Poll: I'm just curious...what "story width" setting do you readers usually use? Vote Now!
Author has written 12 stories for Twilight, Harry Potter, Earth's Children, and True Blood.
I haven't been writing much lately...so, so sorry, guys and gals. I guess I'm a bit burnt out. *sigh* For a while I was VERY busy earning points on my Pottermore account (NightQueen21779), but it seems I've lost a bit of interest in that too. *massive sigh*
Now, I have to admit it...I am (well, was) completely and utterly obsessed with Pottermore! It took me many sorting to get myself into Hufflepuff House (Go Badgers!), which is absolutely where I CHOOSE to be, because my RL friend, "Merry" (FeatherCharm28667), who could not be any more Puff than anyone I know, is. She sometimes calls me her "Faux Puff" friend, because I'm very much a Claw (was sorted there SIX times first), but most people on Pottermore know me as "Sleepless" (I have a bit of trouble with insomnia, you see. In fact, I have a Pottermore-related Facebook (for all my new Pottermore friends)...and that account is Insomnis Queen (Insomnis is Latin for sleepless). And of course there's a story behind that as well...the names Sleepless and Insomnis, I mean. When I first started on Pottermore, I was asked to choose a nickname. I wanted to be Insomnis, but Pottermore didn't seem to like that. They don't like Latin, I guess. So, I chose Sleepless instead. Then, when I was creating my Pottermore Facebook, I was disappointed when Facebook wouldn't let me use the name Sleepless...because apparently one MUST use a "real" name in order to have a Facebook. Pfft! And so, Insomnis Queen was born. *sigh*
Anyway, here's the link to my PM FB - https://www.facebook.com/sheri.ward.501
Beta (2011) - Sadly, I was not one! =(
Term 2 (started 7/5/2012, ended 11/21/2012) - 28,015 points earned (30,340 total points earned) - CoS - House Cup: Gryffindor WINS!
Term 3 (started 11/21/2012, ended 4/25/2013) - 46,660 points earned (77,000 total points earned) - PoA (chapters 1-15 released) - House Cup: Slytherin WINS!
Term 4 (started 4/25/2013, ended 9/12/2013) - 23,500 points earned (100,500 TOTAL points earned) - PoA (chapters 16-22) - House Cup: HUFFLEPUFF WINS!
Term 6 (started 3/30/2014, ended 9/26/2014) - 85,025 points earned (210,025 total points earned) - GoF (chapters 21-37) - House Cup: Ravenclaw WINS!
Term 7 (started 9/26/2014, ended 5/22/2015) - 32,901 points earned (242,926 total points earned) - chapters for books 5 and 6 out - House Cup: Slytherin WINS!
Term 8 (started 5/22/2015, in progress) - 22,000 points earned (264,926 total points earned) - only Deathly Hallows chapters left (I think)!
Books Left - DH
So again, sorry that I've not been working on my stories...I will eventually get back to them. Thank you for reading and reviewing! I love receiving input on them...always tell me what you think! =)
New-ish profile picture...this is actually a painting of ME! I changed it to this two-ish days ago (4/5/2012), because this is the picture I use (most of the time) on my Facebook page ( https://www.facebook.com/sheri.d.ward ) and thought I should be consistent. =) It was painted in approximately 1988 by Robert Williams (I was a whole whomping eighteen years old), who can be reached at:
Just an FYI...haven't felt much like writing these days, but I promise I'll get back to my stories at some point. * sigh * (9/8/2011)
Okay...so...not so new in here anymore, which is part of why I’m making changes, but I’m still VERY MUCH enjoying a lot of the fan fiction. I am concerned (still), however, that some of the "Betas" don't really know how to write and are, therefore, giving poor advice and instruction (not that mine is perfect, because, let's face it, it's not)—I don't know how many stories I've started (reading) and have had to stop because syntax was just God awful. Having one's own writing style is one thing, but just plain sloppiness is not okay. I suggest the book, Woe Is I, to those who really want to improve, because, to be honest, you won't learn unless you know the rules of writing. And, to those of you who do not have these problems—and you know who you are—GREAT JOB!
About me...hmm...what do I tell you? My name is Sheri, and I'll be 43 as of July 13th (2013), and absolutely NOT happy about it...would LOVE to find me a sparkly vampire to stop the aging process and make me permanently beautiful! But, seeing as I don't think that'll happen, I'm just trying to deal with it. I have three children, two girls and a boy, ages 18 (Caylee), 19 (Nick), and 20 (Courtney)...and boy is THAT a lot of work, people! But I do see the light at the end of the tunnel...LOVE being a mom, but I'm definitely glad my part in their journey is tapering off—maybe there'll be some time for me soon. * grin * Actually, I have a grown stepdaughter (Kimberly) as well...so...four kids...and the stepdaughter has three children, but don't you dare call me grandma!
Note to you young'uns...WAIT to have children! It is a permanent condition that will prevent you from having your own life...for at least 18 years. Grow up, GO TO COLLEGE, do some traveling, marry WELL, give it a few years (like TEN), THEN have children! They are a blessing, but only if/when you're ready! Good luck to all of you! Write on!
Just noticed what it says when one clicks on "Review this Chapter" and found it quite interesting. So, because sooooooooooo many people seem to have missed it as well, I'm going to post it here:
"A well rounded critique is often the most rewarding gift a reader can give . Please use this golden opportunity to offer a well deserved praise and/or tips for improvement."
And please note that, if I'm reading YOUR story, then I'm probably commenting as I read, NOT reviewing. The very term "review" means that it's written AFTER the reading and I do it as I read...so...NOT a review! I do, however, write hugely MASSIVE "reviews" (in quotes because, again, I comment, not review)...I hope you don't mind (some people do).
* INTERESTS *
Reading and writing (of course)
* After the Death Curse (AtDC) - my version of what would happen after The Clan of the Cave Bear (the first book in the Earth's Children's series, by Jean M. Auel), because, if I was Ayla, I could NEVER just walk away from my son like she did in the novels. Note - for better understanding of my fic, one should, at the very least, read books 1-3 (of 6) of the series, otherwise you won't know customs and practices of "the Others," as the Clan (of Neanderthal) calls the people like Ayla (Cro-magnon). Further note that the story goes off on a tangent and eventually only touches on Ayla and what's going on with her and the Clan. It started off to be a story about her, but has TOTALLY morphed and is now more about the people from which she originally came. Link removed because I'm bringing it over here. Please note that this story is the first thing I ever (in my life) posted for all to read...and it's FILLED with grammatical errors. I started it as a distraction while in college...and I've learned A LOT since then...thanks to Matera the Mad (meine Wortshatz Polizei), who pointed out EVERYTHING along the way. in progress (since 2003, not likely to ever be completed)
* Circle C: Hannah's Homecoming - this is italicized ONLY because I am hopeful it will someday be in print. It is a FINISHED 644 pages book about a white woman living on the American Frontier in 1875. For the last six years, she has lived in peace and harmony with her husband and his people, the Cheyenne. But after he's killed by Pawnee warriors, she chooses to go home to her family's ranch in a fictitious Colorado town. Once there, she has to deal with the bigotry and prejudice of life in 1875. (I posted the first chapter in my thread on the ECfans site (page 6, part 10) - . Look for the post with my RL name: Sheri Dyann Ward...don't be confused by the AtDC post by Jonayla, which is me too, that comes first. not fan fiction
* True Twilight: New Home (posted on this site - link below in "My Stories") - a silly mix of True Blood and Twilight (but then, ya'll know that or you wouldn't be in my fanfic.net profile). complete
* True Twilight: Leah's New Sam (posted on this site - link below in "My Stories") - more mixed up silliness (Leah Clearwater finds her imprint in Sam Merlotte). in progress
* True Twilight: A Doctor's Work is Never Done - a series of one-shots, each one individually titled and posted whenever it fancies me to do so...titles so far include:
1. "Why me?" - it's about Jessica (Hamby) Compton's visit to Dr. Cullen's new supe clinic, and the elective procedure she has there. *giggle* (NOT clean, so...deal with it!) complete
* Consequences of Foolish Wand Waving (posted on this site - link below in "My Stories") - sort of my "What if..." of a Harry Potter fic. Basically it's about Severus Snape fathering some children just prior to dying...and how the SIX of them meet up at Hogwarts in 2008. Unfortunately (thanks to JKR) Snapey has to be killed and is hardly in the story, but...whatever! in progress
* Class of Ninety-nine (posted on this site - link below in "MY Stories") - after Voldemort is defeated in May of 1998, the students of Harry Potter's year return to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to complete their education...and are surprised by the changes Headmistress McGonagall has made. May contain slash, but not as of chapter 21. In progress.
* Unbreakable Togetherness (posted on this site - link below in "MY Stories") - PART ONE (in a series) - a year and three-ish months after Ginny's death, Harry finds himself in an interesting position...er...condition? But in this he's not alone. HP/DM. Somewhat AU, but epilogue compliant...and as in character as I am capable. Complete
* Doing things Together (posted on this site - link below in "MY Stories") - PART TWO (in a series) - after a visit to their healer...see PART ONE...Draco Malfoy and Harry Potter try to cope with their interesting situation. HP/DM. Somewhat AU, but epilogue compliant...and as in character as I am capable. Complete
* Friendly Get Together (posted on this site - link below in "MY Stories") - PART THREE (in a series) - why is it so hard for Harry to tell his friends about his new-found tie to Draco Malfoy? And, is Draco's way of telling them any better...or just quicker HP/DM. Somewhat AU, but epilogue compliant...and as in character as I am capable. Complete
* Coming Together for the Holidays (posted on this site - link below in "MY Stories") - PART FOUR (in a series) - It's simple, really...FOUR Potters spend FOUR days with FOUR Malfoys. Shouldn't be too difficult...right? Hmm. HP/DM. Somewhat AU, but epilogue compliant...and as in character as I am capable. Complete
* Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus (posted on this site - link below in "MY Stories") - It's Draco's nineteenth birthday and Harry wants to give him a present. 8th year fic. Established relationship. And yes, I know this is being posted late...i.e. not on Draco's actual birthday, which was/is June 5th. Companion piece to "Class of Ninety-nine," which is "in progress"...but this ONE SHOT is COMPLETE!
* Correspondences and/or Encounters (posted on this site - link below in "MY Stories") - This is going to be a series of RELATED one-shots about the times Draco and Harry either correspond in some way or find time for a liaison. Some of the one-shots will involve other people, such as Ginny and/or Astoria, and possibly others, but they will be mostly about our two lovely young men. Note: each ONE-SHOT will be complete in and of itself. 2nd up: "Happy Birthday, Harry"!
Research (for the purpose of writing and just because)
Studying the English Language
American Indian history
* Easy Street Arena (Simi Valley, CA) -
Television (more on this later)
Going to the movies (though I don't get there often)
Softball (girls fastpitch and having a catch with the kids)
And of course, spending time with the people I love. :-)
Music – My music tastes seem to be shifting a bit. I'm still a lover of country music (have been for YEARS)...and I still love, love, LOVE strings...the cello and viola in particular (no matter who it is or what's being played). Both my daughters played in their HS's orchestra and it has got to be one of the best things a parent can watch! And then there’s 80s music...love it! But I’m a total sucker for 60s and 70s music! I grew up with parents that were DJs (and dance instructors) on the weekends, so...interesting life! Newest music loves are Oasis (though they're not new) and One Direction (I can't believe I like a boy band, but they are soooooooooo adorable!!!).
Movies – Yep! watch them all...er...mostly...I don't like horror movies, the blood and guts kind...except for ones like Shaun of the Dead...that was hilarious! Or anything vampire...that new one that’s coming out soon...gotta see it!
All time favorite movie...Shumani tutanka ob Wachi. Which is currently my "writing movie" (what I put on while I write) when I’m writing anything set in the American West. That’s Dances with Wolves for anyone who doesn’t speak Lakota. :p
But others that are up there are...Star Wars (any one of them), Harry Potter (all of them), The Day After Tomorrow, Grease, Pirates of the Caribbean (I & II...and III is okay too, I suppose), Kate & Leopold, Far and Away, Twilight... OMG...just too many movies to put add.
Current "Bedtime Television" (ones I pop in to go to sleep to)...any Harry Potter movie (all, if it's a bad night and I see no sleep coming) or Queer as Folk...or Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman.
Okay...I'll stop now...there are just too many movies of any kind to go on about.
Television – "They say that ninety percent of TV is junk. But, ninety percent of everything is junk." Gene Roddenberry – 21 Jumpstreet, Angel, Arli$$, Around the Horn, Awake, Bewitched, Bionic Woman, Blade the series, Bones, Brady Bunch, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (kicks arse!), Charlie's Angels, Charmed, CHiPs, Christy, Cowboys games, Crank Yankers, CSI, Dead Zone, Dodger games, Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman, Dukes of Hazard, ER, F1, Facts of Life, Fantasy Island, Friends, Game of Thrones (Arya Stark is my fave), Ghost Whisperer, Gilligan's Island, Greatest American Hero, Grimm, Happy Days, Hart of Dixie (Lemon is a biotch!), Hell on Wheels, Heroes, House, I Love Lucy, Indy (Dario Franchitti!), Jericho, Journeyman, Judging Amy, Law &; Order (all of them), Life, Life on Mars (the British version and American version), Little House on the Prairie, Lois &; Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, Lost World, Love Boat, M*A*S*H, MLB (love my Dodgers), Monk, Monkees, NASCAR, NFL (love my Cowboys), Northern Exposure, NYPD Blue, Once Upon a Time, PtI, Quantum Leap, Queer as Folk, Regular Joe, Ringer, Santa Barbara, Sisters, Six Million Dollar Man, Soap, SportsCenter, Star Trek (the original, TNG, DS9, V), The Gates, The Walking Dead, Touched by an Angel, True Blood (Team Bill!), Vampire Diaries (Team Stefan...or team both), Walker Texas Ranger, Who's Line Is It Anyway?, Without a Trace...and MORE!
Can you tell I watch a lot of television? And I love reruns! :-)
Books – "Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life." Mark Twain – The Earth's Children series (CotCB, VoH, TMH, PoP, SoS), Harry Potter and the...SS, CoS, PoA, GoF, OotP, HBP, DH, Rides the Wind, Dragonlance Chronicles and Dragonlance Legends, the Men of August series (Marley's Choice, Sarah's Seduction, Heather's Gift), The Lover, Gabriel's Woman, The Lady's Tutor, Scandalous Lovers, Dances with Wolves, The Holy Road, Two Old Women, the Twilight seriesthe Southern Vampire Mysteries, Blood and Chocolate, The Silver Kiss...
Actually...I could just go on and on and on forever...but historical fiction is my all-time favorite. But I love a good old dirty book too! Erotica rocks!
* I hate that! That is...things I hate *
People who set his/her myspace/FB (or other such website) to private. WTF are you afraid of!
People who can’t seem to give his/her age...on any website! I’m fucking 44, damn it...who the hell cares!
Parents who allow their children to run wild in stores (or anywhere)...or talk over a whisper in any place that normal people would prefer some quiet. I have a gaggle of kidlets myself and no one would even know because they’re QUIET! No one wants to hear someone else’s kids, people! Remember the old saying, "Children should be seen and not heard"? Well...it's definitely not politically correct any longer, but HELL, it should be!
Political Correctness (since I mentioned it)...I despise most anything PC. It's just so ridiculous that we can't just call a spade a spade. Why are people getting their panties in a bunch over what just is? * sigh *
Slow drivers, or drivers who aren’t paying attention to what’s going on. When the light turns green, GO!
Drivers who don’t seem to know how to make a left turn when there’s no arrow. At least three cars per green, people! Pull the hell out!
People who are always on his/her cell phone. Is it always necessary to be in contact with everyone at every second!
Vegetarianism. I mean, what's up with that? Meat...YUMMY! What do you think the animals were put here for!
People who don’t say “please” and “thank you.”
Leaving the lid of the toilet up. I mean, come on, do you leave the lid off the mayonnaise? Or the milk...or any other lidded item? Put that fucker down!
When the toilet paper roll is put on backward...it should be over the top!
People who sneeze and don’t cover his/her mouth. I don’t give a damn if you don’t want to spray that shite on yourself...cover that up! Do you think, for one moment, that I want to see it spewing from your face? Noooo! Gross!
People who claim to hate television, but watch it all the time. I love television! And I can admit it!
And further...the fact that I have 200 channels and there’s still nothing on the bloody thing! What's the deal with that?
Non-smokers who piss and moan about second-hand smoke. I don’t smoke, but I don’t give a damn if someone else does. And if someone’s smoke is bothering me, I just move to a spot where the smoke doesn’t reach me.
People who still write checks (in stores). What’s the deal with this anyway? It’s the 21st century for crying out loud...you people need to burn your checkbooks!
Bad "eating" manners...the sound of silverware clanking on plates, scraping forks, etc... Noisy eaters - if I can hear you eating, then you’re being too fucking LOUD!!!
People who pop and smack their chewing gum. Chew quietly, with your bloody mouth closed, or don't fucking chew gum!!!
When people say, “You and I” when they actually mean, “You and me.” And vice versa! But that's sort of (kind of) going on a tangent, isn't it (see more below)?
ETA: People who don't put something in his/her profile. I know I've gone WAY overboard here, but come on, people...if I go to your profile and there's nothing there, I want to strangle your arse (your neck, actually, but...you get the point)! Give us some way of knowing you...PLEASE...because I absolutely reply to every PM, question, comment, and review...and it would be nice to have some info to do so! I wish I could make this request HUGE, so everyone would see it! * sigh *
* I hate the misuse of words...such as... *
Lay and lie - they are NOT interchangeable! Lay means place or put and lie means rest or recline. One CANNOT 'lay' down on a couch, because that would mean he/she is 'placing' or 'putting' on the couch. That doesn't make sense, people! Funny thing is, the past tense of 'to lie' is lay. Yesterday, I lay on the couch all day...is correct!
The correct spelling is "all right" (two words). Alright (one word) is NOT a word! You don't say that something's alwrong, do you? No, because that's two words. All right! Got it? Good, because I'm tired of seeing it all wrong!
A while and awhile are two different words. A while usually (but not always) has "for" or "in" in front of it...and awhile means "for a while." I'll be gone for a while...and...I'll be gone awhile...are both correct. But...I'll be gone for awhile is WRONG, because what this sentence actually says is, I'll be gone for for a while. That's redundant! Make sense?
Livid - doesn’t mean red, people...as in angry. It means bluish, black-and-blue, or ashen...like, “The corpse is livid.”
Blond and blonde are both correct spellings! The word "blond" refers to the color, whether it is of hair, wood, or whatever. "Blonde," however, refers only to a woman or a girl with blond hair. A man with blond hair is a blond (without the "e"), though. It even said that some consider the word "blonde" to be a sexist term and have dropped the "e" in all usages.
The word brunette refers ONLY to a woman with brown hair...all shades from very light brown to very dark brown. However, black hair is NOT a shade of brown, so black-haired people do not fall under the term brunette! And further, if you're talking about a male with brown hair, the word would be spelled brunet. Soooo, Harry Potter is NOT a brunet, because JKR says he has BLACK hair! *Note - some dictionaries define brunette/brunet as including black, but this isn't technically correct. Think about it. If you take the color brown and start adding white to it, it becomes increasingly lighter (varying shades of brown). However, if you take the color black and start adding white to it, it turns gray...getting lighter and lighter until it eventually becomes white...this is NOT brunette/brunet!
Okay...is it gray or grey? This is likely one of the most frequently asked questions in regards to common misspellings. However, there are many other commonly misspelled words related to regional differences. In most cases American spellings seem to be a bit more phonetic. So, which is it? The answer is they are both correct. There are two acceptable spellings. Gray is used primarily in the United States and other areas that use US English. Grey is used in Great Britain and areas that use UK English. But, if all else fails, here's a handy-dandy way to remember: grAy is how it's spelled in America and grEy is how it's spelled in England.
MORE on gray and grey. According to a survey conducted both in the U.S. and England, many people believe gray is a sliding scale of values from black to white and grey is an actual color perceived as the hue of "silver." Not really sure if this is correct, but...I like it! =)
Hung and hanged (hanged is a word). Since the 16th century, it’s been customary to use hanged for referring to executions, and to use hung for other meanings.
Nauseous. People often use this word to mean sick (and sadly, some dictionaries actually agree), but that is incorrect. Nauseous means sickening. You cannot BE nauseous...but an odor can. "I'm nauseated by that nauseous cigar!" Which I'm not, BTW. LOL. Here are two dictionary definitions:
The Random House Dictionary of the English Language (college edition), 1969 - Nauseous, adj. 1. causing nausea; sickening. --Syn. revolting, repellent, abhorrent; despicable, offensive. 2. Informal. ill or affected with nausea. --Usage. Although it is often used in this sense, NAUSEOUS is frowned upon by educated speakers and writers as a substitute for NAUSEATED.
Webster's New Universal Unabridged Dictionary (second edition), 1983) - Nauseous, adj. causing nausea; specifically, (a) sickening; (b) disgusting.
The correct term is SEX, not gender! “She is a credit to her sex.” Gender, a grammatical term for “kind,” describes the ways some languages categorize nouns and pronouns by sex (masculine, feminine, or neuter).
A lot...it’s two words, people!
Irregardless – this is NOT a word!
It's, "I couldn't care less"...not, "I could care less." Why? Well, because you want to say that you care so little already that you couldn't possibly care any less. Come on, people...let's get this right!
There is a difference between plural and possessive. When I see an apostrophe in a word that should be plural, I want to jump through the screen and slap the writer. Typographical errors are one thing, but when it's done repeatedly it drives me up a wall. My father would say, "It's a short drive, Sheri," but still! My last name is Ward, so I'm going to use me as an example (poor as it may be). The Wards are at the Ward's house. "The Wards" (plural - meaning more than just one of us) are at "the Ward's house" (possessive - meaning the house belongs to the Wards). Does that make sense? Yes? No? If not, try replacing "Wards" with something else. Let's use the word cat (and make it plural...cats). The cats are at the Ward's house. I didn't put an apostrophe in "cats" because IT DOESN'T FUCKING BELONG THERE!!! Make sense now?
Hopefully – okay...so...I’m not sure this word can actually be spoken. What do you think?
Hopefully. By now it’s probably hopeless to resist the misuse of hopefully. Strictly speaking, there’s only one way to use it correctly--as an adverb meaning “in a hopeful manner.” (“I’m thinking of going to Spain,” said Eddie. “Soon?” Mrs. Cleaver asked hopefully.) In an ideal world, it wouldn’t be used to replace a phrase like “It is hoped” or “I hope,” as in: Hopefully the cuisine in Spain will be as delectable as you own,” Eddie said. But of course it is used that way. In the time it takes you to read this sentence, hopefully will be misused at least once by every man, woman, and child in the United States. (Well, that may be a bit of a hyperbole.) Whether we like it or not--and I don’t--hopefully seems to be joining that class of introductory words (happily, sadly, honestly, frankly, seriously, and others) that we use not to describe a verb, which is what adverbs usually do, but to describe our own attitude toward the statement that follows. When I say, “Sadly, somebody else won the jackpot,” I don’t mean the other guy was sad about winning. I mean, “I’m sad to say that somebody else won the jackpot.” And “Frankly, he disgusts me” doesn’t mean the poor guy is disgusting in a frank way. It means, “I’m frank when I say that he disgusts me.” So there you have it. Join the crowd and abuse hopefully if you want; I can’t stop you. But maybe if enough of us preserve the original meaning it can be saved. One can only hope.
And, when are people going to get that, your and you’re, are different words. And, there, their and they’re too. And, to, too, and two, as well. The mangling of the English language just drives me CRAZY!
Okay...I’m sure there are more, but for now, that's all the complaints I'm going to post. =)