Author has written 40 stories for Pirates of the Caribbean, and Stargate: SG-1.
About me --
Admittedly not a story-planner. Plots & ideas take form in my head. Vivid images formulate into action and dialogue without direction. By the time I get to the keyboard, the floodgates are bursting and I better be fast to capture and structure what pours out before it overwhelms me.
I'm a Big C survivor, Born Again Christian, Gators fan (love Tebow!) and Judgment Recovery Consultant student making the move from Jacksonville, FL to an Atlanta, GA area in 2010. I love to write (self-taught at age 14), crochet and paint, but I've also learned the monetary fun of freebie trading and currently live on - sigh - disability.
I am still re-familiarizing myself with my own fics and want to start sharing them again. Also getting re-acquainted with one lunatic, grammar-mangling entity. Oh, yes, Jack was loads of fun - sword fights at my desk or racing around the Pearl's deck in a storm as I tried to sleep! At times, I admitted to delirious images of throttling him with his own beaded braids for some peace!
NOTES OF WORTHY: 5 more PotC pieces soon coming off the drawing board - 1 more of Stargate SG-1. Also SoJ's Price of Resurrection was pulled and replaced by the Seas of Justice Chronicles for better structuring purposes.
My writing background - I am by no means an expert, but European History was my favorite subject in college. While stationed in Spain and Scotland, I traveled Britain, taking opportunities to immerse myself in the great people, traditions and cultures - many times even as a yankee tourist. What practical sailing protocols I know, however, came from the Navy. For contributions, I accredit the History Channel & Discovery Channel's pirate specials, although living in Europe on and off for a decade didn't hurt. And of course, PotC's highly entertaining, albeit creative license of the real deal - the infamous Golden Age buccaneers.
Point of interest: Edward 'Blackbeard' Teach is entangled somewhere in our New England family tree, but no clue how to find him.
My writing style - Short and playful - true to PotC. As a story demands, I can go edgy with suspense, intrigue and mystery. I'm also inspiration-driven and may take-it-another-mile-if-it's-hot. I tend to twist old nautical myths into the supernatural. Oh, and I love to wedge a small dose of irreverent humor into the tiniest dramatic opening to keep the Disney rating if not flavor.
My writing choices - Again, keeping it firm on the PotC Disney canvas. No slash, icky massacres, gender-switching, bed-hopping, silly fan-girl universe-changing or lazy pretend-it's-me and/or I'm-perfection Mary-Sues. No lame lost & found family members nor pointless & confusing non-canon offspring invasions. And a big ol' nixity, nix on gratuitous Pearl sinking! I prefer my readers wetting themselves in near hysterics than reaching tearfully for a Kleenex box, savvy?
6 Rules of My Writing Thumb:
1) I don't do Will as the Evil Incarnate, Norrington as Commodore Stiff-As-A-Board or Ana-Marie as a She-Wolf. Jones, however, is still 'Ol Fish-face', Tia's the 'voodoo' priestess, but Barbossa and Cutler 'Cold-Fish' Beckett are up for grabs moniker-wise.
2) No, no, no, I won't 'dumb down' Jack's speech to ordinary seaman. Nothing will put the breaks on my reading faster than to put him verbally out-of-character. Yes, he's guilty of grammatical murder, but in his uniqueness, he refrains from the pedestrian 'ye'. He was probably about the only one who did not ever use it in all 3 films.
3) I don't address Jack's father (or any child he may have fathered) as Sparrow. Bruckheimer made it clear that ownership of that name belongs to only one pirate which he presumably adopted after the Wench's sinking. Besides, you could get shot for saying that to Captain Teague!
4) I loosely focus on a specific time-line for story structure - the early to mid 1700's - a time factor that was more or less confirmed in the AWE DVD and historically supported as the era in which the notorious Golden Age of Piracy flourished - mythical beasties notwithstanding.
5) I do use certain stories for messages. For example, it could easily be one more unimaginative, badly constructed variation on those pitifully overdone Jack-has-a-daughter fics before I'll blast back and whack you over the head with a Jack is sterile parody!
6) I don't flame. I'd rather help out writers forcing readers to wade through a promising story full of inaccuracies. When in doubt, pull a script out - or Google it. Don't be lazy! Disney hired historical researchers to do all the painstaking work for you!!
Thus begins my up-to-date fiction list. Please feel free
to ask me about them - except where the bloody 'ell are they
or when will they be bloody done.
01) A PIRATE’S LIFE NO MORE – Jack Sparrow/Captain Groves
Post -CotBP Novel - (Angst/Humor/Intrigue/Adventure)
Trapped aboard the HMS Forthright, an injured Jack must ally himself with the captain, outwit Norrington, a crafty smuggler's lady, and solve the mystery of the octal archaic. His best chance to escape, however, comes from an unexpected source.
This is Jack and Groves engaged in an unimaginable game of wits for each one's survival.
02) MISPLACED HEARTS - Elizabeth Turner
Post-AWE - (Angst/Mystery/Humor/Adventure)
Will believed that his new wife was in a safe, hidden place during his absence on the Flying Dutchman, but places don’t always stay hidden or safe when something of known value is at stake.
When Jack shows up - there goes the peaceful neighborhood of East Deepfall.
03) WHICH WAY LIES TRUE - Jack Sparrow
Post-AWE - (Angst/Humor/Intrigue/Adventure)
Jack's plans to find the Fountain of Youth hit a major snag while out at sea. Stranded on an island during a bad squall with a homicidal dinghy, Jack's survival skills are tested, abused and tossed out with the tide.
There are subtle clues throughout as to where Jack really is - and it's the last place he would expect.
DISCLAIMER NOTE: Elements of Seas of Justice are interwoven into A Pirate's Life No More, Misplaced Hearts, and Which Way Lies True for the purposes of foundation, entertainment, development and/or continuity. As written, they do not presume to replace PotC's Disney content.
HUGE-ISH THANK YOU for reading, reviewing, and hopefully enjoying!
01. BETTER THAN YOU HAVE TRIED – Post-CotBP. (Angst/Drama/Disaster) Port Royal -June 1669. While Norrington is at sea, an arrogant Gillette is certain that nothing can stop him from hanging Sparrow. Think again, lieutenant.
02. CHANCES IN TIME- AWE. (Angst) Jack contemplates the only choices allowed him by time in the Locker.
03. COULD I LIE TO THE BOY?
04. DENYING & SNEAKY DISCLAIMING BOOK OF FATHERHOOD.
01. DROP OF A COIN – Post-CotBP. (Angst/Humor) Jack finds an unwanted reminder of his brief immortality hidden aboard the Pearl.
05. HAVE I HAD MY RUM TODAY?
06. PONDERINGS & OBSERVATIONS OF AN INJURED PIRATE.
07. PLETHORA OF UNREALISM - Post-CotBP parody (Angst/Humor) Jack admits to Gibbs that it’s time he had more stories written about him - but what should they be like? With apologies to Twilight and musicals in general.
08. PREVAILING INSANITY.
09. TOMORROW I'LL KNOW - Post-CoBP. (Angst) Jack realizes there is something between he and Lizzie, but no clue what that is.
10. THERE’S A PIRATE IN MY GARDEN – Pre-CotBP. (Angst/Humor) Downtrodden seamstress Charlotte Winterfield tripped over a pair of wet boots under the bushes one rainy Havana night - and no one in town believed her.
11 WHEN LAST I SAW MY BOY – Pre-CotBP. (Angst/Humor/Drama) (First mentioned in APLNM) For a free drink, Captain Teague tells an outrageous tale of tragedy and revenge to Able Seaman Gibbs in a Tortuga tavern, and then makes an unusual request.
12. WHEN SPARROW IS IN THE GAME.
01. HER LOVE IN ABSENTIA.
02. IF I KNEW A WAY BACK - Post-DMC (Angst) Lizzie longs for the simpler days when Jack was only a charming nuisance in her life.
03. REACHING HIM.
04. SUCH A PRETTY PIN – Post-CotBP. (Humor) Lizzie notices something of minor value missing from her person and she has a pretty good idea where it went during all the excitement of the hanging.
05. SUN IN HER EYES.
06. WHEN HE WAS NOTORIOUS.
01. I KNOW THAT LOOK.
02. RETURNING HOME.
03. TAKING INTO ACCOUNT -CotBP. (Angst) Will's thoughts as he and Elizabeth watch the Black Pearl escape from Port Royal.
04. TAKING IT BACK.
05. WHAT HAVE I WON?- AWE (Angst) Will won't accept that love must be a contest if it's the true thing.
01. BY TOUCH.
02. CAN WE TALK?
03. FOR WANTING OF A SHIP.
04. GONE DOWN WITH THE PEARL.
05. HOW LONG A WAIT - AWE. (Angst) Jack knows that it's only a matter of time before he makes that one mistake that will betray him.
06. I KNOW WHAT I WANT.
07. LOST YOUR INVITATION – CotBP. (Angst/Drama) (First mentioned in APLNM) From his Dauntless cell, a disconsolate Jack tries to put distance between himself and Lizzie to keep her safe from retribution. And who is listening in the shadowed companionway?
08. MORE THAN CAN BE SEEN.
09. NOT AMMUNITION IS THE SILVERWARE.
10. WE'RE SQUARE.
01. I HATE PIRATES.
02. I'VE COME TO SAVE YOU!
03. KISS HER NOW, FOOL.
04. LOST TO THE NIGHT’S WIND – AWE. (Angst/Drama) Will and Lizzie have a tense encounter on the Pearl's deck while in Davy Jones Locker and someone unseen overhears them. It may not be who you think it is.
01. GIRD YOUR LOINS, MAN!- Post-AWE. (Angst/Humor) For Will, there are those battles where Jack can prove less than helpful.
02. HE'S NOT WITH ME! - CotBP (Angst/Humor) A playful take off of Jack's meeting with Gibbs and an easily spooked blacksmith.
03. TO THE FRIENDS WE NEVER WERE.
01. NO PROMISES MADE.
02. ONCE WAS QUITE ENOUGH - Post-AWE (Angst/Humor) There are certain things Jack will only allow to happen to him one time.
03. Two-Minute CotBP Primer/GIRL MEETS PIRATE.
04. Two-Minute DMC Primer/GIRL MEETS VEXED PIRATE – More narrative silliness.
05. Two-Minute AWE Primer/GIRL MEETS DEAD PIRATE – Still more narrative silliness.
Elizabeth & the Jack Factor- I felt the chemistry betwixt Jack and Lizzie on Rum-runner’s Isle scorched the screen, but the obstacles seem too great - obstinate denial from both parties being a major bump. It appears that Lizzie is both repulsed and amazed that she has feelings for Jack, but with Will safely in her heart, she dismisses them. On the other hand, it seems to infuriate and vex Jack that despite of what he knows she's like, he should have feelings for her - verbal and physical distance apparently the only way he's found to tolerate it.
Writing Jack – As I see it, it's important to accept his pivotal anti-hero role or you can't do his character justice. Clever Johnny molded an outrageous paradox in Sparrow; a charming contradiction in a red bandanna, if you like, impossible to despise and not half as rotten as he'd like you to believe he is. On the surface, Jack is quirky, articulate (what kind of sailor uses the word superfluous?), cunningly calculating, sharp-witted, and secretive to a perilous fault. Beneath, he’s a driven, tormented man, distrusting and wary of anyone – take heed, Lizzie - getting close. He seems to find solace in his self-confessed, all-encompassing mistress - the sea - aboard his treasured transitory Black Pearl.
Portraying Jack - He has an interesting past - branding, betrayals, mutiny, marooning and probable paternal estrangement. And that’s just what’s known of him. So unless you craftily ply him with much rum, Jack likely won’t divulge what else may have left indelible scars upon his bartered soul. Over the years, no doubt, he would need to cultivate a hard, self-protective edge to survive in his dangerous world. Cleverly masked by playful humor and endearing manner, it surfaces, striping all pretense from his being, reminding us that he is, in fact, the legendary infamous Captain Jack Sparrow.
WELCOME TO THE SEAS OF JUSTICE
The majestic sea
makes her own choices, bestows her own favors,
and God help those
what don't respect her greatest power --
to deal out her own
The Beckett family saga.
First introduced in Price of Resurrection, they were a predominant Irish dynasty un-anchored by the loss of influential Bentley Beckett, who profitably ran the Nassau branch of the East India Trading Company for many years in the Caribbean with his eldest son, staid ex-privateer captain, Bennett. Groomed for the job by Bentley, like his father, Bennett could not abide by slavery. Capitalizing upon this fact, Bentley’s exiled French-born wife and mother of younger son, Cutler, conceived an ambitious plan.
Backed by the might of the English Crown, the lady staged a manipulative political ploy to uproot Bennett in favor of installing the weaker, spoiled Cutler. Unbeknownst to Cutler, he’s a pawn, the true power behind him lies in Matriarch Lady Dominique Lieuxbois-Beckett and her secret pact with the King to give England greater control in the Caribbean Sea - in the highly lucrative business of slave transport.
Cutler’s half-sister, Angelia, living with Carroll, Bentley’s younger brother-in-law, was happy away from the politics, believing herself safe from family machinations as her step-mother resided in the royal court. She was unaware, however, that her older sister, Jeannine, died in childbirth thereby ruining Lady Dominque’s bid for an alliance with a well-connected member of London’s aristocracy.
So comfortable was Angelia Harrigan that she failed to reveal her parentage to a young merchant captain whom she nearly trampled with her horse. Upon Cutler’s arrival, however, he yanked her from Carroll to remind her of her privileged birthright. Angelia, convinced that Cutler's mother was responsible for Bennett’s downfall proved to be a more elusive pawn then any of her siblings.
Also, in the SoJ universe, senior merchant captains Jackson Teague and William Turner are loyal to the EITC until the aftermath of the Wench’s sinking forces them into treason. Turner's evident choices opened Price of Resurrection, but Jack’s long-absent father doesn’t react until his own freedom is affected by Lord Beckett.
DISCLAIMER NOTE: Elements of A Pirate's Life No More, Misplaced Hearts, and Which Way Lies True are interwoven into Seas of Justice for the purposes of foundation, entertainment, development and/or continuity. As written, they do not presume to replace PotC's Disney content.
01) NIGHT PASSING - Bill (Bootstrap)Turner
PreCotBP - (Angst/Intrigue) - Bill Turner's POV- He should have suspected something when his ship nearly rammed a skulking privateer close behind the Wicked Wench in Cuban waters.
02) LADY OF POWER Trilogy -Jack Teague/Cutler Beckett
PreCotBP - (Angst/Romance/Intrigue/Humor) -3 introductory shorts on Cutler Beckett's pivotal foothold in the East India Trading Company bought by the King of England's favor.
Each POV sets the stage for the Seas of Justice chronicles.
WORTHY OF THE CROWN
CONSIDER HIS MARK MADE - Cutler's POV - Beckett suspects that his problems with two other company ships, and his sister's disappearance, can be tracked to the sinking of the Wench and its strangely missing captain.
DRUNKENLY DISCOURTEOUS - Angelia's POV - The crazy young man staggered out into the riding path right in front of her startled horse - what was she to do?
03) SEAS OF JUSTICE Chronicles - Jack Teague/Cutler Beckett
Pre-CotBP- (Angst/Drama/Romance/Humor/Adventure) - A 4-book journey of Jack's fortuitous involvement with Bill Turner, Tia Dalma/Calypso, Davy Jones, Giselle & Captain Barbossa as they bring him closer to his destiny as a pirate.
Book 1/Price of Resurrection - EITC Captain Bill Turner makes a promise to a desperate friend, entangling him in the power struggle of the feuding Beckett family, threatening his life and leaving him in possession of more than one highly-sought prize.
Ch 1 - The Crown's Displeasure
Ch 2 - Turner's Oath
Ch 3 - Remnants of Loyalty
Ch 4 - No Blessing Forthcoming
Ch 5 - Lost to Fire
Ch 6 - Marking A New Course
Book 2/The Lure of Her Call - Jack rescues a mesmerizing 'voodoo' priestess from stoning (first mentioned in WWLT), but Turner has an uneasy feeling that she's after the one thing aboard his ship (see The Crown's Displeasure) that he's been sworn to hide safely away.
Ch 1 - Venturing Off the Path
Ch 2 - Fateful Exchange
Ch 3 - Away From My Heart
Ch 4 - Freedom In Sight
Ch 5 - The Sea Beckons
Book 3/Not His Time - A disguised friend visits imprisoned Jack and offers the despairing youth an unimaginable chance to reclaim his lost ship from the depths with a crab-shaped talisman - but her price might be too costly for a mortal.
Ch 1 - What Man Cannot Hold
Ch 2 - Not As Love Was Before
Ch 3 - The Enchanted Talisman
Ch 4 - Burned Into Memory
Ch 5 - The Silence of Music
Ch 6 - Beacon In The Water
Book 4/Unholy Accord - His ship restored, Jack is recovering in Tortuga when he's challenged by a fearful, but wily sailor to seek revenge against those whom would brand him as a pirate. And then there's that matter of the ever-enticing map of lost Aztec gold.
Ch 1 - Black Masts
Ch 2 - No Town Like Tortuga
Ch 3 - Piece 'O Eight
Ch 4 - Invitation to Plunder
Ch 5 - Wanted for Piracy
Ch 6 - Chasing After The Sparrow
ENGAGED - NOW LEAVING
THE KNOWN WORLD
01) SMALL MEASURE OF VALUE.
S3/Post Shades of Gray (Humor/Angst/Intrigue/Adventure)
Daniel strangely vanishes at the SGC. Missing research from Dr. Jackson's office leads to a startling discovery in his past, a deceptive inside threat and unpleasant wake-up call for his teammates - especially O'Neill.
Part 1/Arc of Light - It almost started out as a normal planetary exploration mission on PCX-388, but then turned strange when it appeared that the whole village was deserted for no evident reason.
Ch 1 - Evacuate Or Get Trampled
Ch 2 - Tag It Or Pack It
Ch 3 - Divide and Confound
Ch 4 - The Stone In The Altar
Ch 5 - Don't Let The Door Hit You
Part 2/Nearby In Faraway Places - Carter makes an incredible discovery after Daniel is injured, but something on the planet is keeping them apart from their other teammates. And back on Earth, the disappearance of Nicholas Ballard is being investigated by his grandson.
Ch 1 - Who Made The Ground Move?
Ch 2 - Offerings and Masses
Ch 3 - 5 Answers To Nobody's Riddle
Ch 4 - Broadcasting Live
Part 3/Can You Say Calvary? - When the Jaffa attacked the village out of nowhere, it didn't feel right, but O'Neill couldn't take chances and sent Daniel to the gate to alert the SGC. While on Earth, Ballard's grandson and an NSA officer get closer to the truth - in a museum.
Ch 1 - No Casualty Extraction
Ch 2 - Coffee With My Collaborations
Ch 3 - The Sneak Technique
--To Be Updated As It Becomes Available --
02) THAT COULD HAVE BEEN NASTY
03) WHAT'S THAT SMELL?
04) STARGATE INTERRUPT-US (Humor) -
Some days, General Hammond can’t seem to get any cooperation in the gate room.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING - PLEASE COME BACK SOON !
Unsafe External Link