Author has written 10 stories for Harry Potter.
Well I'm in my late-40's and a old-fashioned geek. My wife calls me the "Fount of Useless Trivia" because I had to memorize all that stuff prior to Wikipedia and Google. So when you are reading my fics be warned one of the things I like to do is try to explain a lot of what just sort of happens in the HP universe. So if things seem off or different than canon, there is almost certainly a reason which I will explain in the story.
Last Profile Update: 11-25-2013
SAVE YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE BEFORE READING MY FICS! READ THE BELOW!
Not writing for the kiddies here. That being said I'm not one to write about nasty just to write it unless it drives the plot. Also I'm finding my writings are a way to deal with a lot of crap I still am processing from my Army/combat tour time. Thus my writing is a bit therapeutic but may sometimes be more for me and not something I expect everyone to enjoy or understand.
Plus except in the stories taking place years later, most characters are teenagers. Teenagers experiment. Teenagers make mistakes. Teenager of confused about things and often unsure of themselves. In my fics this is complicated by the interaction of their maturing magical core and the bodies going through puberty.
Thus they will often act atypically to what you would expect. PLEASE REMEMBER THIS! The addition of magic adds a new dimension of an already complex time in a person's life. In addition, since Harry is the last of his line(s) there is an additional level to the way magic affects him. So if you think a character is acting odd or doing something too mature for a teen their age, I would remind you this is a fantasy story with magic which changes the rules.
Fair warning: I do not like Ronald Weasley...or Molly Weasley and Remus Lupin for that matter.
Even though I'm a bit of a broken combat vet, I do like romantic stories. And by that it doesn't have to be 'romantic' in the sense of romance but 'romantic' in the 18th century sort of way. I grew up watching Star Blazers and got to see a lot of Japanese anime before it became main stream. So I'm all about last charges of the Light Brigade and billowing capes and nature philosophy.
Also, as a follower of the Norse trad Asatru, I do hope to integrate that into some of my future stories. However for the most part right now that is limited to my HP and the Ruins of Asgard story idea.
Common Changes to Canon: Here are some things which are found in almost all of my fics. They are my fanon, if you will.
Character Ages: Why aren’t there any pre-Hogwarts magical training? Because the kids have to be closer to puberty so their magic can grow with their bodies as they transition into adulthood. Therefore First Years start at age 12 (given this is the average age a male hits puberty). Thus all characters birthday’s are backed up a bit. I am in the process of changing all of my stories to reflect this.
When Harry Saved Fleur: Harry saves Fleur from the vines as shown in the movie version of task. Also in most of my fics, I like the movie version of Harry versus the Horntail to include the scene where we find Ron knew about the dragons but didn’t have the balls to go directly to Harry.
Black is Black: In my fics, Andromeda is the oldest daughter and not Bellatrix. Also in my fics Narcissa also has the black hair with a patch of white like you see in the films. As will be seen, however, because of how I see wizards and witches aging differently than Muggles , Helen McCrory is shown too old to be Narcissa. (Her mother might look like her but not Narcissa) More about Narcissa in later a/n and chapters. A good photo example to work with is Andromeda looks like Monica Bellucci. Thus Bellatrix and Tonks also look a lot like her.
Divination Changes: While not seen in most fics (generally since I don’t start that early in the series) my view of magic and the Harryverse in general means there is a big change in how divinations is done. So for stories like Paging Dr. Bell or other fics where this change really doesn’t affect canon too much, here are some basic changes.
Divinations: A mandatory class for everyone third year. However the class is broad in scope and is taught in conjunction with Sinestra and Vector on a rotating basis. The class is mandatory given how divinations relates to Runes and Arithmancy.
Arithmancy: Basically magical math and numerology. However as anyone who knows a bit about magic, anything with ‘mancy’ means it’s about divination. So again one has to have a basic understanding of divination to take this class even if the “math” is being used less for divination and more for something like spell creation.
Runes: In most fics (and in fantasy) runes are used to create permanent items and power sources. However this obscures the fact that runes are also a form of divination. My wife, in fact, is a very accomplished rune caster. So like arithmancy, while runes are used in other ways, divinations is a requirement.
Astronomy: I see this class being a requirement in years 1 and 2 only. Afterwards, astronomy is more of an adjunct to other classes. So those in arithmancy, for example, might in their fourth year have to start taking some additional nights with Professor Sinestra as follow-up to their arithmancy class. However it can be taken as a full elective but this is done usually by people who are going to go into fields where the magic is very sensitive so you really have to know your celestial influences.
Hermione: Obviously she wouldn’t have walked out of divinations as she did in canon. However my version of Trelawney is more focused and the first divinations class is also more in-depth. It is obvious that JKR had no concept of divinations past the general “gypsy reading your tea leaves” concept.
Legilimency: I have a problem with this. While my spells are usually totally Latin or some other language, this term bugs me. While I understand the etymology of the word, the mency comes from mens (Latin for mind) but it is too close to mancy which means ‘a form of divination’ as in necromancy, bibliomancy or phyllomancy (sometimes called tasseomany or reading of tea leave). As of yet I have not decided if I want to change this. I would rather have it something like lectio which is a verb form of reading/perusing which I think fits it better. But I still can’t figure out how I want it to end. So I’m currently stuck with lectiomens with the ending still up in the air. For now, however, I am changing the term legilimens to legilimancer which makes more sense given how legilimes simply means read mind (just as occlumens means closed mind) but doesn’t have the suffix to denote a user of the form.
Pet Peeves in Fics: In no certain order and sometimes no reason why
1. "Just call me Harry": Maybe it is my early SCA influence but I HATE THIS! There is a time and place for informality. Harry is ENGLISH. I 'm not saying this makes him a stuck up prig but the English are somewhat famous for being up on protocol. While Harry might not feel special, he probably also wouldn't want to go against the grain by protesting. If someone important like Director Ragnok calls him Lord Potter, I just can't see him saying, "Oh just call me Harry!" - This strikes me as a American sort of thing; tearing down of the caste system and all that. I can see Harry potentially doing this, but in most situations it comes across all wrong.
2. Names: I hate when people try to be cute like having 'Lois Lane' be a reporter for the Daily Prophet. That and I dislike it when fics seem to use a random name generator for their fics. It comes out sounding wrong. JKR had a certain type of names she used so it comes out sounding off when that format isn't used.
3. "Hi, you don't know me...": Harry's year has about 40-45 students in it. They live in a castle for nine months out of the year. They have shared classes with every other house. So even with the House system, I cannot stand the idea that someone like Susan Bones can introduce herself like Harry has NEVER met her before. While I may not have been on great terms with most people in my class in school (which was around 35 students) I certainly knew who they were. It's like in canon where Luna suddenly appears like Athena out of Zeus' head. I seriously doubt someone like Luna wouldn't be the talk/gossip around Hogwarts with the way she acts. Of course except for people in Quidditch and Percy and the Twins, HP and Co never seem to interact with anyone higher than their year; it's like they don't exist.
4. "Oh are you infested with (insert weird animal here): As a HP/LL shipper (mostly) I have a soft spot for Luna. However so many fics cannot have her open her mouth without spouting off about some weird critter. It's almost as bad with Neville. He's like Aquaman, invisible unless there is water around...or in Neville's case something to do with Herbology. JKR made her characters enough of stereotypical caricatures without all of us going one step further. Hell, just like Star Trek she color coded everyone so we knew what stereotype was which.
5. Full about, 180 degrees: While I enjoy reading and writing “I’m mad as hell” type stories, far too many fics have Harry or other characters suddenly have massive shifts in their personalities or actions. While yes it makes sense that after the fight in the Ministry we can expect some changes but so many promising fics are ruined because the change is so night/day. Maybe the author doesn’t want to take the time developing things.
Non-HP Fic Related Peeves: Just some things to probably avoid when reviewing or posting on my Yahoo group.
1. People who leave reviews but have their account set to where I can't reply to them. Honestly people, if you going to leave a comment let me respond to your comments, questions or complaints.
2. People on forums who are so lazy they can't do a Google search and therefore are always cluttering up HP forums with, "Link Please!" In the time it took to write that, you could have found it yourself! Do you want us to wipe your bum while we're looking up something for you? Sheesh!
3. People who leave non-constructive criticism. Telling me you like or dislike a chapter doesn't give me much to work with. What didn't you like or dislike? I am not an ogre and I've changed certain elements due to reviewer feedback and have come up with some really great ideas writing back and forth with reviewers.
4. People who expect their ships right up front. I'm sure these people speed date at well. =[
5. People who write their reviews in "text-speak" - While on one hand I appreciate taking your time to write a review presumably on a device without a keyboard, I am an old school, dinosaur type of guy. In other words, "ur txt speak makes u sound dumb 2 me" – I often feel like not responding to those types of reviews. However my wife has pointed out many people outside of the U.S. use it when English is not their primary language. Doesn't mean I have to like it though.
On Writing: I've stressed a lot because I find myself wandering from one story to another. After discussing it with my wife (also a writer) I've gotten to the point where I'm not going to worry about it. I will finish all my stories. I just find that my style of writing is such that I need to write what I'm excited about. I put of writing on my first fic, Harry Potter and theOrder of the Stag, for more than a year. Now I'm writing on it again. So yes, for you the reader, I understand your pain because I have favorite authors who I wish would quit working on stories when the story Iwant is left untouched. However, since no money is being made off this, I have to do what is the most enjoyable to me.
Also it is important to know of a certain writing style I use. When a character says something and I put a single quotes then it means either the word was said with a sarcastic emphasis or the person made air quotes and I don't want to interrupt the flow of the narrative by writing that bit out. Here are two examples.
"So then Ginny sits down and 'accidentally' bumps into Harry" -- Here the word accidentally is said sarcastically.
"Oh so are you can Hermione going to go 'study' now?" Katie said with a smirk. -- Here the word study is probably accompanied by air quotes even as it is emphasized.
In either case, it is intended to show emphasis of some kind and probably means the word isn't to be taken in its usual connotation.
Odd Comments On the Harryverse: Some things that I wonder about but don’t want to bore people with in my author’s notes.
Sports at Hogwarts: It does beg the question, what would the magical equivalent of polo be? The mind boggles at the Hogwarts Thestrals Polo team! Or a professional version like the Holyhead Harpies where the women players are all virgins and play on unicorns. I also wonder why there are no other physical games at Hogwarts since you can only have seven players in Quidditch. Even if each position has a reserve player it means only 46 kids out of the entire school get to play.
Also, considering how mad for football Europeans are, I would think there would be enough Muggleborn and Muggle raised who would want to play it. Considering how few get to play Quidditch, you’d think they’d jump at playing football. I have always felt that JKR’s depiction of magical teens was a bit off. “Weird” or not, fun is fun and I think if you plunked your average teen wizard in front of a Playstation it wouldn’t be long before he was just as addicted as a Muggleborn. So unless there is a serious, serious taboo against all things Muggle, I can’t see not having football at Hogwarts. Of course it might be the Magicals are just too damn lazy to want to run around after a ball. Heavens! Actually having to run? How common! (/sarcasm)
DriftWood1965 made some interesting comments regarding the lengths someone like Oliver Wood might have go to in regards to the Hogwarts Thestrals Polo team! This made me wonder if the Beauxbatons team would have those flying, whiskey drinking horses while Durmstrang might have something nastier like hippogriffs. That they all fly could make the magical version of polo a more three dimensional sport which sort of boggles the mind.
Current stories (or at least one's I'm posting on) on FFnet (I do have others only on available on my yahoo group
Paging Dr. Bell: Dr. Katherine Bell, famous wizarding psychologist, has been asked to tell her account of her (mostly unknown) contributions to the defeat of Voldemort for the 15th anniversary of the event. An AU take of things told mostly from Katie's view. See how she helped Harry and Hermione learn to love each other so Harry will have the power Voldemort knows not. Mostly a fluffy/lemony/romantic take.
HP and the Rejected Path: Actually came about because I was having trouble making Harry "evil" while writing HP and the Order of the Stag. So I decided to split the story and found it going off into a new and exciting direction. This is Harry mad as hell and not taking it anymore. NOTE! This fic is written the way it is due to a challenge to write the characters in ways they normally not. So, for example, it is NOT YOUR DADDY'S LUNA! (You've been warned) and other characters will act in ways rarely seen.
Harry Potter and the Thin Blue Line: The proto-type “post-Hogwarts” fic for me. A magical cop drama where we see Harry as a Hit-wizard working for MI-7. A suspicious death sets him off on a mission to find out what is going on with his new partner, forensic pathologist DMLE Agent Morag MacDougal, MD. A lot of how I see the post-Hogwarts world will be defined in this fic.
Son of a Marauder: Harry realizes he's just reacting to events and allowing the Headmaster to jerk him around. Now after the disaster of Bill & Fleur's wedding, Harry is angry. Angry at Dumbledore, angry at the Order and angry at himself of allowing himself to be stuck at Grimmauld Place with a vague plan, cryptic clues from a dead wizard and the fate of Magical Britain on his shoulder. Harry decides he isn't going to play the game by the rules he's been given.
HP and the Dido Chronicles: Expansion of my fic Ginny's In India Now. Starts with Harry having to go to his death to rid himself of the scar horcrux and will continue past the events shown in Ginny's In India Now. Some changes to the original story so don't think you've read it before. Will be posted on infrequently as the Muse hits me.
HP and the Order of the Stag: Evil Dumbledore who actually allowed Riddle to become Voldemort so he could defeat him and continue to cling to power when the prophecy mucked that up. Grey!Harry who will form his own "third" side. Weasley bashing (as usual for my stories) as well as a more Harry as a leader. Story starts during the fight in the Ministry.
My Yahoo Group = http://groups.yahoo.com/group/zArkhams_fics/ - Be sure to say why you want to join or I'll think you’re a spam-bot! Also, right now the amount of original content is mostly story ideas, my musings, polls and obviously the message forum where I broach ideas to the group. I do intend to write original content just for there. Currently I have two stories I'm working on. Edmund Blackadder: Wizard for Hire and Harry Potter and the Magical Blue Box. However I also post a lot of story notes. If you like the idea, telling me will increase the chance I write it eventually.
Unsafe External Link