Author has written 1 story for Harry Potter.
So, three years later and I'm back. I've decided to keep Guardians of Hogwarts up as an old shame and to remind me just how bad my writing has been. Other than that I'm removing most of the story ideas I had and will be concentrating on new, non-Harry Potter things. Three-Way Battle is still up because, unlike the other stories I had said about, I actually still like it, although I don't think I can write well in the Harry Potter universe at the moment. Currently got plans for an Elder Scrolls fic, a SW:TOR fic, a D&D/Elder Scrolls crossover and a series of Dragon Age fics although I've no idea when they'll start appearing.
NOTE: I'm putting up Three-Way Battle for adoption, if anyone wants to take it on the idea's there. Just reference me when you post it.
Hey, guessed I'd better start this up, I'm an 21 year old male uni student in England, although I've got Welsh ancestry and I show it proudly (so please spell it correctly, I'm annoyed at people using the wrong spelling, suggesting that I come from the back of a huge aquatic mammal rather than a country).
Things that annoy me about Harry Potter AU stories.
(a quick list of things I keep finding that come up time and time again on this site that are for one reason or another wrong/severely annoy me)
1. Hogwarts can't be Camelot - basically the geography is all wrong, if you think about it Hogwarts is somewhere in the Scottish highlands, Arthur was most likely Welsh (if you go by most of the legends) and the fact he fought against Anglo Saxons (who invaded Britain from the South East) puts Camelot in the lands of Wales (in fact modern day belief is that Camelot was a castle somewhere around Chester which is just the other side of the Welsh border with England and given that Chester is about 130km away from the Scottish BORDER), far away from Scotland, which was under control of the Picts (or the Scots or the Irish, I can't remember their exact name, regardless they'd of been Arthur's enemies) at that time and thus as it is impossible for one castle to be in two separate countries Hogwarts can't be Camelot.
2. Everyone can become an animagus in a click of their fingertips. - So, it took the Marauders a few years to get their animagus forms, so when I see people (and not just Harry) get them in a few months it kinda defeats the point. Surely if it was that easy everyone and their wife would be an Animagus. Yeah OK sometimes they have Sirius helping them in one form or another and I know it'd get boring continuously writing about them slowly gaining control over their powers but still. It must take time. And don't even get me started on these potions that instantly let you transform.
3. Cannon should be fired - Ok so I made a joke there. but anyway, on with the rant. I get that some people get the idea of 'ooh yeah I wonder what would happen if we added an extra character in somewhere before Harry knew he was a wizard' Brother/Sister/Uncle whatever, good idea I like that. But then to go through the first two or three years with no change whatsoever from Canon. What's the point? I don't know maybe some people like re-reading the books for free with an extra tag-a-long person but for me it doesn't do, if your going to write an AU story, what's the point in sticking by canon with only one or two changes. Ooh big deal your OFC used Incendio on the Devil's Snare instead of Hermione. You know, AU and canon aren't the same thing for a reason.
4. If you're going to use an existing form of travel at least spell it correctly. Short one this, but rather annoying. So let's keep this simple, in the books and just about everything else canon it is Floo Powder you use the Floo and it is Flooing, not Flew Flue Floe, Flewing Fluing Floeing or anything else like that. Get your facts right before you start writing Fanfiction.
5. Nicknames. Another short one, and I CBA to work out a clever name for it. To put it simply it's spelled Moony, notice that there's no E anywhere near it, so why do people spell it Mooney or some other variation I have no idea.
Three-Way Battle (Idea Up for Adoption)
Summary: Unlike in Canon, when the Ministry of Magic falls a mass exodus is conducted by none other than Delores Umbridge, creating The Old Ministry, a third side in the second wizarding war fighting both Voldemort and Harry and the Order of the Pheonix.
Yes, I know a new idea from me, it's been a while. Still this is basically a plot bunny I've had for a small while that I can't get rid of and quite like the idea of. Basically something happens along the timeline that makes Umbridge loyal purely to the ministry so when Voldemort kills Fudge she and as much of the Ministry as she can gather skedaddle out of there and set up somewhere else. Like in Canon she'll still have the locket horcrux but unlike in Canon she'll be willing to work alongside Harry against Voldemort in return for some 'favours' both during and after the war. No idea for pairings but it'll probably be Canon.