Poll: Readers of Grisaille Gaol: What do you think should be done with regards to its proposed ending? Vote Now!
Author has written 91 stories for Bleach, Hikaru no Go, Dresden Files, Sherlock Holmes, Sherlock, Yu-Gi-Oh, Yu-Gi-Oh GX, Justice League, One Piece, Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's, Get Backers, X-Men, xxxHOLiC, Pokémon, James Bond, Danny Phantom, Transformers, Tiger & Bunny/タイガー＆バニー, Katekyo Hitman Reborn!, Nurarihyon no Mago/ぬらりひょんの孫, Jasper Fforde, Avengers, Naruto, Good Omens, Avengers, Fate/stay night, Puella Magi Madoka Magica/魔法少女まどか★マギカ, and Despicable Me.
Title: The Crazy Scribe to the Stars, Keeper of the Great Library of Fanfiction (position still pending election) and overall great fan of anime/manga, complete bookworm, and somewhat psychic (never been landed in hospital...yet.)
The avatar is "The Dreamer" by Chris McGarth.
Welcome to my domain.
But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.""How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice."You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."
As some readers may have noticed, I've not only finished Iced Chaos, but also started and finished the first long Dresden Files x YuGiOh! crossover, Dedication Through Light and Darkness. I hope that my fic would help future writers of this category cross as a reference when they try their hand at it (Look at the only other writer of this cross, Sailor Emerald).
The sort-of sequel, The Paths of Destiny, which is Justice League x YuGiOh!, is already finished! For fans of my one-shots in this cross, I hope you enjoy it! Since it's my first time writing this long multi-chapter fic, and frankly comic story-lines can get a bit twisted, I decided to just play the whole thing by ear, which could take longer since the only other multi-chapter fic in this cross hasn't been updated for a long time (look at Wings of an Era) and I have very little references. Readers may have noticed that duels seem to make up most of The Paths of Destiny. Well, I like Duel Monsters.
The next projects are Space Jump, which some might already notice is up and completed.
Two short little fics that are distantly related are also Exchange of the Spirit and The Golden Apples. Fics with greater focus on OCs include Stardust Shimmer, Transcendent Wings and the latest, Infernity Mirage!
To readers of Star Light, Star Bright: the Story has been cancelled for revamp and will return once the necessary adjustments have been made. Most likely, it shall be merged with the stories of Infernity Mirage.
Update: Infernity Mirage and Boss Rush has ended, and more-or-less continued under the title of Call of Darkness. Many thanks to all readers, and for those who have enjoyed the previous two, and I hope that everyone of you would support Call of Darkness
Call of Darkness now has its own forum: Call of Darkness: Being something like an RPG went mad
Fans of 5Ds might want to consult The Golden Apples, or see the newest 5Ds x One Piece crossover to hit FF.net, Restructer Revolution! Now also with honorary mention on the Crowning Moment of Awesome page of Tv Tropes.
Fans of Restructer Revolution, the sequel is up: Huge Revolution! Also available in other sites.
Spinoffs are also posted in the form of Restructer Revolution: One Day of Peace, Huge Revolution: Rainbow Path, and the latest spin-off now featuring more 5Ds characters, Huge Revolution: Black Whirlwind!
Note: Huge Revolution is currently in hiatus following developments in the Dressrosa Arc. The author would like time to see how the original Dressrosa arc pans out lest a major plot hole is met later.
New fic: Dioscuri. It also comes with a.
If you would wish to increase the speed of updates, my readers, please do either of the following:
1. Review constructively
2. Send me references, i.e. recommend fics
3. Pester some other writer to update the references I do have so that I can be inspired to continue writing.
Improving the Quality of FanFiction Posted:
(for Holmes X Watson slash)
(for any pop culture references)
(Also from TV Tropes; useful, entertaining, and hopefully accurate. Anyway, a good primer on any cultural/scientific/historical/philosophical concepts to be covered in any story)
(Superpowers and how they might be applied)
Noah Lukeman: The Plot Thickens and The First Five Pages
Tips on How to Write Fanfiction
As a writer with 60 fics under the belt, I know that new writers often get discouraged due to the lack of reviews. Here are a set of guidelines to help budding writers who actually read my profile write to ensure at least a few reviews.
1. Focus on what you want to write. Crack, angst, adventure, the choice is yours. Get a rough idea of how to start, and how to end. Everything in between will come in time, discussion, or the plot bunny hits you over the head with it.
2. Read up on your chosen fandom; in the case of crossovers, read up on both fandoms. This will not only give you a rough timeline to work with, but also help you plot where and when to set the story. The numerous Internet wikis are there for this reason. Research can also be done by trawling through FF.net's various fics for ideas. Take note not to copy wholesale; authors can spot their work with scary accuracy. Do note that sometimes you might feel like copying wholesale from the manga script, that's only good as a connector. Use it too many times and people are going to ask if you're just writing the manga out in novel form for them.
Even if you want to write AU, it is a good idea to keep the wiki open, if only for character references or rough research. The only exception is if the whole series for the chosen fandom to date is in your possession. In the case where whatever you write is wholly fictional and has nothing to do with fandom, attach a warning in the summary or author's notes, or just put in a passing mention.
3. Title and summaries are important, if only to raise a flag that says 'hey, I'm here, read me!'. For help in choosing, refer to the wikis again or see Tv Tropes.
4. Tv Tropes help in letting you choose plot devices to use, as well as character development (in case of OCs). A Mary-Sue is about as off-putting as a no-good character, maybe even more so.
5. Character bashing is a fairly common phenomenon, but try to attach a warning in the summary, or the author's notes.
6. In the case of OCs, develop characters well. There are several forums to assist new writers in this.
7. With rated fics, it is best to attach a warning label in the author's notes. It is also good to attach a disclaimer and that you are working under the Creative Commons now and then. The only place this rule does not apply is Archive of Our Own; it is understood that almost everything there is fan-based.
8. Pay attention to basic formatting, double-paragraph (press enter twice) just in case. Basic formatting makes the reading experience better. The Document Manager exists for this as well. Many good fics have been ruined by lousy formatting.
9. You don't need good grammar to write fanfiction. However, basic spelling should be observed. Think of the reader who has to read through the mess.
10. (Specific for FF.net) for line breaks, go to Doc Manager, then to your document, and click the symbol that's a single horizontal line through. There are authors who employ their own separators in the form of symbols, but I find that the line break is more useful and neater.
11. If you are choosing a part where you are writing in a language completely outside your sphere, attach a warning that says you used Babelfish/Google Translate for it. If you really want linguistic accuracy, either get a dictionary, or get a beta to read it over to correct. There is a whole section out for beta readers set up for this express purpose. The latter is really more accurate (YMMV).
12. Take a few days in between to post chapters. In the interim between posts, word usually spreads through people who favourite/alert/mention in passing/recommend about your fic. Do not fear if there are no reviews, or very few reviews in the beginning; it usually works out in the end.
13. For starting writers, I'd advise to keep chapters short. 2K-3K is a good starting length, then you can work from there. If a chapter is 10K words, and it's too long to safely read, cut it. It is also less pressure on both writer and reader to complete a chapter. Never mind if there are a lot of chapters; the story is what matters.
14. Use a different font for the author's notes, if you intend to attach them in front/behind/in between. There are eight possible combinations of fonts to use even with the basics, reserve one for your own use. Try a combination of fonts; for example, I use bold italics for my author's notes, and mostly plain or italics for the actual story.
On the subject of fonts, it is best to use plain to write most of the story, italics for flashbacks, letters and emphasis on words in literary technique, bold for highlighting volume (e.g. when character is yelling), and underlines almost never except for titles and other stuff (e.g. different languages).
15. For lazy writers, it is recommended to get a beta. They will ensure that you actually write it out. If you can't, or you think you don't need one, put in the effort to actually write.
16. If you're going to leave a fic alone and incomplete for a long time for any reason, attach a HIATUS to the summary. That way, people don't get their hopes up if you post an announcement in place of a chapter.
17. Take reviews seriously. If a reader takes the time to critique the work, then work on that improvement.
!7.1: The readers do not rule the story, nor do they write it. You do. You are free to ignore flames if it looks like the reader is being recalcitrant.
18. The number of hits you get immediately after posting a chapter is an indicator of how popular your fic is in the short-term. The number of favourites and reviews plus alerts is a long-term indicator. Reviews are accumulative and rare; unless the fic is ridiculously popular, few will reach over a hundred. Fics with reviews over a hundred are usually done by veteran writers with an established fan-base of author alerts and favourite author lists.
19. If you can wrangle yourself a place on the Fanfic Rec list on Tv Tropes, the fic is more or less made. Tv Tropes is popular for what it showcases, and the fanfic rec page is also a good reference for good-quality fics. Even better if you get a place on the Crowning Moment of Awesome; you'll need a warning to keep readers away.
20. Enjoy writing. It's all in the journey, not the destination.
21. For really long fics (100K) it might be better to divide the story into arcs. Mentally speaking, most adventure stories do this until it feels like a Monster-of-the-Week show. Either way, dividing a story into arcs can give the writer room to work with.
22. (Specific to OC fics) Unless it is really pertinent to the story, the background of the characters may be better told over a distribution of chapters (eg chapter 1, A likes tofu, Chapter 5, A hates traitors the most, etc) and then it is best to imply rather than outright state (unless directly confronted with the object in question eg chapter 1, A eats a plate of tofu in 3 seconds).
23. Keep in view
24. In the case of scenery, it's best to outline where needed. There are exercises for this in writing books, but I recommend books on writing by Noah Lukeman (surprisingly interesting for a book on how to write a story).
25. If you can't write scenery, read other sections to get a feel of the scenery. Draw a picture. Google a castle and describe it. There's this wonderful thing called an online thesaurus. For the budget-inclined, Google-fu is a wonderful skill of the future; now start getting to it.
Weird is good, strange is bad, and odd is when you don't know what to call someone. Weird is the same as different which is the same as unique, so weird is good. If you are weird and proud of it copy and paste this into your profile.
If you are obsessed with fanfiction copy this into your profile.
the white man said, "Colored people are not allowed here."
The black man turned around and stood up.
He then said: "Listen sir...when I was born I was BLACK, When I grew up I was BLACK, When I'm sick I'm BLACK, When I go in the sun I'm BLACK, When I'm cold I'm BLACK, When I die I'll be BLACK. But you sir, When you're born you're PINK, When you grow up you're WHITE, When you're sick, you're GREEN, When you go in the sun you turn RED, When you're cold you turn BLUE, And when you die you turn PURPLE. And you have the nerve to call me colored?"
The black man then sat back down and the white man walked away... Post this on your profile if you hate racism
I am the girl kicked out of her home because I confided in my mother that I am a lesbian.
Re-post this if you believe homophobia is wrong. Please do your part to end it
My name is Sarah
Put this in your profile if you hate child abuse
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty
uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal
pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a
rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't
mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the
olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer
be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl
mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.
Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed
ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Amzanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling
was ipmorantt! tahts so cool!
If you could read that put it in your profile
Jenny was so happy about the house they had found.
Jenny asked to stay with her friends that night.
Well the pizza was good, and the party was great.
They jumped in the car for the moonlight ride,
Then all of a sudden, she saw a big flash.
She felt someone remove her from the twisted rubble,
"But the people in the other car?" Jenny cried.
The nurse just stood there--she never agreed--
This story is sad and unpleasant but true.
If you've been on the computer for hours on end, reading numerous fanfictions, copy this onto your profile, and add your name to this list: danyan, Zutara Lover, Black'n'red'Butterfly, Enrica(real name)(i always change my penname)(tehehehe) I'veComeToTakeYourCheese, Vampire Scooby, blissfulmemories, Misfit Band Geek, Inuyashagrl101, Giggle Wiggles, Fox-Zodiac, Leafstar of LyokoKonoha, Gothic Lust, HeroInTheShadows, HiDiNgFrOmYoU Werepanther33 lalunaticscribe
Only crazy people can understand the brilliance of crazy things. If you are crazy and proud of it, copy and paste this into your profile!
If you have ever tripped over air add this to your profile.
If you have ever run into a door, copy this into your profile.
( ) ( )
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your profile to help him gain world domination.
SUPPORT THE BUNNY!
For me, crazy is a loose term. Crazy is when you stare at a pencil and laugh when someone asks you just what you find so interesting about the eraser. Crazy is when you have an hour long sob-fest, then start singing and dancing when your favorite song plays. Crazy is when you do or say a totally random thing, like "do you ever wonder where the eraser bits go?" or start having a thumbwar with yourself (I find that I am a very tough opponent). So if you're crazy, copy this onto your profile.
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is Optional.
Kids are the future. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
When Life gives you lemons, squirt them in Life's eye, and see how much Life likes lemons then.
You say I've lost my sanity. Well I have news for you. You can't lose what you never had
Yeah, I'm a loser. but the coolest loser you'll ever meet
Save the earth. it's the only planet with chocolate.
There's nothing wrong with taking to random objects, its when they start to talk back that you need to worry.
MURPHY'S LESSER-KNOWN LAWS:
1. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
2. He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
3. Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
4. Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.
5. Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
6. The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something
right, there's a 90 probability you'll get it wrong.
7. If you lined up all the cars in the world end to end, someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them, five or six at a time, on a hill, in the fog.
8. If the shoe fits, get another one just like it.
9. The things that come to those who wait, will be the things left by those
who got there first.
10. Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he
will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.
11. A flashlight is a case for holding dead batteries.
12. The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.
13. A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
14. When you go into court, you are putting yourself in the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.
Unsafe External Link