Poll: To CCS fans: If Sakura were to be 'involved' with anyone other than Syaoran, who would it be? Vote Now!
Author has written 4 stories for Harry Potter, and Card Captor Sakura.
It's about time I just overhauled my intro to this profile. It was far outdated since I first wrote it when I was an innocent young girl in high school. ;) My name is Alex, but my nickname is 'Mooncalf'--a name which my cousin found in the dictionary. It's very old-fashioned (as in, Shakespeare used it frequently) and means "a thoughtless person; idiot or fool". Idiot I don't approve of, but fool? Why fools have all the fun! :)
Since I first began writing here, so much in my life has changed. I've learned what it is like to fall in love, and to find a person that you want to spend the rest of your life with. A person you can triumphantly say "yes" to. I also now know what it is like to lose that person. Terribly. Tragically. Because of hatred. I know what it is like to stand in the ICU and to make all the hard medical decisions for someone you love because they trust you to do so. I've learned about disease. I've learned about loss. I've learned that I can persevere through anything, and that perhaps it has all made me just a bit different from the people around me.
And what have I done with all these experiences? I have tried to use them to make my writing better. I have tried to use them to fuel writing that I love and pieces of which I can be proud. And I pray that someone out there enjoys reading them half as much as I enjoy writing them.
Personal stuff (if anyone cares :P):
School: In life, I am a pre-med music major with a vocal performance concentration and a biology minor, studying at a liberal arts college in San Antonio, Texas.
Goals: The ultimate goal is to one day be either a cardiothoracic surgeon or else a cardiologist specializing in the aging population of congenital heart defect patients.
Other hobbies: I do art in my spare time, among other things. If anyone is interested, you can probably find me on Deviant Art and/or Squiby. My username there is strikingly similar to my penname here... :P
Goals as a writer: 1) I would still like to publish some original fiction one day, but I really want to perfect my style first. ;)
2) To one day write a piece whose readers feel it is worthy of having a page made for it on TvTropes. It would be even cooler to be the first CCS writer to achieve this, and yes, I'd like to make Rooster worthy one day. I can think of no greater honor for a fanfiction. :)
WRITING STATUS: On hiatus
All of my works are officially on hiatus until mid May 2015. My deepest apologies for this, but I need to focus on school right now. I am still taking beta requests.
1)Four Months Before the Golden Rooster is being completely re-written. Expect the first chapter of the re-write to appear by the end of
The Calm AFTER the Storm- Rewriting once again!
Life for the older Sakura Kinomoto is getting a little more difficult than it was in elementary school. The night before, she was suddenly attacked in her bedroom and forced to flee in nothing but her nightdress. She doesn't know who or what might have set the attack--that doesn't matter right now. What does matter is who came to save her. It wasn't Kero-chan. It wasn't Syaoran-kun. It was someone she cares about, but... why does she feel so strange now about being rescued by this white knight? Waking the next morning, she finds that she is still cradled in his protective embrace--not that he's aware of it! Sakura gets a very hard lesson in mortality--and what exactly the word 'human' means with regards to a certain blond, winged sorcerer. All this time... she should have realized! She'd been so foolish! Such a child! A short, insightful YxS vinaigrette in which Sakura gets a bit of perspective--all while Yue is asleep.
A Summer Night's Musings- This thing needs a rewrite ASAP! It definitely does not reflect my current work and is far too immature in style to go un-revised much longer.
On a hot summer's night, Kero finds himself unable to sleep (shocking ain't it?). With nothing to occupy his sleep deprived mind, an no one awake to offer a much needed distraction, he finds his mind drifting off to another hot summer back in Clow's time when he got a reality check of the worst kind. Rooster fans get an added bonus with this fic because it describes events that are going to occur in the 3rd arc of the fic. XP Musings was my way of testing the waters before I started to write Rooster, my big Cerberus/Yue fic. It is most definitely also a standalone fic, however. :3
Four Months Before the Golden Rooster -Next chapter is about 1/3rd done (sorry, summer school) and the ch1 rewrite will probably be done sooner.
Set in Clow's time, the story follows the life of Clow Reed from his first venture from his mother's home, to his ambitious experiments with magic, creation of the cards, the birth of Cerberus and Yue, as well as all the events in between and after which both made, and shattered, their family. Beginning with a very green Clow's journey to embrace his English roots at his father's ancestral home, Reed manor, to the birth of his two housemates and each of the cards, the story follows the Reed trio through over a century as Clow grows in his magic and his wisdom, faces trials and tragedies from his own family, the Li clan, topples to his downward spiral into the affairs of the future, and at last sews the seeds of his own undoing in a pilgrimage to 19th century Japan. I intend this to be a very long and extensive multi-chapter story, and follow the early, untold tale of the pre-Sakura story-line from Clow's initial plan for the cards and their guardians all the way to the birth of Eriol and Fujitaka.
Chapter Twenty (Part III): "Down in yonder green field there lies a knight slain 'neath his shield..." The sound of the old folk tune fills the night air as the battle against the cards' storm continues. The bets have been places. The dice have been cast. The victors have rolled away from the table with little more than a few cuts and bruises, but the one loser in tonight's game has paid with every chip in his pile. Now, just as Clow had foreseen, one of their trio has fallen... Or has he? Now armed with the truth about his brother's fate, Yue is prepared to make the biggest bet of anyone at this table. As Clow struggles with his inner demons, it may be up to a more unlikely hero to patch up the rapidly deteriorating situation atop Reed hill--and to risk everything to do it! But he can't pull this gambit off alone. If there is any chance at all of saving the fallen--if there is any chance of saving the town--then some chances will have to be taken, some broken bonds will have to be mended, and some forbidden borders will have to be crossed.
Two Months Past the Golden Dragon- immediately after Rooster
I just did the calculations for the title of this one today, so I thought I would add it to my to-do list even though it most likely won't be written for some time yet. This is going to be a kind of sequel to Rooster--although it can just as easily be read by itself--and will follow the events beginning with Yue and the cards being released from the Clow book, to the events just following the end of the series. I will not, however, be rewriting any of CLAMP's work, but instead intend to tell the story of CCS through the points of the other
I've decided to take a little break after I finish this first arc of Rooster and before I begin the second one. I've had such trouble with writers block lately, but under pressure to keep turning out chapters of Rooster, I've forced my way through it. Perhaps a distraction--for my OTP no less!--would do me some good. So, I've decided to take a month or two off after this next chapter of Rooster and take the 30 Kisses challenge--the feared Zeta/memories list! :D My pairing will be Yue x Sakura of course. :3 I've already mapped out a plan of action for each topic, and have found that this dreaded list can work remarkably well for a writer as crazy as me, and a pairing such as this. Pieces will be stand-alones, but will map out a loose continuity across all 30. If you've seen this and know I'm attempting it: please don't try to pairing-jack me on the challenge page. It *will* result in my waiting and not writing Rooster for a month while I wait for you to give up and steal it back. I mean it: I am determined to do this, and I am very serious about it!
The Lion, the Witch, and the Warlock- This little oneshot might be done soon...
Cerberus is on a mission of the utmost importance: babysitting! New mommy, Sakura, has had to go back to school to try and finish out her trimester (in college, silly geese :3) with a passing grade after having to take time off for maternity leave. This all leaves Cerberus with a terrible problem as he is left alone in charge of the house--and his mistress' infant son! This...'baby'...stuff is totally new to the old lion, but--with his stunning mind and lordly demeanor!--he shall prevail! At least, that's what he's trying to convince himself. But what's a cat to do when he's stuck with a drooly pink thing that might just try to eat him for all the beast knows! What makes matters worse is that Cerberus has two charges to watch over while his master is away: the crying baby and his injured brother, Yue, who's supposed to be resting all day! How will Cerberus survive this terrible adventure? Perhaps he's not as all-powerful as he'd believed when he got up that morning ;_;. Pairing neutral--that's right, neutral! It's never mentioned who the baby's father is (though, people who know my shipping preferences will probably notice that one *particular* pairing just *happens* to work really well... but it can honestly be anybody!) in fact, it's not even definitively mentioned that the child's other parent is male--it could just as easily be Tomoyo. Just a fun Cerberus vs baby fic for fans of all pairings to enjoy. ;)
Beyond the Zodiac-- A TRC/CCS crossover
The story to follow Rooster and Dragon. As Rooster delved into the world of the CCS/TRC/Holi backstory of Clow Reed and his companions, as Dragon shall delve into the world of the CCS canon, Zodiac shall take the story full-circle and at last provide a difinitive conclusion for the TRC storyline. As he sets out on his journey, Tsubasa told his traveling companions that he intended to go through worlds until his debt had been paid—that he intended to travel until he could “take the soul still alive within [him, and transfer it to another body.” But the power to take a disembodied ‘human’ soul and bring it into flesh and blood form is not a power that any magician has ever encountered possesses. In fact, in all the worlds in existence, such a procedure has only been done in one particular dimension--and, unfortuantely for our heroes, it is not a dimension that is easy for them to enter. There is only one person who can grant Tsubasa's wish, and to meet her he has traveled through many worlds until his debt is paid: until he can at last enter the Mother World from which every other dimension he has known was first spawned. More on this story as Rooster and Dragon unfold (so that this summary won't give away any spoilers ;) ).
The Lightning-Struck Tower—a TRC fic written in spirit of the world-mini-arc style of the canon, and based of the canonical ending/expectations for a final ending. A lead-in of sorts to Beyond the Zodiac, but just as easily a standalone piece.
The same faces, the same souls, but different people: almost every member of the group has experienced this rule of transdimensional travel on some level. Syaoran and Sakura’s encounters with their ‘king’ and ‘high priest’, Kurogane’s run-ins with his ‘princess’, Fai’s time with the kings of Shura and Yama. Following his determination to find a way to restore the life of the clone soul within him, ‘Syaoran’—Tsubasa—Li and his traveling companions have been paying out the price of their desires by traveling from world to world. Some worlds are pleasantly familiar to them, some are not, but there is always a job that needs to be done. As the quartet lands in a strange new place, Kurogane seems to be the only one who knows where they are—and he is none too happy about it. Though within the same world, they have landed outside the borders of Nihon Country and are now at the mercy of her enemy nation. To make matters worse, they are almost immediately attacked by a foreign-looking ninja from Kurogane’s past—and he apparently bears quite a grudge. But there are more pressing matters than just soldiers’ conflict. If this is Kurogane’s world, then why does Mokona claim to know this boy from a time very near the creature’s creation? Why does his face and name seem so familiar even to Fai? As if things weren’t confusing enough, enter this blond ninja’s partner—another warrior who could be an exact replica of Tsubasa! Who are these two? What has happened to Kurogane’s world since they left it for Clow Country? Could all of this have to do with the warping of logic Tsubasa's wish had once created? And if that is true, how can these soldiers and their eerily-familiar empress help Tsubasa on his quest to reincarnate his mother and father?
Videogame Fanfiction (AO3 exclusive)
Yes, I finally gave in and started writing some fanfiction for the myriad of different games I play. I has helped enormously with writers' block. However, I won't be posting them here--for one thing, the gore, horror, or adult themes in a few of these are not well suited for FF. I have enough problems censoring Rooster... So look me up on AO3 if you want to read these! My penname is the same, except without the spaces. The rewrite of Rooster's early chapters will also be featured there.
Darkness-Chapter 1 done, chapter 2 on the way...
A Final Fantasy IV twoshot, this deconstruction looks into the psychologies of Rydia, Edward, and Cecil as they traverse the Antlion den and come into more trouble than they had been anticipating. Features a darkly clinical look at the devastating effects Cecil's dark blade has on his body, to say nothing of his soul.
To Slay Abel- Came up with this while writing Darkness. Not started but planned.
A Final Fantasy IV oneshot set at the battle for Fabul. Kain--half crazed by darkness, brimming with power, driven to rage--has only one simple task: slay his brother and friend in the name of his lord. He has him easily beaten, wounded, vulnerable. And with a leap of this height, there is no way brittle, beaten armor can stand the pierce of his blade. All he needs to do is land it! ...So, even before Rosa's entrance, why does he struggle to do it? A look into Kain's mind.
Desert Crowns, Hometown Scandals, Rain-washed Dancers-Prologue now posted
Sort of a novelization of Final Fantasy VI, but focusing much more on the lives and backstories of all the cast even before they are featured in the main plotline. My inspiration was how much I hate ffVI novelizations that never get finished, and thus result in a mass of Tina, Edgar, and Locke fics that never get far enough along to show us the other characters we love. Based on the Japanese game, which I own, and absolutely no one else's translation (except for the occasional nod to a few of the GBA's more classic lines). A prologue of this may soon be posted on AO3, and if I get a good response, more will follow.
A Tale of Two Cities-Presently being written with first chapters anticipated by summer 2015
This side-story to Desert Crowns explores part of the FFVI canon prior to the setting of the game: Darill and Setzer's past. The story is primarily from Darill's point of view and will follow the story of the pair from their first meeting, through the creation of their airships, up till their high-flying days just prior to Darill's tragic crash. World building and world politics will be a heavy feature, with particular emphasis on the cultures and relations between Jidoor and Zozo.
Moushiwake Arimasen--Being written...
This is a 10-part series of related Golden Sun fics that expand upon the same head-canon and that will be tied together under this greater title (one can do that on AO3). The focus is mainly an exploration of Alex, Isaac, Mia, and Amiti, their interrelations, and their relations to those around them. An additional focus will be fan theories about what happened on the day of Golden Sun, what happened to the rest of the Mercury Clan, the plans of Alex and the Tuaparang respectively in DD, the Philosopher's Stone, the psynergy vortexes, djinn, and the nature of psynergy itself. Everything is based on the Japanese version of the game, but will use English names in almost all instances. However, mistranslations and changes in characterization made in the English translation will not necessarily be preserved (in part because I am not very familiar with the English translation.)
1) I, Lucifer
Alchemy is restored, but the world is not yet saved. Vortexes ravage the land and an ancient remnant of the Old World's greed that yet lingers, ready to pounce on the new dawn unless they are stopped: The Umbra Clan. Balance must be restored. But this time it's not going to be quite as clean an affair as slaying monsters and igniting lighthouses: to save billions, thousands must first be put in the line of fire. Therefore, the Wise One needs a new servant whose soul is not quite as clean as his noble heroes of Vale--and fortunately, he knows just where to find a broody, super-powered, tri-elemental freak who really has no way to refuse him. Alex just wants the chance to turn the tables on the floating rock that's ruining his life, and would love the world to stick around long enough for him to do it. It's a match made in hell! ...But unfortunately, the activation of the Alchemy Well in Ayuthay throws just a few wrenches into the plans of both master manipulators... And much of those wrenches involve a warrior princess and the unfortunate humanity of the nearly all-powerful. Truthshipping. A prequel to Dark Dawn that provides another look at Alex's possible motives, the starting of the Well, and the events that lead to Amiti's conception and subsequent abandonment. Also heavily featured is the Mercurian's Golden Sun counterpart--Isaac of Vale--as he spirals downward from shining young hero to the desperate man who lives atop Goma Plateau. Neither Alex nor the Wise One are depicted as obviously good or obviously evil, but neither are they ax-wielding maniacs. Paithos is regal, Isaac is heroic, and Ivan is just plain confused. Veriti is, of course, a saint.
2) Unnecessary Bloodshed
Set the night Mount Aleph collapses into the earth at the end of Lost Age, details in graphic, medically-sound descriptions, how Alex could have survived the aftermath of the Golden Sun event to appear as he does in Dark Dawn. Of course, he's not going to manage it without a little help, whether the Adept himself would admit it or not. Thankfully... Felix is used to keeping his business a secret. And so is his party... Scenes based in the present are counterbalanced with scenes from Alex and Mia's past in Ymir/Imil, and how the pair of them ended up where they are now: one, a power-hungry manipulator who has been hurled brokenly from his throne, the other... well, she saved the world, right?
Oneshot. Quoth the Raven. The Warriors of Vale had rejoiced in strange celebration with the refugees of the fallen village after which they would be named. They celebrated their journey and the rebirth of their world beneath a gold-tinged sky, and Mia forgot for a moment that she should be concerned about her traitorous cousin and the ultimate power he had presumably gained. It wasn't until they'd watched the sacred volcano puff with fury and collapse in upon itself that the Wise One appeared and told her his news: she would never have to worry again. Alex of Ymir had failed. The Wise One had outsmarted him. ...He was dead. But that's fine! He... deserved what he got. And may he rest in peace...
It wasn't until she was teleported home to Ymir that it hit her. She was alone. She would never see him again. Nevermore.
4) Hatred and Pain
Oneshot. Mia has erected a fourth memorial mound in the shrine to her late aunt, uncle, and baby cousin. the earth is neatly drawn-up. The snow atop it is fresh and white. A candle, as with the others, she nightly lights beside it as she prays. The name engraved upon the stone is 'Alexander'. Mia's husband has entertained his wife's eccentricities for years, but he can't take much more of this obsession. Her guilt is utterly unfounded, and her little memorial is sacrilegious. For all he cares, the former heir to the Mercury Clan can roast in Hell--as he surely is! ...But still Mia prays. As their children prepare to disembark into their years of studying with Kraden, he feels his duty is done. He's had enough of this. If she won't abandon her vigil... then she's going to have to stand it by herself. When Rief hears news of his parents' divorce, there is only one name he shouts in hatred and blame: the same one for which his mother prays.
Mia is an angel. Rief guesses he's not. Nowell doesn't say a word. And so the angel prays for them all. Hatred and Pain just breed more of the same...
5) The Theory of Adaptation
Four-shot. The second generation of heroic adepts sometimes appear to wield powers and combinations their elders never could have dreamed of. Is their quick rising through the psynergic ranks proof of Kraden's pet theory of inheritance of acquired traits? Can the skills honed by their parents be passed on the Warriors of Dawn? And, if so, what secret legacies might they reveal? A chain of four linked moments in time hints at the frightening prospect of our young heroes' legacies.
1) After the lighting of the Apollo Lens, Kraden finds himself with unexpected company as he wanders Belinsk: a sorry-looking adept who certainly is not the sage's old traveling companion. Questions lie, begging in the air, but the wizened scholar can hardly force a man to voice his private fears. Especially when that man is Alex of Ymir. Instead, they talk of Matthew, and his mysterious preference for the Growth psynergy. 2) Amiti was always happy to play the Fool, but he isn't stupid. Son of the Magician, raised by the Emperor, sitting in his Tower, he knows he's got a good grasp on all the major Arcana in his life. He also knows his surrogate father is dying--and thinks he has a pretty good idea about his biological father to boot! The young king has a lot to think about, but Rief is coming with news of his friends, and the least he can do is slap on a happy facade. Gods, he hopes that doesn't make him too much like Alex... 3) Rief and Amiti engage in a friendly spar on Ayuthay's lake, Mercury-on-Mercury. It seems a wondrous moment of youthful frivolity until they boys go a bit too far. Riding on the battle high, Amiti accidentally taps a new psynergy he never knew he had access too. Rief panics, to Amiti's dismay, and runs home to his mother, demanding an alternative explanation. She has none to offer. Inheriting the Warp is as plain an indicator as if the young king had tattooed his heritage across his face. 4) It's Paithos' last night on Wayard, but he doesn't want Amiti to know. However, resigned to breathing out his last alone in his room one darkened eve, the old king is instead receives a surprise visitor. An adept he'd never thought he'd see again appears, halfheartedly offering an unnatural restoration to his failing body. Paithos refuses, though he understands the intent. Amiti will be all right without him, besides, he's not quite an orphan yet. Still, his cyclopean companion makes points he cannot deny: if psynergy is heritable, then what does it mean for the child whose father carries inside of him the warring remnants of Golden Sun?
6) Angels, Demons, Da Vinci Codes
Two-shot. It is the cusp of Sagittarius and Capricorn--the winter solstice. To those who follow the words of the Goddess, the night is holy, said to be the day the world was made. 1) Alex doesn't know why he has come back to this place, but on the eve of holiday, he somehow finds himself sinking in the snow of northern Angara. He avoids the service in the sanctuary where he is sure his cousin is singing carols with her family, and instead finds his way to his former home. The ruined shack still undisturbed, but is surprised to find that the shrine around the burial mounds has been lovingly tended over the years. He is more surprised still to find a cloaked figure there, already prostrate before the wintry tomb. Both are pleased to pretend they are strangers. Both know they are not. They discuss the past, the future, and whether or not any of it could have happened differently. 2) Sing Noel! In the days following the solstice, Amiti finds an unexpected visitor on his doorstep: a young scholar and Mercury adept who claims to be Nowell of Ymir. She already seems to know who he is and doesn't seem to care--at least not in the way Amiti feels she should. She claims to have come to offer her condolences and some familial comfort in the holiday season, however, she certainly seems to have her own agenda as well... Alchemy is discussed, as is the nature of the Golden Sun and the Philosopher's Stone. Nowell has a theory that surpasses even the learnings of her master, but she is not revealing all.
7) Terminal Dystrophic Calcification
Even with the power of Light to balance out that of the Darkness, the psynergy vortexes are still appearing. Though Mourning Moon has been delayed, it seems that its destructive promise still hangs on the horizon unless the combined Warriors of Vale and Dawn can do something about it. The Tuaparang must be stopped--at once! Secrets are revealed. Connections are made. Things are looking gloomy for the heroes of Weyard, until the almighty Emperor makes one wrong move... and the Wise One realizes, too late, that he may have made a slight miscalculation some twenty years ago...
8) Moushiwake Arimasen
It's a snowball effect: once you get it started, it just keeps rolling downhill. It's too late to turn back now. Alex can't lie to himself anymore. Mia's shrine burns. It's time to end it--all of it. The Wise One now watches his plan go spinning out of control and fears he no longer has the power to reel in his wayward servant. Alex is beyond reason and about to ruin it all. Let the Philosopher's Stone be formed! But there may be one last shot at preventing history from repeating itself... and the Wise One may just have one more ace up his sleeve... In the aftermath of the destruction, Mia gets word that several of Ymir's hunters were bested and booted from their own camp by a naked, unarmed young woman who had appeared seemingly out of nowhere. What's more, this warrior woman is now calling for Mia... and claiming to be the Princess of Ayuthay...
9 & 10) Rather Than Vengeance--Rise Like a Phoenix!
Many things happen in the years following the Philosopher's Stone Event. Weyard's Golden Suns travel separately across their orphaned world while the Warriors of Vale and Dawn struggle to return to business as usual. The vortexes are no more, and Mourning Moon has been vanquished, but... Alex and Isaac's nightmares still continue as if nothing has changed. As Felix leads the charge against a new and mysterious enemy, he also finds himself contemplating ideas of teamwork, balance, and the potential benefit of a binary system. Without the benefit of a Philosopher's Stone to come to their rescue, he needs to get his Golden Suns to fight together rather than side-by-side if they're going to have any hope of salvation.
My FAVORITE Pairings
(Unless otherwise stated here, assume I ship the canon :3)
All the canon pairings! Plus: Neville x Luna, Harry x Hermione, Neville x Ginny , Dumbledore x Harry (Just some tender moments, nothing serious)
SAKURA x YUE! (My OTP for life!!), Sonomi x Fukitaka, Sonomi x Nadeshiko, Syaoran x Tomoyo, and all the canon ships except Sakura x Syaoran
Tsubasa Resrevoir Chronicle:
Sakura x Syaoran, Fai x Kurogane
Kohane x Watanuki in particular, but pretty much anything.
IV: The canon plus Kain x Rydia, though I'm flexible
V: BARTZ x FARIS!
VI: Terra x Setzer* (why is there not more of this pairing?), Edgar x Relm, Gau x Relm, Locke x Celes, Mog x Molulu (sad ;_;), Kefka x Terra (consensual)
VII: Zack x Aerith, Cloud x Sephiroth, Cloud x Reno, Reno x Rude, Tifa x Rude, Sephiroth x Genesis, Genesis x Angeal, Vincent x Yuffie, Vincent x Tifa, any combination of those in a giant harem is generally good as well
XIII: Sara x Snow, Lightning x Caius, Noel x Yeul, Lightning x Sazh, Fang x Venille, Fang/Vanille/Lightning, Vanille x Hope, Lightnig x Fang
Isaac x Jenna/ Robin x Jasmine [Valeshipping, Garrett x Jenna/ Gerald x Jasmine [Flameshipping, Garrett x Mia / Gerald x Mary, Felix x Sheba/ Garcia x Sheba [Lighthouseshipping, Ivan x Feizhi/ Ivan x Kouran [Purpleshipping, Felix x Alex / Garcia x Alex [Porcelainshipping] (onesided on a young Felix' part in particular), Alex x Verit/ Alex x Owapaa [Truthshipping, Amiti x Karis / Harmony x Karis [Stormshipping, various others.
ATLA & Legend of Korra:
Katara x Zuko, all the canon pairings, as well as: Zuko x Sokka, Zuko x Aang, Toph x Aang, Toph x Zuko. For Legend of Korra: Verik x Zhuli, Mako x Prince Wu (Crack pairing, yo! XP), Korra x Mako, and all of the pairings toyed with in the canon except for Korra x Asami.
Pairings I HATE
Hermione x Draco (I'm *OK* with onesided on Malfoy's end!), Snape x Hermione, any Marauder x Marauder or Marauder x Snape (with few exceptions), any Teacher x student besides the above noted exceptions.
Nakuru x Touya (two-sided especially), Nakuru x Yuki, Ruby Moon x Yue, Eriol x Yue (two-sided or onesides on Yue's part), Eriol x Yuki or Fujitaka x Yuki, Eriol x Tomoyo, mutually reciprocated TYY, ANYTHING that involves Yue and Yukito 'merging' or 'really being the same person'. Come on, guys, really: not only is that not canon, but psychologically speaking, that doesn't WORK!
VI: TERRA x LOCKE! (Dear LORD, kill it with FIRE!!! Pun intended...), Terra x Edgar, Celes x Terra, Leo x Terra, Sabin x ANYONE! O_O
VII: I pretty much dislike Cid or Vincent hooked up with any of the guys, and Cloud x Tifa and reciprocated Could x Aerith both sit a little funny. Other than that, I'm wide open.
XIII: Lightning x Hope, and Noel x Sara sits rather funny with me...
Rief x Karis / Crown x Karis [Tiarashipping, Karis x Sveta / Karis x Stella [Zephyrshipping?, and I'm not terribly keen on Isaac x Mia/ Robin x Mary [Mudshipping]. Sorry, guys. :/
ATLA & Legend of Korra:
Korra x Asami. Sorry, guys. It's not the characters that bother me, nor is it the fans, nor is it even really the concept. I just can't get behind what feels to me like little more than a poorly-written publicity stunt. :/
Pet Peeves in Fan Fics:
2) Comas. I honestly don't think I've *ever*--EVER--seen a coma depicted even close to realistically in a fanfic. And by coma, I mean any time a character is unconscious or otherwise unable to be roused (although technically being unable to wake up is pretty much the definition of unconsciousness) for a prolonged period of time. According to the medical definition, a coma is any period of unconsciousness lasting more than an hour. Believe it or not, it is very rare and very serious for a patient to be unconscious for more than a very short amount of time, so an hour or more is real cause for concern. I've seen many stories where characters are 'asleep' or unconscious for days, weeks, or even years, and yet during this time they very often: 1) are given no medical care, 2) suffer no ill effects, and 3) wake up instantly like a light switch going on. Comas do not work that way. For one thing, have you ever woken up in the morning after being asleep for hours and had to use the bathroom really really badly? Now imagine your character is in a coma for days, weeks or more. Think about it for a moment. Comatose patients in hospital have urinary catheters inserted for this purpose--something I've never even seen alluded to in a fanfic--they also have other unpleasant things stuck in them like an NG tube (feeding tube), lead wires for monitoring purposes, often times major IV lines (perhaps even a large central IV line), and maybe even a colostomy bag (you might want to look that up on Wikipedia; it's not pretty) or a ventilator. In addition, while they're lying still like that, comatose patients loose a TON of muscle mass, get paler and thinner, develop nasty things like bed sores, and are at high risk for conditions like pneumonia. It's a lot more serious than authors usually take into account. Think I'm just being an annoying scholar with no personal experience? Then ask me about my fiance. Go on. I dare you. I know more about comas than anyone on this site probably wants to know--and I should at this point.
3) Injuries in general. I am always amused when I read a story, and hear about a character getting impaled between their shoulder blades with a giant knife, or shot through the shoulder, or other such injuries. Apparently in the fanfic world, unless you blow them up, cut their head off, or drive a Claymore-sized sword straight through their heart, characters just don't die. In real life, there are few places on the human body where a wound wouldn't be serious. A deep abdominal wound can lacerate the aorta and cause a person to bleed out in less than 30 seconds.Trust me: I should know. Shoulder and leg wounds can sever other extremely large blood vessels and also cause rapid death from blood loss. Anything in the thoracic area is bad--front or back. If someone gets stabbed in the back, keep in mind that important structures like the heart and lungs can still easily be pierced from the back just as well as the front. The same goes for major blood vessels. Also, if the spine is severed, this would be a pretty instant kill as well, although I think I've only ever seen this mentioned once in my years reading fanfiction. Also, if someone is dying of anything other than hypothermia, specific conduction disorders of the heart, or downer overdose, heart rate goes UP as their condition worsens until it becomes chaos and nothingness. It doesn't drop.
4) Cardiac arrest and concussions. Related to injuries, but I see these get messed up possibly more than all the others. First of all: if a character gets hit on the head, that's serious. In real life, people don't just get a light tap on the head and instantly collapse for a few hours so that the bad guys can easily kidnap them. In reality, if a person is hit on the head and is unconscious for more than 30 seconds, it is VERY serious. If they're out for more than a minute, things quickly get nasty. People die from this kind of head trauma all the time. The way such injuries are depicted in TV and movies is not at all what they are like in real life. Resuscitation has is problems too. A lot of people need at some point in their writing careers to bring a character back from the brink of death. This is all fine and good: modern medicine has made it possible for people to survive incredible injuries, and people really do survive them every day. But these are very tricky parameters you're playing with. First of all, if a character goes into cardiac arrest, often times they are somehow revived with CPR alone and then go on with their day only slightly shaken. I have consulted numerous colleagues on this, and not *one* of us has ever experienced a patient being revived with nothing but CPR. This is because the purpose of CPR is not to restart the victim's heart, but rather to keep the body slightly perfused and the heart in a state of shock-able rhythm longer. In the end, it really takes electrical defibrillator to restart the heart--and it must be given extremely quickly! Most patients whose hearts are restarted in a minute or less survive, but those who wait even three minutes often die before they are discharged from the hospital. Victims who have been down longer have even poorer survival rates.
5) OK this is a new pet peeve, but it's starting to get serious: putting random Japanese in an English language fanfic. I have issues with this on several levels. For one thing, it confuses readers who aren't fluent: if you put it in, even with an explanatory endnote, it's going to disrupt your flow as they struggle to find the translation. For another thing, it just sounds awkward to be bouncing back and forth between two languages--especially when all the serious content is usually in English and random non-essential words are all that are in Japanese. Lastly, it annoys the HECK out of those of us who DO speak Japanese. Why? Well, for the reasons I mentioned above, but also because 9 times out of 10, the authors just stick in whatever bits of Japanese they know--accurate or not--with no regard to characterization. Let me explain with a Harry Potter metaphor: if you were reading a HP fic and you saw someone writing Harry talking like Hagrid and Snape talking like Ron in the context of a serious fic, you would probably not enjoy reading it very much. This is what happens when people who haven't read a series in Japanese try to make characters talk in that language. It gets terribly out of character and it gets that way FAST. As in any language, characters have their own manner of speaking, and their quirks in Japanese are rarely translatable in a clear way when transfered over to English. If you don't know how a character talks in another language, don't try writing them in that language--or at least ask someone who HAS read it in that language. On that note, CCS fans: if you absolutely must include canon text or characters speaking in Japanese, please PM me. I speak Japanese at a nearly-fluent level, I am a commission Jp-En/En-Jp translator, AND I own the whole series in Japanese. I will happily walk over to my book shelf and look something up for you. I would prefer that than these continued inaccuracies and OOC characters. Heck, I will scan the page for you if you like!
6) "Your issues are not my problem", "Don't like, don't read", "please read and review--unless you're completely homophobic". I have actually seen these lines and others like them at the openings and/or summaries of stories. Just because someone doesn't care for your pairing or your story featuring a homosexual pairing does not necessarily mean they are homophobic. These statements are nothing but judgmental and hurtful to innocent readers, and as such, I personally find them an almost instant turn-off for a fic. I have never had anyone actually accuse me of such things, but I know some people do get unfairly accused, and I also know that these hateful statements exist. There are loads of reasons people could hate your OTP other than this idea of 'well you just hate it because you're a homophob!'. For instance: someone could dislike reading your OTP because they feel it rapes and murders the canon and the things the canon has established. :) (Yes, that comment was directed at a specific story and a specific pairing, but the point still stands.) So, to the people who are out there making some poor innocent reviewers cry, I return yet another of your sentiments: "haters gonna hate". ;)
7) "[enter totally original character here] belongs to me. Please don't steal." Has anyone actually ever stolen someone else's OC? I have a problem with openers like this for a number of reasons. For one thing, I think perhaps younger writers underestimate just how little most readers care about their beloved original character. I personally am hesitant to read any fic which claims to have a prominent original character because they so easily turn into either Mary Sue fics, author-inserts, or barely-disguised original fiction. Frankly, I feel like I wouldn't be here reading fanfiction if I wanted to hear about your original character. But I have never actually known someone's original character to be used by another person without their permission--ever. I also don't understand why aspiring writers would not want other individuals to use their characters. Presumably, we fanfic writers are here for a few reasons: 1) we love to write and share our stories with other people; 2) we respect and enjoy another creator's work so much that we want to explore their story/series further and/or set our own story to their universe and with their characters, 3) we want to see other people enjoying our work and receive good feedback so that we know we are doing something right and worthwhile. As far as I can tell, someone else using your original character should be right in line with these three points. It means someone likes a component of your fanfic so much that they would like to essentially do for you what you are doing for the canon work you are writing about--in other words, make a fanfic of your fanfic :3. I cannot imagine why a fanfic author wouldn't want this! I would personally consider it a great honor that someone liked something I did that much that they wanted to use a character, background story, etc in their own work!
So here is my official statement to all other fanfic writers out there: If you feel the mighty need to borrow some background/supporting character I have invented, you go right on ahead! I realize I don't write big, story-important OCs, but if you feel the urge to write a whole bloody fic based on Benjamin Hawkins and his adventures in wonderland, you feel free to do so! I would LOVE to see someone else make use of the background stories I am steadily building in Rooster, my primary fic. Feel free! Go right on ahead! It would make my day to know that someone cared and liked my ideas that much. It makes a lot more sense to me to invite everyone in than to say "please don't steal". ;)
( Y )
Copy the bunny onto your profile to help him achieve world domination. Come join the dark side. (We have cookies)
Unsafe External Link
|Community:||The Midnight Sky|
|Focus:||Anime/Manga Card Captor Sakura|