Author has written 8 stories for Outsiders.
What you need to know: I'm 19, middle of 3 girls, Australian, absolutely and completely right-brained, absolutely and completely dedicated to the world of writing and imagination, for only there does true freedom exist. I'm finally updating my profile for the first time in like 3 years. I used to think I was like Ponyboy from The Outsiders, but now I'm much more like Steve (Hey, I'm sure he was a cool guy. Show me a 14 year old who had the correct opinion of every single person in his life). I keep getting Two-Bit or Soda in personality quizzes though, because they ask stupid things like "Do you enjoy comedy?" and "Are you blonde?" Who doesn't enjoy comedy? They do ask if you can get drunk without alcohol, though - that'll be where I keep getting Soda, though I'm not like him at all. I never drink alcohol - never have and never will. My friends all say I'm the drunkest at the party though :)
I do tend to write extremely random and useless things in my author's notes and reviews, review replies and PMs... pretty much anywhere really. I hate romance of any and all types. I'm a feminist and am quite frankly scared of men, due to constant harrassment at school as well as having a near absent father in my early years - with no brothers or male relatives around it took me until I reached school age to even have a concept of "him". I have a great family though - my dad was absent only because we were really, really broke when I was growing up. I still don't see him on weekdays often, but we're getting there.
I don't know whether I'm a Soc or a greaser. All my life we've been on a constant see-saw between wealth and poverty (thankfully in the wealth part now). When I was born we were very poor since my dad was sacked for refusing to commit government fraud (very dodgy company). I still forget shoes as we used to live in a town where no one could afford them. So there, I guess I'm a greaser at heart.
Feel free to message me; I'm friendly.
Things you should Never, Ever, Ever Do in a Fanfic:
1. The obvious: Mary Sues. Just, just don't. People have spelled out the reasons a thousand times, I am not going to do it again.
2. Never ever ever set a minimum review count for an update. It makes you look like a conceited tool; it really does. Personally, I make it a point NOT to review a story that has that anywhere in it, even if I like it. Requesting reviews is okay. Saying you won't update unless you get ten... not okay.
3. They did not have iPods in the 60s. Nor did anybody own a computer, especially greasers. Hell, poor children today don't own computers! There were no microwaves either. I've made the mistake before of putting a remote control in a story, but the reason for that was that I'm Australian and our TVs were so far behind America's - we didn't get colour TV until the mid seventies, and that was only for the very rich. I'm sixteen and my family only bought our own colour TV when I was eleven. So I just figured "Okay, chuck TV times forward a zillion miles" and thought America would have remotes by then even if we didn't. But still, do your research.
4. Never skip rereading a chapter unless you have a bloody good reason. What I mean is: proofread anything you write. I've only ever skipped that once when I honest to God had no time, but at least I'm confident in my grammar. If you ain't, recheck it a LOT.
5. If you are not American (or, in general, Canadian) CHECK YOUR LINGO. I am Australian, and if it were up to me my fics would be filled with "Mum" and "bloody" and "bollocks" and "shag". In fact, they are full of that until I do the proofreading. Seriously, the boys are American. They don't say shag. Also, the boys drive on the right hand side of the road. I don't even know my lefts and rights well at all since I'm ambidextrous, and I have to think really long and hard when I write anything pertaining to the side of the road they're on. You gotta try too.
6. If you ARE American, never ever EVER chuck your own political opinions into the story and hope people will be blinded by patriotism enough to ignore it. We're not. Soda would never think it all right to kill another man. He would not think war is a good cause. That's why almost all of us say he was drafted. This is my pet gripe: so many wonderful writers ruin their work with random dedications to the war for "keeping us safe". Sorry guys, you aren't being invaded.
7. The boys don't sing Flo Rida songs.
8. The word of. I'm sorry, this is also directed at Americans, but the word "of" is used incorrectly so often, and I really think there are very few of you who know what it means. See that sentence there? "Of" was used correctly: "few of you". It is NOT used to write "I got off of the horse". Only one preposition is needed. The correct sentence is "I got off the horse". Why directed at Americans? I don't know what's going on in schools, but I have only ever seen that in American literature, not just in fanfics, but in published books such as Twilight also. If you are getting your grammar from Twilight, STOP. Meyer has some of the worst grammar I've ever seen, and I attend school.
9. Character descriptions. Either state clearly in the AN that you will be using the movie's version of the boys if that's easier for you, that's fine, but otherwise, read the bloody book.
10. As a girl who is failing school and has been for a while, Soda does not know ANY algebra at ALL. Even in the novel I felt his letter was a little too correct - he lived in a time when, if not for his parents, I doubt he'd be literate. I've read many fics in which Soda is described as dumb or not going well in school, then proceeds to talk about math concepts I don't understand with ease, or else uses big words. He doesn't use big words. I know us on this site are, in general, smarter than the average population (a number of my friends can't even use capitals) and this means we really have to try when it comes to this. I know I have trouble not making him say big words.
11. Names. Darry's name is spelt DARREL, not Darryl, same goes for his dad. I don't care if Spellcheck says it's wrong. Spellcheck and names do NOT mix. I mean, it underlines Ponyboy and Sodapop and Darry and Dally as incorrect, but you know to ignore that. Do the same for Darrel. Steve's last name is spelt RANDLE, NOT Randall. Randle as in handle as in door handle on a car as in Steve likes cars. Two-Bit's last name is spelt MATHEWS, NOT Matthews. Just call him Two-Bit "One T" Mathews. Tim and Curly's last name is spelt SHEPARD, NOT Sheperd, Shepherd, Shephard or any other variation I've seen. Say it with me: "shep- aaarrrd". Johnny is spelt JOHNNY, NOT Jhonny. This one isn't so much of a problem as the others, but some people still need to learn it. Stare at a Johnny Depp poster for a while. He may be older than my father, but it might just work for you. Oh, and the worst misspelling of names I have ever, ever, witnessed: Pony and Soda's names are NOT Pony Boy and Soda Pop. Did you think SE Hinton just made a mistake? And then repeated it five hundred times? No, stupid, it's Ponyboy and Sodapop. One word. I mean, for God's sake, most of you who do this can spell "Swayze" better than you can spell the main character's name. That's just sad.
12. Look ladies, I am a bit of a feminist, but even I know women were still property in the 60s. You know why I'm even alive today? My grandmother was, in the 60s, fired from work because she got married. She was bored, and decided to have children to ease her boredom. It disgusts me, it should disgust you, it should exist in your fic. Can't cope? Me neither. I simply choose not to put major female protagonists in at all. If you want to be a feminist, PLEASE join me in boycotting Axe/Lynx deodorant. Their mindless objectification of women in their commercials is disgusting and offensive, and means I get Axe shoved in my face daily. I put spray on deodorant in the same category as cigarettes.
13. This one's a simple one that everyone can do - please don't delete your stories. Please. Often you'll feel real bad about something you've written because someone's flamed it or something, but please leave it up there. Worst comes to worst just redirect your email on FFN to go to an account you never access if you're really down about your stories. Which you shouldn't be; everyone is great in their own right.
14. Darry does not work from 4 AM to 11 PM. No one does, except maybe my dad at end of financial year time (he's one of those high powered career CEO types; he hasn't been in the same country as me on my birthday in three years). It's physically impossible. Likewise, Pony does not do eight hours of homework a night, unless of course he's been procrastinating. You don't get that much work in a school system where you only do so many classes at a time and get study halls.
This is a general guide and is not meant to insult anybody's writing style. There's just a few points there that have not been addressed by others, and I thought I'd do it. If you'd like to debate anything at all, feel free to PM me. Believe it or not, I'm much more polite in direct conversation. I do my multitude of complaints here; it teaches, does not embarrass and gets me what I want. The system works.
Unsafe External Link