Author has written 5 stories for Harry Potter.
a few pet peeves.
1. Hagrid told Harry that Dumbledore left him on a doorstep overnight. a wounded traumatized baby. Harry immediately likes and trusts Dumbledore because Dumbledore rescued Harry from the horrible place Dumbledore left him.
2. Ollivander told Harry the holly wand was a brother wand to Voldemort's yew wand. So.. The big reveal in the Chamber is a big reveal why exactly? After all.. Ollie knew. Voldie knew. Albus knew. And after the Chamber even perpetually clueless Harry knew once it was spelled out for him. Why didn't everyone else know that the leader of the pureblood movement was a half blood spoofing the hell out of the bigots?
3. Harry is a hero because he defeated the Dark Lord. While laying in his crib...
4. Harry's greatest wish is to have a family. So he makes the time to learn about his family, how they lived and how they died. Except he doesn't. And neither does his best friend who writes feet of extra content for her homework.
5. The stunning passivity of magicals. Malfoy would have been a grease spot on a locker in the schools I went to. J.K.R. adores passive sacrifice. James sacrifice is discounted as less than Lily's, not as pure. She says his was instinctual, off the cuff, not premeditated. Right. Because the first time James decided he would die to defend his family was when the door blew apart and he charged Voldie, wandless but willing, just to give them a few seconds.
6. 10 years Albus had control of the magical world, an open field. He did nothing. Voldie fled, horribly weakened and afraid. Albus ate lemon drops and read the reports of Harry's suffering.
7. One of the Dark's terror weapons, the Killing Curse, was blocked. No one investigates exactly how. "Old Magic" (authorial hand wave and very serious nodding). A powerful countercharm based on love and sacrifice that Voldie ignored to his great loss.. Just like all the other noobs.
she wrote genius stuff, a wonderful world, quirky and interesting. her plot is not tight. her characters are amazing and engaging. Hermione is my favorite. Harry not so much, but a good guy. Ron isn't evil, just a jerk. And Dumbledore? Disgusting. Snape? A brave jerk.
Luna though, isn't she something? What a great character.
Neville, she did a great job with Neville imho.
Found this picture on reddit, to me it's what Hermione looks like: