Greetings! Welcome to the FFnet account for the Castle Summer Hiatus Ficathon 2015!!! We’re looking forward to help make this hiatus fly by a little quicker.
This 'contest' is not a competition against others as much as it's a challenge for yourself to see if you can write a story of a specific word count during the time of the Castle summer hiatus. Like last Summer, we’re offering three word count challenges: the Minificathon, where the challenge is to write 25,000 words, the Ficathon, where the challenge is to write 50,000 words, and the Maxificathon, where the challenge is to write 75,000 words. We strongly encourage and challenge authors to choose to aim for a higher word count level. The Minificathon is only in place to include people for whom even a low word is a struggle- the true aim, as always, is 50,000 words.
The purpose of this account is merely to post the rules and to serve as a place for everyone to go to find the Ficathon stories. Stories will be posted to participant's own accounts ONLY but can be found under the 'favorites' section here. Links will also be tweeted through the Ficathon twitter account, @CastleFicathon and blogged/reblogged on tumblr, castleficathon.tumblr.com
Now, onto the rules:
1. Writing time will officially be May 12-September 20, 2015.
2. No writing is to take place before this time but you can prep/outline/brainstorm all you want. This is because…
3. The goal is to post a story 50,000 words in length written during the hiatus and updated at least once a week (we could say at Castle time if you need a goal but that isn't set in stone). Stories can be longer than 50,000 words, and don't necessarily need to be complete by August, BUT in order to be considered a 'winner' and earn the bragging rights that go along with that along with the fabulous certificate of completion at the end, at least 50,000 words need to be published on FFnet. In a similar manner with the Mini- and Maxificathons, entries do not need to be complete, but the word count does need to be achieved. (Please note: if you shoot for a higher word count challenge, but only achieve a lower one, you will still be considered to “win” the lower achievement- for example, if you aim for the Maxificathon but only achieve 65,000 words, you will still receive recognition for achieving the Ficathon 50,000 words.)
A NOTE ABOUT WORD COUNT: FFnet counts all words that you load to their site including A/N’s, disclaimers, and recaps of previous chapters. THESE DO NOT COUNT TOWARDS YOUR TOTAL WORDS. The 75/50/25K MUST be words of the story only.
4. Stories are to be posted to your own FFnet account but MUST HAVE 'Castle Summer Hiatus 2015 Ficathon Entry' somewhere in the summary so that readers know. Also, if you post a chapter to Twitter make sure you tag @CastleFicathon or use the hashtag #CastleFicathon in your post so that it can be retweeted to those following the Ficathon account. On tumblr, please use the tag “Castle Ficathon” for ease of reblogging.
Social media is a HUGE tool in growing your reader base and we hope that writers will take advantage of this opportunity. We love spreading the news of new stories and chapter updates but apologize that we cannot promote your story on our own. It is IMPERATIVE that you tag us or use the hashtag to make sure that we see the post to retweet/reblog.
5. There is no genre or rating limit. Stories can even be a series of short stories/one-shots as long as it was all posted in the same 'story'.
6. We would also strongly recommend that the writers pair up and beta each other’s stories. This is a great motivational tool for both parties. If you need help finding a beta, please let us know and we’ll see what we can do to find you a volunteer.
7. A certificate of completion and bragging rights will be awarded at the end so that everyone knows you participated in and successfully completed the 3nd annual Castle Summer Hiatus Ficathon.
8. Our own Angie (Dtrekker) had offered to make cover art for all Ficathon writers who are interested, anytime during the summer. She will also be designing the certificate for the winners. You can contact her on Twitter: @dtrekker or email her at: Angie12thP@hotmail.com
9. Having a hard time getting started? We’ve compiled a bank of prompts to get your creative juices flowing. The list can be found on our tumblr (castleficathon.tumblr.com/prompts) and all are fair game to choose from! Also, you are in no way limited to these prompts, they are simply provided as a jumping off point for people that are having a tough time coming up with a story.
We believe in you!
-Berkie, Hope, and Jill
Questions? Concerns? Contact us!
PM here on FF