Author has written 4 stories for Pokémon, Lord of the Rings, and Harry Potter.
Well, this is my Live Journal page, come and visit and message me, I'll answer and... stuff?
Well, I saw this on iggychan89's page, and as I totally agree with them on this, I reposted it here. Read and learn people, read and learn how to actually articulate English right!
My Fanfiction Pet Peeves:
1. Spelling, spelling, spelling, spelling! If you're writing a story and are not sure how to spell a character's name or just don't remember how to, look it up! The same goes for the names of places and objects as well as general word spelling. If you're not a native speaker of English, get a Beta Reader to help you out.
2. Walls of text. No, just no. It hurts everyone's eyes to try and read nothing but text all clumped together. This includes long paragraphs. Try to cut down the size by splitting long paragraphs into two or three different ones.
3. Stories written like a movie script. Really? What am I reading with these? A future movie or a story written by an author too lazy to type a normal story? The minute I see these I close out the window or tab. They are not exciting or even worth reading.
4. Great summaries that lead me into reading a piece of crap. If you can spend the effort on writing an eye catching summary, then spend it writing a good story!
5. Capitalization. Do I really need to say anything about this one? Titles, the beginning of sentences, and names of characters/places/things need to be capitalized! It's OK to write the story in all lower case to save a millisecond of time, but go back and capitalize all that needs to be capitalized after you finish a chapter!
6. Grammar, need I say more? At least try to get your grammar right. I can understand it being all wonky with speech at times, but that is it.
7. This one is specific to Pokemon fanfics: Some Pokemon do not say their names, yet people still seem to mess this up. The one I see the most with this problem is Charizard. Charizard roars, it does NOT say its name. Any fan of Pokemon who used to watch the show should know this! If you are not sure whether a Pokemon says its name or not, look it up or find a video clip from the show to see if it does or not. How hard is that?
8. This one is also specific to Pokemon fanfics: Getting Pokemon type and general information wrong. Seriously, this is what Serebii and Bulbapedia are for. I don't care how you describe attacks since presentation for attacks changes from game to game and in the show (and some attacks have never been shown), but knowing what type they are and what Pokemon can learn said attacks matters!
9. Chat speak. You DO NOT use things like WTF, BRB, TTYL, THRU, U, and the like in stories! It's one of my bigger pet peeves! Stop being lazy and type out the words or phrases.
10. Stories with all centered text. Do you realized how hard it is for our eyes to read stories like that? Titles and things like that are OK, but the main story should be positioned to the left!
Got the shock of my life looking at reviews. Someone said they liked the way I do direct speech! I hate hate hate doing that! I think i'm terrible at it- as have many of my past and present English teachers (my current one is such a evil prat). So I tank you kindly for that comment! Keep on reviewing please, feedback is always cool!
Nov. 2nd, 2012.
Changed my account name, because I felt the need to alter my stories.
I have returned. I had serious problems involving exams, but a set of straight A's helped the stress a lot! (And an ex-boyfriend was irritating me)
Unsafe External Link
|Community:||Islets of Langerhans|
|Focus:||Books Harry Potter|