Author has written 31 stories for Harry Potter, Hetalia - Axis Powers, Phantom of the Opera, Sherlock, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek: 2009, and Kuroshitsuji.
NOTE: This is no longer my primary fanfiction posting site. A majority of my recent works have been posted only to Archive of Our Own, and I'm working on moving all of my works over there. However, for stories that I have already started here I will continue to update here. Just bear in mind that most of my Sherlock fanworks are in AO3.
I'm Lily Winterwood, a fangirl with a degree in flailing and procrastination. Despite that, do not tar me with the same brush as those illiterate dimwits you see elsewhere. I try not to be.
Books: Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl, Chronicles of Narnia, Sherlock Holmes, Never Let Me Go, and the Tolkien legendarium (Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit, the Silmarillion, etc.)
Movies: Star Trek (Reboot), Pacific Rim, Gattaca, Lord of the Rings, the Avengers, Inception, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Moulin Rouge, and Mean Girls
Comics: Calvin and Hobbes and ...does Homestuck count as a comic?
TV Shows: Star Trek (TOS), Black Mirror, Doctor Who, BBC Sherlock, CBS Elementary, Battlestar Galactica (2003), and Skins (British version, please)
Animes: Axis Powers Hetalia and Kuroshitsuji
Plays: Much Ado About Nothing, Hamlet
Ships (a small selection of my armada, with Homestuck shipping quadrants):
T'hy'la Ships (ships that I ship platonically and romantically/ships that are better defined as soulmates to me)
The 27 Commandments of Fanfiction
Note: This list (and subsequent lists) are directed at new writers. Most experienced writers know better. I hope.
1. Thou shalt not post a fic until it has been checked for grammar and spelling errors. The fanfiction gods hath given you a spellchecker on the computer for good reason. Use it.
2. Thou shalt not post a chapter of less than 100 words, unless it is a drabble. This displeases the masses.
3. Thou shalt not put author's notes in the middle of the story.
4. Thou shalt NEVER use text-speak in a fic, unless the characters are actually texting.
5. Thou shalt keep to one tense, and only one, throughout the story. Do not switch randomly.
6. Apply the above number 5 to POVs as well.
7. Thou shalt not get offended when someone makes fun of the crack pairing featured in your fanfiction. It probably is rather hilarious.
8. Thou shalt not use :) , ;D , or >:( in a fanfiction to show the emotion exhibited by a character.
9. Thou shalt try-eth to keep characters in character!
10. Thou shalt not treat every criticism as a flame.
11. The author's note is not a spot for your personal drama, and thou shalt not make it so.
12. Thou shalt not put any form of the phrase "first fic" in thy summary.
13. Thy created characters must not have names that exceed five syllables in length. Nor shall thy name have more than five words in length.
14. Thou shalt not insert thyself into the story line as thyself or as a character- yes we know that you are in love with yourself and are very narcissistic, we just don’t want to read about how you end up with the main character.
15. If thou art writing a story that does not follow the original story line, point it out in the beginning.
16. Thou shall not make a person randomly smart or powerful unless stating a reason for the change (a good reason).
17. Thou shalt show and not tell.
18. Thou shalt not EVER use the phrase "I suck at summaries" in-est thine summary. This annoys thine readers.
19. Thou shalt not write the same way thou speak-est - writing is an art.
20. Thou shalt ALWAYS spell the word "okay" correctly. Using the letter "K" is an unacceptable compromise.
21. Thou shalt only use clichés when thou a) art writing a parody or b) find a new and interesting twist to make such clichés bearable to thine reader.
22. Thou shalt always separate dialogue from two separate speakers in two separate paragraphs. Otherwise thine readers shalt be confuse-ed.
23. Thou shalt not EVER make a chapter all one paragraph. THIS INFURIATES BOTH THINE READER AND THE FANFICTION GODS. They have given thee an ENTER key with good reason.
24. Thou shalt not write with thy caps lock on, it displeases the masses and causes thy readers to lose their vision and make angels weep.
25. Thou shalt know how to spell the character's names correctly before you writeth the fic. Misspelling the name of the main characters makes readers angry and distracts from the story. It will also create Minis. Mini-Balrogs, Mini-Aragogs, Mochi Nations - whatever it is, the Mini will hate you.
26. Thou shalt not say in thine summary "summary inside". This shows lack of creativeness and infuriates the masses. The only exception is when a summary is cut short and a continuation of it lies inside.
27. Thou shall use paragraphs and space the story so it is not terrifyingly daunting to thine readers.
The Ten Tolkien Truths:
"Thou Shalt Honour Tolkien's Name By Spelling His Name Right.
-by MissCam and the Philosopher At Large.
The Ten Commandments of Sherlock Fanfiction:
1) Thou shalt not make a character smarter than Sherlock Holmes, unless it be his brother Mycroft, consulting criminal James Moriarty, or 'The Woman' Irene Adler.
2) Thou shalt not make Sherlock Holmes put emotion before realism without plausible reason.
3) Thou shalt not cheapen the friendship between Sherlock Holmes and John Watson.
4) Thou shalt not defy canon without plausible reason.
5) Thou shalt not let thy annoying OC insubordinate the Yard. They only let Sherlock do it because they need him.
6) Thy OC must not hog the spotlight. The road to Mary Suedom is paved with thieves.
7) Thou shalt provide a plausible reason for changing the sexual orientations of the characters, or bestowing the 'gift' of pregnancy upon male characters.
8) Thou shalt not create mini-Hounds.
9) Honour thy spellcheck, thy beta, and thy constructive criticism.
10) Honour Gatiss's presence in thy fandom, and spell his name with one T.
Some Quick Tips for Hetalia Fanfiction:
- If in doubt, look it up. Getting a country's customs wrong will infuriate people from that country.
- Google Translate sucks. Learn the language, or ask someone who knows the language to write those lines for you. Reading "mon nom est Francis" instead of "je m'appelle Francis" drives Frenchies nuts.
- Don't use controversial character portrayals until you're better situated in the fandom. Immediately portraying Arthur Kirkland in your first fic as a slut will make his fangirls mad.
- Please use more creative settings than the World Meeting Room. You could parody Rebecca Black's "Friday" with the amount of Meeting Room Hetalia fanfics there are.
- Look up overused tropes for your favourite ships and try to avoid them. Readers are tired of reading another "DOES HE LIKE ME?" "DOES HE LIKE ME?" "OH HE KISSED ME I SUPPOSE HE LIKES ME" "LET'S HAVE SEX" "OKAY" fanfic. Especially if it's USUK.
- When writing smut for your first time, read other people's smut fics to get an idea of what to do. "Insert tab A into slot B" fanfics are as arousing as assembling Berwald's furniture.
- Remember that the characters you're using are personifications of NATIONS. There are people from those countries reading your fanfic. People get pissed when you portray their country badly for no reason. And spell the names right, for Glod's sake.
For other tips, read my fanfic The International Academy of Hetalia Fanfiction.
Other works done for BHL/ND:
My memoir Behind the Scenes of Blurring House Lines (on a bit of a hiatus)
Morning Chrysanthemum: Acche Lagte Ho (Fr/Sey)
Other works done for IAHF:
IAHF @ TVTropes (created by FrigginGoddess. Bow down to her awesome.)
Sunshine Soysauce: East Side Otaku
FrigginGoddess: Azure, Sabrina, Kuril, and Ema, Azure and Sabrina, Hugh's relationships explained in Homestuck terms, painting practice with some female characters in IAHF, the hemospectrum of IAHF characters, her iahf tag on tumblr
Always-Doubt-Reality: History with Ivan
xPanicxLovex: IAHF the comic (for all of your TL;DR purposes! /bricked)
Want to write an IAHF spinoff or do art? Just do it and give me the link.
IAHF is now on Tumblr. Extras go there. Expect possible crossposting to Mr. Hugh's livejournal, facebook, and twitter (HOW DID HE GET THEM :O)
IAHF is scheduled to be translated into Danish by the wonderful Relina-Chan (creator of Lucas and his Angelic cronies)! Watch this space for more information.
Things related to the Modern Baker Street Fanfiction Academy:
The Consulting Sue Slayer Sue Report: For all of your Sue-sporking needs in the Sherlock fandom. NOTE: consultingsueslayer does not in any way, shape, or form intend on mocking the authors of these stories. Get that through your head before clicking the link. Any other butthurt will be cause for amusement on my behalf.
The Mini-Hound Adoption Kennel: Want a mini-Hound from MBSFA? There's the list. Please note that you cannot adopt the minis in the Unadoptables section, nor can you take our precious Jawn away from us. Thank you.
My roleplay accounts:
Hugh Fraser (OC, based on Allen Kirkland-Jones) http://twitter.com/hughie_fraser,
Questions? Want to talk? Find me elsewhere on the internet:
I am HallowSpell204 on Pottermore. Hopefully with this experience I can enhance the BHLverse!
(I would also like to point out that my accounts on FictionAlley, lotrfanfiction, Survival Instinct, and CaspianandSusan are now inactive.)