Poll: If I were to write a Rise of the Brave Tangled Dragons fic, which plot/idea thing would you be most interested in reading? Vote Now!
Author has written 12 stories for Stargate: SG-1, I Am Number Four, Gone, Hunger Games, Legend, Marie Lu, Harry Potter, and Rise of the Guardians.
So I figured that since my profile is just a big empty space, I should probably fill it up a bit. So, hi :)
Favourite Books: Harry Potter (of course), Percy Jackson, Bartimaeus Trilogy, The Outsiders, A Song of Ice and Fire, Ender's Game, Lockwood and Co., I could go on and on
Favourite Movies: Indianna Jones (all except #4), Harry Potter, The Outsiders, Karate Kid, Toy Story (all of 'em), I am Number 4, X-Men First Class and Origins, the Avengers, Iron Man, Dark Knight Rises, Amazing Spiderman, Iron Man, Pirates of the Caribbean, the classic Disney movies, and HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON, WRECK-IT RALPH, RISE OF THE GUARDIANS, THE CROODS AND THE LEGO MOVIE!!!!! FANTASTIC MOVIES!!!!
As you might be able to tell, I'm kind of an animated movie freak :)
Favourite TV shows: Avatar the Last Airbender, Legend of Korra, Teen Titans, Phineas and Ferb, Stargate SG-1, Game of Thrones, Danny Phantom, Community, Arrested Development, Sherlock, Dragons: Riders of Berk, Adventure Time (not quite sure why it's so entertaining, but it is :D ) and HANNIBAL. MY GOD, THAT SHOW, JUST AGHHHHH.
Favourite Games: Skyrim :D Sims Medieval and anything Legend of Zelda. The Last Story is also pretty awesome
So there's a bit about me. At least now my profile doesn't look completely empty :)
Credit for my profile pic goes to my amazing, incredible, drawing friend!
01/25/14 - First update of the new year, and thankfully, it's a happy one! I promise, To Marvel at Death will be updated this week! I am so sorry for the delay everybody, but I hope to make it up to you, not just with a ridiculously long reaping chapter, but with a new victors blog! It has pics and stats for all 37 victors in Darrel the Dragon's Universe of Awesome :) And, if that's not enough, I am in the midst of finishing up a trailer for A Grimm Set of Games - I know the story's already finished, but hopefully everyone will be able to enjoy the video anyways :) Thank you all so much for waiting so patiently and I promise, new chapter soon!
12/15/13 - Just another update, unfortunately, the craziness really hasn't subsided - school projects have turned into applying for post-secondary schools and making such all my porfolios are in order and it's really just an insane time. I'm hoping Christmas Break might give me some time to write, but I don't want to make promises I might not be able to keep, so for now, I'm sorry, but my fanfiction life is just gonna be on hold for a while. Hope to get back to it soon, but until then, I'm sorry everyone!
10/02/13 - It's sad, my updates usually bring not the greatest of news, and unfortunately, this time is no different. I've got a crazy month right now, with a million different things going on, and while I'm trying to keep up with my writing, sadly it doesn't look like I'll be getting too much done until about the middle of November, when the craziness will sort of subside. I'm really, really hoping to update To Marvel at Death before then, but just a heads up, the chapters will come very slowly for now, if they come at all. Sorry everyone, and thank you for your patience!
06/23/13 - All right, so I took down a lot of my stories recently and I'm sorry if anyone was enjoying them. I just felt like a lot of them weren't of the best quality and/or weren't going anywhere. Some of them might go back up when I have the time to thoroughly edit them or think them through more, but for now, I just want to concentrate on the few stories I have going. Sorry everyone!
12/03/12 - And the monstrous, 15 000 word chapter for A Grimm Set of Games is finally finished! Just to let everyone know, I've decided to pretty much only focus on that story until it's finished, since it'd been taking up so much of my time. I'm thinking there's going to be about 9-10 more chapters, including an epilogue, and then I'll get back on track with my other stuff :)
11/08/12 - To everyone reading my stories, I'm really, really sorry none of them have been being updated lately. Life's been hectic, but don't worry, I'm not planning on abandoning them any time soon. They might just take a while to update.
05/10/12 - So summative month is once again upon us, leaving me with a humungous load of homework that I unfortunately can no longer put off. So updates are going to be really slow/almost non-existant for the two weeks as I try madly not to fail any of my classes. Sorry everyone!
Okay, so I figured that since I'm so sporadic with updates, people might appreciate if I put the status's of my story chapters up and how close the next chapter is to being done. So here you go!
To Marvel at Death: Chapter 5 (Red Sky in the Morning) 15%
Tales of Monsters and Mentors: Chapter 3 (Untitled) 0%
My Stories - In General
PRE-GRIMM SET OF GAMES
Kith and Kin: My first ever story on this site, and also, by far, my worst :) Seriously, do not read unless you want a good laugh. Fandom is Stargate SG1, with a lame plot, fairly Mary-Sueish main character and just overall, bad writing. Take my advice and don't read it :)
Captured: Also before A Grimm Set of Games, which is when my writing started actually getting good, so I wouldn't really recommend reading this one either. It's for I Am Number Four, and while I find the books all right, I absolutely love Sam and Six together thanks to the movie. This is one I've often dreamed of rewriting, which I may or may not eventually get to
A Grimm Set of Games: My fairytale SYOT, hugely long and probably the story I'm most proud of up to this point. The first few chapters aren't the greatest, but it's actually kind of fun to see my writing style evolve over the course of this story. It's mostly just your average SYOT, with a fairytale theme and a few plot twists towards the end (district rebellion, whaaaat?)
To Marvel at Death: The sequel to A Grimm Set of Games, with a superhero theme! Hurray! Also a sort of secondary plot alongside the Games with the rebellion growing. Hoping to make this one even better than the last!
Tales of Monsters and Mentors: Not technically a SYOT, but it kind of goes with the other two. After thinking up so many mentors for A Grimm Set of Games, I decided I was quite fond of the characters, and started coming up with all these ideas for their backstories and such. Hence Tales of Monsters and Mentors, a collection of oneshots about the past Hunger Games victors (none of which are canon)
Cookies!: Oh dear lord, please don't read this one. Please. I've continuously been meaning to take this down, but it's not even worth the effort. An SG1 oneshot, written in script format which is totally against FF's rules. Yeah. Don't read.
Field Trip Day: I honestly don't know what I was thinking when I wrote this; it just kinda happened. HG oneshot about a young President Snow taking a field trip to a past Hunger Games arena. Random, with lots of irony and dark humour. Yay :D
Darn You Auto Correct: Funny enough, my most popular oneshot for what's probably the least popular category I write for. Funny Legend oneshot I had the idea for while reading the book - lord knows it needed to lighten up towards the end there! Details the trials of Metias as he works with the dreaded Microsoft Word
Call Me, Harry: Harry Potter songfic parody of Call Me Maybe. I wouldn't read this one either - I suck at songs :P
How does he do it?: I debated making this one longer - I have quite a few ideas of how to parody Gone - but for now, I'm leaving it as a oneshot. Mostly making fun of the ridiculous Drake/OC pairing that ravages this fandom
How the Boogeyman Stole Christmas: I needed to pacify my desire to write for Jack Frost somehow :) Also, I was feeling Christmas-y. Slight parody of How the Grinch Stole Christmas, written in rhyme for Rise of the Guardians
Sharp Words Can Straighten Things Out: My one serious oneshot :O An idea I had while watching the Hunger Games movie. Involves Marvel and a not-so-mysterious other tribute
So I figure it's a good idea to let people know exactly what they're getting into when they read my SYOTs. I don't know if I do things all that differently from the average SYOT writer, but for anyone who's looking to submit and/or read my SYOTs, here's what you can expect:
1) Each Reaping shall be written. I've read quite a few SYOTs where the reapings are skipped, or mentioned really briefly in 1 or 2 chapters. And I can respect that decision because, let's face it, reapings are long. And they can get repetitive really easy. But I choose not to skip them, for two reasons. One, I believe that the reapings give people an excellent opportunity to get to know the tributes, as well as provide a chapter to introduce plot points that might crop up later. And two, I am horrible, horrible with remembering tributes when I read SYOTs. Having reapings to flip back to makes remembering who so and so from such and such district is so much easier :)
2) My SYOTs are long. Clearly shown by A Grimm Set of Games, which has 54 chapters. Not to mention its word count makes it longer than The Hunger Games, Catching Fire and Mockingjay combined. So yeah, prepare to hunker down if you're planning on reading my SYOTs - they're not over quick :) Not to mention some chapters can be like, over 20 000 words
3) I reserve the right to make up weaknesses for tributes. This applies mainly to people submitting. For the most part, I will try as hard as I can to stay true to the form you send in to me, but you may find me embellishing on the occasion. The one thing I can't stand though, is a lack of weaknesses, and be warned, I shall make some up for a tribute if they aren't originally presented to me with a reasonable amount of faults. Oh, and my favourite weakness to give tributes is insanity. So yeah, if you want to avoid that, give your tribute some solid weaknesses :)
4) I don't do sponsoring systems. I can see the appeal of them, and I really think they'd be fun to do, but I don't have them in my stories for a few reasons. One, plot points tend to occasionally centre around sponsor gifts, so I like to choose my own. Two, my brain just cannot handle the math involved to calculate how many points everyone has :) And I don't want any readers to be reviewing just for the sake of getting points and keeping their tribute alive longer. I'd like you to (hopefully) enjoy the story, or, if you're not, then I don't want to be forcing you to review.
5) Capitol people POVs are written in 3rd person, past tense; tributes, victors and other district citizens are written in 1st person present. Don't ask me why, I'm not sure :) That's just kind of how I started writing A Grimm Set of Games and it's stuck with me. I guess I could say it's to emphasise the difference between Capitol people and district citizens, but honestly, I had no good reason for doing it at the time :) I just really feel that the tributes especially should be in first person, because you can connect with them so much better, especially with the powerful emotions they're going through in the arena. Panic, desperation and insanity are A LOT easier to convey in first person - I find it just makes it that much more real
6) My SYOTs take place in Darrel the Dragon's Universe of Awesome. Hehe, I always see people making up alternate universe names for their SYOTs, and I couldn't resist :D Anyways, basically, during the Dark Days, someone sneezed when they shouldn't have and opened up a whole different timeline from the original Hunger Games series. Only real differences are the mentors and the fact that my arenas and mutts are probably a lot less realistic than the main series would have kept it. Also as a note, if you're interested in a full list of the mentors up to this point - this would be good for anyone planning on submitting a tribute with any relation at all to any of the mentors - just PM me and I'll fill you in. That or you could check chapter 46 of A Grimm Set of Games, where most of them are mentioned (chapters 14 and 47 also mention a bit on them, though that's mostly just for the D1 mentors)
7) I go by book canon - sorta. As mentioned above, none of the book's original mentors are in my SYOTs. However, I do follow the book for most things, and NOT the movie. So D5, 6 and 9 in my opinion are "unspecified" districts, and I've taken the liberty of making them muttations/sciency things, medicine and weapons. I just think they're more interesting than power, transportation and grain :) Also, the reapings are as they were in the books (no pricking people's fingers with needles, ouch, plus girls and guys are in the same sections), as are the interviews (tributes are onstage to watch, not backstage).
8) Prepare for continuity errors. LOTS of them. I've been trying to get better at this, honestly, I have, but I have an absolutely awful memory, even when it comes to my own stories. Which is why you'll see so many continuity errors in them. Names changing, injuries switching from one arm to the other - but I swear, I'm going to try and improve on this in the sequel to A Grimm Set of Games. Except for the fact that I want to try and get better at establishing the districts, what they look like, what makes each one individual in the sequel, which may contradict some things I've written in A Grimm Set of Games. We'll just see how it goes :)
9) Tributes die slowly. This kind of goes hand in hand with the whole "my SYOTs are long" thing, but yeah, people are going to die slow. If twenty-four people went through the trouble of making incredible, detailed tributes, I'm not going to just off them all at once. Yes, there will be a bloodbath, but it will by no means be as large as the one in the original series. Also, while I try to make each chapter interesting, there will not be a death every chapter. I'm working with twenty-four amazing characters, who all have sub-plots and backstories going on, and my biggest regret would be killing someone off before I wrapped up their storyline. So yeah, deaths will come slowly, also because it gives each individual one much more of an impact than if I just wiped a whole bunch of people out at once.
That's about all I can think of for now, though I'm sure I'll have more to add later :)
A Grimm Set of Games trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-0OfWEwzTg