little closer. Given that DA is rather good about making "unique-looking" characters, I do think there's a good chance that Yevana and Morrigan are related somehow.

3/31/2012 #19
R2s Muse

Oh wow, Lord Amaranth, what a crack memory you have. Zev is talking about Yevana! Unless there is another witch in the Tellari swamps. Hopefully we'll find out more tomorrow with #4. From dragon age wiki:

Zevran: So if the legend of your mother is true, Morrigan, does that mean that the legends of her many daughters are as well?

Morrigan: To be honest, I have no idea. I've never met any sister of mine, nor has my mother spoken of any.

Zevran: But it could be true, yes? If you exist, there could have been others like you.

Morrigan: Long ago, perhaps. Why?

Zevran: We have legends of witches in Antiva. one that tells of a Witch of the Wild, traveled far from her home to settle in the Tellari Swamps.

Morrigan: And? You thought I might know this woman?

Zevran: If one legend can be true, why not another? Who knows how many Morrigans are scattered about Thedas, hmm?

Morrigan: It's not something I'd like to contemplate.

Zevran: Oh? You do not appreciate a little competition from a half-sister or two?

Morrigan: Silence, elf. It is none of your concern.

(edited for total formatting fail)

4/3/2012 . Edited 4/3/2012 #20
Lord Amaranth

YEP! THAT'S THE CONVERSATION! Morrigan's got competition for Mother's adoration now, lol.

4/4/2012 #21
Saber Wing

Every issue just leaves me with more questions. David Gaider, you sick genius. I applaud you.

4/4/2012 #22
EasternViolet

Sodding iphone app. Is the new one out? The Dark Horse App is useless. Bah!

4/4/2012 #23
DreamerOfTheDay

So... the fourth issue was pretty sweet. I'm just wondering though, if Maric is actually alive. Yavana says "I did not kill him, though I cannot speak for others," before telling Alistair and the gang to go home. And would Yavana even know if Morrigan was bearing the old God baby? She says that she had no idea Alistair had met Morrigan. Also, what does she mean when she states that Flemeth's 'possession' is a gift?

The more I read the more questions I have.

Ever since I (tried to?) kill Flemeth in Origins, I've suspected that there may be more than one Flemeth. Many bodies that make up the whole thing, similar to the Geth or Legion, but not on as large a scale. That way, she can be in many places at once, and it does not matter if one platform gets destroyed. Dragon Age 2, with the amulet and whatnot, pretty much confirmed that.

Maybe Flemeth IS a dragon, or at least part. Yavana also says that "the blood of dragons is the blood of the world," and Flemeth is very very old. I'm most likely wrong, but that's what I think anyway.

P.S. Sorry about my herpaderp post in the General Conversation topic! I probably should have checked before I posted, you lovely folk are always on the ball with DA related stuff.

P.P.S. @EasternViolet The app is terrible. I'd been patiently waiting for April 4th to download the newest issue, but it didn't show up. I waited almost a week, and decided I'd check the DarkHorse site, and sure enough, it was there. The app would not refresh no matter what I did, so I ended up having to read it on my PC.

4/11/2012 #24
R2s Muse

re: the Dark Horse app, yeah, I've been having the same trouble with the iPad app store not updating with the new one eventho it's available. So, what I've done to force it (since I have this huge credit I wanted to use up on iTunes) is that if I navigate with my browser to darkhorse.com and find it there, poke around with the store, maybe add it to my cart, but don't buy it there. Then, I mosey back to the app, and it'll show up in the store. So far it's worked twice on the day of release. Clunky and irritating, but there you go...

4/13/2012 #25
EasternViolet

@DreamerOfTheDay Same issue with the DH app too. My work around, and its a real pain in the hole: uninstall, then reinstall the app each time there is a new episode. Works, but geeze. Not necessary. If it were not for Silent Grove it would stay uninstalled. X|

4/18/2012 #26
Vanilla Aplomb

Alright, I managed to download and read Volume 5 before class starts. Pretty interesting stuff about Isabela's husband.

4/18/2012 #27
R2s Muse

@Vanilla Aplomb - agree. I always imagined her husband must have been horrible, but ... ugh.

4/18/2012 #28
Vanilla Aplomb

R2s Muse: This volume touched a nerve of mine, so I was cheering for Isabela the whole time. The way he sneered at Isabela, "All you had to do was entertain Luis' friends," like she was so ungrateful—ugh! I was cheering for her, quietly and over my morning coffee, and Isabela doesn't disappoint.

When I first saw Isabela in DA:O, I didn't like her. She seemed like the stereotype sex appeal, which is found all-too-commonly in video games. But I stuck her in my party in DA2 and played through with her, and she's now one of my favorite characters. I love how fierce and independent she is. She's the first to admit her ways aren't right, but I was happy to see her stick up for herself.

4/18/2012 #29
deagh

You know, from what I remember, she was effectively sold to him. He tells her if she didn't like it then she shouldn't have married him. but I'm actually betting she didn't have a whole lot of choice in the matter. And then at first possibly thought it was normal...and then having him killed was a desperate act. I don't know, maybe I"m projecting.

Anyway, when you're abused, it isn't that simple. You convince yourself it's all normal and your abuser makes darned certain that you're convinced that you deserve whatever is being done to you, whether it's emotional or physical or sexual. So, i was glad she did what she did. I was even gladder to see Yavana say that all is not lost, because I want to know what happened!

Just two more weeks to wait.

4/18/2012 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: JayRain deagh, MLHawke, karebear
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member