Let me introduce myself (even though I doubt anyone is really interested :-p): I'm 23, French and a real fanfiction addict!
As you can see for the lack of stories, I'm not a writer, I'm just here to read and get my daily fix of fanfiction - I truly admire the talent of some of the authors I've encountered here but since I'm not able to be quite so eloquent with words, I leave this in their capable hands.
I mostly roam three fandoms: Harry Potter, Hunger Games and Once Upon A Time. Although I recently looked up some Bellarke because The 100 is a completely awesome show.
Harry Potter was actually what drove me here in the first place. Like many people from my generation, I grew up reading those books (from 4th to 10th grade!) and I really really love them (even though I was sorely disappointed by the movies…).
At first I was interested in HP/GW or HG/RW but the turning point was when I stumbled across RLSB (aka Wolfstar) fics! They're just awesome together.
As an unconditional Sirius fan (yes, I freely admit that I still cry whenever I read OOTP), I enjoy the Marauders era even more than the trio's era. There's so much more to be done with them than with Harry, they are much more interesting.
I read AU as well as canon (well, as canon as Wolfstar can ever be) but due to my tendency to get overemotional, I try to steer clear of canon because we all know how that ends... I really can't forgive Rowling for killing off every single Marauder, especially now that I've read hundreds of stories about them.
And while I will always love this story, reading fanfictions made me aware of so many plot-holes or incoherencies that my teenage mind overlooked.
I could go on about this fandom for hours, but for now I'll just state a few things:
- Mooney is NOT an acceptable spelling. I'm sorry, I know PoA scenarists are complete incompetents but that's not a reason to follow their lead. I'll let slide one misspelling but when it's a regular occurrence in a fic, I'll just move on, no matter how good. Why? Because it shows that you paid more attention to the movies than to the books.
- Please stop writing Remus as a weak crybaby. The boy is a goddamn werewolf for Merlin's sake!
- Nicknames. Do consider how ridiculous some nickames are before writing them, I beg you. Besides they already have nicknames, they don't need a dozen others.
- I don't care if they lived in the 70's. Boys with hair to the waist is not only ridiculous and impractical (it's true for women too btw), it more importantly never would have been allowed by school policy.
- Can someone please explain to me how they managed to butcher PoA to such an astounding degree? I mean, it's written black on white that a werewolf is only subtly different from a regular wolf and yet they gave us this horrendous thing. People, even Twilight has better werewolves. Twilight!
I'll stop here my rant about the movies or we'll be here all night. I just find what they did with my beloved books so tragic. I'm not against adaptation, far from it. The Lord of the Ring is a masterpiece, because Jackson respected the text and the atmosphere of Tolkien's world (much less in the Hobbit btw, and it's consequently not up to LotR's standards). Harry Potter's scenarists trampled over it.
Then I turned to Hunger Games when I reread the books at the time of Catching Fire's release (movie). My favourite pairing is of course Everlak!
What I like about this book is that Collins doesn't feel the need to wrap up life in a pretty paper: life is unfair, cruel and thinking otherwise will just get you killed! This series conveys so much emotion, so much pain…
And I must say that some authors managed to capture this style and do really beautiful things with it!
And last but not least: Once Upon A Time, and my OTP: Captain Swan!
I started watching this when it first aired in France (i.e. at least six months after the US), and I soon became completely addicted! And since I watch it in English (because French voices make me want to rip my own ears off and brutally murder whoever butchered Killian's lovely accent :-p), I now get it right away (thank the gods for whoever invented streaming!).
I'm glad to say that after two seasons (the 3rd one was really great), this OTP is now canon! But I'm quite disappointed with season 4, which is why I'm currently back to my first love Wolfstar. Season 5 looks promising though!
I read many many other things, not the least of all being LOTR (for which I can't bring myself to read fanfiction, but if you have suggestions feel free to share it!), Pride and Prejudice, Eragon…
I'm a huge Sherlock fan and also watch Arrow/The Flash, Vampire Diaries/The Originals, the epic Game of Thrones (which I also read), The Big Bang Theory, some "historical "series (The Tudors, the Borgias), The 100, Agents of Shield, Revenge, Scandal, Daredevil…
It's actually a wonder that I find time to study at all xD (It's a lie. I don't.)
Please don't be offended if I stop following your story, it merely means that I've read it since I use this as a bookmark technique :-p
I do try to review most of the stories I read but being quite busy with my studies (and quite lazy too, to be honest…) I have mastered impressive procrastination skills and often fail to keep this promise.
Thanks for stopping by, and don't hesitate to PM me if you want to chat or get some reading suggestions (I keep a list of everything I read), I promise I don't bite (much)!