Author has written 2 stories for Prometheus, 2012.
- made a beta profile, for a laugh. Does anyone actually use betas anyway? (25th Jan. 2013: did a beta reader pass on a chapter from Cruxses' "Voyage into Paradise". It's an odd experience, beta reading. One must balance the temptation to overwhelm the original style, even as some changes are inflicted on the text.)
- started a blog:. Fairly math/science/tech oriented, but if a post has a title starting with "On fiction", then it's safe to read even if you don't care much about the harder sciences. My answers to reviews are made public there, and it's also there that I might give a peek behind the scenes for my fics. Watch this space for the relevant links.
- incidentally,. I'll make another post, should any reviews for the final three chapters of PS crop up. And if/when enough reviews for DMS accumulate.
- Jan 19th 2013: so yeah, two chapters into "Driving Ms Shaw". I don't know yet whether the final result will match my initial ambition, but one thing will apparently be different between PS and DMS. PS totals 38k words in its 13 chapters. A mere two chapters in, DMS surpasses 11k (not counting the notes, which are also very verbose). The much increased word count isn't me getting indulgent with description either. It does help, a lot, to have some outline, some idea of what the several conflicts in the story are. In other words, there is a meaty story to tell.
Tentative update schedule
- (19th January 2013:) I'll start editing the text of Paradise Sought soon. A month or two for the process to complete before I upload the changes. I'll post some commentary on the blog later.
- (19th January 2013:) Ch2 of Driving Ms. Shaw is online! Monster it was to write, as parts insisted to be written out of chronological order, and I'm finding out thriller plots are difficult to get right. Still, it's here, go check out the second chapter of the best Bishaw fic on the site! (And the only Bishaw fic on the site, but whatever :P ) Ch3 in two-three weeks.
I've got a reasonably large range of interests, from various branches of science all the way to surrealist art. I hate surrealist fiction though, I want coherence in a story.
I don't read as much fiction as I think I should. I certainly don't write nearly as much, but I'm trying to improve both counts somewhat.
Detailed constructive criticism is welcome. If you feel inspired to leave a review, don't shy away from mentioning things that you didn't like, and why.
My ambition: let's just say, a lot of pop-sci being published today is crap. I want to be able to write pop-sci that isn't crap, both from a scientific and literary perspective. Naturally I also imagine myself to write sci-fi at some point, though I wonder whether fanfic dot net is the best place to get the necessary preliminary savaging, lol.
Whatever. They say everyone has 10000 bad drawings in them and the sooner you get them out the better. Something similar must be valid for stories too. I try to make mine good, and I hope you enjoy them, but if that fails, tell me about it!
Unsafe External Link