Poll: In 'A Warning From the Future', When should Harry, Susan and Hermione start having children?there will be no weddings unti after seventh year is completed. Vote Now!
Author has written 12 stories for Harry Potter.
02/07/2018: This is way down the line, but you might as well kno my position no: I, The Ghostly Minion, swear this writer's oath: Upon my keyboard and imagination I swear to write a "Harry and Hermione become pregnant" story. It shall be a Post-Hogwarts story. They shall acknowledge their mutual love and will marry joyously. There will be plenty of drama. None of that drama shall hinge on their relationship for each other, though it will mostly be on other's reactions to their relationship ,pregnancy and marriage. As I have sworn, so mote it be!!!
01/07/2018: In about two and a half hours, I will be 61. To celebrate, I'm having the Vampire's special (2 units packed red blood cells, hold the garlic, mirror and crucifix). Then I get to have a nice lobster dinner with my wife and daughter. Later, I get to set up a new piece of glucose monitoring equipment. Do I live the life, or what? Anyway, should anyone feel the urge, lift a glass of whatever in my honor.
12/31/2017: First, to all of you already in 2018, Happy New Year!!! The rest of us will join you soon.
12/20/2017: Thanks to everyone for your patience. The laptop went on the fritz and I just got it back. First order of business will be finishing 'Sleep Walker'. I'm anticipating that the last two chapters could well double the length of the story!
12/08/2017: We have updates!!! 1. A corrected first chapter for 'Lazarus Long. 2. The Teaser for Chapter Two of 'Long' Please have a look, I feel this will be a really special story. 3. A corrected chapter two for 'O Make Central, citing chain.reader.
12/07/17: I'll have something out yet this week!
12/01/17: I regret that November passed without any updates. The end of the month saw me fighting the effects of an infected tooth. Yesterday, I finally got it and another tooth extracted and I feel much better. The 'LL' teaser will be done soon and I hope the entire start of the month program will be completed by New Year's Day.
11/24/17: Reader chain.reader pointed out I had a typo in the ID for 'Our version of Events' correct is 11840916. Corrected Omake up soon.
11/18/17: I'd like to air a small gripe I have with numerous writers on this site. DO NOT use the exclamation 'Oy' unless the character speaking is Jewish and you make it clear in your story. The correct exclamation is 'Oi'! Another gripe addded on 11/19: song lyric look awful when each line is spaced like a paragraph. On my word processor, shift/space puts the line single space and in the same paragraph. See directly below for an example.
11/08/17: I am home now, and continuing therapy here. Hopefully, I'll have 3-4 things out before December. Look for:
10/31/17: Although a few of you know this, I broke my hip on 10/11. As of today, I go home on 11/02. I haven't really been up to writing much, but I hope to start getting things out next month while rehabbing at home.
09/11/17: With all the attention on Irma, I was shocked this morning to realize that the significance of the the date had escaped me. The more so in that I have a longer history with the attacks on the Trade Centers than many.
I was a librarian in the Brookyn Public Library on 02/26/1993, when the first bombing of the complex took pace; indeed, children from schools served by my library were there that day. Thankfully, none were injured.
i was living and working in Ohio, near Cincinnati and Wright-Patterson AF base on 09/11/2001. As we got more information, I was stunned to learn that Flight 11 had gone through the office of a dear friend. The only consolation was that he never knew what hit him. He was at my wedding, at the baptism of my daughter, held a small party when we left for Ohio. In every way, he was the model of a Christian gentleman. Jonathan Randell, you are still missed.
We were lucky in that several others we knew could have been first responders, but weren't
08/11/17: Question for those cleverer than I. Did Robst every use the lyrics for the Stones' You Can't Always Get What You Want in any of his stories to throw Dumbledore off the track? Additionally, I want you to know that the next thing I'll publish a a teaser for chapter 2 of Lazarus Long. That hopefully will be real soon, then I intend to finish Sleep Walkers Mistake.
4/16/17: Today isthe fourth anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombing. I'm sure the feeling will not go away soon. I suggest you look up 'Dream On Boston tribute' on your browser and watch Tyler's tribute to the four who died.
02/02/17: Just a couple thoughts. I once read a story where Mr. Patil taught Harry how to really play chess, with disasterous results for Ron. Also, I saw a description of a story where the Potters where suppose to protect the Longbottoms and failed. If you know of either story, please give me a PM.
11/2/2016: The Chicago Cubs, Baseball's equivalent to the Chudley Cannons, just won the World Series after last winning it in 1908. Having followed them for a big part of my life, I can say I'm happy.
01/04/2016 The 'Harry's Challenge' poll is over and You want the story to continue. I will offer it as an option when I'm down to one WIP and have you choose my next WIP. Thanks to all who voted.
01/01/2016 The birthday poll is over and Susan Bones' Birthday is May 2. Also, Amelia Bones' Birthday is Nov. 26.
I know that vampires don't exist. If they did, they'd be running blood drives on my behalf.
I am 60 with varied reading interests. I like most genres of books, especially Sci Fi and Fantasy. Particularly, Harry Potter, both Percy Jackson series and the Dresden Files.
I've several ideas for HP Fics, Percy Jackson Fics (after BoO comes out) and HP/PJ and HP/ DF crossovers.
I have some wonderful Betas helping me, but I can use more help, particularly if you know Percy Jackson and the Dresden Files. So, you are an experienced beta, or know someone who might like the the job, please PM.
i think I should share a bit about preferences/prejudices. I like stories with an AU or time travel component.
I like the thought of incorporating ideas I find attractive in others' writing, but you may rest assured I will never fail to make appropriate attributions.
I absolutely hate reading stories that sound great, but were never completed. My pledge to you is If I publish a story, I shall complete the story If I don't, you may be sure that I have died.
Also, I will avoid run on sentences and particularly run on paragraphs. You all know, the sort that take up the whole screen with no breaks.
Like many writers on the site, I have my own spelling idiosyncrasies. I just like the looks of 'DeathEater(s) and TriWizard. So please don't bother correcting those spellings.
As we all know, Fan Fiction is free in the sense that no one receives monetary compensation. However, I feel very rich, since as of this writing (2/1/15) my offerings have led to reviews, story followers, story favorites, author followers, author favorites, and community inclusions. Thanks to you all!
Harry's Magical Strength
Two assumptions made in fan fiction are that 1. Harry's magical power reaches it full development at age 17 (as does everyone else too) and 2. Harry is more than a match magically for any of the adults he meets. I'd submit that these both are false.
The first idea fall apart if you have any knowledge of human development. Witches and Wizards are simply humans who push the limit of variability in the direction of use of a certain form of energy. Just like all other humans, most women reach their physical and emotional maturity in their late twenties to early thirties. Most men reach their physical maturity in their early-mid thirties and their emotional maturity somewhere in the next ten years or so.
It is reasonable to think that a combination of physical, mental and intellectual (that is, knowledge and experience) maturity only starts somewhere between a Wizard or Witch's 40s and 60s and then continues until a decade or so before their natural lifespan, when a decrease is noted. Personally, I think Harry is in the 99-100th percentile for his age, Hermione in the 92-95 percentile and Ron in the low 80s. By the time Harry and Hermione reach their full maturities, there will be only a relative few in the world who will match them, and no more than a handful who surpass them.
The second idea is simply not canon. When Harry fights an adult anywhere in canon, he is outmatched, think of the "battle" with Snape at the end of HBP. There is always a reason that the adult doesn't end Harry then and there. Voldemort has ordered them to bring him alive so he can kill Harry personally. Because of the way Voldemort has stupidly followed the Prophecy, he has ensured that Harry will always have an equal, if not superior chance against him. If Voldemort had simply assigned a DeathEater to hit Harry with the Killing Curse on the platform, the Prophecy could have been avoided. Maybe. In any event, some of the adults who could have killed Harry don't want to because they're on his side and those want to (DeathEaters) are hampered by their master's orders, ultimately the Prophecy.
On the matter of parings, I am not a fan of canon in HP. I always found Harry and Hermione to be so in sync and supportive of each other, that I was shocked when she fell for Ron.
Ron, as many have said, was always borderline abusive at worst and highly contentious to Hermione at best. Yes, there were make ups, but full-fledged apologies? Maybe once or perhaps twice. (In fact the lack of true apologies in canon is a really odd thing, particularly in a 'J' to 'YA' series). Neither Harry nor Hermione should ever have let Ron come back in DH. They should have heard him out, stunned him, taken the Deluminator and left.
I am not a Ron hater, the (very) few times he showed to his potential, he was magnificent, but in the end, he was too immature to really keep up with Harry and Hermione. I believe that JKR struggled in PS between having Neville the third in the trio and Ron. The more I've thought of it, the more I think she choose wrongly.
I never found Harry/Ginny believable, never. For four plus books she is this little nebbishy girl in the mid-ground or background and then she becomes courageous? And then Harry falls in love with her? The final proof for me is she doesn't fight when Harry breaks up with her, so she won't be a target. If she truly loved him, she would have told him she'd be at his side come what may and if he didn't like it, he was SOL!! She didn't and so couldn't ever be his girlfriend, his lover, his wife, mother to his children. And, just like Ron, she simply was too immature to have kept Harry's attention, excepting brief moments.
I don't mind other pairings for Harry and Hermione so long as they don't cause one to have to suspend disbelief, such as Hermione and Snape, Draco, Tom Riddle, etc. I don't like Hermione with any of the Weasleys. Or Harry and Narcissa, Bellatrix, or McGonagall. I've read some good same sex stories, but generally, I don't seek them out and I don't expect I'll ever write any. All I ask for in other pairing stories is that neither Harry nor Hermione be bashed, nor marginalize and that both end up with someone good.
Alternate stories will always involve time travel, dimensional travel or changes to canon (and I adhere to the books as canon, not the movies) beyond that which, IMHO canon can support. Currently, four of my WIPs are in that category.
My Review Policy
I love reviews! To me, reviews tell me that I am reaching my readers. further, I've met some wonderful people at FFN. I don't care if you post a negative review, I learn something and often the resulting dialogue has improved my writing. But, if you flame me as a guest, I'll moderated it out. Own your criticisms or I've no time for you.
Last Day to enroll in Hogwarts
I've had this discussion with a number of readers. Harry is the youngest student in his Hogwarts cohort (that we know of). Neville Longbottom is the second youngest. It quite clearly is stated in canon that the acceptance must be in by 31 July. We can be confident, I think, that his earlier letters he received said the same. If that wasn't the last day to enroll, a different date would have been specified.
Harry entered Hogwarts with very little time to read his texts (thanks Dursleys!) and with absolutely no socialization into magical culture. Any non-magically reared person would have the same problem. Any parent of a non-magically reared person would reject sending their child on only a such little notice. Even for the magically reared, a few days time to get the wand (one assumes their parents would have bought all the other supplies earlier, knowing about Hogwarts) would seem to me to be real brinkmanship. So, July 31 as the last day to enroll makes a lot of sense to me, if not considerably earlier than that.
Now, I also know that Ginny's birthday is August 11, 1981 and that by my reasoning means she should be two years behind and not one. Perhaps for those raised in magical households the cutoff is August 31. Perhaps there is a special dispensation for those with siblings already in Hogwarts. Really, I don't know other than it couldn't extend into September, as Hermione could have then been in the year above Harry, Ron and Neville.
In the end, I think this is just one of the details about her reality that JKR didn't settle on when writing and clearly one she hasn't bothered correlate between canon and her extra-canonical pronouncements. How writers handle it then should be how it is. For me, non-magically reared witches and wizards have a deadline of July 31 and the magically reared have a deadline of August 31.
Robst's Stories Ranked (1/16/18)
Of the many writers whose stories are in my Favourites list, I would say that Robst writes with the most consistent high quality. Listed below are his stories to date.
There are commonalities throughout his stories: Harry's deep love for Hermione (and Luna); His wonderful use of Amelia Bones, a sadly underused character in canon; Harry's enhanced powers, compared to canon; His use of another quite minor character, Millicent Bullstrode.
The one outstanding theme thoughout, is his hatred of Albus Dumbledore. It is so great that each favourited story will have a Dumbledore Index: 10-8: Dark Lord; 7-5: Dark Agenda and can implement it; 4-3: has a Dark Agenda, but not the power or skill to implement; 2-1: Light Lord. One other part of this theme is that Dumbledore is the poster boy for hubris.
Did not Make Cut
Sadly, these four stories do not make my Favourites List. I have read them all, in their entirety or at least over half.
Don't Look back in Anger
These are Lunar Harmony. I've read a lot of this type of story and find it lacking due to the basic personality differences between Luna and Hermione. For me, they are just too different to for Harry to love them both and for both the work together.
I admit that this is an incredible bit of world construction. I got bogged down around chapter 57 and simply couldn't continue.
11. A Kiss Can Save the World. Dumbledore Index: 10: Dumbledore is clearly a Dark Lord, ending with his kidnapping of the Royal Princes and dueling Harry.
10. Knowledge is Power. Dumbledore Index: 10: He tries to hinder Harry and Hermione at every step, even to endangering students backing the duo. He tries to get Harry back for the TriWizard, but attacks Harry's group with a lethal curse. Harry drains his magic to that of a near-squib. During the subsequent trial, he dies of an apoplectic fit.
09. Can't Have it Both Ways. Dumbledore Index: 4: A TriWizard story where Dumbledore has his canon plans for Harry, but is thwarted by the intervention of Gringotts. Different too in that this story is Horcrux-free.
08. More Important Things. Dumbledore Index: 3: A Dumbledore tells Harry story. His plans for Harry run afoul of the Grangers and Gringotts. Eventually, he becomes a valued ally, but only after Voldemort wins in England, Hagrid dies and Amelia Bones is badly injured.
07. Souls Abound. Dumbledore Index: 10: Based on an idea from broomstick flyer, Dumbledore shows the full measure of being a Dark Lord. He cares not for Harry, except as a means to further his plans. He's prepared to kill Harry if he is possessed. Ultimately, he brings down Hogwarts' wards to let Dementors in. His death is mourned by none.
06. A Different Halloween. Dumbledore Index: 10: Only story where Albus is not Harry's Headmaster. This Dumbledore knowingly sets up the Potters and the Longbottoms, tries to blackmail Barty Crouch, kills someone, not the one he wanted to. When finally caught, it's in attacking Harry and his friends.
05. No Hurry at All. Dumbledore Index: 5/4: In this most philosophic of his stories, beginning when Harry falls through the veil and comes out again, Dumbledore does his damnedest to make Harry follow his 'certainty' as to his destiny. He tries to crash Harry's Birthday, manipulates his monitors on his friends' homes, has Moody and a witch spy on the Grangers. Harry punishes both. When Dumbledore allows Snape to try to rape Hermione, he ends up in gaol. When Snape ends Voldemort and Pettigrew, he ends by telling Amelia everything that he knows Albus did.
04. In This World and the Next. Dumbledore Index: 3: This story is unjustly criticized as a simple-minded revenge story. It's real purpose is to counter JKR's sweetness and light Epilogue. Ron reads too much into the kiss and rapes Hermione. H&H leave the next day for Australia, leaving an angry Weasley Family. When they find the Grangers, it takes months to heal enough to return to Britain. They find the purebloods in charge, with Ron and Molly promoted as the true heroes of the War. Matters end with Ron dead, Harry proposing to Hermione, giving her a Marriage Ring, then a sham trial with both Kissed by the same Dementor.
Then, they find themselves back in 1991 on 1 September. Harry deals with the Weasley set up, finds Hermione and finds they both have their memories and she the ring. They shock Dumbledore from the start, refuse to have anything to do with him, free Sirius, sue Albus. Everything he tries with them makes matters worse. Along the way both Umbridge and Percy die. The pair shake things up even more with trips to a theme park, the Ministry and Gringotts, all without Dumbledore's input. The age-old barriers between Houses begin to break down. On Halloween, Ron 'dies' as does Voldemort. Albus goes around the bend and claims Harry is possessed by Tom. He ends by 'killing' Harry/Tom in the Room of Requirements and being thrown into a padded cell for the rest of his life.
03. Who Will Fill a Coward's Grave. Dumbledore Index: 3: The branching point is the end of GoF in the Station. Hermione defies Dumbledore by giving Harry a cell phone to keep in touch. They then kiss and become boyfriend/girlfriend. Harry ends up with the Grangers and Albus holds off warding that house and getting an effective guard. When Lucius and Draco appear, Draco kills Dan Granger and Harry kills both Malfoys. Dumbledore has to take the Harry and the Grangers into hiding to protect them from Fudge's reaction. Albus tries to implement his plans for Harry, only to see Emma, Hermione and Harry gain control of the Order and establish a second magical strike force. Emma ends up running both of those and also work for the Prime Minister too. HRH Armed Forces get trained and equipped to fight Inferi and Dementors. In a Halloween battle, Voldemort's army is destroyed. When he attacks H&H, a wizard in the Army cuts him down. That wizard happens to fit the Prophecy, leaving Dumbledore stunned and completely powerless. This is the current WIP and has 3-5 chapters to run, by my estimation.
01. Banking on Her. Dumbledore Index: 10: Begins with the announcement of the Yule Ball. Harry confides to Hermione that he has realized that he can't stay in Hogwarts and expect to live. He tells her that he won't participate in the Second Task, losing his magic. She then tells him that he'll also be Obliviated and he won't remember her. She suggests they become betrothed and arranges for him to go home with her and meet her parents. After some struggles, he gets to the Grangers with Tonks as live-in protection. By Christmas, her parents agree to the betrothal and sign the contract, which is sent out to make it official, as Sirius already signed. On Christmas, they put on the betrothal rings and promise to consider no others.
On returning to Hogwarts, Harry take Lord's quarters with Tonks guarding him and Hermione a constant visitor. On the night before the Second Task, Harry is attacked by Dumbledore and Snape, as is Tonks. Harry is told that Hermione is at the bottom of the Lakers his hostage. They leave him tainted Gillyweed. After they leave, Dobby appears and frees Harry. He gives Tonks a sobering potion and both untainted Gillyweed. They rescue Hermione before the Task begins, finding that Albus paid off Meremen to kill Hermione. The upshot is that after the official end of the task, the false Moody loses his magic, McGonagall and Snape are arrested too and Dumbledore escapes.
The Unspeakables begin to hunt Horcruxes and destroy them. their efforts yield a detector and the conclusion that Harry is a Horcrux. Minerva and Severus have a dramatic trial, ending with Albus convicted too. Minerva commits suicide. All the Horcruxes but Harry's are destroyed. To destroy Harry's requires a ritual during which Harry and Hermione must make love and Hermione become pregnant. After enormous drama, all agree and the ritual will take place with Tonks attending. The night of the ritual, Hermione and Harry wed. The ritual is a success, so much so that Voldemort is destroyed before they can make love. Tonks conjures a bed, puts contraception charms on both and leaves. Afterwards, they all go to Black Island to work out their next moves. Harry takes Hermione to a bed, under the stars, by the beach and they make love.
01. You're my Density. Dumbledore Index: 2: My other #1. In 1998 in a University bar, a group of first year veterinary students are captivated by a beautiful young woman who keeps looking their way. She ends up leaving with one Harry Potter. She explains that they had been best friends for four years before his magic was blocked and his memories altered by the Ministry. He instinctively believes her and is attracted to her. They end up spending the night and making love. The next night, they (with Dobby's help) do a ritual that sends their 19 and 20 year old minds back to Halloween, 1991.
Dumbledore soon recognizes them as time travelers who had been helped by his other self. He starts to act as he should have from the start, ousting Snape and Lucius Malfoy, and putting Snape into Azkaban. As Harry has no memory of being a wizard, he starts fresh with everyone and forms his own opinions of those he meets, which by itself breaks down the walls among the Houses. Harry and the Granger parents work together to bring reality into line with Harry's memories. In school, H&H work to save lives, find and destroy Horcruxes and train.
After Dumbledore's untimely death, Voldemort is finished off in a most unusual manner. The story ends at the same bar, the same date, but nothing else is the same. Albus is so shocked at his counterpart's failure that he helps to fix things. But his fatal flaw, hubris leads to his death, though fortunately it doesn't lead to disaster.
|Focus:||General: All Categories|