Author has written 61 stories for Bakuman, One Piece, Crimson Spell/クリムゾン・スぺル, Fairy Tail, Dengeki Daisy/電撃デイジー, Bleach, Yankee-kun to Megane-chan/ヤンキー君とメガネちゃん, Joker/Clover/Heart no Kuni no Alice, Hetalia - Axis Powers, Shingeki no Kyojin/進撃の巨人, and Okane ga Nai.
Hi, I'm Rhov (rhymes with rose). This is my secondary account, where I hide my Rated M fics that are too bloody, too racy, or too "WTF" for my good-girl account.
Join my Facebook fanpage where I drop spoilers about my writing progress, proudly show off fan art, and give writing tips/advice to help people become better writers.
Become a minion! http://www.facebook.com/RhovAnionsMinions
Name: I've gone by Rhov for 14 years and answer to it in real life.
Location: Oregon, where it always rains...always...
Age: Somewhere over 30.
Sex: Double-X chromosomes, but I'm just "one of the guys."
Horoscope: Leo and a Goat/Sheep, which totally contradict each other. Proud and a leader, yet shy and dependent. No wonder I'm messed up!
Ethnicity: All-American Mixed. Irish, Welsh, Black Dutch, Cherokee, Choctaw...
Relationships: Married, no kids, a cat.
Occupation: housewife, grant proposal writer, former Hollywood extra actress. I still model for photo shoots, nothing gravure.
Physique: Tallest girl amongst my friends, maybe a bit overweight but I hide it well, palest kid in my multiracial family, gray-blue eyes, wavy dark hair to my ankles...yes, insanely long and I love it, don't tell me to cut it!
Personality: Split: intensely shy in real life, flamboyant online. Stubborn for things I feel strongly about, be it socio-economic issues or what I want for dinner; otherwise, I'm laid back. A total tomboy. I love sailing and beer, never wear makeup or bras, abhor shopping, and shiver when my girl friends want to watch a chick flick. I'd rather watch the latest "blow it all to hell" film or comic-book-turned-movie. However, I love braiding my super-long hair in cute styles and wearing Renaissance dresses, so I guess I'm girlie enough to deserve my boobs.
Hobbies: Writing, playing trombone, hair braiding, sailing, hiking, photography, coin collecting, Renaissance Faire and pirate festivals.
Likes: Music, manga, rain, cats, mythology, Italian food, stout beer, and all-you-can-eat shrimp night.
Dislikes: Spiders, balloons, and swimming with fish. I have phobias to them. Also centipedes, cigarettes, and cheap beer.
Strengths: I'm a sponge; I learn things fast. I also absorb writing styles. If I'm reading Robert Jordan, I begin to write like Robert Jordan. If I'm reading a god-awful writer, I start to write crap. Because of this, I don't read much unless I intend to mimic a writer, like reading Stephen King books while working on a horror story.
Weaknesses: Electricity! I kill wristwatches in a week, my cellphone drains itself in a day, I tend to zap out laptops, I frequently get electrocuted badly enough to make my arm go numb, and lightning tries to strike me. It hasn't yet, although my dad got struck.
Favorite Band/Artist: Two Steps From Hell, Adele, Tarja Turunen, Skillet, Evanescence, Within Temptation, Breaking Benjamin, Sigur Rós, Pink Floyd, Enya, Loreena McKennett, Danny Elfman...
Favorite Types of Music: My iTunes has almost every genre. I prefer symphonic metal, post-rock/grunge, New Age, Celtic, and Neo-Romantic music, but I often listen to jazz, classical, ambient, soundtracks (I adore Danny Elfman), hard rock, prog rock, grunge, New Wave, industrial, electronica, goth, country, classic rock-n-roll, Latin rock, Euro-metal, and J-pop. Really eclectic selection!
Favorite Writer: J.K. Rowling is my idol as a woman writer. I'm also a huge fan of JRR Tolkien, Robert Jordan, Heinlein, Tom Robbins, Frank Herbert, and of course Shakespeare.
Favorite Stories: Classics: Hamlet, Persuasion, The Scarlet Pimpernel, Les Misérables, Little Women. Modern: Shibumi, A Personal Matter, Jitterbug Perfume, Sarum, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. Sci-fi: Dune, Ender's Game, Starship Troopers, Journey to the Center of the Earth, anything by Heinlein. Fantasy: The Mists of Avalon, Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion, Windrose Chronicles, the Wheel of Time series. Children's Books: Bridge to Terebithia, Kate's Book, A Wrinkle in Time, The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, Harry Potter series. Graphic Novel: A History of Violence. Manga: Fairy Tail, Kuroshitsuji, Shingeki no Kyojin, Vinland Saga, Dengeki Daisy...okay, that's the top five. So many! Webcomics: Drowtales, Questionable Content, The Way to Your Heart, Sluggy Freelance, Girl Genius: top 5 in that order.
My Dream: To one day make a living as a writer. Yeah, I know, "To dream the impossible dream," but hey, I'm ambitious and stubborn.
My Treasure: My 1951 Olds Super tenor trombone. It's "my baby."
My Inspiration: My muse Ceridwen (or Kerry) is fed on mochas and the essence of trees. Anything too wild is her fault!
My Philosophy: Write what you know. It's cliché, but it's true. There are brilliant stories waiting inside of you. If you don't personally know about something you wish to write about, seek it out. A writer cannot sit in an attic and turn out a masterpiece. Don't be afraid to step into the noisy cantina filled with bizarre creatures. Seek the underbelly of society so you can have your readers experience it. Walk into a forest and listen to the voices of the trees if you want your reader to believe in fairies. A writer creates a world based on their own world. Be loved if your characters must experience love. Accept rejection if your character faces heartache. Suffer pain if you wish to write about the agony of the heart and flesh. Know pleasure if you want to describe a night of passion. Fast for three days if a character must experience starvation. Writers are saints. Writers are whores. Writers are demons. Writers are gods. Writers must be everything.
- Bob and Gray -
* Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese) - Bob và Gray, by Betum, for my good-girl account's hilariously creepy story, Bob and Gray.
- Dangerous Drugs -
* Française - A dangerous drugs, by Fairymangafan
- Lion's Pride -
* Française - La fierté du Lion, by Meijishi
* French repost of La fierté du Lion by Les Histoires d'Alice
* Português - Lion's Pride PT, by Aninha Cristal
- Panty Possession -
* Française - French translation, by KiiTa56
- Wheels of Fire -
* Italiano - Wheels of Fire, by LoLo92 on EFPfanfic
- Beastly Possession - (spoilers)
* Feral Natsu - by Zippi44
* Turning Feral - by Rhov
* Annoyed - by SrngDrgn
* I'm Coming - for Chapter 29, by SrngDrgn
* This Scent! - for Chapter 29, by SrngDrgn
* Defiant - for Chapter 29, by SrngDrgn
* Beware The Red-Eyed Beast - for Chapter 27, by Rhov.
* Caged - for Chapter 19, by SrngDrgn.
* NaLu - Beastly Possession - for Chapter 16, by SkyWarriorKirby.
* Natsu Dragneel's Transformation - for Chapter 9, by SrngDrgn.
* Natsu's Transformation - Anime Style - for Chapter 9, by SrngDrgn.
* Slayer Wants Lucy - for Chapter 8, by SrngDrgn
* Slayer Wants Lucy - Anime Style - for Chapter 8, by SrngDrgn
* Beastly Possession - for Chapter 8, by Rhov.
* Tango for Loke and Lucy - for Chapter 7, by Rhov.
- Fight Me, Bite Me -
* Natsu Cuffed - by Rhov
* Gratsu NSFW - by blissful-birdy
* Gratsu NSFW colored - colors by Rhov, art by blissful-birdy
- Lion's Pride -
*Luke and Loke in the Hospital - for Chapter 50, by Len Hitori De.
* Luke and Asuka - for Chapter 26, by Len Hitori De.
* Lion's Pride - book cover, by AmaiTsukii-chan.
* Loke, Lucy, and Luke - family portrait, by Rhov
- Others -
* Lucy's Spring - by Rhov, for The Season of Lucy.
* Loke as a Lion, Lucy as a Mouse - by becausewhenyoupractiseyouimprove, for The Lion and a Mouse.
* Gratsu Week: Birthday - by graylu232, for Natsu's New Year's Birthday.
* Laxeel - by Rhov, for Sparks Are Gonna Fly.
* Lick My Ice Cream - by 0Eka0 for Lick My Ice Cream.
* Frozen Tears - by Blissful-Birdy, for Regrets in the Crying Sky.
* Regrets in the Crying Sky - by Blissful-Birdy, cover for Regrets in the Crying Sky.
* Blame it on the Alcohol - by Shynii, WIP for Spirit and Blues.
* Juviella - art contest entry of mine that led me to write Juviella.
* Holding Hands - by InfinityAngel92, for Warm, Rough, and Gentle.
* Holding Hands - by amy23000, for Warm, Rough, and Gentle.
* Gray and Natsu: yaoi - for Dance Fighting. NSFW.
RECORDINGS AND VIDEOS
* Natsu Roasting Up a Blazing Fire - Rhov sings karaoke to her Fairy Tail parody for Christmas 2013.
* Sleep Child - Gajeel's lullaby in "Sparks Are Gonna Fly," performed by Rhov.
* Peach of My Eye - vocals only of the song for "Peach of My Eye," sung by Rhov.
* Warm, Rough, and Gentle narration - Aspiring voice actress Sailor Meow Meow narrates my fluffy NaLu story.
* Drive Me Down That Sunset Road - Rose Chan singing Edo-Natsu's song from Wheels of Fire.
* Sunset Road - WolfieANNE sings a charming interpretation of the song "Drive Me Down The Sunset Road" from Wheels of Fire.
* Not Strong Enough - Gift AMV from Moonlessnight126. Gray and Natsu, with heart-pounding fight scenes and an ending that will make you cry.
* Super Psycho Love - AMV upon which "Super Psycho Love" is based.
* Ephemeral, Eternal - Musical cover sung by YcDanceForLove, for Lion's Pride. Amazing voice!
* The Stars Sing For You - My LoLu poem put to music and sung by Girl-In-A-Tiger-Kimono. So cute!
* Fairy Tail Podcast used my poem Merry Christmas, Fairy Tail for their 2011 Christmas special. What a great Christmas gift! The narrator has a sexy voice, whoever you are!
GIFT FICS AND MORE
* The Night Before Christmas - by feralnatsu, a Christmas special for "Beastly Possession."
* Feral Natsu Tumblr Page - made by a fan for "Beastly Possession."
* A Lion's Pride Is Eternal - by PixieJameston, her unofficial sequel to "Lion's Pride." (She has my blessing.)
* Cheveyo's Story - by RickyMast, a prequel to "Lion's Pride" following my OC, the Celestial Spirit Mage Cheveyo.
* Bound - Gajeel/Levy giftfic from Aslan9001
* Discoveries - by Level X, featuring Gray and Natsu reading MY YAOI FANFICS with some hilarious reactions!
* Difficult Love - Fairy Tail gift fic from NowImJustSomebodyThat.
* Hot Ice - I gifted this plot to a talented writer since I tend to lack the time to write stories that pop into my head. I hope you enjoy her take on it. Fairy Tail, GraLu, Rated M.
* A Present For Loke - Giftfic from AJLovesKakashi, my favorite "Loke on catnip" theme.
* Red-Tailed Hawk - Giftfic from Lady Spritzy. I beta'ed this, and I also apparently inspired it. One Piece, Shanks/Mihawk, Rated M.
* Starry Knight - Stargate: SG1 and Knight Rider 2008 crossover written by my husband. It's his first attempt at writing a fanfic, so give him your support.
Stalk me online, I don't care:
Main FFN Account: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2105530/Rhov
AdultFanFiction - http://members.adultfanfiction.net/profile.php?no=1296914581
DeviantArt - http://rhov.deviantart.com/
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/rhov.anion.7
LiveJournal - http://rhov.livejournal.com/
Nanowrimo - http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/rhov
Tumblr - http://brujarhov.tumblr.com/
Twitter - https://twitter.com/BrujaRhov
10 RANDOM FACTS
1) My hair is down to my ankles.
2) I have dyslexia (ABC looks like BCA), dyscalculia (123 looks like 312), and sound-color synesthesia (I "hear colors and see sounds"). My world is an interesting, mixed up place.
3) I have OCD and an obsession with round numbers. All of my stories' word-counts (even individual chapters) land on either 5's or 10's. I'm giddy when they land on 100's.
4) I'm allergic to dogs but not cats.
5) I love learning new instruments. I play trombone, French horn, trumpet, euphonium, tuba, tenor bugle, mellophone, flute, piccolo, clarinet, tenor saxophone, piano, acoustic and electric guitar, recorder, accordion, marimba, timpani, and various percussion instruments. I love trombone best.
6) I have never cried in a movie, but I do cry listening to music.
7) I speak English, Middle English, and Spanish. I studied Italian, but I'm not fluent. I can sort of read Latin and French. My best friend in 2nd grade taught me Swedish, but I've since forgotten most of it. My uncle taught me German, I can understand it if I hear it, but I can't speak it. I'm slowly learning Japanese, Gaelic, and American Sign Language on my own. I've invented 4 languages for fantasy novels.
8) I'm naturally left-handed but learned to write right-handed thanks to a superstitious kindergarten teacher.
9) I'm terrified of balloons.
10) I used to work in Hollywood. I once had a TV role acting in my underwear. The whole nation got to see me playing Sousa on the trombone in a blue bra. I will never do that again!
POSSIBLE FUTURE STORIES
This is a list of story ideas. I get a lot of plot concepts and requests, way too many to write, but tell me which one appeals to you and maybe I can focus on it.
-- Attack On Titan --
* He's Half Your Age - Commander Irvin realizes Eren and Levi are in a relationship and scolds the corporal for seducing a mere teenager. Levi decides to break it off, but Eren has other ideas.
* Let Me Shoulder Your Concerns - After Levi's team is wiped out, the corporal takes his anger and grief out on Eren, beating and raping him in rage. Instead of fighting back, Eren offers to take charge so Levi doesn't have to do all the work and can just get his tension released through the only means he knows how: through sex.
* Shut Up and Eat - Eren gets violently sick, so Levi cares for him, feeding him soup and staying beside him until Eren falls asleep. Awwwww!
-- Bleach --
* Size Matters - Request for IchiIshi yaoi. Ishida reads a statistic on the size of "male anatomy" and Ichigo brags that he's way bigger. Ishida doesn't believe him, so Ichigo shows him. It goes on from there. PWP.
-- Chuck --
* Chuck Versus The Kama Sutra - Request from my husband. Married life can be so good when your partner can access every position in every sex book ever written.
-- Fairy Tail --
* As The World Falls Down - Gratsu collab. Natsu witnesses Gray sacrificing his life in order to save him. How can Natsu possibly go on after realizing just how much Gray cared for him?
* Birthday Tears - LoLu. Birthdays are supposed to be a happy time, but for Loke they are a bitter reminder than Lucy is aging, and one day he'll lose her forever.
* Black Ice - Rogue and Gray meet in a bar during the Grand Magic Games. It ends in a love hotel. Total yaoi PWP.
* Blue Ice, Blue Pegasus - Gray gets sent 50 years into the past, where he’s saved by a dashing man. After a drunken fling, Gray recognizes this savior: young Master Bob! While Team Makarov helps Gray to return to the present, Gray’s interaction with Bob shapes the future of Blue Pegasus.
* Body Electric - Imagine a yaoi story with Laxus as the uke to Natsu. A very domineering uke! It's a twist, that's for sure.
* Catch the Thunder - LaxFre AU. Freed hears that his favorite strip dancer "Thor" is about to get fired because his gruff ways don't get him customers. Freed can save Thor's job, but only by hiring this dancer who, up to now, has always been unattainable perfection.
* Cat's Pride - An omake to "Lion's Pride" that I swear I will write one day. Happy takes Charle on a date, but can he really win her heart? He'll bet his pride on it!
* Dragon Swap - Lucy, Levy, and Mira decide that to better understand their boyfriends, each should spend a day with the three dragon slayers. Later, Romeo comes to the girls asking for advice on how to get Wendy interested in him. Little do they know, Natsu, Gajeel, and Laxus are also being approached by Wendy about how to ask out Romeo, and the advice those three give the little Sky Maiden leads to laughs.
* Erza's Cure for Lucy's Blues - GraLu request. Erza decides it's high time Lucy develops a healthy sexual life, and she's ready to manipulate both Lucy and Gray to do it.
* Father-In-Law - Slight AU. The day has come. Natsu proposed to Lucy, and she accepted. However, Jude Heartfilia is fiercely opposed to this marriage. He's willing to bribe and even threaten Natsu to make sure the wedding never happens. Igneel, however, might have something to say about that!
* Feelings Untold - Gratsuke collab. Gray and Natsu have a drunken night together. Natsu can't remember that he actually confessed, and he insists it meant nothing. Depressed, Gray turns to Loke, who easily seduces Gray to take his mind off the dragon slayer. However, seeing Gray with Loke only gets Natsu furiously jealous.
* From Wife to What? - LuLi yuri request. Lisanna was lovers with Edo-Lucy, and now that she's back in Earthland, she misses her and seeks comfort in Lucy Heartfilia.
* Holy Force of Angels and Demons - AU request. Gray is a nerdy college student who wishes he was like the hot jock Natsu so he could gain the attention of Lucy. A demoness grants his wish, at the sacrifice of his sister Ultear. Jellal is an angel who wants to help Gray save his soul, since Natsu and Lucy are also affected by this red-headed demoness. He joins the secret group Fairy Tail to battle the demoness and get back the people they unwittingly sacrificed.
* Hot Hospital - Two injured mages, one hospital room, one horny dragon slayer, one exhibitionist. This can only be hot.
* How Spirits Came To Be - Brief looks into the past of each Zodiac and how they were placed in the heavens. It's Greek mythology with a twist.
* I Want You To Stay - GraMi request. Gray might be younger than Mira, but he's determined to show her his feelings.
* If You Fight One, You Fight Us All - Request. Laxus sees Wendy being bullied by people who hate Fairy Tail, but when he's ready to step in, she declares that she's determined to fight her own battles. However, you don't pick a fight with the baby of the dragon slayer family. "Dragon Slayers are a family, basically like cousins. If you fight one, you fight us all. And you just picked a fight with the youngest in our family."
* Iron Maiden - Erza and Gajeel are captured, slowly starving and growing weak. Erza must sacrifice the last of her strength Requipping to give Gajeel enough metal to eat so he can get them out. This leaves Erza half naked and too weak to move. Faint Gajza.
* Kitten's Daddy - Blame it on the catnip, but someone knocked up Charle. The problem is, Happy, Pantherlily, Lector, and Frosch don't remember what happened that night. It's the "unknown paternity" story with a kitty twist.
* Let's Forget Women Tonight - Jellal, Loke, and Gray decide to forget about the girls who are either unattainable, reject them, or are psychotically obsessed. It's a boys' night out, too much alcohol, and three really hot men...the rest is just gratuitous yaoi.
* Life After Near Death - Gratsu collab. Gray nearly dies in a fight. Although Natsu saves his life, Gray may never walk again. It changes the two for the worst. Now Gray despises Natsu, feeling weak and indebted, while the dragon slayer is confused at why he's feeling possessive over Gray. The team is falling apart as both deal with tense emotions of regret, shame, slowly awakening passion, and both physical and emotional agony.
* Lion and the Twins - LoLu (?) Lucy realizes Loke is depressed and "cheers him up." Wait, that's not Lucy! Gemini??? Would this be considered a threesome?
* Loke's Christmas Dinner - LoLu PWP. Enough said. I had planned to write it last Christmas and forgot.
* Love Is Too Complicated - Based on some fanart on DeviantArt, it's Lucy, Natsu, Gray, and Gajeel together. Yay foursomes!
* Queen of Rain - Gruvia, another song-inspired story. When Juvia gets an impurity in her water body that must be killed by being frozen, she realizes love is more than infatuation: it's utter trust in your partner.
* Rain Coming Down Sideways - Inspired by the Oregon saying, "It's not really raining unless it's coming down sideways." Juvia first sees Gray hugging Lucy, and it rains. Then she sees Gray kissing Lyon, and it pours. When she finds out why he's doing this, it rains so hard, it comes down sideways.
* Rich, Refined, and Royal - NaLu. Lucy's father set up an arranged marriage before his death. Lucy is against it until she meets this young, charming baron. The man is perfect in every way, except one: Natsu can't stand him. How can an uncouth dragon slayer win against a chivalrous noble? Natsu decides it's time to learn proper manners. God help us!
* Shadow Mate - Rogue/Lucy request. Since everyone is busy and Natsu is sick, Lucy goes on a mission alone only to end up overwhelmed. She's rescued by Rogue, who also seems to be sick. The problem is, it's not the flu. It's mating season.
* Stellar Reversal - What if the cast of Fairy Tail were Celestial Spirits? Natsu as Draco, Cana as Aquarius with a jug full of sake, Happy as Leo...still trying to figure out roles.
* Ten For Laxus - A challenge to write a massive orgy. It started with Laxus simply wanting to torment Elfman by making him watch Laxus and Mira together. However, Freed's runes make things get way out of hand as more and more people get caught in the trap. Who better to handle ten people at once than Laxus! (P.S. - Writing orgies is really hard!)
* That Vision in My Head - GraLuCa. Ever since Tenrou Island, Gray has been haunted by the sight of Cana grabbing Lucy's bosom. Now when he sees his blonde teammate, he wants that again. Not to grab her breasts himself, but to watch Cana and Lucy. A drunken night might just fulfill his naughty fantasy.
* Your Fruit - Natsu heard the FT boys talking about women's boobs like fruit, so he wonders...what's Lucy's "fruit" like?
-- Hetalia --
* An American Abortion - America loves all his children. He never thought he'd need an abortion. The story of the State that never had a chance at life: the State of Jefferson.
-- Love So Life --
* Break In - Based on a true story of my babysitting days. Shiharu takes the twins to the park, but when they return to Seiji's house, the door is wide open and a picture frame has been shattered in the entryway. Shiharu is ready to run to the neighbors to call for help when Aoi dashes inside the house, eager to catch the burglar. She's faced with the terror of entering a home that might have a robber inside, or leaving the poor toddler to face an enemy alone.
-- One Piece --
* A Doctor's Touch - Since joining the Straw Hats, Law keeps trying to get Luffy alone. His flirtatious actions piss off Zoro, which is precisely what the shichibukai wants. ZoLaw. I'm totally fangirling over Law lately.
* Bound By Blades - Mihawk and Zoro training time yaoi. Because really, I can't get enough of these two!
* I'll Show You Hell - Finally, the Straw Hats can relax and talk about their two years. When they learn about Sanji and the okama, Zoro can't stop teasing him about it. Sanji decides to show Zoro what sort of hell he enduring. Zoro just might have a fetish for Sanji wearing makeup.
* Shanghaied - All Zoro wanted was to go to a pub and get drunk. Instead, he is abducted by Shanks and Mihawk. What could a yonko and shichibukai possibly want with the (hot) swordsman?
* Why Don't You Stay - In the future, Zoro married Robin, yet he keeps having an affair with Sanji. He wants Zoro to stay with him, knowing he's unsatisfied with his marriage. However, Zoro keeps leaving back to Robin, and Sanji is getting sick of being played.
* Time Flies - Voyager ends up in the past. They stop a madman from stealing a Navy ship...something that was supposed to happen. Now the killer is almost dead, and the Doctor needs to save him so he can murder and put time back on track. This was actually my very first fanfic, written before this site existed. I'd post it, but...it sucks. I really need to rework this.
MY WRITING HISTORY - People have asked how I got into writing. This is the boring story about how I took up the pen.
Once upon a time, I couldn't read. I don't mean when I was 2. I mean when I was 9 years old. I have dyslexia, so the letters in words never look the same twice. I kept hearing that it was a "learning disability." Disable meant I wasn't able, right? So if I'm not able to learn, why try? That was the mentality of the schools who passed me on without a care, and it became my mentality. I insisted I didn't need to learn how to read in order to get a job, and I'd argue with people, listing jobs I could do that didn't require a reading skill.
However, there's a twist to this sad and common tale. I loved inventing stories. When I was 5-8 years old, I drew pictures to remind myself of scenes, and then I'd put on plays for my family, using Barbie dolls and action figures for the characters, as I followed the drawn "script" and recited impromptu dialog in various voices for each character. Luckily, I matured away from She-Ra Versus the Evil Overlord T'Dee Baire. (Yes, my teddy bear was evil, and the Ewoks were his minions!) I drew story panels for what I hoped would be a TV dragon cartoon; it later became the basis for a novel I'm still writing.
At the age of 9, a teacher finally came along who gave a damn. He worked hard with me and instilled a drive to learn. I have a well-developed stubborn streak that gets me into trouble, but this teacher used that to push me. He told me that what I had wasn't a "learning disability," but a learning challenge. I could either surrender and give up, or accept the challenge and fight.
I decided to fight! Forget disabilities and crap! I was not going to be a "special student" ever again! I was going to learn how to read, dammit! I wanted to tell all those stories collecting in my head, and that meant overcoming the dyslexic letter shuffle, even if it meant slowing down, forcing myself to spell properly, and patiently waiting until I could see the words correctly. The first novel I attempted to read on my own was Little Women. It took me a whole school year, but I did it. When I read how Jo became a writer, I knew right then, that was what I wanted to do with my life.
I didn't just overcome dyslexia. I kicked its ass! I got out of those uncaring remedial reading classes, and once I mastered the dyslexia problem, I flew through my courses. By 7th grade, I was in Honors English. When I was 11, I asked my teacher if she thought a kid could write a novel. She assured me, it had been done before, and someone with enough passion could do it. So, I began to write my first full-length novel, which would take me another seven years to complete. It sucked. Really, it did. But it was a start.
I kept writing smaller stories and poems. I published my first poem at age 11 and was featured in the anthology Best Poets of the '90s when I was only 13. I entered writing contests throughout middle school and high school, winning cash prizes. For one short story contest, I won a trip to the U.S. Capitol. In college, I majored in English and Music with a focus on creative writing and music theory. I was ready to make a career out of this "disability." Take that, dyslexia! I admit, it's still an immense daily challenge, but I won't let those mixed-up letters stop me.
I wanted to give back, though. I pushed myself to learn how to read and write despite my "learning challenge," but some people never had a teacher to instill that sort of drive. In high school, I volunteered as a teacher's assistant for an English-As-A-Second-Language class for learning-impaired Hispanics, helping them not only to learn English, but to fight dyslexia, ADHD, and other learning challenges. While in college, I tutored home-schoolers, many of them with medical conditions and learning challenges, teaching them English, Spanish, history, science, music, and photography. At 19, I became the chief editor of an online newsletter. Over the years, I've done written content and HTML work for many websites, including a politician, a music band, small businesses, and non-profit organizations. Today I work as a grant proposal writer and freelance fiction writer while playing trombone in a local symphonic band. I'm working toward getting my first novel published.
When I get stuck on a story, I turn to fanfiction to get those creative juices flowing. I currently have a massive case of writer's block on my novel, so I've been writing a lot more fanfics lately. Lucky you!
"Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia." - E.L. Doctorow
"Writing is fun. In what other profession can you research the proper technique of sexual whipping, the best routes to enter the United States illegally from Mexico, how to grip a knife in order to make a fatal stab wound to the chest with a 3-inch blade, reports of supernatural phenomena in amusement parks, the psychology of Exhibitionism, Wiccan spells to banish an evil spirit, and the mentality of a rapist, all without people thinking you're criminally insane?" - Rhov Anion