Author has written 21 stories for Balto, Kung Fu Panda, Looney Tunes, All Dogs go to Heaven, SWAT Kats, Wind in the Willows, Adventures of Tintin, and Doctor Who.
Hello everyone, I’m The Cool Kat (my username comes from the Pink Panther cartoons of the 60s). I am a nineteen year old gay Mississippian, and a fanfiction writer on this site. I can proudly say that my birthday falls on December 22, the release date of one of my favorite animated movies of all-time, “Balto” (and “Toy Story”). You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Favorite Fanfics (Onsite and Off):
Over the years I’ve favorited more than a thousand stories on this site, all of which can be found in the tab further down. What you see here is a sort of ‘best-of-the-best’ collection: my favorite, favorite stories that I’ve managed to narrow down. There are even fics from offsite. Expect the list to grow as I continue to discover new books and movies and categories. For now though, the stories that I’ve picked are grouped by their categories but not necessarily arranged in alphabetical order. Rather an order where they bleed into each other thematically.
They say you can tell a lot about a man by what he reads, and I certainly got an interesting insight into my own tastes when I was compiling this list. There’s a pattern here, a theme. Almost all the stories that I’ve chosen have something to do with love in its various different forms: the love between a man and woman, the love between a man and a man, the love of families. I guess I’m a sucker for sentimental fanfics. It’s not all fluff and feel-good stuff though. I love the occasional dark!fic (“The Tale of the First Bear King”, “Hungry”, “Hardcore”), so be prepared for those.
American Dragon: Jake Long:
1. Just to Show I Love You by Rin0rourke.
Avatar: The Last Airbender:
1. Trusting the Enemy by Meletrhil.
2. Don’t Ever Play With Fire by Melethril.
3. Wedding Proper by SCWLC.
4. An Unexpected Reunion by Stingrae90.
5. Avatar Aang’s Bachelor Bang by Proudinfidel.
6. Laying Down the Law by Dacyon.
Back to the Future:
1. Yellow by Lovelet.
1. The Road Home by iWolf231.
2. The Last Miles by iWolf231.
3. Newcomer: The Story of Kavik by Baltoluver63.
I have a fondness for father/son stories that began with the Bambi movies when I was ten, so there’s a recurring theme of parent/child relations in this favorites list that can also be found in the Smallville, Ratatouille, Harry Potter and Avatar stories (it’s even present in “A Doctor Who Advent”). The Bambi fics are all short but sweet interludes into the life of the Young Prince of the Forest.
1. A Special Memory by Kenichi and Miu 4ever.
2. Bambi’s Antlers by Krispina The Derp.
3. Don’t Tell Flower I Said That by Detouredbe.
4. This Place by Kay-chanLufU.
1. Inevitable by SakuraGirl25.
1. The Tale of the First Bear King by Verecunda.
1. A Night on Brokeback Mountain by GleekInTheTARDISWithSherlock.
2. Taken In by Spidersting.
3. Thanks, Brokeback by Welcome2MyMind.
4. I Swear by Ramenmustachio.
5. Enough Time by Soulan.
6. Stay the Night by Rabbit-Momma.
7. Two’s Crows Joy by MadLori.
8. The House That Jack Built by Cryptictac.
1. Look Through My Eyes by awesomebooks.
2. What It Means To Be A Brother by Bear of Love.
3. Reunion of the Brothers by Knighted-Geek.
I read a lot of fanfics and I have five OTPs: the Doctor/River Song is the first of them.
1. A Doctor Who Advent by Random Ruth.
2. The War and What Came After by SkyeWriter.
3. The Doctor and the Nurse by NinjaNovelist.
4. Close Your Mouth and Open Up Your Heart by Savvyliterate.
5. Christmas Eve With The Ponds by Savvyliterate.
6. Across the Pond by NinjaNovelist.
7. The Ever Growing Island by Kitty Ryan.
8. Locked In My Heart A Corner Apart by Savvyliterate.
9. Watch Us Run by NinjaNovelist.
10. My Time by NinjaNovelist.
11. The Game Hunter by NellyN.
12. On The Prowl by Jessie Blackwood.
13. The Day Everything Begins by BelieveInNargles13.
14. Ghost of Christmas Past by C1araOswa1d.
15. Hole in the Head by Bella Barbaric
16. Adam’s Reckoning by ElliotJA.
17. Small Fish in a Big Pond by Tromana.
18. The One With The Candy Floss and the Batteries by FlapperSlapper.
19. Two Hearts by Xanthe2.
20. The Slow, Limping Progress of a Relationship by Queen of the Castle.
21. Aloo-Channa by Kalirush.
22. Someday by Sharma Wild.
23. Spin Who’s Bottle by PuppetOrMaster.
24. Worth It by Dalekjast.
25. Christmas Kiss & Other Seasonal Rituals by BdraigCoch.
26. Bigger On The Inside (Or Five Times Jack Surprises the Doctor) by Wave of Sorrow.
27. Doctor Who and the Stonewall Inn by Biichan.
28. Keeping Warm by Starman.
29. Happy Accidents by Kathkin.
30. Interlude by Bracesnbowties.
31. A Scotsman, Clad in a Kilt by Were Lemur.
32. Blankets and Scots by Cestenial.
33. Six Things About Two and Jamie by Chaya.
34. Riddles in the Dark by Nonelvis.
35. The Terror of the Beard by WhatTheFouCault.
36. Accidental Marriage by Mm8.
37. The Wedding at the End of the Universe by Nostalgia.
Game of Thrones:
1. The Sum of All His Deeds by Linndechir.
2. A Cold Fire Still Leaves A Burn by Lovely Maharetchan.
3. A Storm Is Coming But I Don’t Mind by Lovely Maharetchan.
4. Falling So High by RedCandle17.
1. From His Cold Lips by TheLinksThatConnectUs.
2. KristoffxHans: Complicated by Janet-Mufasa.
1. The Mysterious Stranger by TehMarishal.
2. A Simple Matter of Mechanics by Evil Cosmic Triplets.
1. Perspectives by Incy Little Spider.
2. Lovely Scenery, Isn't It? by TheSadisticPineapple.
3. Order Me Around by TheRegalBeagle.
4. Bullfrog, Chickenhawk, Turtledove by Starkiller.
Kung Fu Panda:
I like wolves and I like a good redemption story, hence Wolf Boss fics are prominent in this group. “Strength in Unity” is one of the few written to form a relationship between him and Po and it does so brilliantly.
1. Eyes of the Wolverine by Joe ‘Po’ Navark.
2. Love Struck Snow Leopard; Homecoming by Sindalstar.
3. Enduring Sins by Sora W.T.K.
4. Grey as Steel by BlackShadowButterflys.
5. Long Shot by Turbomun.
6. Keeping A Secret by Turbomun.
7. The Song of Winter by Turbomun.
8. Strength in Unity by Hidden Stranger.
9. Ripples in the Water by samus18.
1. Hungry by ForThoseWhoLikeToMoveItMoveIt.
2. Trust Me by Scruff the Rat.
1. Free Birds Fanfiction by Zero Rae Ryoshi.
2. Free Birds Fanfiction 2 by Zero Rae Ryoshi.
1. Most Dignified by M.G. Monticello.
2. Báiji? by RPGgirl514.
3. Ink by RPGgirl514.
Night at the Museum:
My second OTP: Jedediah & Octavius. I love Jedediah Smith, partly because I have a thing for cowboys, and partly because he’s a great character; whether he’s being mischievous, bashful, or protective. Octavius is certainly his match, with a deviant mind, an air of authority and a hint of naivety that’s nice to see every now and then. Their relationship is fun for the same reason as the movie: the mixing of cultures – in this case, Roman and Western.
1. Manifest Destiny by Keptin.
2. It’s A Small World by 1000stars-in-her-eyes.
3. Arches by Kokolo.
4. Broken Panes by XTheAuthoressX.
5. The Radio by xMathieuLx.
6. Slightly Scandalous by Verecunda.
7. Poetry Slam by Verecunda.
8. Basket of Goodies by Kat Lee Formerly Pirate Turner.
9. Soul Brothers by Kat Lee Formerly Pirate Turner.
10. While Rome Burned by Animegirl1129.
Phineas and Ferb:
1. Balford of Serious Bromance by SpyroForLife.
2. Kisses and Exorcisms by Slimandalittlebitfoxy.
3. Thousand Words or Less by Skami.
Pirates of the Caribbean:
1. Keepsake by Wicked R.
1. Things That Go Bump in the Night by BlackMoonDragon1415.
2. Orange Cupid by Killjou.
1. Hardcore by Alyse.
1. Domestique by The Owl's Pen.
2. Awakening Remy by PutMoneyInThyPurse.
3. Remy and the Gypsy by Nexas.
Robin Hood (1973):
1. Caught in Sherwood Forest by Red Aigh.
1. Splash by Yochan.
2. Our Inside Joke by Setsumi-san.
“Smallville” had a full cast, so there’s a wide variety of stories here. There are Doomsday fics (“The Monster is the Man”), Justice League fluff (“Happy Like Us”), Tess/Emil one-shots (“The Night After”), and delightful spoofs that lampoon some of the most annoying elements of the series (Clark’s whininess, Lana overstaying her welcome on the show, the character assassination of Jor-El in the first four seasons, Pa Kent’s holier-than-thou attitude, etc). Carter Hall, my dependably grumpy Hawkman, makes a few appearances. Kat Lee makes ‘Clex’ convincing for me, along with LadyRa in “Eavesdropping”, a Jonathan-centric tale that gets to the root of his character (and features a very vulgar Lex). Clark’s bond with his dad also takes center stage in “Jonathan Kent: Man of Steel”, “Go On My Wayward Son” and “He Let Me Drive”; three stories that’ll resonate strongly with fans of the series. Last but not least, there’s Lois Lane & Clark Kent. I love these guys; not just Erica Durance and Tom Welling (who do wonders with the relationship in the last three seasons of the show) but every incarnation of Lois & Clark (except that bitch Lois Lane from the 1940s Fleischer cartoons). Superman and his soulmate get their chance to shine in “Can’t Sleep” and “Lois & Clark’s Wedding Has Been Canceled; It Must Be Saturday”.
1. Taking Care of Business by SilverSnikle.
2. How To Make Friends and Humanize Aliens by Nicnac918.
3. Shadow and Soul by I’amour-the-poet.
4. The Monster is the Man by Femvamp.
5. The Doom Files: Confessions of a Supervillain by Zaera82.
6. You Won’t Be Fooled By This by Becs1.
7. Just Keep Pushing by Tarafina.
8. Happy Like Us by TwistedSky.
9. Recall by INMH.
10. The Night After by Serafina19.
11. Confessional Beginnings by Serefina19.
12. Carter Hall by Chandniwrc.
13. HawkArrow: You Complete Me by PrincessBella15.
14. Besieged by Johnny Superfecta.
15. Epilogue by Roman1967.
16. Clark Cries: The Adventures of Emo Superman by Beefdog.
17. Fire by Elektra Pendragon (Elekdragon).
18. Pedestrian by SSA Archivist.
19. Clark the Gay Blade by Kat Lee Formerly Pirate Turner.
20. How To Surprise A Billionaire In Bed by Kat Lee Formerly Pirate Turner.
21. Down on the Farm by Kat Lee Formerly Pirate Turner.
22. Keeping His Present by Kat Lee Formerly Pirate Turner.
23. Eavesdropping by LadyRa.
24. Lois & Clark’s Wedding Is Canceled; It Must Be Saturday by Xenokattz.
25. Can’t Sleep by LoisClarkNLove.
26. Jonathan Kent: Man of Steel by Sperare.
27. Carry On My Wayward Son by Ellyfanfiction.
28. He Let Me Drive by Courderouge20.
1. Brazino For My Heart by DragonMage27.
2. Caught by Jefferfly.
3. The Peter Parker Predicament by Jesserfly.
4. Dreams of Reality by Totally-Out-Of-It.
5. Camera Flash by Totally-Out-Of-It.
6. Spider-Bite by Rin0Rourke.
7. Flies With Honey by Totally-Out-Of-It.
Fox McCloud & Wolf O’Donnell, my third OTP. Whether Fox is taming the big, bad Wolf or letting it ravish him, these guys have awesome chemistry. There’s a great deal of brooding and musing in these fics, since I inexplicably love it when characters think about their lot in life – whether that lot is particularly good or not (“Forgiveness”, “Time to Say Goodbye” and “Reunited with a Forlorn Past” contrast each other quite nicely).
1. Notorious by ZombieAxeHero.
2. Poker Night by Ringshadow.
3. Bump by Damned Elize.
4. Unroutinary Routine by Goki Henjin.
5. Forgiveness by Fatal.Spark.
6. Time to Say Goodbye by Mantinas.
7. Hopeless by Joshua’s Sin.
8. Radio Silence by BinarySpark.
9. Wolf’s Request by ParkerWolf.
10. A Night Out by ParkerWolf.
11. Those Zoness Nights by Talshige.
12. Reptillia by Serpent P.
13. Aparoids and Affections by Rhyxiaon.
14. Always by DarKxKunoichi.
15. Never by DarKxKunoichi.
16. Reunited With A Forlorn Past by Lukesky180.
Notably, two of these fics, “Aggressive Love” and “Scared”, use the character of Francis Stone to explore the darker side of love, in a way befitting him. Lighter, but no less interesting, is the charming fluff written by CrystallicSky.
1. Playing With Fire by CrystallicSky.
2. Elements of HotGear by CrystallicSky.
3. HotGear A to Z by CrystallicSky.
4. Sins of HotGear by CrystallicSky.
5. Months of HotGear by CrystallicSky.
6. Things To Wear In HotGear by Chelseyelric.
7. Passion’s Reign by Lynx212.
8. Aggressive Love by Twitter Chan and Psycho Chan.
9. Scared by Twitter Chan and Psycho Chan.
10. Lonely by Shapooda.
11. What Tangled Webs We Weave by Antarctica or Bust.
12. An Inconvenient Knock by Antarctica or Bust.
1. The Stripper Strikes Again by Rachel Smith Cobleigh.
2. Perry White Knows All by Mouserocks-nerd.
3. The Best Day of Lois Lane’s Life by Shado Librarian.
5. Hope and Flannel Boxers by PurpleProzac.
1. Taking Chances by Salai.
2. Love Takes Flight by Red Aigh.
3. Couldn't Sleep? by Red Aigh.
4. The Dark SWAT Kats Chronicles by trigger12.
The Adventures of Tintin:
Tintin/Captain Haddock is my fourth OTP and the one I believe in as much as I do the Doctor/River Song relationship. These two belong together – as buddies, lovers, you name it. Tintin is a spunky, inquisitive reporter and Haddock is a gruff, lovable lug of a sailor and the sexual tension between them is amazing (on top of that, the tenderer moments are adorably sweet). The piratical “On the Other Side of the Mirror”, the earnest “In Sickness and in Health”, the bad-guy-centric “Better Than Any Card Game”, and the sexy “Drunk and Breathless” are but a few of my favorite works listed here.
1. Float by Mipeltaja.
2. The Wine Dark Sea by Halotolerant.
3. Caterwallop by Ornament Of Rhyme.
4. The Dog’s Eye View by Atlaswhite.
5. Well That Was Unexpected (By The Oblivious) by Elanor.
6. Relieving You by WeirdTales.
7. Drunk and Breathless by TwoWriteHands.
8. Bedtime Story by Unicorn1980.
9. Captain's Campfire Tale by Unicorn1980.
10. Anchored by Delphi.
11. Salty by Delphi.
12. Forgive Me My Sins by Flashgordana.
13. Let Go by Miss M.
14. In Sickness and In Health by Kei the Average.
15. The Space Between Ancestors and Descendants by Atlas White.
16. Better Than Any Card Game by Partycat.
17. On The Other Side of the Mirror by Secondhandmasters.
18. Addiction by Unicorn1980.
19. Secret Fantasies by Bianca Castafarina.
20. Nothing To Fear by Kei the Average.
21. More Harm Than Good by Kei the Average.
22. Role Reversal by Skeexikx.
23. Abstinence by Miss M.
24. Everybody Loves A Parade by Occasional Boy Reporter.
25. The Art of Loosening Up by Kei the Average.
26. Step Up Your Game by InkBlot9.
27. An Innocent Misunderstanding by Inkblot9.
The Lego Movie:
1. Forgiveness by LostLyra.
2. Grace by ShadowFire125.
3. Something Good Can Work by ShadowFire125.
4. Glad You Came by ShadowFire125.
5. Betting On It by ShadowFire125.
6. Afterburn by CleverSnail.
The Secret Saturdays:
1. On A Mission by Cowstrikes.
Transformers / Beast Wars:
1. The Scotsman in Me by UltraMagnusFanGirl.
1. A Well Respected Man by ROSSELLA1.
2. Unfortunate by D. D. Darkwriter.
3. Lies, Truth & Polaris by Musing Scribblings.
1. Let Them Eat Cake by Orphan Account.
2. Change of Course by Go Outside.
3. Lodestar by Colonel Bastard.
4. A New Treasure by Sissy43148.
1. Boo by Bear of Love.
2. Tales of a Supercharged Snail by Sammy8D257.
3. Scaring Turbo by Shining Knightess.
4. Speed Typing: A TurboTurbo Fast Drabble and Snippet Collection by Fanfictiongoddess.
1. All Misunderstood by PreventPersuadePervert.
2. Heated Desires by Jacobluver113.
1. Giddy-Up Gambit by ShelbyLehnsherr.
2. Savagely Licked by BlueBully.
3. Two Wild Cards, Forbidden Act by Nagaku Tsuzuku Yami.
4. Piece of Pie by Kat Lee Formerly Pirate Turner.
5. Howling Wolves by Kat Lee Formerly Pirate Turner.
1. A Man in the Making by If Only I Were A Slinky.
2. Thanks A Lot, Tallahassee by Nanthimus.
3. 35 Sentences by Shadow Silver Fang.
4. I, Columbus by Kazca.
Favorite Harry Potter Stories (Onsite and Off):
These were initially part of the previous section, but there are so many of them that I figure they deserve a section of their own.
1. Arthur Weasley Finds the Internet by LightBlue-Nymphadora.
2. Cold by Yeaka.
3. A Bounty on Red by Boogum.
4. Preen by Yeaka.
Draco Malfoy / Neville Longbottom:
This is a paring I never even thought of, but Yeaka makes it work; mainly because I like the way she writes Neville Longbottom, post-Deathly Hallows.
1. Captive by Yeaka.
2. Snow by Yeaka.
3. Present by Yeaka.
4. Product by Yeaka.
5. Lens by Yeaka.
1. Raw Power by Laume.
2. Harry Potter and the Sneaky, Smelly Thief by Snarky64.
1. Beyond the Station by Shira Lansys.
Harry Potter, Ron Weasley & Hermione Granger:
I love Harry, Ron and Hermione (and their names). I love their strength and their flaws and their friendship, yet their fics are the ones I read the least. It probably has to do with them being the main characters of the books. J.K. Rowling fleshed them out the most, gave them the most ‘screen-time’, so I don’t usually feel the need to read a story about them when I spent seven books getting to know them, inside and out. Instead, it’s often the side-characters that I’m drawn too; the ones who and come and go through Harry’s life and live their own off-screen (with the readers left to fill in the blanks). But sometimes I do wanna laugh about the antics of the Golden Trio; the fanfics below are a mixture of friendship stories and spoof fics (with a bit of Ron/Hermione tossed in here and there).
1. I Don't Want To by Bob-The-Blue.
2. The Play's The Thing by Bob-The-Blue.
3. Harry Potter and the Fanfiction Authors of Doom by Silver Weasley.
4. Something Like Growing Up by Silver Weasley.
5. Dead Guy in My Nose by Crowlows19.
6. Good Old Vicky by Silver Weasley.
Harry Potter / Viktor Krum:
Harry/Viktor, a miniscule pairing that I quite enjoy.
1. It’s Not Easy by Ashvarden.
2. Happiness by Mariel Nightstalker.
3. The Benefits of Charity by Praevarus.
4. International Relations by Ashvarden.
5. Filthy Bulgarian Hands by Lykaios Nyx.
6. His Hands by DoYou000Me.
Oliver Wood / Marcus Flint:
1. Stirring Up Trouble by Makai’sFavoriteKitsune.
2. The Perfect Match by PoisonRain.
3. Enclosed by Blaze Moonlight.
4. Shelter by Kos-Mos607.
5. The Attack by Touch of Grey.
1. Final Stand by Shira Lansys.
1. Red and Brown by Shira Lansys.
2. Warm Place to Be by Relala.
3. The Amazing Adventure of Crookshanks the Wondercat by Lege Et Lacrima.
4. The Talk With Sirius by SorifTheHunter.
5. Reconciliation by Pyrebi.
6. A Shadow by SpoonyLupin.
Regulus Black / James Potter:
1. Alcohol by Yeaka.
Sirius Black / Regulus Black.
Blackcest. Nuff said.
1. Pureblood Wizards by PreventPersuadePervert.
2. Passively Expressive by PreventPersuadePervert.
3. Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow by It’s Always Real For Us.
4. Good Boys by Gamma Orionis
5. One Night by A Sirius Crush On Moony.
1. Still His Pup by TheRainbowBrainedNutter.
2. Welcome Back, What Kind of Welcome Is This? By FeathersxBlood.
3. Mad Dogs by Eye of Glass.
Remus Lupin & Family:
Remus Lupin & Nymphadora Tonks; my fifth OTP. I thought this odd at first, since theirs is a relationship that developed almost entirely ‘off-screen’, but I find they make a great pair (and Teddy makes for a great trio). While a good many of these fics are about them having wacky domestic adventures, there are also some striking takes on J.K. Rowling’s vision of lycanthropy.
1. Babysitting by Scandalacious Intentions.
2. We Call Them Wolves by Eyes of Glass.
3. Of Refugees and Dolly Mixtures by Scandalacious Intentions.
4. Midnight Inanity by Omnicat.
5. Not Your Average Business Trip by The Ersatz Diplomat.
6. The Carnival by TheBookBully.
7. Keep Calm and Carry On by The Ersatz Diplomat.
8. Party Till The Wolf Comes Home by MrsTater.
9. The Last Tomorrow by ReillyJade.
10. Teddy Lupin and the Smoke People by Rel95.
11. Blocking Teddy by Rhhgrt.
12. Curse the Darkness by ArsenicAngel.
13. If You’ve Lost Your Guts by OfMirthandTears.
14. Word Wars by Scandalacious Intentions.
15. Chocolatey Air by Carnivalgirl.
16. The Art of Interruptions by MarauderWitch.
17. Remus Lupin’s No Good, Terrible, Very Bad Day by Madurai.
18. Get a Hobby by LightBlue-Nymphadora.
19. Your Own Hobby by LightBlue-Nymphadora.
20. A Year to Remember by Kuroida.
21. Teddy’s Train Home by Solochan2014.
Harry Potter / Fenrir Greyback:
1. Out of the Frying Pan, Into the Fire by F. Marrese.
2. Auribus Teneo Lupum by Shiguresan.
3. Moonlight by Ninja-Renka.
4. Restless Mornings by SweetlyDesolated.
5. Fruit by Lady Phenylina.
6. Couple’s Therapy: Case One by Torchwood Prof.
Sirius Black / Remus Lupin:
1. Uncovery by Lege Et Lacrima.
2. How To Fall in Love While Watching Someone Clean Up Puke by Rhyejess.
3. The Truth Hurts by LumosCrimsom.
4. Burned by Rhyejess.
5. Sex Advice by Rhyejess.
6. James Watches by Rhyejess.
7. The Sexiest Thing by LumosCrimsom.
8. Icicles by Shira Lansys.
9. Not Quite Fantastical by Xenoglossy.
10. The Dog and His Boy by Rhyejess.
11. Young Love by ArtificialAorta.
1. The Accidental Slytherin by Rhyejess.
2. Justice by Sapphire at Dawn.
Severus Snape & Family:
Severus Snape, for all his flaws, is one of my favorite characters in the series, thanks in no small part to Alan Rickman, who proved to be as perfect for the part as Daniel Radcliffe was for Harry Potter. These stories touch on several aspects of Sev’s wretched life, for those who enjoy the occasional foray into the land of bleak and depressing. For example, since I like more than one type of family story, the Tobias/Eileen/Severus fics serve as a dark contrast to the Lupin family fluff from earlier. A certain set-up can get old quickly though (like say, an abusive household), so the Snape family fics are all diverse, thanks to writers who imaginatively brought to life characters who only appeared in mention in the books (and subverted a few fanon ideas while doing so).
Naturally, there are stories about Severus’ love for Lily (be it unrequited or reciprocated), but not many. When I think of Severus Snape and Lily Evans, I think of what J.K. Rowling said about Harry Potter and Cho Chang: that they never would have been happy, regardless of what went down in Order of the Phoenix. Similarly, as much I feel for Sev and Lily about how awful things turned out for both of them, their friendship was never that stable in the first place and that would have made any relationship they might have had extremely difficult to be healthy. A lot of fanfiction writers take this fact and run with it. Most Sev/Lily fics involve a rinse-and-repeat cycle of Severus upsetting Lily and Lils storming off in a huff/tearing up, or Severus wallowing in self-pity for chapters on end, or Lily being wishy-washy / unintentionally manipulative. It’s hard to write a good, dramatic story about these two complex characters without making them entirely unlikable or heading into emo territory. The best one I’ve read so far is actually “Rewriting the Song” and I think that’s partially because it’s about so many other things than Sev trying to get Lily. It fleshes out his whole world. Plus, Lily is all awesome and ballsy in that one.
1. Album of the SangReal by Nightfall Rising.
2. The Black Parade by Ponytail Goddess.
3. Last Summer by Hel-Lokisdotter.
4. Last Father’s Day by SiriusMarauderFan.
5. The Old Block by DasMervin.
6. Baby Boy by Crowlows19.
7. The Prince and the Marauders by Nightfall Rising.
8. Fatherly Advice by Lady Lanera.
9. Relaxing Holidays (Was The Plan Anyway) by EcoWarriorX.
10. What I Did On My Holiday, As Told By Severus Snape by EcoWarriorX.
11. Temptation of Sacrifice by Shira Lansys.
12. Mirror, Mirror by LightBlue-Nymphadora.
13. Closure by ReadyFred-ReadyGeorge.
14. A May 2nd Carol by AttackFishScales.
15. Rewriting the Song by Silens-Cursor.
Severus Snape / Remus Lupin:
1. Remus Makes A Stand by EbonyWing.
2. The Other Side of the Mirror by TGPretender.
3. The Other Side of Normal by TGPretender.
4. The Other Side of an Unbalanced Destiny by TGPretender.
5. A Season in Aberdaron by Rufus.
6. Timeless by LordHellebore.
7. Old Dogs by Bernice (iibnf).
9. Musing Amidst Rubber Ducks by Hobbitfeet69.
10. Full Moon February by Lysanatt.
11. Nosing Around in Bed by Lydia Lovestruck.
Severus Snape / James Potter:
1. A Night in the Life of James Potter by Xylodemon.
2. It’s The Fact That He Exists, Really by The Unbreakable Snape Fan.
3. The Bet by Emerald Ashes.
4. Pranks by QueenSusan.
5. And by QueenSusan.
6. Consequences by QueenSusan.
7. Swing by QueenSusan.
8. Summer by QueenSusan.
Severus Snape / Sirius Black:
“Camping in the Forbidden Forest” is a favorite of mine because of how cathartic it is; the AU refreshingly cuts straight through the bullshit that pervades the HP books and gets to the heart of a conflict in a way that is both unbiased and keeps the characters in-character (if perhaps a bit more spineful than their canon counterparts; though that is also refreshing).
1. A Sirius Prank by Morghen.
2. Camping in the Forbidden Forest by Hello Anyone There.
3. A Snack Under the Mistletoe by Genuine-Discord.
4. Make Love, Not War by EmilyWaters1976.
5. A Gay and Happy Afterlife by PhantomTF.
6. Walking the Monochrome by EmilyWaters1976.
1. Back to the Future: Yellow by Lovelet.
2. Doctor Who: The War and What Came After by SkyeWriter.
3. Harry Potter: We Call Them Wolves by Eyes of Glass.
4. Harry Potter: Not Your Average Business Trip by The Ersatz Diplomat.
5. Harry Potter: A Year to Remember by Kuroida.
6. Harry Potter: It’s The Fact That He Exists, Really by The Unbreakable Snape Fan.
7. Harry Potter: Swing by QueenSusan.
8. Ice Age: Perspectives by Incy Little Spider.
9. Night at the Museum: While Rome Burned by Animegirl1129.
10. Ratatouille: Remy and the Gypsy by Nexas.
11. Smallville: Pedestrian by SSA Archivist.
12. Smallville: Eavesdropping by LadyRa.
13. Star Fox: Wolf’s Request by ParkerWolf.
14. Star Fox: Never by DarKxKunoichi.
15. The Adventures of Tintin: Everybody Loves A Parade by Occasional Boy Reporter.
16. The Adventures of Tintin: Drunk and Breathless by TwoWriteHands.
17. The Adventures of Tintin: Nothing To Fear by Kei the Average.
18. The Adventures of Tintin: Forgive Me My Sins by Flashgordana.
19. The Adventures of Tintin: In Sickness and In Health by Kei the Average.
20. The Adventures of Tintin: Step Up Your Game by InkBlot9.
21. The Adventures of Tintin: An Innocent Misunderstanding by Inkblot9.
22. The Adventures of Tintin: Better Than Any Card Game by Partycat.
23. The Adventures of Tintin: On The Other Side of the Mirror by Secondhandmasters.
24. Zombieland: I, Columbus by Kazca.
Favorite Artists / Composers:
Brooks & Dunn.
A Christmas Story (1983).
After Earth (2013).
Anacondas: The Hunt For The Red Orchid (2004).
An American Tail: Fievel Goes West (1991).
Around the World in 80 Days (2004).
Back to the Future (1985).
Bambi II (2006).
Brother Bear (2003).
Christmas With The Kranks (2004).
Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009).
Free Birds (2013).
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2003).
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005).
Ice Age (2002).
Ice Age: The Meltdown (2006).
Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (2009).
Kung Fu Panda (2008).
Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011).
Lady and the Tramp (1956).
Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa (2008).
Madagascar: Europe’s Most Wanted (2012).
Man of Steel (2013).
Monsters Inc. (2002).
Monsters University (2013).
Night at the Museum (2006).
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003).
Robin Hood (1977).
Rover Dangerfield (TBA).
Shanghai Noon (2001).
Shanghai Knights (2003).
Spider-Man 2 (2004).
Star Trek: Into Darkness (2013).
Scooby Doo Meets the Boo Brothers (TBA).
Superman II (1980).
The Adventures of Tintin (2011).
The Chernobyl Diaries (TBA).
The Frisco Kid (1979).
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012).
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013).
The Innkeepers (TBA).
The Land Before Time (TBA).
The Land Before Time: The Time of Giving (TBA).
The Land Before Time: The Great Longneck Migration (2003).
The Wolverine (2013).
Woman In Hiding (TBA).
Young Frankenstein (TBA).
Favorite TV Shows:
Avatar: The Last Airbender (2005).
Doctor Who (2005).
Dexter’s Laboratory (1996).
Families Ties (TBA)
Foster’s Home For Imaginary Friends (2004).
How I Met Your Mother (2006).
Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness (2011).
Spongebob Squarepants (1999).
SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron (1993).
The Adventures of Tintin (1991).
The Emperor’s New School (2006).
The Legend of Korra (2012).
The Legend of Tarzan (2001).
The Penguins of Madagascar (2009).
World’s Dumbest (2006).
Favorite Doctor Who Episodes:
1. The End of the World - Russell T. Davies.
2. Dalek - Robert Shearman.
3. Fathers Day - Paul Cornell.
4. The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances - Steven Moffat.
5. Boom Town - Russell T. Davies.
1. Tooth and Claw - Russell T. Davies.
2. Rise of the Cybermen / The Age of Steel - Tom MacRae.
3. The Impossible Planet / The Satan Pit - Matt Jones.
1. The Shakespeare Code - Gareth Roberts.
2. 42 - Chris Chibnall.
3. Human Nature / The Family of Blood - Paul Cornell.
4. Utopia / The Sound of Drums / Last of the Time Lords - Russell T. Davies.
1. The Doctor’s Daughter - Stephen Thompson.
2. Silence in the Library / Forest of the Dead - Steven Moffat.
3. Midnight - Russell T. Davies.
4. The Water of Mars - Russell T. Davies.
1. The Beast Below - Steven Moffat.
2. The Time of Angels / Flesh and Stone - Steven Moffat.
3. Amy’s Choice - Simon Nye.
4. The Pandorica Opens - Steven Moffat.
1. The Impossible Astronaut / Day of the Moon - Steven Moffat.
2. The Curse of the Black Spot - Stephen Thompson.
3. The Doctor’s Wife – Neil Gaiman.
4. The Rebel Flesh / The Almost People - Matthew Graham.
5. Let’s Kill Hitler - Steven Moffat.
6. Closing Time - Gareth Roberts.
1. Dinosaurs on a Spaceship – Chris Chibnall.
2. The Power of Three - Chris Chibnall.
3. The Snowmen - Steven Moffat.
4. The Crimson Horror - Mark Gatiss.
5. The Day of the Doctor - Steven Moffat.
1. Time Heist – Steven Moffat; Stephen Thompson.
2. Mummy on the Orient Express - Jamie Mathieson.
3. Flatline - Jamie Mathieson.
4. In The Forest of the Night - Frank Cottrell Boyce.
5. Last Christmas - Steven Moffat.
Favorite Smallville Episodes:
9. Phantom / Bizarro.
17. Absolute Justice.
21. Salvation / Lazarus.
Runners-Up: Spell; Onyx; Aqua; Solitude; Vessel / Zod; Crimson; Freak; Hex; Fortune; Kent.
Favorite Buffy Episodes:
3. Beauty and the Beasts.
4. Band Candy.
11. Graduation Day.
12. Fear Itself.
15. A New Man.
16. Who Are You?
18. Fool for Love.
23. Older and Faraway.
24. Normal Again.
25. Two to Go.
Runners-Up: Halloween; Phases; Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered; Choices; Beer Bad; Superstar; Where the Wild Things Are; Triangle; As You Were; Flooded; Life Serial.
Favorite Pokémon Episodes:
1. The Path to the Pokémon League.
2. Battle Aboard the St. Anne / Pokémon Shipwreck / Island of the Giant Pokémon.
3. Primeape Goes Bananas.
4. Pokémon Fashion Flash.
5. The Ninja Poke-Showdown.
6. The Flame Pokémon-A-Thon.
7. The Bridge Bike Gang.
8. Ditto's Mysterious Mansion.
9. Showdown at Dark City.
10. Holy Matrimony.
11. The Breeding Center Secret.
12. Riddle Me This / Volcanic Panic.
13. The Pi Kahuna.
14. Round One – Begin!
15. The Fourth Round Rumble.
1. A Scare in the Air.
2. Pikachu Re-Volts.
3. In The Pink.
4. Navel Maneuvers.
5. Tracey Gets Bugged.
6. A Way Off Day Off.
7. Wherefore Art Thou, Pokémon?
8. Get Along, Little Pokémon.
9. The Mystery Menace.
10. Bound For Trouble.
11. Charizard Chills.
12. The Pokémon Water War.
13. Double Trouble.
14. The Stun Spore Detour.
15. Hello, Pummelo / Enter the Dragonite.
Favorite Avatar: The Last Airbender Episodes:
Fire. Earth. Water. Air. “Avatar: The Last Airbender” was popular as it was for a variety of reasons. For one thing, it often found the right balance of action and comedy without one overshadowing the other. For another thing, the character development was top-notch. I find it’s very rare for characters to actually grow in an animated series. Usually whatever lessons they learn don’t stick and they’re ‘reset’ at the end of every episode. “Avatar” is different. Aang, Katara, Sokka and Zuko are nearly completely different people by the end of the series than they were at its start, and their growth is entirely natural; a product of their experiences. The fights were well-choreographed and the score was awesome. A lot of hard work and effort clearly went into making “Avatar: The Last Airbender” and it all paid off.
1. The Warriors of Kyoshi.
2. The Waterbending Scroll.
3. The Great Divide.
4. The Swamp.
5. The Blind Bandit.
6. The Chase.
7. The Desert.
8. The Drill.
9. The Crossroads of Destiny.
10. The Awakening.
11. The Runaway.
12. The Puppetmaster.
13. The Firebending Masters.
14. The Boiling Rock.
15. The Ember Island Players.
16. Sozin’s Comet.
Runners-Up: The Avatar Returns; Imprisoned; Bato of the Watertribe; The Deserter; The Western Air Temple.
Favorite The Legend of Korra Episodes:
When I saw the first season of The Legend of Korra, I thought it was a worthy successor to Avatar: The Last Airbender, as strong as it’s predecessor. Then I saw the rest of it. Being extended for four seasons really messed-up the flow of that show, because it hasn’t been since Smallville that I’ve seen a series oscillate between good and bad and amazing and godawful depending on the season. Season 1 was great, with intriguing world-building, nods to the first series, a relatable, struggling protagonist in Korra, and likable, if underdeveloped, side-characters. It left me eager to see where the series would go next and see the new Team Avatar come into their own. Then Season 2 happened. For starters, Korra was flanderized into an epic bitch for the sake of learning an important life-lesson, actually regressing from her development in Book One, which I don‘t think is good writing. The antagonist’s evil was so see-through that it actually made Korra look like an idiot for not seeing it herself, adding to the frustration. Varrick was introduced, a character that did absolutely nothing for me since his whole purpose was spewing Avatar’s trademark ‘spontaneous’ humor (which, don‘t we have Bolin for that?). Mako, Bolin, and Asami, instead of gaining dimensions, were just flat and superflous all year round. At least Tenzin and his family were entertaining. Thankfully, Book Two managed to pick up in the second half and salvage some of it’s quality with a four episode stretch of solid gold (“Beginnings” was epic and “A New Spiritual Guide” displayed both the cleverness of Book 1 Korra and the heartwarmingness of the original series) and an okay finale. Book Four wouldn’t be so lucky.
Book Three was a massive return to form, actually surpassing the first season because of how tight the arc was and how all the other characters, along with Korra, were allowed to learn and grow the way they should have the previous year. A more humbled Korra continued to feel her way around being the Avatar, Bolin came into his own as more than just the comedy relief guy / Sokka’s successor, that intriguing bit of Mako’s backstory from Season 1 came back, Asami became a kickass action girl and had some girl bonding with Korra, and all that stuff with Tenzin’s family in Book Two paid off in the season’s story arc, specifically “The Original Airbenders”, one of my favorite episodes of the entire series (fluffy but with character development, the sort of fun story that made the original series’ characters so rich). Oh, and the finale was awesome (it pushed everyone to the limit). I’d hoped Season Two was just a fluke, as the writers got back into the swing of things, and the quality would stay solid for the final season. I was so wrong. Book Four was the lowest point the Avatar franchise had reached since that M. Night Shylan movie no one wants to remember. Why? Because Season 4 was something no series should ever be. Boring.
I know that quite a lot people liked Korra’s emotional journey this year, some related to it, and thought it was brave of a kids’ show to tackle adult subjects like depression and impotence (not that kind of impotence). But it just didn’t work for me (and this might sound insensitive), because to me, The Legend of Korra is first and foremost an adventure series that dabbles in spiritual matters, and watching Korra get her ass kicked in every single damn episode is not adventurous in the slightest (I’m not alone in thinking this). It didn’t help that Korra’s new personality was entirely bland. Season 6 of Buffy handled this sort of thing better, and in my opinion, “Korra Alone” was the point where the show jumped the shark and never recovered. Then there was Kuvira, who managed to be an even worse villain than Unalaq; her whole shtick was that she was a psycho control freak and for the whole season she was so predictable that she was as boring as Korra. The three year time jump only served to make the four seasons feel even more disjointed, despite the final year’s attempt at tying together the series’ strands. Varrick got way more screen time than he deserved again, more than Mako and Asami combined (why? I don‘t care that things between him and Zhu-Li are strained. They‘re not even main characters!) Simply put, whereas Book Two felt misjudged, Book Four felt phoned in, like the writers were just doing it because they had to write one more season, and it was a half-assed attempt. Even the bending, that had such kinetic energy (and in some cases, grace) in Avatar: The Last Airbender and the first three seasons of Korra felt flat and uninspired here. The only redeeming qualities of Book Four were Korrasami (because LesYay equals yes) and the fact that Bolin continued to be well-developed (unlike Korra in Book Two, his occasional bouts of idiocy were an established part of his character since his second apperance).
So at the end of day, The Legend of Korra was a mixed bag. When re-watching the series, I’d gladly go back to watch Books 1 and 3 and parts of 2, but Book 4 I like to pretend never happened.
1. A Leaf in the Wind.
2. The Revelation.
3. When Extremes Meet.
4. Out of the Past.
6. Beginnings, Parts 1 & 2.
7. The Guide.
8. A New Spiritual Guide.
9. The Earth Queen.
10. In Harm’s Way.
11. Original Airbenders.
12. The Ultimatum.
13. Enter the Void / Venom of the Red Lotus.
14. The Calling.
Favorite SWAT Kats Episodes:
A short but sweet series. “SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron” was deemed a little too dark and violent for the kiddies in the early nineties, so the network pulled the plug on it early on. Clearly these people had never seen “Transformers” (in both shows the heroes save a town by destroying it). Personally, I found “SWAT Kats” to be highly enjoyable. Here are some of some my highlights; from the Primeval-like “Destructive Nature” to the hilarious “Ghost Pilot” episode.
1. Destructive Nature.
2. The Ghost Pilot.
3. Razor’s Edge.
4. Mutation City.
Favorite Tintin Stories / Episodes:
In Hergé’s classic comic book series, investigative reporter Tintin solves mysteries with his plucky fox terrier Snowy and his tough seafaring friend Captain Haddock. The comics were adapted into a television series in the year 1991.
1. The Blue Lotus.
2. The Crab With The Golden Claws.
3. Red Rackham’s Treasure.
4. Explorers on The Moon.
5. Tintin and the Picaros.
Runners-Up: The Calculus Affair; The Castafiore Emerald.
Friends I’ve Met Along the Way:
Joe ‘Po’ Navark – You’re one of my best friends on the site. I’m glad I contacted you and asked you to review ‘Erdan 2”. I’ve had a lot fun talking to you, reading your stories and recommending fanfics to you; and the reviews you’ve given me have always been helpful. Thanks for everything Cameron.
Red Aigh – We met because of a mutual friend of ours, Joe ‘Po’ Navark, and I value your opinion as much as I do his when it comes to slash fics. You’re a talented writer Red and an easygoing guy, and I think that’s a pretty good combination.
Scruff the Rat – You first caught my attention when you commented on “Erdan 2”, pointing out the music choices that hardly anybody seemed to notice and making suggestions. That’s when I first thought ‘I like this guy’. Then when that fic was done and over with you started writing reviews for other, unrelated stories of mine and I always enjoyed hearing whatever your opinion was. Now I look forward to your occasional PM, because I never know what to expect from you.
BrytheSpy – Like with Scruff the Rat, meeting you was a pleasant surprise. It’s always nice to meet another Balto fan. I wish you the best of luck with your stories Brian, and I hope that someday you’ll take a little more pride in your work. You’re a much better writer than you think you are man, take it from me.
Wolflover111 – You were the one who cemented my love for the Wolf Boss with your take on the character, and whenever I write a Kung Fu Panda story you’re always one of the first that I contact. After all, I would never have started writing for Po and Zhong if it hadn’t been for your first story, “Erdan”. I have a lot of respect for you Wolflover, as a friend and a fellow writer.
Mojotheamoroq - Mojo, you were there for me when I needed you the most. When I was suffering from writers’ block, my confidence was shattered and I was afraid to post another story. But you were the first person to understand my desire for an honest opinion about my work, whether it was positive or negative. You were one of my first friends on the site. Like Joe ‘Po’ Navark and Wolflover111, I owe you a great deal of thanks. I probably wouldn’t be who I am now if it weren’t for you.
WolfdogmeetstheLionKing – Sometimes I underestimate the power of the internet. When I first joined this site I never expected to meet people in other countries, but lo and behold I wind up meeting this Canadian dude that I have a lot in common with. I miss you Wolfdog, and I hope that whatever you’re doing now you’re having a lot of fun with it.
Animation Universe 2005 – You were just as much of an influence on me as Wolflover111 and iWolf231 in my early days, and you’ve been a devoted reviewer of my Kung Fu Panda fics since “Erdan 2”. Not to mention the fact that you’re an inspiration for so many on the KFP archive; you inspire them to overcome whatever obstacles are in their way and do great things. Keep up the good work Ani.