Hey it's me NaKita!!
Something's to know:
I have found that my writing skills have gotten a lot better in the last year and a half (writing stories not included... That's a whole other kettle of fish). I'm finally ready to give better quality reviews as well as more of them. I will be going back over some of my favorite stories to give reviews or better ones than I have given in the past. Please be patient with me as I have a lot of stories on my favorites list, a list that I am currently going through to get rid of; the ones that haven't been updated in the last 2 years or the ones I've stopped reading altogether. The exceptions are; the ones that are completed, some uncompleted ones that are hooked to a previously completed story/ies in a series, as well as my absolute favorites. Sorry if your story gets cut from the list, but with how big it's gotten it needs to be cut down.
1. I will just come out and say it, I can't write a story to save my life!! EVERY time I try its Awful!!!!! I've never been good at writing, but reading and comprehending stories always. Coming up with plot lines-DEFINITELY, story ideas-ABSOLUTELY, but writing it out, not so much, to my everlasting displeasure!! As my writing has gotten better over this last year and a half, reviewing has been coming to me more easily (never said anything about the spelling or some of the grammar) and I find myself enjoying it.
2. EVEN THOUGH I'M COMING TO ENJOY REVIEWING IT DOESN'T MEAN THAT I'LL ALWAYS REVIEW! There are reasons for this. I find myself when I do a review most of the time I wait until I've read the story a good few times. By doing it this way, I get a more in-depth understanding and bigger picture of the story. Kind of like when you watch a movie for the first time, then go back and watch it for a second time, you're able to pick up on some things you've missed the first time around. I find it when your reading; NO matter if it's a Fanfic, Novel, Magazine, Article, or any other reading material, it's always best to re-read. You'll be surprised of what you find and read, I know I'm always amazed. The shorter reviews that I give out are quick on spot what I'm thinking right then and there or they're older than 2 years. They're not always the most in-depth of writing or reviewing. I typically wait until the story has some... well to put it bluntly, some meat on it's bones, if it's a chapter story. On the opposite side when the story is a one-shot my process is a bit the same, in that I reread it several times and go over them as thoroughly as I can. This is because there is less to go through so picking out the details is easier to do, but picking out the important ones that make a best review that I can give takes time.
Warning!! This site is DELETING! Stories!!!! Searches NEED to be FIXED!!!!
Some stories have been disappearing either the sites having glitches, the sties admin. are purposely DELETING them, or the SEARCH feature is messed up. Authors keep an eye on your stories!!
Things that I absolutely Love about Fanfic:
1. Surprise pairings. I absolutely LOVE surprise parings!! The weird, the different, the new, and sometimes the strange! The ones that you really don't think of at first. The ones where you are just skimming the page looking for a new story to read then you come across a story that has a pretty good synopsis, then you take a look at the length of the story and you know what... that's pretty good to. Then you take a look at the characters that were chosen and then you see It, the odd ball pairing. At first your a little iffy on it, I mean this is something that your not really use to seeing and there is not many of them. So you finally say "Ah what the heck, I'll give it a go, and if I don't like it I'll just stop reading it" so you give it a chance... and it turns out to be one of the best stories that you have ever read! I Love those stories!! Now don't get me wrong, not all of those stories are good, but if you take the time you will find a diamond in the rough. One such story that I came across was the "Familia Ante Omnia" series by StrifesLady. This series has many different pairings, some that I didn't think of. The main pairing is Harry Potter x Kisuke Urahara, never really gave it much thought, and then to find out that it was also a femHarry x Kisuke which is also something that I don't read much of (the femHarry or really any male turned female character). Well I gave it a chance, and then I was hooked. It turned out to be one of the best stories that I have ever read.
Things That Annoy me The Most about Fanfic:
1. People who don't finish the stories that they start. I understand that sometimes personal stuff/or every day life gets in the way of writing or you just loose your muse, get writers block, or even a million other reasons, but please try to finish a story is you can and if you cant let us know. Once you start a story and get readers invested into them, it is disheartening to see them go unfinished. If life, your muses, personal stuff, or the writers block in your head just wont allow you to continue on with a story let us, your fans, know that the story wont be completed it makes thing a little easier on us. If you still want to see it finished then some options you can take are: 1. Put a Abandoned tag on it, Please. 2. Put it up for Adoption, 3. Post an outline of the rest of the story and let someone else pick it up from there. These are just some of the things that you can do. This is why I never post any of my stories, because I would never finish them and I would disappoint my readers, that and I think I suck at writing.
2. People who abandon their stories without a word to their readers/fans. If you're going to abandon your story without a word to your readers/fans it get very frustrating. You read so many good unfinished stories that when you get to the last chapter and your so excited for the next one except then it never comes and then your waiting. 2 weeks go by, ok so 2 weeks isn't all that long or bad await for a good story, then another 2 weeks go by and gets us to a month, that's not all that bad when the story is a good one and the chapters are a decent size, then another month, the excitement is waning, and another month, the excitement declining even more, another month and then another, until suddenly its been a year, and then excitement is all but there, instead its already moved on to a different story. I don't know about you but a lot of stories have lost my interest that way, and then it makes me weary to read another one of that authors stories.
2.1. Tiny chapters after such a long wait. The first chapter back after a long wait, I don't mind if its kind of small, but Only if the next chapter posted after the tiny chapter is longer than the tiny one. My definition of a Tiny chapter is anything below a 600 words. A lot of readers hate when this happens.
2.2. Authors who start multiple stories and then never finish their other ones. I don't mind if a author has multiple stories going on. It only bugs readers when an author starts writing one story then starts another and by the time they start the 3rd story the 1st one is forgotten about and the 2nd one get sporadic updates. Then they start the 4th story then the 2nd story gets forgotten and the 3rd gets sporadic updates. Then the 5th and the cycle continues on nothing but one-shots or short stories ever get finished. Its extremely annoying!!
3. To many "Authors Note Not A Chapter" in a story. If you write an "Authors note not a chapter" that's fine if you're letting the readers know about a poll that you put up or that you're taking a short break or anything else, but when the poll is finished or you're back and writing more chapters, Please delete the old "Authors Note Not A Chapter". It's annoying if you see a story that says that it has 6 chapters, but when you start reading it half of the story is actually "Authors notes not a chapter". So please delete old "Authors Notes Not A Chapter".
3.1. An Authors Note taking up more than half the chapter every time. ENOUGH SAID!!
4. Flamers and/or Extremely harsh reviews. ENOUGH SAID!!
5. The Obvious pairings. When it comes to pairings if frustrates me to see so many authors taking the easy way out and using the most obvious pairings. I will be the first to admit that I do have some pairings that I love to see that are apart of the obvious category, but there are still some of the odd ball ones that I love the most. Its always exciting to see a new one. For exp. in the Naruto cat. a Naruto/Fu pairing its not the most obvious pair up there is, but that doesn't mean that I don't like a Naruto/Hinata or Naruto/Sasuke or even Naruto/Sakura pair up, it just gets a little tiring if it's nothing but them. Don't be afraid to branch out!!
Thanks for putting up with my ranting! LOL