Poll: Which is the worst of bad clichés in Harry Potter/Lord Voldemort aka Tom Riddle fanfiction? Vote Now!
Who am I?
Call me Persefone.
I am a 26 year old female who lives in Sweden.
So I ask you to pardon my English, which might not be the best at times. since it's not my native language.
Also visit http://www.fanfiction.net/myforums/Persefone88/1099141/ where I post different fanfiction plot bunnies.
Reading, writing and drawing
Subjects of interest in those cases:
Vampires, fantasy, magic, history, religion, mythology, forgien cultures
Types of fan fiction I read
I read lots and lots of fanfiction. I often have periods when I focus on a certain fanfiction category or pairing. It is almost an obsession. I finecomb the Internet for this ship/genre for a number of weeks or months until the frenzy dies down and I move on to another fandom with visits to the older ones from time to time. I tend to be extremly picky about a few pairings in particiular - most of them mentioned below. I can have a very hard time to read fic's where one or both of the people is paired with someone else. The sub pairings on the other hand seldom bother me as long as they aren't to wacky.
What Am i Reading Right Now? Yu-gi-oh - Yami Bakura/Ryou Bakura or Theif King Bakura/Ryou Bakura, Naruto - Naruto or Team 7 centric gen
Harry Potter/Voldemort or Tom Riddle
Harry Potter/Lucius Malfoy
Harry Potter/Draco Malfoy
Hermione Granger/Ron Weasly
Hermione Granger/Severus Snape
Harry Potter/Luna Lovegood
Harry Potter/Hermione Granger
Neville Longbottom/Luna Lovegood
Ginny Weasly/Dean Thomas
Voldemort is my favourite character in the books. And I simply had to go over to HP/LV because HP/DM had become so terrible boring most of the time. Not denying that there are some great HP/DM out there but HP/LV really is far more intense most of the time. Not to mention HP and LV:s whole "soul bound enemies" thing, you can have so much fun with it. I like these unlikely parings (which would not happen in a million years i canon) because they give the story a extra twist which a fic doesn't get with the standrad parings. But if the ship is built on non con I rather read a gen or het fic, I just detest ugly, dark and angsty rape fics. I can read fics with Harry in a straight relasionship as long as it's not the main plot of the story or the story has some other redeeming quality. In that case I prefere Luna over the other girls. But I must admit that straight is still mutch better then gay with some male background character. I also loath fics where Harry is potrayed as weak and a total pussover - Harry should not be anything but an equal in any relationship.
I also like fics where Harry is Salazar Slytherin reincarnated, travels back in time or actually uses his brain instead of letting Hermione think for him. For Gods sake! He have an evil and power full Dark Lord followers after him. He could at least but some real effort in his schoolwork and not slack so much.
Southern Vampire Mysteries
I have counted on those two ending up with each other sooner or later since the start of the second book. Things have been going in that direction slowly but surley for quiet some time. Let's hope it dosn't get ruined for some stupid reason. 2013: *Sigh, and there that romance goes downhill.*
Sometimes I have to wonder if the fandom is so popular because there is so much to improve on. And mock it in crossovers. *smirks*
Lately I have changed my mind a bit about the side characters. I have come across some really good fanfiction about the rest of the Cullen family. I didn't really take much interest in them before since Meyer never really elborated that much on their personalities or let them in all that much, to take part in the action. But when people write good fanfiction centering on them instead of the faintly boring Edward/Bella/Jacob action you realise that they have rather interesting back stories and relationships, that Meyer totally failed to give justice to.
Edward Cullen/Bella Swan
I never really belived in the whole Edward/Bella/Jacob love triangle. It always looked like it would end with Edward/Bella and that a possible romance with Jacob was only tacked on for the sake of drama. Then came the strange and rather disturbing fourth book and the feelings between the two of them were sudenly dead - to instead be replaced with the more then slightly wrong Nessie twist. I don't read Edward/Bella fan fiction for the sake of romance but for the comedy fics or the darker grittier ones.
I enjoy a slightly darker potrayed Edward opppsed to a totally sappy and romantic Edward. Beacuse Edward is certainly not a saint and I don't consider him particullary heroic. Come one, the guy went on an human diet for years when he knew other ways. We don't see him caring that much about humans, esspecially not after having read their minds for deceads - must have seen a lot of rather disturbing things. Plus he has some rather creepy habits don't you think? I also enjoy a more active and incharge Bella - Edward can't be the only worthweil thing in her life.
Can be good for a more dramatic and action filled romance fanfic
I enjoy Alice/Jasper most of the Cullen pairings.
The Phantom of the Opera
Erik/Original Female Character
E/C is usually my favourite but sometimes I needed a break from it and then I read E/OFC. But it has got to be a type of OFC that hasn't written to death already - there is a limit how tragic an OC:s past is allowed too be. Eric needs somebody too cheer him up a bit - not somebody too endlessly trade voes with.
Artemis Fowl/Holly Short
If there is any romance in the fic I prefere it to be A/H. In general I only read stories where the focus lies on their adventours and the plot rather then on the romance only. After all nobody started to read the books because it was a love story. I want to see action and Artemis brains at work not fluffy cuteness.
Fist few books rocked, the last ones meh
Damon Salvatore/Bonnie McCullough
Used to be very hard too find any good fanfiction with this pairing so it was always a real treat when you did.
It is better now after The Return series and Evensong. I don't dignify The Hunters & The Salvation with Canon status.
I'd like to see more and deeper exploration of Bonnies powers more often in fanfiction.
Elena Gilbert/Stefan Salvatore
Meredith Sulez/Alaric Saltzman
The Dreseden Files
Here I actually prefere there to be as little romance as possible. I have never been a fan of Harry/Murphy or anything else and reading it bores me to tears. I want action, drama and mystery with a splash of humor. Nothing else.
Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit & Silmarillion
Thorin Oakensheild/Bilbo Baggins
Melkor/Sauron aka Morgoth/Sauron
Phobs take on Melkor and Mairon went and made this my newest OTP
Susan Sto-Helit/Jonathan Teatime
A song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones
They are such contrasts too each other. Plus Sesshoumaru is extremly cool and unbelievably beautiful, I am in love with his hair. And not too forget my favourite character in the series. The bad thing with many of these fics is that Sesshoumaru comes accross as far to sweet and fluffy - both things he is NOT. An ultra romantic and coniderate Sesshoumaru is not Sesshoumaru any more but an Sesshoumaru shaped clone. He is more intresting with his original personality (which of course can be built on). Beacuse it gets way boring when authors make them get together in unrealistic or emberasly cute ways. (I have had to turn my eyes away and hit the back-key in pure emberassment sometimes.)
Sure, I rote for InuYasha and Kagome in the actual manga but find the pairing far to boring to write or read fan fiction about.
(female!)Ranma Saotome/Ryouga Hibiki
It is a bit strange. In this fandom I most of the time like yuri better then yaoi. Which is a total turnabout from my usual tastes were I hardly care a wit about yuri. I just can't for the life of me see a male Ranma with another male, maybe switching between the sexes but not strictly male. Ranma's curse certainly is interesting and I would not want too see him cured of it.
I enjoy them as a pair as long as it dosn't get too sweet and sappy since that would ruin half the fun.
I just had a starteling thought: I actually enjoy the master - servant dynamic. Mayby beacuse it is canon and/or dosn't come across as totally icky. Something which often happen when authors try too write it in fandoms which dosn't usually have it. I know I usually loat it when I come across it in other fandoms.
Usagi Tsukino/Mamoru Chiba aka Serenity/Endymion
Their past lives have made up my mind now and forever. Truth too be told I havn't actually seen very much of the show past season 1 and never read the manga, so I tend too stick with fics transpiring in the first season. Most of my knowledgend of the series comes from fanfiction and Wikipedia.
Minako Aino/Kunzite aka Sailor Venus/Kunzite
This pairing have become a hit of mine. I enjoy the whole Senshi/Generals thingy but it is those two that most of my focus is on.
Big favourite. Very good as long as you work with or around the whole Kira vs L thing. Just don't ignore it or move it down without regard to their personalitys.
They are both lying, manipulating bastards who are just so fucking perfect together. I am not saying that they don't have any softer sides but turning them into cute fluffballs full of sweetness, suger and sunshine just ruins the whole thing and makes me want too puke. I like them the way they are. L balances Light in a way the females in his life can't - you have seen his attitude with Misa and Takada: the lack of any real respect, how they fall under his control. The fact is that he wouldn't be able too pull that kind of shit whith L without L returning the favor or at least confronting him on it. Also this is one of the only fandoms with a pairing I can seriouly enjoy reading dub-con sex about - not total non con but still a change of pace in my usual tastes.
And you can have so much fun with ethics, philosofy and the concept of justice in this fandom, don't you think?
I also can't help too feel that all too many L/Light writers totally diss Misa and gives her far too little credit. Sure I don't like her that much myself but in a story full of people like L, Light, Near and Mello it might not be strange if she comes across as stupid in comperision, anybody does. That cute and somewhat ditzy attitude is an image which has made her extremley succesfull as an idol and model - she is in 18, she stars in a movie with one of the most wellknow actors/singers in Japan - you can't say she is not good at her job. Sure she screws up big in some regards but she also manage to pull some rather smart and cunning things off.
Yami Bakura/Ryou Bakura
Theif King Bakura/Ryou Bakura
I have a major problem with a large number of the fics centered around this ship. The mixing of love and abuse. There is nothing romantic or in any way sweet about abusive realasionships. And it makes for totally fucked up beyond belief hurt/comfort. So why, oh why do I time upon time come upon romance fics with Yami Bakura beating the shit out of Ryou? And what is the point of all that physical abuse when Bakura needs Ryous body? And if so is not the case any longer in the fic and they have separete existances then Ryou could get the hell out of there or Yami/Atem could kick Bakuras ass without worrying about Ryous wellbeing. If you want too write a fic where Yami Bakura gleefully torrments Ryou mentally/physically/emotinally/or whatever go ahead but for god's sake don't try to write a tendershipping story at the same time.
Yami(Atem)/Anzu Mazaki/Yugi Mouto - threesome, not lovetriangel.
Katsuya Jonouchi/Mai Kujaku
Marik Istar/Yami Marik
Edward Elric/Roy Mustang
Himura Kenshin/Kamiya Kaoru
Sagara Sanosuke/Takani Megumi
Shinomori Aoshi/Makimachi Misao
Naruto Uzumaki/Sasuke Uchiha
Naruto/Sasuke/Sakura - threesome, not lovetriangel.
Itachi Uchiha/Naruto Uzumaki
Shunsui Kyōraku/Jūshirō Ukitake
Shunsui Kyōraku/Jūshirō Ukitake /Nanao Ise - threesome, not lovetriangel.
Ichigo Kurosaki/Uryuu Ishida
Ichigo Kurosaki/Byakuya Kuchiki
Gin Ichimaru/Rangiku Matsomotu
Zaraki Kenpachi/Retsu Unohana
Toshiro Hitsugaya/Karin Kurosaki
Uryuu Ishida/Orihime Inoue
Ulquiorra Schiffer/Orihime Inoue
Rukia Kuchiki/Renji Abarai
Ichigo Kurosaki/Rukia Kuchiki
Kisuke Uruhara/Yoruichi Shihoin
Katekyo Hitman Reborn
Not that into romance here but if i read it will be:
Free! Iwatobi Swimclub
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Once Upon A Time
Rumpelstilskin/Belle aka Mr Gold/Belle
Bonnie Bennet/Damon Salvatore
Elena Gilbert/Stefan Salvatore
Caroline Forbes/Tylor Lockwood
Avatar - The Last Airbender
Zuko/Toph Bei Fong
They really had tension going there.
There aren't really anything else there which could catch my fancy.
Gone with the wind
Rhett Butler/Scarlett O'Hara
Simply classic. Preferably set during the book/movie instead of after.
Imothep/Anck Su Namun
Beacuse "Death is only the beginning."
Leia Organa/Han Solo
I don't read this very often. I have only seen the movies and have never read the comics.
Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Sweeney Todd/Mrs Lovett
I read some Sweeney Todd fics from time to time. But almost only with Todd/Lovett pairing. Sometimes something Johanna centric - I like fics that explore her possible mental instabilitys.
Marvel: Avengers/Thor/Iron Man/Captain America etc ( Norse Mythology)
Darcy Lewis/James "Bucky" Barnes
James "Bucky" Barnes/Steve Rogers
Final Fantasy VII
Zack Fair/Arith Gainsborough
Star Wars: KOTR
My thoughs on some topics in fanfiction (will get added on and filled out as time goes by, you are welcome too give me suggestions and points)
1. Rape/non-con - Gross and ugly. Is in no way sexy and not something you can actually base a ship on. If it is necessary for the rest of the plot I will read and get it over with as fast as possible and hope it won't be too graphic. But why, oh why must so many fanfiction writers use rape to give a character a past trauma or include it in tourture scences? People can be evil and corrupt bastards without sexually assulting their victims.
2. Incest - Also gross 99 of the time. In some very rare cases have an author made me accept the concept. Incestious rape equals double gross. By incest I include parents, siblings, children, grandparents, aunts/uncles (even by marriage), cousins by first degree and possible second as well, plus godparents. Family for me equals not only blood realations but also the people included in the family in a legal and social sense.
3. Cutting and selfharm - More often then not it comes across as so damn emo in fanfiction that I want too puke. If they feel so damn down they can make an actual suecide attempt or attempt too fix their problems. It takes a great author to actually make it realistic and worth reading in my opinion.
4. Character bashing - I can stand it in limited amounts but take it to far and it gets so damn annoying and it lowers the quality of the fic. It can far to easily lead to terrible OOC, especially if you out of the blue make a character which before was potrayed as nice do a 180 turn without a build up or a logical reason. Sure some characters have less then desireable traits but don't blow it totally out of propotion. And don't be to fast in adding even more of them too make the character appear a misserable, hateful bastard/bitch just beacuse you personaly don't like them.
5. Mpreg - I can't say that I hate it but I am not exactly crazy about it either. It is just that the whole concept fits very badly in many fandoms (not to mention real life). One of the few fandom that I have come across this far that actually can make it work OK is Harry Potter. And even then I usually want condition on the fenomem - it should not be something that happened on accident to a human male. Potions, spells and strange (but explainable) creature heritages I can take but not plain nature. If you absolutly must knock up one of the people in your ship for the sake of the realationship and plot you could always do a gender switch or turn the character into a hermaphrodite. Or you know - have them adopt? Which would be the most natural thing in this situation.
6. Threesome/moresome - Not really a fan of this myself when it comes to my favourite ships. I guess I am someyhing of a romantic at heart. I can be ok with it as long as it is a somewhat stable loving relasionship. Foursomes is a bit to much for my taste and I prefere to skip orgies or constant partnerswitches alltogether. The exeption might be humor centred harem fics where the maincharacter by a myrriad of strange and funny twists collect himself a harem. I am not nearly as picky when it comes down to the side pairings even if I have certain preferences.
7. PWP - I have found that there is a limit of how much porn I can read before I simply grow bored. In the end I would take the fic with a great plot and no porn before the one stuffed with porn but no plot what so ever. Some stories manages too be very sensual without even including sex scences.
8. Teacher/Student realationships - I don't really like the dynamics of this kind of realasionship. The teacher are both in a position of power and have an adult responsibility to their students, which lies cloose enough to that of a parent that it often sets of my incest sqicks by proxy.
9. Underage relationships - Well it depends. In the country I come from the age of constent is 15. So I am not really going to care all that much if the characters in the story are that age or older. It is not like I don't think that people younger than that can't be interested in sex and be in a romantic realationship but I am not really that keen on reading fullblown sex scence staring preteens. Age differences don't bother me in fanfiction (real life can be another story), I can do 15 years/18 plus years but like hell I am going to read something like 12 years/18 plus years - now people that people is called statutory rape or child molestion. In other words - pedophelia so NOT cool. In general I find it nice if the characters are a bit older (over 18) since it makes for a better mature and grown up relasionship.
10. Age differences - As I mentioned above I have no problem with age differences in fiction at least, reality might take a fair bit more consideration. Many of my favourite ships have age differences ragning from 5 years to ca 1000 years. This my have its root in the fact that I read a lot off vampire litterature as a teenager and that genre are full of relasionships with significant age gaps.
11. Revenge fic - I tend to be a bit leary around this kind of fic. OOC, bashing and angst follow all to often in the revenge fic's footsteps. You have to be very careful with the potrayal of the characters, both for the revenge seeker and those he/she seeks venegance against. It is especially important when so many revenge fics deal with the betrayal of the characters former friends/allies. You should strive for a solid and logical background if you plan to go in that direction. It feels strange if non of the characters friends speak up on the characters behalf or try to help him/her. It feels stange if every one have been conspireing agaist the character. Then you should also question if this character even belive in venegance and if so to what degree? You dont have to ruin another persons life to get even, for example.
12. Highschool AU/All Human AU - I guess some might be well written but I who in general read/watch different media beacuse the fantasy/magic element in them find it rather dissapointing to read about the characters living more or less normal lives. It kind of defeates the point of the story if all the defining points are stripped from it.
13. "Deserving love" - Just beacuse a character have had a hard time or done a lot off good things this does not automatically mean that another character are required to love them. Just beacuse they deserve to be loved like any other person it is not a specific characters duty to love them, no matter what some shippers sometimes seams to belive. And just beacuse someone comes over from the evil/bad/dark side to the good/light
14. Genderbending/Genderswitch - I often enjoy this in many of my fandoms, not all of them but many. I generaly read male to female switches. For some reason I mostly do not find female to male switches as interesting. The switches I most often read is Harry (HP), Tsuna (KHR) and Naruto (Naruto).
15. Yaoi/Yuri/Het - I like both yaoi and het, with maybye a slight emphasis on het. I have nothing against yuri but does not find it very interesting most of the time. Proberbly beacuse I am a mainly straight female.