Poll: Would you be interested in seeing character profiles for the Sonic characters (my versions of them) at my blog? Vote Now!
Author has written 13 stories for Road Rovers, Sonic the Hedgehog, Hanna-Barbera, Danger Rangers, Garfield, Extinctioners, Jungle Book, Transformers/Beast Wars, and Disney.
It's pretty obvious that I'm not punctual when it comes to updating this. For story updates, notes, and previews, go to my blog. It's updated a lot more frequently: theoasisv20 [dot] blogspot [dot] com/
I'm just your friendly neighborhood writer. The stories I write tend to be for canons that are either fairly obscure or just not very popular. I also tend to focus on characters that are generally maligned/or ignored by fans, and there are several original fan characters created by myself and others who'll appear in certain stories. I know many people out there (well, at least in fandoms that have fans who embrace good writing) hate OFCs, and truthfully I can understand why, what with all the bad self-inserts and Mary Sues/Marty Stus out there. But I treat both OFCs and the canon cast with the same respect, and like to think that my OFCs are fully-fleshed out characters with real weaknesses, flaws, and strengths. Also, I am one of “those” people, who, if I notice a problem within canon – whether it's a plot hole, an inconsistency of some kind, a character(s) who’s just a little too perfect, etc., then I will comment on and try to address the problem in my work. I don’t feel doing so makes me any less of a “true fan” or something. Honestly, most media isn’t perfect.
Some writing-related pet peeves of mine's include characters acting out of character, infidelity being shown in a positive light, and character bashing, and I make a conscious effort to avoid such things in my own work. Please feel free to review -- I wholeheartedly accept constructive criticism, as I'm always looking to improve my storytelling skills. Flames and just plain moronic reviews, however, are not welcome and will be deleted without response.
Concerning beta reading and reviews: Since this situation has happened to me for the third time now, I've decided to put up a warning. Don't ask me to beta or review your story, then get all upset and defensive or flat-out ignore me when I point out any errors or the like in it. I am not here to kiss anyone's butt, especially if your story's rife with errors. It's a waste of my time, so I suggest you find somebody else to give you all-positive reviews.
Otherwise, I don't have a problem beta-ing. However, there are things that can put me off a story, so I decided to list them here just so people can be aware of them before asking me to look at their story.
1) Stories lacking character growth/or development. For example (and because I see this kind of thing so much in this fandom), Road Rovers stories where the humor consists of gags at Blitz’s expense and him getting beaten up by Colleen/or your OFC, and the Rovers are the same at the end of the story (or stories) as they were in the beginning. Fanfiction is our chance to explore these characters and take them beyond tired gags and limited writing.
2) Character bashing. A huge, huge no. I don’t respect people who do this or support it.
3) Characters that suddenly become god-like or overpowered, especially if it’s for a poorly explained reason.
4) When the characters’ personalities do a complete 180, and they act OOC to the point where they might as well be totally different characters.
5) Excessive gore, language, or angst.
6) The death of any main character. It depends on how it's done though, but I'm still super-picky about this kind of thing.
7) Harem stories, or stories that treat female characters as prizes to be won by men. Just... sexism period.
8) Pairing feral animals (IE: Balto, Scooby Doo, etc.) with humans.
9) I don’t really like reading about characters I dislike, unless something unique and interesting is being done with them.
10) Pairing off children and teenagers with adults. That's just gross, guys.
11) Incest. Thanks, but I'd rather be attacked by killer bees then read about an incestuous coupling.
12) It's gotten to where I've become very picky over how characters (and certain ones in particular) are interpreted, because I tend to see a lot of interpretations I dislike and disagree with. This is especially true with the Sonic The Hedgehog fandom. If I don't care for your approach to a character I like, then I will politely decline reading your story.
So yeah, if you want, PM me about your fic, and we'll talk and see if I can't help you out.
If you can't stand it when authors have ridiculously long profiles because they think it's cute to copy and paste every witticism, list, and statistic into their profile, then please, by all means copy and paste this sentiment into what I'm sure is a blissfully short profile.
Other sites of interest:
Ink Stained Veins: z13 [dot] invisionfree [dot] com/inkstainedveins/index [dot] php?
deviantART: 1unicorn-on-the-cob [dot] deviantart [dot] com/
Regarding anonymous reviews: Since we're technically not supposed to reply to them within the stories themselves anymore, I will be answering any questions or the like over at my blogspot account instead.