Author has written 14 stories for Harry Potter.
"Don't tell me the moon is shining. Show me the glint of light on broken glass." - Anton Chekhov
Fanfiction is where I play with ideas, have fun, practise my writing and procrastinate. I don't update very regularly all the time (sorry about that), but I'm still here and will one day finish this messy, sprawling web of interlinked stories and bits of character development. They aren't going to get abandoned, no matter how long they may sit on hiatus, because I love these ridiculous characters too much to let go.
They're all part of the same universe, even the founders fic (although for obvious reasons that doesn't reference any of the others - however, they may eventually reference it). Some are direct sequels of others, some contain spoilers for the others, most can more or less standalone, but certain things will make more sense if you read all of them. OCs from one story will pop up in others. My fics are canon compliant with the original books. I don't always use Pottermore details or JK Rowling's more recent reveals, because I had my characters and stories set out before those were released. I ignore the existence of The Cursed Child completely.
I really appreciate all feedback on my work, so if you read it, please leave a review telling me what you think!
I also have a new fanfiction tumblr blog at aebbeswriting.tumblr.com, so please come and talk to me there if you want! I'm happy to answer questions about my stories or writing in general (or just have a chat if you want). Or send me a PM on here if you'd rather.
Sometimes people ask me which of my stories is first, or which they should read first, which is a tricky one because you don't have to read them in chronological order, and some of their timelines overlap, but then again some of them (not all) do form a sort of series that should be read in a specific order, and any fic could contain spoilers for one set chronologically earlier. Some spoilers are important, some aren't. However, here's a rough guide:
In (approximate) chronological order:
SLEEPING DRAGONS (in progress) - c.1000-c.1070
FINDING THE LIGHT (on hiatus, but will be back asap, possibly edited) - 1969-c.1978
A MUGGLE THING (oneshot) - 1980
BIRDSONG IN THE DAWN (oneshot) - 1985
THE NATURALIST'S ASSISTANT (one shot) - 2010-2012
OWL POST (on hiatus pending edits) - 2009-2028
BANK ROBBERIES, MOTORBIKES AND OTHER CHILDHOOD GAMES (oneshot) - 2015
PLAYING WITH FIENDFYRE (complete) - 2021 (excluding prologue)
IF YOU WERE GAY (oneshot) - 2021
HOUSE OF CARDS (complete) - 2022-2023
THESE MORTALS (complete) - 2023
YOUR WORLD (in progress) - 2024
CHOICES (complete, but to be edited) - 2027-2028 (excluding time travel sections and epilogue) Bonus GOODBYE IS NOT THE END (oneshot) - 2043
- A good one to start with is HOUSE OF CARDS, even though it's not the first chronologically. It introduces the characters that feature in most of the other Next Gen stories, and it is also the first of the Dark League Arc, a series focused on one broader plot.
- THESE MORTALS is a direct sequel to House of Cards. It contains a lot of spoilers and makes a lot of references to it, although it focuses less on the Dark League Arc and more on the personal stories of the characters. Makes sense to read it second.
-YOUR WORLD is another sequel, starting more or less straight after These Mortals. It's a self-contained story so it's not crucial to have read the others first, but you might enjoy it more if you do. It also has spoilers for both These Mortals and House of Cards.
- CHOICES continues the Dark League plot to some extent, although its main plot is about something else. It's set a few years after the previous three, and contains some mild spoilers for them. It's weird and has time travel in it.
- SLEEPING DRAGONS is essentially a standalone at the moment, but it will eventually contain some important backstory for some of the Dark League plot.
- Please, please don't read GOODBYE IS NOT THE END before you read CHOICES, because it's essentially an epilogue of that story and will make absolutely zero sense if you read it first, as well as spoiling the entire plot of Choices.
- OWL POST will make a lot more sense in places if you read the other Next Gen stories first, but it doesn't really matter.
- The rest can be read at any point, in any order, or by themselves.