Author has written 8 stories for Harry Potter, Evangelion, Anime X-overs, Buffy: The Vampire Slayer, Cthulhu Mythos, Bible, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, Negima! Magister Negi Magi/魔法先生ネギま！, Book X-overs, and Stargate: SG-1.
I am a College student at George Brown in Toronto, and an amateur writer. I love reading Fanfics, and one of my Fav. Authors is Gabriel Blessing.
I have started many Fanfics, but Shadows Over Hogwarts is the first one that I have managed to get the ideas to flow well enough for me to feel comfortable with posting it.
I loathe when people feel the need to italicize, bold, or (god forbid) italicize & bold spells/techniques, out side of combat situations, especially when it occurs in a descriptive paragraph with pointless translations after the techiques, like "and the naruto used kage bunshin no jutsu (shadow clone) and then he used Rasengan (spiraling sphere) and then he used kagebunshin no jutsu (shadow clone) again" as it seriously cuts into the suspension of disbelief, and anyone who reads fanfiction should already either know the translation, or be used to not having translated techniques.
My views on the Harry Potter universe;
1. Dumbledore is the root of all evil in the Potterverse
a) He is the headmaster, so keeping Snape and the Slitherins in line would not be seen as favoritism, but rather as DOING HIS JOB, so every evil committed by the Slitherins that would have been stopped if he wasn't such a self-assured coward are all directly attributable to him. as headmaster of the school which all English magic users must attend to be allowed to keep their magic he has the ability to shape the thoughts and knowledge of his students, so the bigoted bent of British magical society is at least partially his fault
b) He created Voldemort, and enabled him and then did not stop him when he had the chance, leaving that job to a poor abused boy.
c) He purposefully placed Harry with the Dursleys with the express purpose of having him so tortured and belittled that he would see his own life as so worthless that he would gladly throw it away to escape it, as well as to make himself seem like the benevolent Grandfather and Mentor who Harry would look up to and follow without thought for taking him away from said torment.
d) Not so much evil as extremely bad taste, not to mention extremely rude, is how he gives Harry the invisibility cloak for Christmas. It is not his to give, it belongs to Harry. Its like "hey, I borrowed this car from your dad right before he died, so, well, Happy Sixteenth Birthday! Have a car!"
2. Voldemort is a complete Idiot and drama queen: self evident.
3. Forgiveness is unforgiveable... much more so than some stupid killing curse
a) why was Malfoy forgiven? the remaining Death Eaters should have been rounded up and tossed through the veil.
b) if Dumbledore wasn't so obsessed with forgiveness he would have actually been able to get up off his ass to fix things
4. Obliviate should be an unforgiveable: imperio takes away free will, crucio takes away rational thought, the killing curse takes away the future, and Obliviate takes away the past.
5. Ron and Hermione should never have ended up together
a) They argue far too much to be happy together, and their relationship would get abusive in no time flat.
b) Ron gets jealous far too easily and is a useless schlub: He would never let Hermione get anywhere in life, keeping her barefoot and pregnant for the rest of her life because he can't stand seeing her outperform him, which she would given even a fraction of a chance while he is stuck in the lowest rung of the ministry or riding on Harry's coattails.
6. The Philosopher's Stone's elixir of life: how does it work? does it cure what ails you? if so then wouldn't it revert your body to its highest state, meaning just finished puberty? If it does, wouldn't the Flamell's have another hundred or more years left to live?
7. not a problem with the novels, but rather with the fanfics... too much reliance on spellcheck. A tome is a book, a tomb is a grave, get it right!
8. Why do so many people decide that Harry's full name is Harrison? His fathers name was James, not Harry. The long form of harry is Harold.
Naruto fics: I wish people would base their Rasengan off the description rather than the anime effect of the technique (it is supposed to shred a hole into the target using countless blades of chakra, not give them a nasty bruise and the Team Rocket treatment). when you consider that the final step of creating the Rasengan is learning to control it and not let it blow up when it contacts something, the explosive "blasting off again" that happens in the anime is a back-step to the unfinished step 2 where you can't contain the power.