Author has written 6 stories for Lord of the Rings, Earth: Final Conflict, Harry Potter, and TV X-overs.
Top ten fanfic pet peeves:
10. Recap Fics: If I am reading Harry Potter fanfiction, chances are I know he lives with his relatives on Pivet Drive, happens to be a wizard, and goes to Hogwarts; thus taking 6 paragraphs to tell me his life story isn't good form on your part.
9. Lazy Writing: Whether you can't take the time or effort to produce more than 2 pathetic paragraphs a chapter, have plot holes the size of small planets, or couldn't bother to do enough research to know that simply because Dean isn't as tall as Sam, it doesn't mean he's short; a crap story is still a crap story.
8. Abandoned stories: If you've worked me up to Vin and Ezra about to get their cover blown on a drug bust and decide you’re not "into" Magnificent 7 anymore, the least you could do is find someone to complete it for you.
7. Re-Writes: If your version of Harry Potter grew up in a different environment, with a different family, or made different friends on the train to Hogwarts; you can't simply re-write Rowlings work in your own words. IT'S AN ALTERNATE UNIVERSE!
6. Bad Crossovers: When Blair Sandberg (a grad student in South American studies) walks into the SGC and says "Oh, constellations!" of the Stargate which is covered in Egyptian constellations, when it took a Doctor of Egyptology two weeks, it's a bad crossover.
5. Bad Crossover Re-Writes: If you decide to make Buffy Summers the twin sister of Harry Potter, you can't just drop her into Rowling's preformed work, you actually have to use your imagination to change events to include the actions of another character.
4. Mara Woo and Berry Fuu: If you swear your OC isn't a Mary Sue, that it's just a coincidence her name is Ash Grace Tabitha Rose Harkness-Jones and she's the immortal/Time Lord daughter of the Doctor and Jack, who married Ianto after being sent through time by the evil Time Agency after they stole Jack's memory of giving birth to her... um yeah, your definitely right, how could she possibly be a Marry Sue?
3. Characterization: If in order to write Xander Harris, you have to change everything about him (from personality to physical appearance) why bother writing about him in the first place.
2. No Beta Reader! If there are so many spelling and grammatical errors that you need Daniel Jackson just to get through the first chapter, it's not worth reading.
And the number 1 peeve is:
1. Lack of Warnings: If you have to resort to plot twists that make the average person sick to there stomach just to add drama to your fic, could you at least warn us IN THE SUMMERY. These include; rape, incest, S&M, etc. etc. etc. What the fuck people!
The pen is the tongue of the mind.
Unsafe External Link
|Focus:||Books Harry Potter|