Author has written 1 story for Pokémon.
Hey guys! I'm Rockadoodle88! I've been a lurker for about a year before I decided to take a shot at writing. It's a pastime I can always use to escape boredom, especially now when the pandemic keeps us inside. If you're already here, why not take a look at my stories? Note: I NEVER use Lucario or Aura in them. In my opinion, both are overused and aura is a very insignificant part of the anime.
Favorite Pokemon: Eelektross. It's a badass eel with no weaknesses. This thing is freakin' awesome. Politoed is a close second.
Least favorite: Jynx. Why in Arceus's name would they make this a Pokemon.
Name and Age: Classified. Haha
Likes: Video games, animals (hoping to become a zoologist, hit me up for some cool facts about animals you probably haven't heard of before), food (you need food to survive, might as well make that food delicious)
Dislikes: People who boss me around, people who don't believe in climate change (c'mon guys, really?), and Brussel sprouts.
Favorite Pokemon Pairings:
- Amourshipping. One of the most popular, but the dynamic between Ash and Serena is nice. Good job plot writers.
- Altoshipping. I have no reasoning for this one, I just like it.
- Specialshipping. Again the dynamic between Red and Yellow is nice.
- Lagomorphshipping. It's adorable. Come on. You know it is.
I don't really dislike any pairings, all of them are fine... well except for Rayshipping. But besides that they're all good.
Favorite Video Games:
Currently working on: An Adventure Can't Be Planned
Follow Ash's journey as he starts out, not with a Pikachu, or a Squirtle, or a Nidoran, but a Porygon! I'm going to be dedicating a lot of my time to this story to make it really good! So far, I'm proud of how it's going!
Dexter the Porygon2 (Genderless)
Moves: Tackle, Conversion, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Thunder Shock, Psybeam, Conversion 2, Hyper Beam, Agility,
Improvised Moves: Rapid Fire
Petal the Gloom (Male)
Moves: Absorb, Sweet Scent, Acid, Mega Drain, Giga Drain, Growth, Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, Poison Powder, Protect,
Improvised Moves: Spore Gas
Kit the Flareon (Female)
Moves: Tail Whip, Growl, Quick Attack, Swift, Iron Tail, Double Team, Bite, Ember,
Improvised Moves: Quick Tail
Ability: Flash Fire
Moves: Curse, Tackle, Water Gun, Confusion, Disable, Headbutt, Surf, Zen Headbutt, Water Pulse,
Ability: Own Tempo
Moves: Tail Whip, Growl, Headbutt, Bone Club, Leer, Focus Energy, Bonemerang,
Ability: Rock Head
Ideas for Future Stories:
Note: These are IDEAS. They could happen, but they also might not.
A Blank Slate: A story about a Champion who gets amnesia and has to relearn how to be the very best, with completely overpowered Pokemon and allies by his side.
The Uphill Battle: Imagine being the son of one of the best Trainers in the world, but you're known as nothing but a screw-up. Meet Noah Ketchum, son of Ash Ketchum, the legendary Alola Champion. He's the opposite of his dad in a lot of ways, terrible at battling, prone to giving up. But when fate decides to throw Noah into a journey of his own, he must follow his father's footsteps and create a legendary tale of his own. I've made like two other versions of this story that I ended up scrapping. But maybe I'll pick it back up.
The Starwatcher: A Stardew Valley fanfic pairing Maru and the player together.
Big Brained: A Stardew Valley fanatic is dropped into the world of Pelican Town, gets his own farm, and exploits the hell out of everything he can.
Tips for Creating a Fanfic
So you wanna get the creative juices flowing and make your own fanfic, eh? Well I've got some tips for you. I'm no genius, but I've created a few fanfics in the past as a trial and error experiment. Here are the things I've learned.
- Firstly, you have to come up with a plot that seperates you from the group, makes you stand out. Let's say you want to make a story centered around Ash's journey through the Kanto region. How can you make yourself stand out? Maybe include some romance? A new take on the Pokemon World? A different starter? The choice is yours. If you're frustrated that there aren't enough fanfics of a certain pairing or genre, make one!
- Second, its ok to get inspiration from other fanfics. Even the best of the best get their skills somewhere. Heck, Challenger shares a lot of elements with Traveler (if you don't know what these fics are just sort by Favorites. They're some of the most popular Pokemon fics out there). As long as you aren't outright copying something without permission, which is against Terms of Service anyways, you're fine.
- Third, there's more to the story than progressing the plot. Character development. Foreshadowing. Expanding on the world you have crafted in your story. Not everything has to happen in one chapter. This isn't a soap opera.
- Fourth, make sure to split up your story into sentences and paragraphs. Check your grammar too, Walls of texts are NOT enjoyable to read. Very long sentences are also not enjoyable to read. Walls of texts with long sentences and terrible spelling and grammar are very painful. There are tools out there to help you, whether it be programs to check grammar and spelling, websites to show you how to use certain punctuation, or translators.
- Fifth, if you're going to make a fanfic, you need to at least know what you're talking about. Do some research on the game and lore. If you're deviating from the canon, make sure that you say that.
- Sixth, use indirect characterization. It's better to build up a character's personalities, traits, strengths, and weaknesses as they go through different experiences throughout the story. Outright telling the readers that Character X has this personality and Character Y is this is boring. Unless these traits don't really take place in any way throughout the story, its better to build up your characters throughout your chapters.
- Seventh and probably the most important. If you're not enjoying what you're writing, stop it. Writing a story shouldn't feel like a chore, or some sort of homework. It should be used merely as a pastime, an experience to share with others. It should make you happy.
Anyways, those are my tips. Hope these help anyone who decides to take a peek at my profile.