Poll: Because I'm curious: regarding my ongoing Death Note-based series (Story of the Century, And The Story Continues, all related oneshots), which pairing do you prefer? Vote Now!
Author has written 85 stories for Yu-Gi-Oh GX, Sonic the Hedgehog, Space Ghost, Road to Eldorado, Death Note, and Adventure Time with Finn and Jake.
I LOVE writing, especially poetry and stories! And I will NEVER do it out of mere boredom. Writing is just one of my instincts. I do it because...it feels right. I'm kind of impulsive, and will go back and edit things even after I've published a piece. I also tend to be influenced by what I've read when I set out on a writing endeavor.
I've recently gotten into the habit of playing the role of critic. I'm not actively trying to destroy people's self-esteem, but if I see something wrong with a fan fiction, especially in one from a series I support, it bothers me until I say something about it. Am I blunt? Yes. Persistent? Yes-yes. I have a duty to try to better a fellow writer and be a better writer, and I'm protective of my favorite characters. Something about bad fanfic just makes me...rabid, or something. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one, either. I don't attack you as a person, I don't know who you are as a person. I confront you as a writer.
Maybe I've just gone mad from being on here for so long.
My birthday is September 10. My Western Zodiac Sun sign is Virgo, my Rising is Gemini, and my Moon is Pisces. (Under the new Western zodiac, though, I'm supposedly a Leo...which actually doesn't sound all that far-fetched, given some aspects of my personality). My Chinese zodiac sign is the Water Monkey; the Brown Bear, my Native American zodiac sign.
I've got accounts at Deviantart:
and FictionPress: http://www.fictionpress.com/u/591388/WhiteLadyDragon
They're all under the same name I'm wearing now.
"No doubt but there is none other beeste comparable to the mightie dragon in awesome power and majestie, and few so worthie of the diligent studies of wise men." (Gildas Magnus, "Ars Draconis", 1465)
Be kind to your sweet scaly friends, for a dragon may be somebody's mother!
Saw this on somebody's profile, and hey, I can't help but agree. Spread the Word of the Gods of Fanfiction!
The 27 Commandments of Fanfiction
1. Thou shalt not post a fic until it has been checked for grammar and spelling errors. The fanfiction gods hath given you a spellchecker on the computer for good reason. Use it.
2. Thou shalt not post a chapter of less than 100 words, unless it is a drabble. This displeases the masses.
3. Thou shalt not put author's notes in the middle of the story.
4. Thou shalt NEVER use text-speak in a fic, unless the characters are actually texting.
5. Thou shalt keep to one tense, and only one, throughout the story. Do not switch randomly.
6. Apply the above number 5 to POVs as well.
7. Thou shalt not get offended when someone makes fun of the crack pairing featured in your fanfiction. It probably is rather hilarious.
8. Thou shalt not use , ;, or >:( in a fanfiction to show the emotion exhibited by a character.
9. Thou shall try-eth to keep characters in character!
10. Thou shall not treat every criticism as a flame.
11. The author's note is not a spot for your personal drama, and thou shalt not make it so.
12. Thou shalt not put any form of the phrase "first fic" in thy summary.
13. Thy created characters must not have names that exceed five syllables in length. Nor shall thy name have more than five words in length.
14. Thou shall not insert thyself into the story line as thyself or as a character- yes we know that you are in love with yourself and are very narcissistic, we just don’t want to read about how you end up with the main character.
15. If thou art writing a story that does not follow the original story line, point it out in the beginning.
16. Thou shall not make a person randomly smart or powerful unless stating a reason for the change (a good reason).
17. Thou shalt show and not tell.
18. Thou shalt not EVER use the phrase "I suck at summaries" in-est thine summary. This annoys thine readers.
19. Thou shalt not write the same way thou speak-est- writing is an art.
20. Thou shalt ALWAYS spell the word "okay" correctly. Using the letter "K" is an unacceptable compromise.
21. Thou shalt only use clichés when thou a) art writing a parody or b) find a new and interesting twist to make such clichés bearable to thine reader.
22. Thou shalt always separate dialogue from two separate speakers in two separate paragraphs. Otherwise thine readers shalt be confuse-ed.
23. Thou shalt not EVER make a chapter all one paragraph. THIS INFURIATES BOTH THINE READER AND THE FANFICTION GODS. They have given thee an ENTER key with good reason.
24. Thou shalt not write with thy caps lock on, it displeases the masses and causes thy readers to lose their vision and make angels weep.
25. Thou shalt know how to spell the character's names correctly before you writeth the fic. Misspelling the name of the main characters makes readers angry and distracts from the story.
26. Thou shalt not say in thine summary "summary inside". This shows lack of creativeness and infuriates the masses. The only exception is when a summary is cut short and a continuation of it lies inside.
27. Thou shall use paragraphs and space the story so it is not terrifyingly daunting to thine readers.
"Story Of The Century" is a love story in its own sense, and has got to be the best fan fiction I've ever written; I owe its success to my readers, reviewers/ critics, and subscribers. It's an L x OC story, but (hopefully) different than most other fanfics featuring that pairing. I was getting fairly tired of reading those fics where the attitude is "L r god, Light r jerkface" (you can thank Timekeeper101 for that nugget). But even so, I didn't want to COMPLETELY antagonize him; he doesn't deserve that. I also set out to demonstrate his more benign side, his human side. L's got a duality about him, I think (as do most of the DN characters, really). I consider his relationship with Erin to be a sort of inversion to Light and Misa's.
Now that I'm thinking about it, faith is a major theme in the story, as well: faith in one's self, faith in others, faith in goodness, even religious faith, to a small extent (if you consider all of the support Kira gets from the people to be an example of religious faith). Erin's initial problem is that she wants people to believe in her as a journalist. Light believes that he is doing the right thing by acting as Kira. Misa places her faith in Light and Kira. L believes that Light is Kira, even when no one else believes him. And it's L's faith in Erin, among other things, that spurs her to find the courage to forgive and press onward. These are only a few examples.
While the things that we invest our faith in may be misguided, the act of faith itself is never misguided. It's the force that drives us, even when we're going through tough times. Honestly, if we didn't have faith in anything, we would have nothing. There is no motivation in anything without faith.
This series of mine has had inspiration drawn from J.D. Salinger's Catcher in the Rye, with some of Jean-Paul Sartre's "No Exit" and a little bit of Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird.
Also, check out the neat fanfic SunMoonandSpoon did for me! It does so much greater of a service to Light than I ever could:
"Hot 'N' Cold" - Katy Perry
"True Colors" - Cyndi Lauper/ Phil Collins
"Leave Out All The Rest" - Linkin Park
"Far Behind" - Candlebox
"Cold" - Crossfade
"Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You?" - Stevie Nicks
"Forever Young" - Bob Dylan/ Johnny Cash
"Hand In My Pocket" - Alanis Morissette
"Hands" - Jewel
"Somebody To Love" - Queen
"Meant To Live" - Switchfoot
"My Same" - Adele
"Have You Ever Seen The Rain?" - Creedence Clearwater Revival/ Rod Stewart
"Cold (But I'm Still Here)" - Evans Blue
"Angels On The Moon" - Thriving Ivory
"Viva La Vida" - Coldplay
"Dust In The Wind" - Kansas
"Bleed Red" - Ronnie Dunn
"The Chain" - Fleetwood Mac
"Another Hero Lost" - Shadows Fall
"Show Me The Way" - Styx
"Superman" - Five For Fighting
"Nobody's Home" - Avril Lavigne
"Let Her Go" - Passenger
"Paper Dreams" - Lucy Spraggan
"Wall of Pride" - Voltaire
And now the story has an ongoing sequel. "And The Story Continues." Hope you enjoy it!
Credit where credit is due, though: Lumen is based on the unnamed shinigami from the first Relight special ( while Umbra is based on this neat fanart I stumbled across on DeviantArt by YamiKaisu, which a few modifications of my own (i,e., six arms instead of two) (
A lovely kind and talented artist I met over Tumblr, Celeste, drew cover art for AtSC as part of a commission. You can see the full picture here: