Author has written 2 stories for Kingdom Hearts.
City of Origin: Amsterdam (Great city; all you yaoi lovers should pay it a visit...)
Favorite City: Vancouver
Languages (in order of proficiency): Dutch, English, French, Spanish, German, Japanese (now learning)
- Angst: A problem with many fanfics I have come across is that they are set in an idealized world where issues such as depression, rape, suicide and homophobia have no place, and this sadly limits their literary and entertaining potential. A certain degree of angst can add great dramatic quality to a story. Stories that have affected me greatly often have a high degree of angst in them (e.g. Falling Up, Modelos). One of the reasons Final Fantasy VII is such a great and popular game is because of all the angst that is in there! Just think about how depressing the dying world it is set in is (and then think about its similarities to our own...), how deeply traumatic Aeris' death is and how it shows that innocence no longer has a place in society... But also how it shows that humor and angst can go together perfectly well... Almost all fanfiction is about teenagers, and anyone who is or has ever been a teenager knows all about the place of angst in their lives...
- Fantasy: But only high-quality fantasy! My standard for a fantasy story is always higher, because bad fantasy quickly becomes ridiculous..
- Different POV's: Always makes a story more interesting in my opinion! Who isn't excited about stepping out of Sora's mind of adorable innocence and peek at the angst, lust and violent urges that dominate Riku's mental world...
- M-preg: Okay, to everyone who likes to read or (god forbid) write about male pregancy, do either of the following:
1. Seek professional help.
2. Picture a male individual giving birth and make it graphic.
Male pregnancy is a horrible and deeply disturbing attempt at imbuing the lives of homosexuals with traditional domestic bliss! It's WRONG!
- Original Characters: Although I've seen cases where this works out well (a story called Heartbreakers had an interesting OC main character if I remember correctly) they often end up being out of place and uninteresting if given too much attention, although I'm all for using OC's as minor characters.
- Long AN's: In the end it's the story, not the author, that should be in the spotlight.
- Flat Characters: For anyone who is unaware of the meaning of the term, a flat character is a character whose personality remains unaffected and unchanged throughout the story. Classic example: a whiny Sora who remains whiny throughout the entire storyline and yet ends up happily married to (and perhaps pregnant from) a protective Riku. Flat characters are unrealistic and uninteresting! Boo!
Favorite Fanfiction Material: Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy VII
Favorite Pairings: Zack x Cloud, Sora x Riku, Sora x Cloud, Axel x Roxas, Leon x Cloud
Favorite Books: Aargh so many! The a Song of Ice and Fire series, the Understudy (so funny!), the Harry Potter series, Dune (great science-fiction enjoyable for non SF fans like myself), the Inheritance Series (more enjoyable for a younger audience), the Never-Ending story (originally German, did you know?!), the Millennium trilogy, the Golden Compass and its sequels (to a lesser extent), Glamorama, American Psycho, Schijnbewegingen (amazing Dutch book about being gay in homophobic London, a must-read for all gay Dutchmen), the Passion of New Eve, the Lord of the Rings trilogy, the Hobbit, The Song of Achilles (the truth about Achilles' sexuality revealed!), Turkish Delight, The chronicles of Narnia: the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, the 100 Year-Old Man who Jumped out of the Window and Disappeared, Life of Pi
Favorite Films: Kill Bill, the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Das Leben der Andern, Inglourious Basterds, Pan's Labyrinth (Watch it! It's the best!), Pulp Fiction, Intouchables, Jackie Brown, Easy A, the Help, Salt, Volver, Life of Pi (but the book is even better!), Jungle Book, the Reader, Fight Club, Forrest Gump, the Silence of the Lambs
Favorite Games: Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy XIII, Kingdom Hearts (all of them, but the main title will always have the key to my heart), Dragon Age: Origins, Dragon Age II, Megaman Zero Collection, Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria, Okami, Dark Chronicle, Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, Sonic Adventure
About me: I am a student of psychology and literature who loves doing sports, traveling, partying, reading, writing, going to the theatre, cooking and hanging out with my close friends. Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy VII and Kingdom Hearts conjure up feelings of blissful nostalgia within me, and fanfiction for me is a way to reproduce that nostalgia. I was hooked on the Kingdom Hearts series before I even played it, from the moment I heard it combined Disney and Final Fantasy...
Random Philosophical Statements:
- We cannot let child literature die! Let us all throw out the Ipad and mobile phones and instead give our young presents such as the Animorphs, Harry Potter and Alex Rider series before building it up with Narnia, the Hunger Games, the Lord of the Rings and the like! They will appreciate it in the end!
- We cannot let the world we live in die! Stop being a coward and look up those TED talks about what is happening to our oceans and the ozon layer and don't zap away the moment you see a commercial confronting you with seals being brutally clubbed to death and similar horrors! Face the truth and live responsibly, and help where you can!
To anyone who loves Kingdom Hearts and/or Final Fantasy: You're a cool and interesting person, no matter how old you are ;) Also, if you own a ps2 give Dark Cloud 2 (known in Europe as Dark Chronicle) a try! Awesome and somewhat similar games that delight in the same kind of fantastical escapism.
If you have any questions or would like to respond to or ask about anything on my profile or any of my stories, feel free to do so ;)