Happy holidays! Welcome to the FFnet account for the Castle Hiatus Ficathon!!! We’re looking forward to help make this hiatus fly by a little quicker.
This 'contest' is not a competition against others as much as it's a challenge for yourself to see if you can write a story of a specific word count during the time of the Castle winter hiatus. This time around, we’re offering two word count challenges: Ficathon, where the challenge is to write 15,000 words, and Maxificathon, where the challenge is to write 30,000 words.
Because this hiatus is shorter, we thought it would be fun this time around to have a theme, but we didn’t want to restrict creativity. Therefore the theme of this ficathon will be Alternate Universe. Please note that this theme is NOT compulsory - you can write ANY story you like - it is simply recommended, for fun - and because there can never be too many AUs to read ;-)
The purpose of this account is merely to post the rules and to serve as a place for everyone to go to find the Ficathon stories. Stories will be posted to participant's own accounts ONLY but can be found under the 'favorites' section here. Links will also be retweeted through the Ficathon twitter account, @CastleFicathon and reblogged on tumblr, castleficathon.tumblr.com
Now, onto the rules:
1. Writing time will officially be December 9, 2014-January 11, 2015.
2. No writing is to take place before this time but you can prep/outline/brainstorm all you want. This is because…
3. The goal is to post a story 15,000 words in length written during the hiatus and updated at least once a week (we could say at Castle time if you need a goal but that isn't set in stone). Stories can be longer than 15,000 words, and don't necessarily need to be complete by January 11, BUT in order to be considered a 'winner' and earn the bragging rights that go along with that along with the fabulous certificate of completion at the end, at least 15,000 words need to be published on FFn. We will also have a Maxificathon. The goal for this is 30,000 words, and entries do not need to be complete, but the word count does need to be achieved. (Please note: if you shoot for a higher word count challenge, but only achieve a lower one, you will still be considered to “win” the lower achievement- for example, if you aim for the Maxificathon but only achieve 20,000 words, you will still receive recognition for achieving the Ficathon level.) There will not be a Minificathon for this hiatus.
A NOTE ABOUT WORD COUNT: FFnet counts all words that you load to their site including author’s notes, dedications, thank yous, chapter recaps and disclaimers. While you’re certainly welcome to include such things in your chapter updates, THESE DO NOT COUNT TOWARDS YOUR TOTAL WORDS. The 15K MUST be words of the story only.
4. Stories are to be posted to your own FFnet account but MUST HAVE 'Castle Winter Hiatus 2014 Ficathon Entry' somewhere in the summary. It is the author’s responsibility to notify us that your fic is an entry, either by Twitter, Tumblr, email, or PM. If your fic isn’t listed on this page, it is not considered an official entry. If we’ve missed your message (and sometimes these things happen, and we are truly sorry about this!) don’t be shy about messaging us again! Also, if you post a chapter to Twitter make sure you tag @CastleFicathon or use the hashtag #CastleFicathon in your post so that it can be retweeted to those following the Ficathon account. On tumblr, please use the tag “Castle Ficathon” for ease of reblogging. (The tumblr did not get enough love in summer but we are striving to change that this time around.)
Social media is a HUGE tool in growing your reader base and we hope that writers will take advantage of this opportunity. We love spreading the news of new stories and chapter updates but apologize that we cannot promote your story on our own. It is IMPERATIVE that you tag us or use the hashtag as this is the ONLY one we are tracking so if you use any variation on this, we won’t see your update.
5. There is no genre or rating limit. Stories can even be a series of short stories/one-shots as long as it was all posted in the same 'story'.
6. We would also strongly recommend that the writers pair up and beta each other’s stories. This is a great motivational tool for both parties. We do not have a buddy system set up for Winter but will gladly RT/reblog beta requests on twitter/tumblr to assist in your search.
7. A certificate of completion and bragging rights will be awarded at the end so that everyone knows you participated in and successfully completed the Castle Winter Hiatus Ficathon.
8. Our own Angie (Dtrekker) had offered to make cover art for Ficathon writers who are interested. (She’ll also be designing the certificate for the 'winners'.) You can contact her on Twitter: @dtrekker or email her: Angie12thP@hotmail.com
9. Having a hard time getting started? We’ve compiled a bank of prompts based off the theme of AUs to get your creative juices flowing. The list can be found on our tumblr (castleficathon.tumblr.com/prompts) and all are fair game to choose from! Again, the theme is not compulsory but we hope that some of the ideas can provide a jumping off point for folks that are stuck.
-Berkie and Lou
Questions? Concerns? Contact us!
PM here on FF
Unsafe External Link